Code of Conduct

Default Electric Eyebrow Trimmer

For decades I have hated using tweezers to pluck longish hairs that show up in my eyebrows, mainly because I often miss and pull out 2, 3 or 4 innocent ones.

But I came across a VS Sassoon Personal Grooming Kit for Men, going relatively inexpensively. It is powered by an AA battery. I didn't need the beard trimmer and ear/nose trimmer attachments, but what grabbed my attention was the neat looking eyebrow trimmer. It is basically a small electric cutter sandwiched between two thick combs. The comb part has two settings, Long and Short.

The instructions say to only trim with with the grain (or you will cut eyebrows too short), and to use the Long setting first. Anyhow, it worked extremely well, and I was very pleased.

I have another similar kit by another maker, and it cites the ear/nose trimmer as also being the eyebrow trimmer - which would require a very steady hand to do the job, with a good chance of making one's self look silly.

Have you come across other brands of electric eyebrow trimmers that do a good job for you?
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 25th June 2012 at 01:34 AM.

Default Re: Electric Eyebrow Trimmer

No. I've had embarrassingly mixed results. Salon eyebrow trims -- ye gods, never again. Only way for guys to go about this: manicure scissors, used with sharp precision. Buy mild (or strong) reading glasses if you need a close look at what you are doing. Proceed as slowly as possible - over at least four sessions - until you know what you're doing. You want natural, lush, refined. Not weird and sculpted. It is horribly easy to mess this up. Again, as slowly as possible.

Want to pay someone else to try this? Be very, very careful about entrusting a trim to stylists. You've lived with your face for. . . how long now? And you're going to trust the judgment of your facial hair to someone who's known you for less than five minutes? Even if he/she is your long-time hair-cutter, be very careful. F'd-up eyebrows are REALLY annoying, and they take a long time to grow back.

Not to be 100% negative, but you have been warned. Trust your own good judgment over someone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Only way for guys to go about this: manicure scissors, used with sharp precision. Buy mild (or strong) reading glasses if you need a close look at what you are doing. Proceed as slowly as possible - over at least four sessions - until you know what you're doing.
    I think one would have to find a YouTube Video and study it, like for straight razors, to do as you suggest.

Clearly you've had some bad experiences with them, but I still think the VS Sassoon model takes all the scariness out of the process - providing one resists the urge to go against the grain, and if you aren't concentrating, it is very easy to do.
    Regards,
    Renato

I just have my stylist trim my eyebrows every time I get a haircut. It seems to do the trick OK.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I trim my husband's eyebrows manually. You just need a super-fine tooth comb and hair-cutting scissors, plus tweezers for the strays. Sally's Beauty Supply sells barber scissors for not a lot of money. Not hard, really.

Banned

I've never trimmed my eyebrows nor do I remember them being cut by the barber, but I could be wrong since I oft-times doze off during my haircut.
    I do pluck errant hairs that seem to grow against the sweep of the other hairs.
    But, the kit that Renato mentions, does appear to be a good aid for those in need of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I just have my stylist trim my eyebrows every time I get a haircut. It seems to do the trick OK.
    I only go to the barber once a month, and I need the eyebrow trim a bit more often.
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I trim my husband's eyebrows manually. You just need a super-fine tooth comb and hair-cutting scissors, plus tweezers for the strays. Sally's Beauty Supply sells barber scissors for not a lot of money. Not hard, really.
    Highly admirable. I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't attempt it though.
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    I've never trimmed my eyebrows nor do I remember them being cut by the barber, but I could be wrong since I oft-times doze off during my haircut.
    I do pluck errant hairs that seem to grow against the sweep of the other hairs.
    But, the kit that Renato mentions, does appear to be a good aid for those in need of it.
    You have to remember that as you get older, those errant hairs start becoming more frequent. And harder to focus on without good light.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I use a beard trimmer and run over the brows on a long setting. It typically doesn't remove much at all, but it catches the stragglers. I hit the middle with tweezers