Code of Conduct

Default My sense of smell is weird... are there others like me?

I must have spent over $150 on cologne samples, and have very little to show for it. The fragrances I sampled and didn't like will probably leave most of you baffled.

I didn't care for...

- Sycomore by Chanel
    - Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford
    - A*Men by Thierry Mugler
    - Green Irish Tweed by Creed
    - M7 Oud Absolu by YSL
    - Armani Code
    - L'Eau d'Issey by Issey Miyake
    - The One by Dolce & Gabbana
    - Gucci Pour Homme II
    - Chrome by Azzaro
    - Eau Sauvage by Dior
    - Burberry London
    - Midnight In Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels
    - 1 Million by Paco Rabanne
    - Only the Brave by Diesel
    - Allure Home by Chanel
    - Black XS by Paco Rabanne
    - Terre d'Hermès

I did, however, very much enjoy...

- Dior Homme
    - L'homme by YSL
    - La Nuit De L'Homme by YSL
    - Versace Pour Homme
    - Bleu De Chanel
    - Aventus by Creed
    - La Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Are there any other fragrances that are even worth trying, you know, since my nose is pretty much terrible? I don't want to smell like an old man, though (no offense to the elderly.) I'm 25 and I don't want anyone thinking I smell like I just rolled out of a bingo tournament (again, no offense to bingo players)

Default Re: My sense of smell is weird... are there others like me?

Perhaps Greyland by Montale & Shanaan by Micallef

Basenotes Junkie

Well, I don't know if I'm much help but...
    I really don't like Chanel Sycamore
    Tobacco Vanille doesn't do anything for me
    I don't get all the love for A*Men
    Green Irish Tweed is overrated
    Armani Code turns my stomach...something weird about it to me
    L'Eau d'Issey is bland
    The One not so good
    Eau Savage is almost revolting to me
    1 Million is definitely not for me
    but I do kinda dig Terre d'Hermes

So, for the most part we have similar dislikes, of your likes I really can't stand Le Male. I've decided that a lot of the acclaimed frags here on basenotes aren't my favorites...but here are a few of my favorites:
    CDG Palisander-fantastic
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca-can't get enough of
    Bond no 9 New Haarlem-Love it!!
    Bond no 9 Coney Island-so different yet so good
    Guerlain Aqua Allegorie Mentafollia-Great
    CDG Wonderwood-Awesome
    CDG Peppermint-Awesome
    Rochas Desir Homme-Great
    Diptyque Philosykos-Man that stuff is good and very natural smelling
    Bond no 9 Little Italy-Citrusy goodness
    Bond no 9 Bleeker Street-Great

Obviously I'm a bit of a CDG and Bond no 9 fan. I'm sure that there are plenty of people that won't like a single one on my list, but I sure do. Maybe you'll like a few on my list. Happy smelling.

My advice is to hold on to the samples that you disliked and give them another test in maybe a month or two. I've come to learn that that the deeper you get into this hobby, the more your appreciation for various fragrances broadens. It's happened to me several times when I've first sampled a fragrance and it came across horrid, after a few more trys and weeks of time later, I actually love the stuff.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

I don't at all think your nose is "terrible", as you say; there is nothing wrong with being honest about what you like and what you don't. I would say just keep sampling and experiencing scents, both old and new, and just buy what you like regardless of what the consensus opinion about it on Basenotes is.

Hey, Bingo is a game of subtlety and intrigue, so don't make a fool of yourself! Just kidding. I think you just keep sampling. If you are going to put some thought into it, try to figure out which notes, accords, or combinations you like, and then read reviews. At that point order some more samples. And don't be so quick to dismiss a frag. Put the remainder of the sample aside and come back to it at least a month later, and when you think you might be in the mood for it. If you hate it then you can put it aside for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBurningOcean View Post
    I did, however, very much enjoy...

- Dior Homme
    - L'homme by YSL
    - La Nuit De L'Homme by YSL
    - Versace Pour Homme
    - Bleu De Chanel
    - Aventus by Creed
    - La Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I don't want to smell like an old man, though
    ...unfortunately I have to conclude that you really do like to smell like an old man...!

Quote Originally Posted by colognejunkie2000 View Post
    My advice is to hold on to the samples that you disliked and give them another test in maybe a month or two. I've come to learn that that the deeper you get into this hobby, the more your appreciation for various fragrances broadens. It's happened to me several times when I've first sampled a fragrance and it came across horrid, after a few more trys and weeks of time later, I actually love the stuff.
    I strongly agree. Sometimes I try fragrances I've read good reviews about at department stores and don't really like them, then after a month or so I happen to try again and end up buying or splitting some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by colognejunkie2000 View Post
    Ditto this - keep them because if you are still interested in exploring fragrances in a month, six months, a year..., then you'll be glad you have some of those around, and your opinions will change.

Meanwhile, you listed 7 perfumes that you do enjoy. So why not just wear those for now? There's no rush about any of this.

For me, the biggest change came when I began to be able to distinguish between frags that had a higher percentage of naturals and those that were very synthetic. Those who aren't yet there will often say things like "this frag smells like bug spray" (or hair spray), as I once did.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 24th June 2012 at 10:06 AM.

I'd say more like rudimentary rather than weird. Time to develop that sense of smell.

for swap/sale:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Burning ocean welcome to bn

First of all dont feel obligated at all to like any frag just because everyone else likes it. In fact i think some people really love terre dhermes just because they feel obligated to.

I found chrome to be nasty and im not a fan of amen. When it comes to armani code and the one they are okay but i wouldnt wear them.

Further suggestion for the test list: JPG Le Male Terrible

Nothing wrong with disliking Chrome and Issey and liking Dior Homme and Le Male.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I'd say more like rudimentary rather than weird. Time to develop that sense of smell.
    Is this why a safe scent like AdG rates so highly in the list of compliment getters? Does wearing something more challenging (for lack of a better word) mean one's date needs to also have a well developed sense of smell and the taste to go along with it?

I'll agree with you on Versace Pour Homme. (very nice, all purpose, all season scent). If you like it, you should also sample Chanel Allure Homme Sport. It is very similar to Versace Pour Homme.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Yeah - nothing wrong with your list except that it shows you haven't tried a lot of offbeat stuff yet. In fact, your list is definitely not "bingo parlor" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    ...First of all dont feel obligated at all to like any frag just because everyone else likes it. In fact i think some people really love terre dhermes just because they feel obligated to.
    There was a new poster a long time ago who used to knock it badly, and I miss him, even though I love TdH. He kinda kept things balanced.

Anyway, welcome to Basenotes!

My advice is to just keep sniffing - you're doing fine. Keep loving the ones you love - that's the most important thing.

And I repeat - you do NOT have a weird nose!!!

Thanks to each and every one of you for all your helpful suggestions and advice. You guys are great. I'll be purchasing the ones I did like so I can add 'em to my rotation. In the mean time, I'll keep experimenting with my other samples and seeing which notes work for me and which don't. I'll also get around to sampling some of the other suggestions you guys made. Hopefully within the next few years, I'll have an extended collection like a lot of you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...unfortunately I have to conclude that you really do like to smell like an old man...!
    Half of his likes were released within the last 5 years. How does that make them "old man"?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by swix View Post
    Is this why a safe scent like AdG rates so highly in the list of compliment getters? Does wearing something more challenging (for lack of a better word) mean one's date needs to also have a well developed sense of smell and the taste to go along with it?
    I don't think your date or spouse needs to have a developed sense of smell for you to wear something challenging or atypical but it definitely helps in making the experience all better.

Imagine having truffle with a date who doesn't realize how good it is.

for swap/sale:

my sense of smell rarely matches with the perception another person (specially here in Basenotes) has aBout a fragrance

i think a Big percentage of out olfactory perception, it is related to our mind
    WE SMELL WITH OUR MIND, the things we imagine, visualize or think, thats what its going to create the final impression aBout a fragrance

for example, when we use la nuit d l'homme we think aBout the Black Brownish Bottle, and we imagine very mature setting, night, dark, strong, elegant
    and it has some of that to it, But on the real it is very dark Blue fragrance, with a lot of kinda fresh qualities to it and it dries down very sweet and vanilla
    same thing with armani code
    and specially ESCADA - MAGNETISM, for the colour of the Bottle people compare that one to grapefruit soda
    what if they get to know that inside of the dark purple Bottle theres a green juice inside, will they say that theres an herBal minty quality to it ?
    i would say that Big chances are that people would not get that grapesoda viBe in it if the Bottle was not purple, personally i dont get that.

to me acqua di parma - essenza di colonia for some reason reminds me of very natural setting, lot of grass, greeness, plants, lovely garden with a lot of invogorating smelling herBs, and also high class quality soap, something really stimulating, fresh, clean, outdoorsy
    Bcus of the Black Bottle a lot of people might get a different perception of it, night scent, dark, dense, it is woody indeed But i dont get none of those other qualities, the only thing tha Black Bottle say to me its ellegance and formal dressing, which it totally matches this fragrance

Banned

Some sage advice here ↓↓↓:

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    I don't at all think your nose is "terrible", as you say; there is nothing wrong with being honest about what you like and what you don't. I would say just keep sampling and experiencing scents, both old and new, and just buy what you like regardless of what the consensus opinion about it on Basenotes is.
    &

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    Half of his likes were released within the last 5 years. How does that make them "old man"?
    ...do old men necessarily wear scents older than 5 year...??