Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mirror, mirror on the wall... who is the civietiest of them all?

Hello guys!
    I like alot skanky perfumes!
    In particular perfumes with a prominent note of civet!
    Of course I don´t like to smell just like a Civet!
    But I do like skanky perfumes with a big civet note!
    Can you guys help me with your take on the civet note?
    Thank you!

Default Re: Mirror, mirror on the wall... who is the civietiest of them all?

The note can be fecal and unpleasant or musky and good to smell as part of a frag depending how it is blended into a scent.

It's good in leather Oud and their is lots of it but its smoothly mixed in with the leather,oud and honey.
    C&S Cuba has it but it does come across as fecal in the top notes.
    Givenchy Gentleman (new formulation) has a bit in the basenotes which is good as it gives the scent that muskyness.

So far I love the note in leather Oud.

As mentioned above, it's blended well in Leather Oud and bearable.

Here are a bunch of successful civet bombs you might want to check...

Jicky
    Citrus Paradisi
    Gold Man
    Mouchoir De Monsieur
    Shalimar (pre LVMH)
    Bal A Versailles (EDC)
    Petroleum
    Leather Oud
    Intrigant Patchouli
    Ungaro II
    Rien
    MKK
    Revolution by Lisa Kirk
    Last edited by alfarom; 23rd June 2012 at 06:49 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned

From what I've read so far, Kurkdjian's Absolue pour le soir seems to be quite civet-loaden (skanky in any case), though I don't know the scent and would appreciate if other members could chime in.

Dependent

Alfarom's list is excellent. I would add

Davidoff Zino

and among frags I don't care for, lots of YSLs

YSL pH
    Kouros
    Rive Gauche pH

Muscs Koublai Khan and Jicky.

Mouchoir de Monsieur

I second the recommendations for Dior Leather Oud and MKK.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Guerlain's Jicky and Mouchoir de Monsieur.

Two of my favorites!
    Mark K

Iquitos is a beautiful mix of civet and rose.

Dior Jules has a good portion of civet (plus leather)
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Muscs Koublai Khan has an incredible amount of civet in it. Bal a Versailles has a ton of it as well, as do my very old Shalimars. Kouros has a ton as well.

It's very well-blended in my Jicky and MdM bottles, but contributes this plush effect that's just hypnotizing. Pure love.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post

Jicky
    Citrus Paradisi
    Gold Man
    Mouchoir De Monsieur
    Shalimar (pre LVMH)
    Bal A Versailles (EDC)
    Petroleum
    Leather Oud
    Intrigant Patchouli
    Ungaro II
    Rien
    MKK
    Revolution by Lisa Kirk
    Ooooh, I need to try all these...maybe even some civet coffee...well, I don't know if I can go that far.

Good- Kouros, Leather Oud, Guerlain MdM

Too much- Serge Lutens MKK
    CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Good- Kouros, Leather Oud, Guerlain MdM

Too much- Serge Lutens MKK
    Sometimes too much is just right!
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Thanks for this thred as I don't like the skanky stuff

Hello guys!
    Thank you for the input!
    Im going to Paris soon!
    I'll try all of them on my trip!
    Any other to try?
    Thank you!

L'Artisan Al Oudh... is feeling a little left out.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I like civet quite alot.

Guerlain Heritage EDP, Ungaro II, Zino Davidoff, YSL pour Homme Haute Concentree ( perhaps ? I am not totally sure) are among the few I like.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Basenotes Institution

Ubar by Amouage . Nice bit of civet - y skank going on . I love it .

Nuit noir from mona di orio is a civet bomb

Quote Originally Posted by etoile View Post
    Hello guys!
    Thank you for the input!
    Im going to Paris soon!
    I'll try all of them on my trip!
    Any other to try?
    Thank you!
    if they're not enough you can add to your list

Amouage Ubar
    Must De Cartier
    Missoni Missoni
    Untitled No.8
    Joy
    Bethrothal
    Paloma Picasso
    VC&A First

Basenotes Institution

Divine by Divine . I find this one a skank fest !

Basenotes Institution

I think Gold for Men by Amouage has a lot of civet too, doesn't it?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

JAR Ferme tes Yeux is skanky/poopy like hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Nuit noir from mona di orio is a civet bomb
    This, definitely.

Also, vintage Tabu is very civet-y and pretty easy to find on the internets. Paco Rabanne's La Nuit too.

Jean Pascal blows the doors off everything else I've tried. It leaves Ungaro II whimpering in the corner. LOL.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 24th June 2012 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Jean Pascal blows the door off everything else I've tried.
    Terrific call.

Visconti Musk du Roy
    Vintage Givenchy Gentleman
    Vintage Schiaparelli Schocking

Joy
    Gosh, yes. The vintage parfum in particular was loaded with civet.

Try Tom Ford Urban Musk from his White Musk collection. I find it rather skanky and animalistic but at the same time sophisticated.

Beverly Hills by Gale Hayman. HUGE civet........ Read Foetidus´s review of this perfume in the basenotes fragrance directory.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Banned

(May I ask once more: Does Absolue pour le soir have a noticeable civet-component? Or is it rather subdued?)

Thank you guys for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    (May I ask once more: Does Absolue pour le soir have a noticeable civet-component? Or is it rather subdued?)
    I have a sample and its a dirty honeyed musk but I can not smell the civet unless its buried in there somewhere.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have a sample and its a dirty honeyed musk but I can not smell the civet unless its buried in there somewhere.
    Thank you.

And for a must try animalic cheapy - Commando by Smell Bent for a wonderful, sweet fecal musk.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Sometimes too much is just right!
    Need to test MKK again. Ive found that I cant trust my opinion from months ago.
    CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Many great suggestions already.

If you do go to Paris, though, I second Larimar and suggest you stop at the JAR store and try Ferme tes yeux. I think it is unbalanced, but it is hard to beat in the direction. As all JARs, it is obscenely expensive, but smelling is free.

Reports are that current Joy is a clean rose soliflore with no civet, but I have not smelled it. The Patou store is right in front of JAR, so you can check that yourself too (and report, if you find out). For now, I keep checking on the vintage perfume on ebay (together with the equally civety vintage My Sin).

cacio

Lots of good suggestions here. For a fresh, almost ozonic civet/castoreum scent (yes, a weird combination but it works) please try the excellent Djin by Michael Storer.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of good suggestions here. For a fresh, almost ozonic civet/castoreum scent (yes, a weird combination but it works) please try the excellent Djin by Michael Storer.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Banned

Monsieur Carven by Craven

Dependent

Dig this thread!

Warning though. Untitled #8 is basically a civet accord, and that's it. The OP was asking for civet being accompanied by some supporting accords or other, and that's not it. But I enjoy using my 1ml sample to provide some more skank to a frag I feel needs depth and complexity.

Last edited by Snafoo; 25th June 2012 at 01:54 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Leather Oud too. Very animalic.

for swap/sale:

Dependent

Got some Tabu on my arm now fresh from CVS, where the employee dropped the bottle on the floor. I can only imagine the hazmat guys required if it had broken. It's a "spray cologne" aka pressurized sprayer so it kicked out a LOT of juice on my arm! I probably had some insane sillage at Trader Joe's right afterward, with the disgustingly waxy-aldehydic (and not civetty) Tresor on the other arm. I can attest Tabu is very heavy on the civet, quite urinous.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 25th June 2012 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Seems dirty but it is actually a raw honey scent. Not animalic civety at all.
    CHEAP CREED SPLITS

Somebody's selling 4 ounce bottles of Jean Pascal for next to nothing on ebay now, for those who want the ultimate civet trip !

Jicky
    Citrus Paradisi
    Gold Man
    Mouchoir De Monsieur
    Shalimar (pre LVMH)
    Bal A Versailles (EDC)
    Petroleum
    Leather Oud
    Intrigant Patchouli
    Ungaro II
    Rien
    MKK
    Revolution by Lisa Kirk
    Ahh Alfarom - always on the money

Revolution is great - thanks Laph for sharing a sample of that one!

Yep, Jean Pascal is one I'd vote for. I'm putting one up for auction soon.

Got to add Ungaro II and Andron as well as MKK and Monsieur Carven. MC is delicate though IMO
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wore Bal A Versailles today. When I first bought this I though it was quite skanky...now I feel it's simply a nice vanilla scent. I blame BN.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Seems dirty but it is actually a raw honey scent. Not animalic civety at all.
    Honey is very animalic to my nose. Not barnyardy like civet, but definitely urinous and warm-musky-salivic. I can recommend Pacifica brand raw organic honey from Whole Foods! The most animalic commerical honey I've come across. You can really smell the hive in it.

Civet bomb.

Bal a Versailles!!!

Don't know where to turn now
    So many perfumes, too little "time"!
    I'll be very busy in Paris
    Thanks

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Civet bomb.

I get more cumin than civet from this one.

Not to forget:

Eau d'Hermès...

Of all Guerlain ... Who is the civietiest of them all?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by etoile View Post
    Of all Guerlain ... Who is the civietiest of them all?
    From those I have tried, definitely Jicky.