Code of Conduct

Default New Member seeking advice!

Hello everyone,
    I am so happy I stumbled upon Basenotes.com. I have always kind of been intrigued by men’s fragrances but for some reason I have really been hit by the fragrance bug (might be that I just started a new office job… first office job ever). In the past I have never really spent that much on colognes / EDT’s or did any research on, I would just pick something that I thought smelled good from J.C Penny or Kohl’s and on occasion I have even been tricked into buying some rather horrid stuff from some mall fragrance shops (not Sephora) Thallium and P.U.R.E Million comes to mind….. YUCK!!!!

Anyways on to my question I would like to ask, is there a good office sent that exudes energy and pick me up with very good longevity? I don't really care if it is a light or dark scent but it would be nice if it was something that could be worn year around. At this time I would like to keep the price range below 100$ but in the future I plan on picking up some of the Creed's everyone seems to rave about.

Over the past couple of weeks I have bought…
    Versace puor home – I love this stuff, seems to project well but not sure about the longevity, smells very fresh, light and soapy… kind of like stepping out of the shower and having angles use their wings to dry you off.

Dolce & Gabbana light blue – has a good scent but does not seem to project or last long to me, smells citrusy and light.

YSL La Nuit DE L’Homme – Another scent I love, not sure how it projects or the longevity, smells fresh, light and flowery?

Burberry Brit – Another scent I like, projection and longevity seem good, smells fresh and soapy but in a strong way.

Ginvenchy PI – A very good scent to me, projection and longevity seem fine, smells heavy and maybe tobacco/boozy.

Ungaro lll – Got this one for my son but I like the scent.

Quorum – Nice scent, not sure yet on the longevity or the projection (just bought this one today for 12$ at TJ Maxx), smells heavy and maybe tobacco/boozy.

I also have on the way to me – Versace The Dreamer, YSL Body Kouros, and Rocawear Evolution (this one may be for my son though).

I wish I could explain more about the EDT’s I already have but describing the scents is still very new to me. Anyways I look forward to hearing what other BN’er’s have to say.
    Oh and if it helps any I just turned 38….. and perhaps the very first mens fragrance that I fell in love with was Ralph Lauren’s Polo – I still remember the girls at the highschool dances going crazy over this stuff

EDIT - forgot to mention that for the most part I like a lot of different mens frag scents thus blind buying does not seem to be that much of a problem.... especially if it is something that has garnered a lot of positive reviews. All of my recent purchases were blind bought.
    Last edited by Hammy01; 24th June 2012 at 06:22 AM.

Banned

Default Re: New Member seeking advice!

Get:

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf - One is immediately treated to a fresh and cooling, citrus opening, furnished by the zesty grapefruit, nectarous mandarin and tart bergamot, with a twist of sharp mint. Tumbling to the flush middle, the sweet florals of fruity freesia, green geranium, earthy violet, light lavender and citrusy orange bloosom are nicely encased by the warm and pleasant spices of nutmeg and cinnamon. This lovely, strong heart meanders to the robust base. Here, a pastiche of evocative leather, lively incense, creamy amber, sweet vanilla, murky vetiver, resinous labdanum, clean treemoss, smoky guaiacwood, carroty iris, dry white cedar, bright sandalwood, powdery tonka beans, herbaceous patchouli and soapy white musk bombard you with scents you have experienced a thousand times before. Remarkably, this motley assault leads to an entertaining and intriguing drydown. This high-quality enterprise is very versatile in light of its kaleidoscopic heads, and can be worn any time and any season. A one-stop wonder, this amalgamated composition has excellent longevity and good projection.

&

Burberry London

Thanks for the advice... I will have to put both of those recommendations on my wish list!

Welcome!

Probably my most used office scent is Sycomore by Chanel, it is a woody vetiver, that is, it is fresh, natural smelling and slightly green (as vetivers are), with in addition a touch of woods and smoke that make it more elegant. Unfortunately, it is outside the price range ($115 for 75ml, 215 for 200). Encre Noire is very similar, and within the price range, though perhaps not as fresh and natural smelling as Sycomore.

Alternatively, I like a lot Caron Troisieme homme, some citrus, a touch of flowers, a nice musk base, very long lasting, and within the price range ($90 for 125ml, but often found for less).

Unfortunately, none of the two is easy to smell in a brick and mortar store.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!

Probably my most used office scent is Sycomore by Chanel, it is a woody vetiver, that is, it is fresh, natural smelling and slightly green (as vetivers are), with in addition a touch of woods and smoke that make it more elegant. Unfortunately, it is outside the price range ($115 for 75ml, 215 for 200). Encre Noire is very similar, and within the price range, though perhaps not as fresh and natural smelling as Sycomore.

Alternatively, I like a lot Caron Troisieme homme, some citrus, a touch of flowers, a nice musk base, very long lasting, and within the price range ($90 for 125ml, but often found for less).

Unfortunately, none of the two is easy to smell in a brick and mortar store.

cacio
    I have been eyeing Sycomore by Chanel for a few weeks now... this may be one of my purchases in a month or two when my work checks start rolling in!

Edit - I went and added Sycomore to my wish list and in doing so I remember why I might of had some reserves about this one... it is listed as a Womens frag. Is this frag really more of a Mans scent than a womans scent? I think I am little worried about some of my friends in the office razzing me about smelling like a women.
    Last edited by Hammy01; 25th June 2012 at 02:32 AM.

Vetivers are traditionally male fragrances, from Guerlain vetiver on. I think Chanel markets Sycomore as a unisex; in fact, I do not see anything wrong with a woman wearing this. But again, the style is typically masculine.

cacio

Give Mona di Orio's Vetyver a try, my dh wears it a lot and I love it!

Basenotes Plus

Welcome Hammy01 -

My friend, cacio, is offering some great advice. You are mature (we are about the same age - late 30's) and getting into fragrance at this point is basically going to be based upon 3 simple criteria:

1. QPR - the quality-to-price ratio, very important as you are still developing your nose. Budget must be factored in - but bargains exist (and plentifully) in the fragrance world and you can get a lot for your money
    2. Seasonal scents - I recommend buying as many scents that you could wear year-round at this point. If you were to buy a couple of lighter scents for summer (which I saw you are from Kansas?) - the midwest will dictate that you probably get some that offer freshness and some longevity during the summer days ahead
    3. Taste - totally subjective to you. The sooner you learn which notes appeal to you (and which don't - very key)...the quicker you will build a wardrobe of fragrances that you can reach for on any given occasion.

My recommendation is to start with benchmark scents for virtually everything that is new to you. For example, while Sycomore is great...Encre Noire is a rather remarkable deep, brooding vetiver as well. But, you should start with Guerlain's Vetiver bottling to get a handle on the majestic "root" that vetiver is. It is wonderful year-round - a little heat brings it to life and it can cut through the cold. But, vetiver is an acquired taste. If you don't have now, don't worry. But, if you develop a taste for it...well, after that, you can take direction with vetiver to dozens & dozens of bottles.

Moving to other scents - Antidote by Viktor & Rolf was suggested by dollars&scents...it is brilliant! Year-round scent with a note pyramid that is remarkable. Fantastic quality and a modern masterpiece! Price is a bit higher...but worth it.

With the heat out in Kansas, I would recommend (for a great QPR) - Eau Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne (2002), created by Olivier Cresp. It has wonderful freshness with a great clean vetiver note that really lasts in the summer heat. It is also great for an office setting as well. Look for it online - it is remarkable.

Also, looking at your profile, you like to golf and fish...a great year-round Aromatic Fougere made in the classic way is Patrick from Fragrances of Ireland. A very natural-smelling and brilliant composition that is green. Also - excellent longevity. It blends well with skin chemistry and will stay on you throughout a warm day.

Those are two scents I can say, with confidence, that you would probably like. Staying away from high-cost/niche bottles - but giving you an idea of just how good things can be in the $30-35 price range.

Welcome & cheers,

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 27th June 2012 at 02:19 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy01 View Post
    I have been eyeing Sycomore by Chanel for a few weeks now... this may be one of my purchases in a month or two when my work checks start rolling in!

Edit - I went and added Sycomore to my wish list and in doing so I remember why I might of had some reserves about this one... it is listed as a Womens frag. Is this frag really more of a Mans scent than a womans scent? I think I am little worried about some of my friends in the office razzing me about smelling like a women.
    I have no compunction wearing Sycomore. I do not see this scent as feminine at all, rather a gentlemanly scent. See below ↓↓↓:

Sycomore by Chanel - Upon application, one is treated to a stimulating wave of hesperidic notes, with their inherent tangerine, orange, bergamot and lemon flavors; aldehydes heigthen their sparkliness. Riding the crest of this citrus swell, haitian vetiver imparts its green and smoky facets. A faint anise bobs about. Carried to the waiting middle, fruity and shyly spicy pink pepper showers the airy and bitter vetiver, and is married with the fresh and clean woodiness of cypress, while a hint of sensual jasmine and haunting frankincense waft about. Transitioning to the welcoming base, creamy sandlewood, dry cedar and pine needle-like juniper encase the rooty vetiver, as delicate ylang-ylang lightly mists the lush and woodsy melange adding a trace of powder, and orris masterfully impregnates the concoction with its wet, earthy and slight violet-like facets. With a feebly sour and warm musk flickering, and a sweet and balsamic styrax adding a kiss of vanilla, an exquisite drydown ensues. This elegant composition befits a gentleman. A tasteful and refined, all-season fragrance, it has average projection and good longevity.

So many good suggestions from everyone. I don't think I have ever owned any vetiver frags but then again maybe I have and just did not pay attention. In the up coming months I will look into adding a good vetiver scent to my collection. I really want to add a couple if Chanels to my collection as well and from the start of my long long journey that started about 3 weeks ago I have had my eye on Bleu de Chanel and now my interest is peeked towards Sycomore as well. Until I had made this post I had never heard of Antidote but thanks to the recommendation I have looked more into it and it will be in my collection at some point at well.

Funny thing is I will probably wear just about anything as long as it does not make me or those around me sick, well I would prefer not to wear scents that are hugely popular because it is just not as fun being like every other guy in the office. So far every frag I have added to my collection in the last couple of weeks I have been pleased with and only one has made me cringe when I first smelled it... Versace Dreamer - I just got this one in today and the initial was very strange and very strong but it settled into a nice flowery like smell.

Some that I picked out for myself that I have yet to receive in the mail yet are -
    Terre D'Hermes - I have high hopes for this one.
    Monte Blanc Presence - seemed like a nice inexpensive frag
    Neno Cerruti Image - the juice sounded cool but I got to admit I really bought this one for the bottle.

Man I am long winded... anyways thanks to this thread I have a few more frags to add to my wish list that within a few months will be sitting on my shelf at home .

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I am going to have to try Chanel's Sycomore. So many positive things written about it here and else where. Thank you so much for the informaiton.

Bulgari Aqva.