Code of Conduct

Default Is it possible...

Is it possible to be an active member of this board with falling prey to temptation and buying more fragrances? This is posed as a serious question; I must have spent between 5K - 6K this year and I'm beginning to think that it's getting a little ridiculous. Yes, I love fragrances, but I'm getting to the point where I can't fit any more on my shelves and am finding it difficult to keep all fragrances in my rotation. I'm just coming to the realisation that if I don't spend anything buying more fragrances, I can put the money to better use. Whether it's a family holiday, (more) home improvements or simply allow the money to sit pretty in my account. There are bottles that I have only used once, Jubilation XXV (100ml), Mona di Orio's Oud and Pardon come to mind as being underused for the price I paid for them. I'm interested to hear others' thoughts on this issue. Sure, it comes down to willpower, but I often find myself visiting the board to find out what's new and FBW, thus leading to a purchase. 140+ bottles is surely enough for anyone?! More than enough to last for the next 20 years. I don't need to buy anymore and think I should call time on this hobby for the foreseeable future.

Default Re: Is it possible...

I hear you! I have about 50 bottles and any more is really not needed, but there is one I am buying this week and I plan on another "special" scent next month...then I want a delicious oud oil and...when will it end?
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I think if a hobby starts to become more of a obsession, where you feel like things are spinning out of control and buying fragrances is becoming compulsive it's time for a break. This will allow you to step back and put your life in perspective, ask yourself what is truly important to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I think if a hobby starts to become more of a obsession, where you feel like things are spinning out of control and buying fragrances is becoming compulsive it's time for a break. This will allow you to step back and put your life in perspective, ask yourself what is truly important to you?
    I completely agree with what you have written, Jack. I know what's important to me and don't rely on any material possession to dictate my happiness in life; however, you have hit the nail on the head with obsession and I think I need a hiatus, at least from buying for quite some time. The problem is that my finances allow for me to afford to continue buying, but I need to be strict with myself and resist buying anything new. Of course, if someone gifts me a fragrance, that's a different matter altogether!

You have a nice collection. Get rid of the abundant stuff and sell it...to me .

Agree with Jack above, and will say this: if anyone asked me for advice about how to stop buying so much perfume, the first thing I'd say is get off the message boards. If you're even a little prone to compulsive buying, there's too much temptation here, as you've noted yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Agree with Jack above, and will say this: if anyone asked me for advice about how to stop buying so much perfume, the first thing I'd say is get off the message boards. If you're even a little prone to compulsive buying, there's too much temptation here, as you've noted yourself.
    Looks like I'm going to miss you guys for a while then! I think you're right though, as checking basenotes has become part of my daily routine. It will be interesting to see what is trending when I do return! When I first started using the board (before joining), Pure Malt, Dior Homme Intense and LIDGE were the hot topics. Maybe I'll go back to using my neglected designer fragrances and see how my tastes have changed. I've got Blue Jeans on at the moment and I'd forgotten what a great scent it is.

I have a big shelf and i tell myself, "as soon as i cant fit bottles on this shelf anymore, its time to stop buying bottles and buy nothing but samples" If im still determined to keep buying bottles after my shelf is filled, then i have a cologne obsession and i will have to admit to it. We will see when that time comes.

Blog Entries

You can have your cake and eat it, when buying decants instead of full bottles. What is so special about a full bottle ? Well, for one thing, it looks good, it feels good in the hand when spraying ...

But, if you prefer to have a full and nice looking bank account (instead of an overflow of bottles sitting there, barely used) and your conscience is beginning to stir (that is not the first time that this topic is raised and Basenoters are called enablers) ...

then, minimize your expenditure by getting decants from The Perfumed Court. Not tiny teeny vials, rather 5 ML decants of a gorgeous scent, or even 8 ML version. Sure, pricewise the ML costs more than in the 100 ML version of FB, but

only minimal amounts are l e a v i n g your bank account. Like Benjamin Franklin once said, "fold a dollar bill in half and put it back into your pocket". He knew the art of saving. Probably went scentless, ha ha.

There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

To me, giving up testing fragrances is like giving up watching movies or discovering new music. There's no reason to stop coming to BN and learning what's new and great, but what you should change is the desire to purchase full bottles for things you'll never have the time to wear. Obsessing over fragrances is a good thing! But buying everything you obsess over is bad. So few seem to appreciate the beauty of decants. I understand some have the desire to own the actual bottle of everything they remotely like, but this borders on obsessive compulsive disorder imo.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Idole de Lubin, it's one of my alltime fav fragrances but all I have is a 15ml decant I got for super cheap because despite my extreme love for it, I know it's one of those fragrances that gets maybe 5-10 nights of play from me per year and a full bottle would be a waste of money. Any bottle you've owned for 6 months or more that still has juice at the neck level was not a necessary purchase in my opinion.

I hope I'll just wake up one day and simply be able to say to myself - ENOUGH

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    Any bottle you've owned for 6 months or more that still has juice at the neck level was not a necessary purchase in my opinion.
    Oh dear... that would be my entire collection!

Luckily I do not get caught up in online forum hype.
    I've been a member of more than two dozen online boards, pertaining to different hobbies, for about 15 years now.
    I've developed an immunity to hype-based-purchases over the years. Plus I'm in no hurry. If something gets my attention Ill simply try it. It'll ultimately be available in Dubai or someone I know will be going abroad or I'll simply buy a sample.

Yes you can be an active member without succumbing to impulse buys or getting caught up in the wind.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

It's so easy to get lost in this hobby. You buy one, you see a review that you like, you want to buy another. You are always on the look out for that one, great fragrance that will make you a sex magnet. But, deep inside you know it does not truly exist. But you keep on trying any ways.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Yes you can be an active member without succumbing to impulse buys or getting caught up in the wind.
    Yes, that's me. I feel like an imposter most of the time because I don't have a collection as such. However, I am at the fragrance counters every other day and learning and enjoying without much expense. Comparing my experiences with the detailed commentary here is a wonderful pass-time.

Dependent

i feel you. i havent collecting for that long but damn ive spent so much already. i didnt even get clothes for this winter cause i was so caught up in frags. the list you see in the bottem are the ones im keeping im selling the ones i love. no more blind buying. no more buying bottles unless i give them a full wear and no more buying frags period unless i love them
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Blog Entries

Maybe we ought to start a twelve-step group. FA.

Step 1. Admitted we were powerless over the siren call of new fragrances, and that our dressing tables had become unmanageable.

try with SSRI's!
    don't take yourself too seriously.. join ThickHeadshttp://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=113

I simply cope with it by mostly rescheduling all my purchases and getting a mere few bottles at a time, preferably during sales/promotions too, also being in search for further strategies to rethink, regroup and moderate my fragrance expenses.

This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I simply cope with it by mostly rescheduling all my purchases and getting a mere few bottles at a time, preferably during sales/promotions too, also being in search for further strategies to rethink, regroup and moderate my fragrance expenses.

I'm new in this hobby but I hear you; at this buying pace I will soon catch up. I'm just wondering... how many bottles do you own? I mean, to what number should I get to start feeling remorse?

I don't have that many, do have a few back-up bottles of a few that I've become extra-attached to in a longterm habit, but some people with more space/cash have absolutely massive collections!
    Probably depends on your income, but it's not a bad idea to buy smaller bottles after sampling initially as you will probably find that your taste alters as you experience more.
    But you can pick up bargains too, just need to explore really.

Not sure where you are, but in U.K. we used to be able to sell 'demoted' ones quite easily, but shipping them is an issue here at this precise moment for many of us.

So, imo, whatever you personally feel happy with, but don't just buy because someone else likes something.

William Blake said that 'The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom'
    - so beware

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Not sure where you are, but in U.K. we used to be able to sell 'demoted' ones quite easily, but shipping them is an issue here at this precise moment for many of us.
    I'm in Miami, USA. I have a broad taste so it's rare for me to get rid of any fragrance; I have done so a few times though, but I prefer to give them away and make someone else happy. Besides, I'm not sure about mailing liquid restrictions.

Join the mailing restrictions club!
    That's so nice that you give them away - sometimes, my daughter has some of mine.
    A lot of people sell one to finance another in the never-ending quest....