Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default male frags that can be unisex

Are there any male frags that can be applied to women also.

Is the dreamer a good candidate?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: male frags that can be unisex

All of them.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I think of fragrances as "genderless" in general. Just like red isn't male or female.

Nevertheless, some fragrances do appeal to me more as a woman than others when I'm considering a man's fragrance.

I find anything that is very citrusy or that is strongly aquatic to smell quite neutral in terms of gender.

With spicy scents it depends entirely on the scent.

I noticed a Spicebomb scent strip in a magazine yesterday and tried it on my wrist. It seemed to have potential as a female fragrance to me. I'll have to try the actual scent when I get to a bigger city.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...

I wear Dreamer, DH, Spicebomb, A*Men TOF and Pure Havane. I would happily also wear Eau Sauvage, Guerlain Vetiver, YSL Pour Homme and any other old skool citrus chypre. I also wear MKK which many think leans towards the masculine and gets lots of love on the Male Frags forum.

Im from the "if you love it wear it school"
    Last edited by Alityke; 24th June 2012 at 07:53 PM.

I do generally prefer very stereotypically feminine fragrances to masculine ones, but I enjoy some classic masculines: Grey Flannel and Eau Sauvage are two.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 24th June 2012 at 09:40 PM.

I wear A*Men and Fahrenheit when the mood takes me

EeeK, I've just done my first post on here!

Welcome TheDivineMrsM

Quote Originally Posted by TheDivineMrsM View Post
    EeeK, I've just done my first post on here!
    Welcome, TheDivineMrsM!!

Some masculine frags are so appealing to me that I marvel that they were not made for women!
    Some of my 70s vintage favs are HO HANG - balenciaga & Comptoir Sud Gris (very rare).
    Seriously Addicted to Animalics, Chypres and Vintage Pure Parfums!

Thank you Alityke and lilybelle

Habit Rouge, Green Irish Tweed, Millisime Imperial, APOM pour homme, 1725 Casanova, Invasion Barbare.

Basenotes Plus

haven't smelled the dreamer--- but there are very few scents marketed to men which I would not also wear. I have many in my collection and wear them. No one has accussed me of being a cross-dressing female impersonator yet.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Lol, Knit!! I've been wearing fragrances from the men's aisle since I was a teen and nobody has accused me of being a cross dresser either. And I've worn some rather masculine scents, in terms of gender classification, Givenchy Gentleman being one of them, when I was a teen. I also like Equipage and Obsession for Men (vintage, I don't know the current version). All of the ones I've mentioned I feel comfortable wearing except for GG, which I haven't smelled in eons so I don't know how I would feel about it today. Jaipur Homme is also nice. I can see a female wearing that easily. NOT that people shouldn't wear whatever makes them happy - because I truly believe that - but it seems like one that would suit a woman well, too.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    haven't smelled the dreamer--- but there are very few scents marketed to men which I would not also wear. I have many in my collection and wear them. No one has accussed me of being a cross-dressing female impersonator yet.
    I have too many "men's" scents in my collection to count. Ditto for not being called a cross-dresser.

I have and wear The Dreamer. It is not at the top of my list.

I prefer Habit Rouge and Derby.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Gris Clair
    Tribute
    Sharif
    Memoir Man
    Yatagan
    Tirrenico
    Sel Marin
    Lyric Man
    Micallef's Gaiac
    Profumum's Olibanum
    Mecca Balsam
    Hindu Kush

there's also a ton of sandalwood fragrances, too many to list

etc, etc....

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    All of them.
    theoretically, but in practicality no woman should wear polo green

Cactus Shot by Everlast: a sweet fig that's balanced just right, nothing particularly "masculine" about it, sort of a milder, more natural smelling Xeryus Rouge.

I think the dreamer can easily be worn by a woman. It is not my favourite, though.
    I do own and wear lots of male scents. I think it is also a matter of dosage. If you don't exaggerate, most scents will work.

I haven't tried The Dreamer. I own and wear Jil Sander Man Absolute (this is a scrumptious ambery-vanilla-leather) and Dior Homme.
    Jessica spies a fairy: "You smell awesome, what are you?"

--True Blood

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Says who?

If she wants to wear it, she can damn well wear it - and I have known women who have worn it.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 29th June 2012 at 10:30 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Says who?

If she wants to wear it, she can damn well wear it - and I have known women who have worn it.
    Thank you, JC. Fragrance is such a personal choice. No limits at all for anyone who enjoys a fragrance.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Another member of the all fragrance can be worn by any sex that wants to wear it. If you skin can pull it off then no problem.

Hell I own and wear MPG Eau de Iles and many of the guys find it too much.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Another member of the all fragrance can be worn by any sex that wants to wear it. If you skin can pull it off then no problem.

Hell I own and wear MPG Eau de Iles and many of the guys find it too much.
    Donna, I own and wear MPG Parfum d'Habit and a former BNer stated it was a "hairy-chested" leather scent.

To each his own taste, or "chacun a son gout."

Says who?

Thank you, I used to wear it all the time . Who can pull it off? A tomboy w/ long hair, skiinny jeans and boots. That's who can pull it off.

Hey! There's a cologne named Givenchy Pi. That cologne smells like straight VANILLA!!! Really. It's so feminine to me. It smells great, but I think I'd be too embarrassed to wear something like that.

Another one is Ferrari Black. I actually love wearing that one. My sister calls it the "baby powder" cologne, and she's right. It smells like some expensive type of baby powder.

Also, try Kenzo Power. That one is kind of strange. It's like deodorant soap mixed with sweet flowers.

If I think of anything else, I'll let yall know.

I wore Chanel Egoiste Platinum for many years, and I'm a straight woman. LOVE that scent, it's far too good to wait for a man to wander past wafting it ...

If I like a fragrance, I wear it - couldn't care less whom it is marketed at.

Elena Vosnaki always is a nice read on fumes. Here is her little compilation on GENDER BENDER.
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

I have (and wear) a number of scents that are thought of as traditionally more masculine, but I'm with everyone who says fragrance is genderless. Wear what you like, regardless of how it's marketed. Some "masculine" fragrances that I have (and wear) are:

Serge Lutens Gris Clair, Chene, Cuir Mauresque, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre, and Muscs Koublai Khan
    L'Artisan L'eau du Navigateur
    MPG Eau des Iles
    Diptyque Eau Lente
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Halston Z14

I love strong woody, leather, and spice notes, and I also love big florals like Carnal Flower and A La Nuit. My tastes are all over the map, and I really don't give a flying rat's ass whether the bottle comes from the men's counter or the women's counter.

I have to admit, I don't always know which scents are marketed to men vs. women unless I see them in department stores, where I rarely shop. I don't read fashion magazines or watch TV, so it's sometimes hard to tell. Fortunately, I also don't care.

The only male-marketed fragrances I cannot imagine wearing are those that remind me of men's deodorant or traditional aftershave. No idea what this genre of scent is called, but there are a few notes (lime + cedar? dunno) these deodorants/fragrances share in common that scream "men's locker room" and are beyond my ability to wear without feeling a teensy bit too butch. They're OK on men but a bit dull, IMO.

Judging by this thread and discussions I'm seeing over in the "Men's Fragrance" section (I still don't get why Basenotes segregates its audience by gender), I love and own the following man-market frags:

M7 (a relatively gentle oud/amber)
    Five O'Clock au Gingembre (fairly boring spicy thing I should pass along)
    Encens et Lavande (exactly as it says: incense and lavender)
    Encens Flamboyant (balsam campfire)
    Idole by Lubin (sheer spicy wood)
    Guerlain Vetiver (sophisticated vetiver)
    Borneo 1834 (dust/dark cocoa/patchouli/thatch)
    Eau de Campagne (crunchy green tomato leaf)
    Agua de Colonia 1916 (fleeting herbal orange blossom)
    Bois Blond (wood shavings)

There are plenty more I'd like to own but don't yet, including:
    Cuir de Russie (Chanel) (luxurious leather)
    Acqua di Parma Colonia line that I can never get straight (herbal colognes)
    L'Air du Desert Marocain (Middle Eastern souk)

My own preferred men's scent is Guerlains Heritage - a beautiful, deep and dry oriental for those of us with too narrow hips and too sallow faces to wear the full blown va-va-woom stuff that's meant to be worn by - how can I put it - more womanly women.

I just bought a bottle of La Nuit De L'Homme by YSL which is marketed to men, but I love it and am going to wear it. Don't know most of the other scents mentioned here, but I won't shy away from wearing a scent just because it's marketed to men as I might have some years ago. I also have Penhaligon's fragrances that are supposed to be for men and I like them for me. Don't think I could pull off Brut or some other classic male frag, but I might still keep a bottle of it to sniff (I knew someone in high school who did this because she liked the smell of Brut so much).

I use Rochas Men from time to time. It has a delectible sweet vanilla coffee aroma that I find quite delicious.
    Last edited by Beach Girl; 23rd July 2012 at 06:52 PM.

I wear cross-gender all the time. My latest love is an old bottle of Grey Flannel. I love this on me. I will wear just about any Hermes, Chanel, or Guerlain, regardless of male/female distinctions.

If I like it and it wears well on my skin, I wear it.

Today, in honor of the 4th of July in the States, I am wearing Gray Flannel. Why? It reminds me of my brother's old, restored muscle car with its worn leather seats. He served in Desert Storm. Today, I wear this in honor of him.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

They accidentally placed Givenchy Pi with the female fragrances at a recent warehouse sale. I did not know it was a male fragrance when I tested it. It is a great vanilla! It smells similar to Dior Addict but not quite as complex (or oriental).

I was confused when I came home and looked it up. It took me a few minutes to figure out that it was a male fragrance. I kept looking for the "female" version of Pi.

I am sure this would also smell great on a man.

Quote Originally Posted by slesperado View Post
    Hey! There's a cologne named Givenchy Pi. That cologne smells like straight VANILLA!!! Really. It's so feminine to me. It smells great, but I think I'd be too embarrassed to wear something like that.

Another one is Ferrari Black. I actually love wearing that one. My sister calls it the "baby powder" cologne, and she's right. It smells like some expensive type of baby powder.

Also, try Kenzo Power. That one is kind of strange. It's like deodorant soap mixed with sweet flowers.

If I think of anything else, I'll let yall know.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure. Especially when it comes to perfumes ...

I wear almost exclusively fragrances marketed towards men. Even when wearing ultra-masculine scents like Fahrenheit, no one ever comments on it. I think the fragrances just mingle with your chemistry differently. When I'm wearing it, people perceive it to be a women's fragrance. And I have worn Polo Green. Not my favorite, but it worked.

Knize Ten is stunning on a woman!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by vmarshmellow View Post
    They accidentally placed Givenchy Pi with the female fragrances at a recent warehouse sale. I did not know it was a male fragrance when I tested it. It is a great vanilla! It smells similar to Dior Addict but not quite as complex (or oriental).

I was confused when I came home and looked it up. It took me a few minutes to figure out that it was a male fragrance. I kept looking for the "female" version of Pi.

I am sure this would also smell great on a man.
    Hey! A lot of stores do that with Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin too! By the way, Au Masculin is another men's fragrance that would smell great on a woman. I can't believe I didn't mention this one in my previous post. It smells like black liquorice and vanilla, and I love it! When I wear it, it puts me into a strange mood. It's almost like I'm in some fantasy world

Vmarshmellow, you really do think Givenchy Pi would smell great on a man? If I get some extra money, I'll buy a small bottle. I really do love how it smells, but I refused to buy in the past it because I assumed it would "turn women off".

- - - Updated - - -

I also think Dolce & Gabbana The One could be genderless. I have a bottle of it. When I wear it, it smells like a mixture of vanilla, syrup, grapefruit, and pencil shavings.

Spicebomb, Bleu de Chanel, A*men
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

All of them.
    What he said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    With a very few exceptions for me personally. This being one of them. This is a mans fragrance, phew phew (wolf whistles!!)

Rencontre by Galimard

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    This is silliness. Not only do I disagree, but stating it in terms of "should" is very condescendingly judgmental.

The poster above this comment (firehorse) listed Yatagan, which is about as unfeminine (in the stereotypical fragrance market sense) as you can get -- I bet it smells great on her.

A former girlfriend of mine loved to wear my Azzaro Visit -- smelled great on her.

Several posters have listed M7 -- I'd love to smell that on a woman.

Dreamer? Not so much. But that's based on my overall lack of enthusiasm for the scent, not it's masculinity or femininity.
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

A good portion of them can be unisex. The ones that come to mind are D&G Light Blue and Estee Lauder's Pleasure

Banned

The female's nose will tell her if a scent is right for her, and if she is comfortable wearing it.
    My opinion is immaterial to hers.

&

@ TheDivineMrsM

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Oh yes. I wonder why the hell this scent got the reputation of being ultra masculine. Its sweetish and flowery besides leathery, at least on my skin!

+1 for Rochas Man.

Just bought this as my first male scent after encouragement from the board. Heavenly!

JPG Fleur du Male

YSL L'Homme, Le Male, Dior Homme and Eau Des Baux all come to mind. I wear all.

I think I might actually prefer a women cross over and wear some mens fragrances (kind of stand out) rather than use some of the over used feminine fragrances, especially those that are very heavy on the florals and are projection / silage monsters.
    Living each day one spray at a time

Oh!!! Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche!

Lumiere Noir Pour homme.

I agree any fragrance can be unisex.