Code of Conduct

Default Do u think Michael Jordan or Tim Mcgraw actually wear their brand of fragrance? Celebrity fragrance

Do you think Michael Jordan wear his brand of fragrance? I heard he wears Creed Himilayas... do you think any of these celebrity actually wears their brand of fragrance? Beyonce, Usher, JLO etc....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Do u think Michael Jordan or Tim Mcgraw actually wear their brand of fragrance? Celebrity fragra

Beyonce's net worth is $300 million. What do you think?

Default Re: Do u think Michael Jordan or Tim Mcgraw actually wear their brand of fragrance? Celebrity fragra

I hear Jordan wears Bieber
    Last edited by The Smelly Scientist; 23rd June 2012 at 04:17 PM.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Banned

Do you think that ER, OL and FA actually compose their brand's fragrances?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Probably not. It's a business. They just use their name to generate more profits for the company (which in turn generates more profits for them).

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Probably not. It's a business. They just use their name to generate more profits for the company (which in turn generates more profits for them).
    Agree.

Basenotes Institution

I highly doubt it . Celebrities make this stuff for fans to buy and to add to their income .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Do you think Michael Jordan wear his brand of fragrance? I heard he wears Creed Himilayas... do you think any of these celebrity actually wears their brand of fragrance? Beyonce, Usher, JLO etc....
    Shouldn't this have been posted in the "Just Starting Out And Not Yet Cynical" board? Just sayin'....

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Beyonce's net worth is $300 million. What do you think?
    Exactly. When they say she wore "something containing vanilla", they meant Madagascar.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    I hear Jordan wear's Bieber
    LMAO

Seriously - I think that McGraw wore his first one enough that it's scent influenced his most recent one (which was supposed to "smell like him", according to his wife). There's an unmistakable similarity. Either that or...... well...... it's some form of "marketing".

Damn. Somebody move this post to the "Eternal n00b" board!

Some might (or at least claim to do so, e.g. Sarah Jessica Parker and Jessica Simpson), some might not, some might have worn them at some point to try them...some might even wear Justin Bieber, who knows.

Usher makes fragrances. He wears Nasomatto Black Afgano.

Basenotes Plus

I'm sure the celebrities have very little to do with anything concerning production or marketing. They lend their name and promote the fragrance, but that's about it. Whether they actually wear it, I highly doubt they do. Would you?

If i was that rich, i wouldn't allow my name on a fragrance that I don't like....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    I'm sure the celebrities have very little to do with anything concerning production or marketing. They lend their name and promote the fragrance, but that's about it. Whether they actually wear it, I highly doubt they do. Would you?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Basenotes Plus

If i was that rich, i wouldn't allow my name on a fragrance that I don't like....
    I agree, I wouldn't either.

To be fair I suppose there's a chance some of them do wear and or like the fragrance with their name on it. Also, just like most Basenote members, they wouldn't wear only one fragrance or only wear from one line, so them wearing other lines is normal.

If i was famous, i would want my fragrance to smell like YSL M7 or Amouage Homage Attar
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

yes but not exclusively.

I'm know michael jordan eats at his restaurant, but doesnt exclusively eat at his restaurant.

I doubt it. Just like I doubt CEO's of cheap-car companies would be driving their cheap cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Do you think that ER, OL and FA actually compose their brand's fragrances?
    who are ER, OL & FA??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    who are ER, OL & FA??
    Erwin, Olivier or Olivia and Fabienne Creed.

Close that they get to there fragrance is posing with the bottle for the advertising photos. They themselfs are not into these fragrances it is all about selling their name to get royalties.

- - - Updated - - -

Close that they get to there fragrance is posing with the bottle for the advertising photos. They themselfs are not into these fragrances it is all about selling their name to get royalties.

Bill Ford does drive a Ford car though....

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    I doubt it. Just like I doubt CEO's of cheap-car companies would be driving their cheap cars.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

One that I can probably guarantee DOES is Sean John or Puffy Combs or Puff Daddy, Puff Fluff whatever he is going by now, lol. Of course he would wear "I am King". He just seems that into himself, lol.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

It always cracks me up to read reviews that say things like "Jordan did a good job with this one!" as if MJ literally worked in a lab, mixing ingredients to create his own scent. Even the thought of such a thing is silly.

In the case of celebrity fragrances, I doubt they wear them. In most cases, they're probably presented with a ready to market (or nearly ready) fragrance and a business proposal. Some celebrities are such whores for marketing that I wouldn't be surprised if they wore the scents bearing their names (cough*seancombsdiddypuffypuffdaddypdiddyseanjohn* cough).

In the case of a celebrity as a spokesperson, such as Justin Timberlake for Givenchy Play, I suspect it's part of his deal to wear the fragrance at certain public functions during a given period of time as probably defined in a contract, such as a list of red carpet events from March 2012 through Feb 2013, for example. Then again, it's possible that the only time he ever smelled the stuff was at the contract signing and maybe again at the photo shoot.

It's a business. The celebrities are just used for marketing. And it works. It seems bewildering to me that anyone would buy something because it has Paris Hilton's name on it. I'd think that's a reason NOT to buy something... but... people do it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    One that I can probably guarantee DOES is Sean John or Puffy Combs or Puff Daddy, Puff Fluff whatever he is going by now, lol..
    He wears another one of his own scents; Millésime Imperial.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    One that I can probably guarantee DOES is Sean John or Puffy Combs or Puff Daddy, Puff Fluff whatever he is going by now, lol. Of course he would wear "I am King". He just seems that into himself, lol.
    EXACTLY! Have you ever seen his line of bedding? I saw it at Macy's without realizing it was a Sean John thing. At first, I thought it looked cool. It was a dark brown/gray comforter with a darker pattern. I thought the pattern looked modern until... hang on... "Did they really make a pattern out of his frigging initials?"

TACKY.

Wuut? Lol. How narcissistic! That's what I want in my house, a large, 'SJ'..not! Lol..I remember a long time ago, there was this celebrity death match claymation show one time, between Puff Daddy and some other celeb. They just had this show every week, where celebs duke it out in a fight. I was glad to see the claymation Puffy lose! Lol. I think the other person did too. Dumb show, lol.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

My brother works with McGraw, and I don't believe he does.

Blog Entries

There was a really interesting story a while back (I think it was on The Smoking Gun) where a celeb and a company were going at each other in court because the celeb basically pocketed the fragrance money, and then (1) failed to show up for launch events, and (2) made disparaging remarks about the juice and the brand.

OY.

Don't recall who it was.

I mean, really. It's money that's so easy, even Charlie Sheen considered "doing a fragrance" during his now infamous melt-down. YOU WOULD THINK that people could handle just showing up and being their usual motley self. You know?

Sometimes I get the impression that the celebs with lots of frags may simply be the pros who can be relied upon to hold up their end of a contract.

I get interested in trying out celebrity fragrances in a way I'll bet the celebrities and manufacturers didn't intend: when I see one, I automatically assume it's NOT going to be good, which makes me want to try it and prove myself wrong! Seriously. I've proven myself wrong a lot with celeb frags, as I've tried and bought quite a few really good ones during the past year or two.

All I can say is that I recently bought blind a bottle of Michael Jordan's first cologne, and I'm totally loving it. I enjoy it more than a lot of frags I've spent over $100 on.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I pay no attention to any fragrance with any celebrities name on it. That genre seems tacky by definition to me.
    Is there any exception to the rule that celebuscents are mediocre at best, and more often, suck out loud?

According to Chandler Burr's book The Perfect Scent, Sarah Jessica Parker was more involved than most in developing her scents, and I wouldn't be surprised if she actually wore them...considering that the book made it sound like her original wardrobe was quite sparse and unchanging. She's ok with me, but I'm not buying her stuff either.

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    My brother works with McGraw, and I don't believe he does.
    That must be so frustrating for your brother.

That was Prince, and he was ordered to pay the manufacturer 4. mill. in damages.

From The Hollywood Reporter:
    "Prince was sued by Revelations Perfume and Cosmetics in 2008 for failing to promote the perfume, which was supposedly inspired by his 2006 album 3121. The company said it spent millions of dollars in out-of-pocket expenses in reliance upon Prince's commitment to promote, and when the matter went before a special referee, the estimation of actual damage was accepted. Now, a New York Supreme Court judge has confirmed the award."

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    There was a really interesting story a while back (I think it was on The Smoking Gun) where a celeb and a company were going at each other in court because the celeb basically pocketed the fragrance money, and then (1) failed to show up for launch events, and (2) made disparaging remarks about the juice and the brand.

OY.

Don't recall who it was.

I mean, really. It's money that's so easy, even Charlie Sheen considered "doing a fragrance" during his now infamous melt-down. YOU WOULD THINK that people could handle just showing up and being their usual motley self. You know?

Sometimes I get the impression that the celebs with lots of frags may simply be the pros who can be relied upon to hold up their end of a contract.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Is there any exception to the rule that celebuscents are mediocre at best, and more often, suck out loud?
    There are a few. I think Etat Libre d'Orange made two very nice celebrity scents, one for Rossy de Palma, and one for Tilda Swinton. From interviews it sounded like Swinton was very involved and particular about what she wanted, it had to smell like her kitchen

One things for certain; Jordan doesn't wear Tim McGraw.

Michael Jordan Cologne I've always thought of as a very classy scent. I think it probably would have done better if it hadn't been one of the early celebrity scents.

As for celebrities, I recall reading how Eva Longoria was wearing and handing out as farewell presents bottles of her scent to her colleagues on the last day of shooting Desperate Housewives. (Pretty good scent too - my wife and niece really like it)

Quite frankly, were I a celebrity, I'd find it unimaginable to not take pride in wearing my own scent or scents. I recollect that Bijan spent quite some time with Michael Jordan when coming up with his first scent.
    Regards,
    Renato

I, too, have heard Sarah Jessica Parker was pretty involved in the actual development of her scents. I believe she mentioned trying to understand scent development when the creative process was occurring on her first two scents so she could have her own personal input and direction. She seemed to sound somewhat involved in the creative choices of her third scent, but also expressed that it was not typical her and was rather thought out with team input making it surprising and something new that she wasn't used to.

I'm pretty sure she's mentioned wearing at least one of them in interviews before

i'm sure they've tried them a couple times, but really don't ever use them. why wear cheap cologne when you're rich

I think all these celebs are one and done, just to smell how it cane out..then it goes straight into the circular file.
    John aka Easykiller

I'm not sure but I do like Michael Jordan, Legend. A very nice gourmand fragrance.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

My guess is that very few celebrities actually wear the fragrances they endorse.

Michael jordan wears his own brand I forgot wear the thread s showing all the celebs and what they wear but I distinctly remember jordan wearing his own, that and a bunch of presidents wore gendarme

hell no

I hope Jordan smells better than he dresses.
    http://wtfismikewearing.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by swix View Post
    It always cracks me up to read reviews that say things like "Jordan did a good job with this one!" as if MJ literally worked in a lab, mixing ingredients to create his own scent. Even the thought of such a thing is silly.

In the case of celebrity fragrances, I doubt they wear them. In most cases, they're probably presented with a ready to market (or nearly ready) fragrance and a business proposal. Some celebrities are such whores for marketing that I wouldn't be surprised if they wore the scents bearing their names (cough*seancombsdiddypuffypuffdaddypdiddyseanjohn* cough).

In the case of a celebrity as a spokesperson, such as Justin Timberlake for Givenchy Play, I suspect it's part of his deal to wear the fragrance at certain public functions during a given period of time as probably defined in a contract, such as a list of red carpet events from March 2012 through Feb 2013, for example. Then again, it's possible that the only time he ever smelled the stuff was at the contract signing and maybe again at the photo shoot.

It's a business. The celebrities are just used for marketing. And it works. It seems bewildering to me that anyone would buy something because it has Paris Hilton's name on it. I'd think that's a reason NOT to buy something... but... people do it.
    This is very close. A handful of perfume companies that specialize in celebrity scents approach publicists and angle a contract to develop and market celebrity fragrances. The celebrity can help develop the brief and is usually interviewed about their scent preferences. Some stay actively involved through development, but most simply give a thumbs up or down to samples sent as the fragrance develops. They then give final approval of the bottle, box, and scent and negotiate launch publicity. Most know nothing about fragrances unless they wear them already. Often you can pick out the celebs' favorite based on the scent developed for them, which often is influenced by something already on the market.

It is unlikely most bother to wear them and in the case Of the NY Yankees fragrance, the endorser-player showing up to represent it admitted he never tried it and spent most of his time signing autographs and answering questions from sports reporters, and not about the scent!

The negative responses here amaze me.
    Basically, you are saying that celebrities don't have any vanity! Hilarious.

Or that they go away and wear expensive stuff - you know, the niche stuff that no one knows about, that most everyone posts here that they've never had a positive comment about, the "wear for one's self stuff" that no one else notices. Doubly hilarious.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 2nd August 2012 at 02:02 AM.

I can't see half these celebrities wearing their own fragrances. Nor do I see them purchasing niche. Heck, fragrances are probably the last thing on their minds.

Banned

I would hope that they wear it, at least, for the photo shoot.

Of course they do. And Jennifer Lopez drives a Fiat. I saw the commercial to prove it!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

It is a business deal with celebrities and they most likely won't wear or would wear it much less than fashion designers their own clothes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dampier View Post
    ... and in the case Of the NY Yankees fragrance, the endorser-player showing up to represent it admitted he never tried it and spent most of his time signing autographs and answering questions from sports reporters, and not about the scent!
    LOL!

Well in most cases a famous person would be be embarrassed to wear the crap put out under most celebrity brands. That said, the I agree Michael Jordan would be well served wearing Legend although he can probably just afford New Haarlem as Legend is just a straight copy.