Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default Electric Eyebrow Trimmer

    For decades I have hated using tweezers to pluck longish hairs that show up in my eyebrows, mainly because I often miss and pull out 2, 3 or 4 innocent ones.

    But I came across a VS Sassoon Personal Grooming Kit for Men, going relatively inexpensively. It is powered by an AA battery. I didn't need the beard trimmer and ear/nose trimmer attachments, but what grabbed my attention was the neat looking eyebrow trimmer. It is basically a small electric cutter sandwiched between two thick combs. The comb part has two settings, Long and Short.

    The instructions say to only trim with with the grain (or you will cut eyebrows too short), and to use the Long setting first. Anyhow, it worked extremely well, and I was very pleased.

    I have another similar kit by another maker, and it cites the ear/nose trimmer as also being the eyebrow trimmer - which would require a very steady hand to do the job, with a good chance of making one's self look silly.

    Have you come across other brands of electric eyebrow trimmers that do a good job for you?
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 25th June 2012 at 01:34 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Electric Eyebrow Trimmer

    No. I've had embarrassingly mixed results. Salon eyebrow trims -- ye gods, never again. Only way for guys to go about this: manicure scissors, used with sharp precision. Buy mild (or strong) reading glasses if you need a close look at what you are doing. Proceed as slowly as possible - over at least four sessions - until you know what you're doing. You want natural, lush, refined. Not weird and sculpted. It is horribly easy to mess this up. Again, as slowly as possible.

    Want to pay someone else to try this? Be very, very careful about entrusting a trim to stylists. You've lived with your face for. . . how long now? And you're going to trust the judgment of your facial hair to someone who's known you for less than five minutes? Even if he/she is your long-time hair-cutter, be very careful. F'd-up eyebrows are REALLY annoying, and they take a long time to grow back.

    Not to be 100% negative, but you have been warned. Trust your own good judgment over someone else's.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Electric Eyebrow Trimmer

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Only way for guys to go about this: manicure scissors, used with sharp precision. Buy mild (or strong) reading glasses if you need a close look at what you are doing. Proceed as slowly as possible - over at least four sessions - until you know what you're doing.
    I think one would have to find a YouTube Video and study it, like for straight razors, to do as you suggest.

    Clearly you've had some bad experiences with them, but I still think the VS Sassoon model takes all the scariness out of the process - providing one resists the urge to go against the grain, and if you aren't concentrating, it is very easy to do.
    Regards,
    Renato

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & B˙zios
    Posts
    79,401

    Default Re: Electric Eyebrow Trimmer

    I just have my stylist trim my eyebrows every time I get a haircut. It seems to do the trick OK.

  5. #5
    Lifelong Sniffaholic
    30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,386
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Electric Eyebrow Trimmer

    I trim my husband's eyebrows manually. You just need a super-fine tooth comb and hair-cutting scissors, plus tweezers for the strays. Sally's Beauty Supply sells barber scissors for not a lot of money. Not hard, really.


  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    6,676

    Default Re: Electric Eyebrow Trimmer

    I've never trimmed my eyebrows nor do I remember them being cut by the barber, but I could be wrong since I oft-times doze off during my haircut.
    I do pluck errant hairs that seem to grow against the sweep of the other hairs.
    But, the kit that Renato mentions, does appear to be a good aid for those in need of it.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Electric Eyebrow Trimmer

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I just have my stylist trim my eyebrows every time I get a haircut. It seems to do the trick OK.
    I only go to the barber once a month, and I need the eyebrow trim a bit more often.
    Regards,
    Renato

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I trim my husband's eyebrows manually. You just need a super-fine tooth comb and hair-cutting scissors, plus tweezers for the strays. Sally's Beauty Supply sells barber scissors for not a lot of money. Not hard, really.
    Highly admirable. I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't attempt it though.
    Regards,
    Renato

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    I've never trimmed my eyebrows nor do I remember them being cut by the barber, but I could be wrong since I oft-times doze off during my haircut.
    I do pluck errant hairs that seem to grow against the sweep of the other hairs.
    But, the kit that Renato mentions, does appear to be a good aid for those in need of it.
    You have to remember that as you get older, those errant hairs start becoming more frequent. And harder to focus on without good light.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  8. #8

    Default Re: Electric Eyebrow Trimmer

    I use a beard trimmer and run over the brows on a long setting. It typically doesn't remove much at all, but it catches the stragglers. I hit the middle with tweezers

Similar Threads

  1. Beard trimmer AND shaver?
    By Nannoo in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22nd December 2011, 05:30 AM
  2. Utilizing Eyebrow Hair
    By thatmakesscents in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 19th November 2011, 05:42 AM
  3. Article: Getting a close electric shave from an electric shaver
    By Grant Osborne in forum Article Comments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28th December 2009, 07:28 PM
  4. Best Trimmer for a guy?
    By s0me0nesmind1 in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9th July 2009, 01:40 PM
  5. Grey eyebrow pencil?
    By Indiscreet in forum Cosmetics & Beauty
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st February 2007, 03:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •