Code of Conduct

Default 'Must Try' Creed Fragrances

Looking to sample some different Creed fragrances besides the obvious, (Aventus & GIT which I have).

Specifically looking for opinions on the following...

- Himalaya
    - Imperial Millesime
    - Original Vetiver
    - Royal Water
    - Silver Mountain Water
    - Virgin Island Water

Feel free to suggest others by Creed that are not on this list, but in your opinion are 'must try' fragrances.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 'Must Try' Creed Fragrances

The ones you have there are the good "modern" ones, but you should do yourself a favor and check out more traditional things like:

Bois du Portugal
    Windsor
    Santal Imperial
    Bois de Cedrat
    Baie de Genievre

...and of course the new Royal Oud - definitely a "must try".

Some people find that the popular ones you've listed aren't particularly thrilling - those folks tend to favor the older-styled fragrances.

Also watch for Feuilles Vertes, reissued this year. That one has quite a reputation, and it's a limited edition that people have been hankering for, for a long time. Not sure where you can sniff it, though - is it just in NYC, guys?

Virgin Island Water...especially for the summer.

Aventus and Milesime Imperial

They're all good fragrances, I like them.

It all comes down to what you like and think of as good and bad...I really don't think they're worth retail and they are pumped up and overhyped into something they're really not. I liked the one's I tried but I think they get an unwarranted/unnecessary of amount hype. I think they're good but nothing extraordinary in my eyes, some would beg to differ though.

Green Irish Tweed is nice too...I think its the most hyped of the line in my opinion.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Millesime Imperial is the most beautiful scent I have ever sampled. It is versatile and good for any occasion.

Silver Mountain Water is similar to Millesime Imperial, except more spicy and peppery. SMW is more controversial, but none the less very enjoyable.

Here you go:

- Himalaya - second Creed I bought. Fresh, soapy, and great longevity.
    - Imperial Millesime - I don't own this but have tried it. Decent smell, poor longevity. I get melon with a marine & salty vibe.
    - Original Vetiver - I don't own this but will some day. Fresh, soapy, very green. Decent longevity.
    - Royal Water - one of my least favorite Creeds. Floral & IMO feminine.
    - Silver Mountain Water - first Creed I bought and my favorite fragrance of all time. Decent longevity (especially when sprayed on clothing). I really like the tea note in this.
    - Virgin Island Water - third Creed I bought. Strong lime note with coconut in the dry down. I get pretty good longevity. Great scent for the summer.

Once you've tried the above, you should try the following:

Royal Oud - lots of woods in this. I also get a piped tobacco vibe. Not a bad scent, not the best either.
    Windsor - this is one of the best fragrances out there. It has the most natural rose note that I've ever smelt in a fragrance.
    Spice & Wood - I thought it was okay, but my wife really liked it on me. Great longevity.

Why does everyone keep saying MI has poor longevity, maybe its just this batch but I had a day out in the sun sweated, still smell it...put it on before bed, wake up the next day still smell it..its lasting exceptionally well on me for some reason way better then GIT.

I love Original Vetiver it was my first niche bottle.

A case could be made for trying most all of them, but one that never has gotten the attention it deserves, IMO, is Santal Imperial. Much better than Original Santal, but not as heavy as the wonderful (and now discontinued) Bois de Santal.

IMHO, Millesime Imperial is a definite 'must try' aside from those that you've already mentioned. Make sure you try a 2011 batch.

Original Vetiver was my first Creed (Aventus wasn't out at the time) and it still good today. In fact it's my SOTD today. It's worth a try, a very inoffensive scent and great for the summer, but not an absolute must buy, just a 'must try'.

Aventus, Green Irish Tweed are two MUST tries in that order.
    Millesime Imperial EXTREME is another one but it's a community fragrance (though beats the shit out of Creed's product)

Banned

"Must try" from Creed: Acier Aluminium, Orange Spice and Vintage Tabarome. At least the older Creeds had some kind of a "truly original" character, to quote the title of another recent thread.

Green Irish Tweed
    Millesime Imperial
    Aventus
    Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    The ones you have there are the good "modern" ones, but you should do yourself a favor and check out more traditional things like:

Bois du Portugal
    Windsor
    Santal Imperial
    Bois de Cedrat
    Baie de Genievre

...and of course the new Royal Oud - definitely a "must try".

Some people find that the popular ones you've listed aren't particularly thrilling - those folks tend to favor the older-styled fragrances.

Also watch for Feuilles Vertes, reissued this year. That one has quite a reputation, and it's a limited edition that people have been hankering for, for a long time. Not sure where you can sniff it, though - is it just in NYC, guys?
    I'll second this entire post and add Chevrefeuille, Feuilles Verte, Green Valley, Orange Spice, Royal English Leather, and Royal Scottish Lavender.

The thing about Creed is that their greatness doesn't lie in bold, challenging compositions, but in their subtle, shy ones. There is no "must try" in their line, I think, but there are plenty that are fantastic and may work wonders for you.

If you don't mind feminine fragrances, Creed makes the best fruity florals, a genre that I can't stand when produced by any other house(so far).
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by _puRe View Post
    Specifically looking for opinions on the following...

- Himalaya
    - Imperial Millesime
    - Original Vetiver
    - Royal Water
    - Silver Mountain Water
    - Virgin Island Water
    All good ones in your list. I'd add Bois Du Portugal & Royal Scottish Lavender

I tried Selection Verte at the weekend. It's not my cup of tea, but I did like it - very green and minty, so I can see why people love it here.

I would say this is worth trying if you can get your hands on it. Be careful though, the price tends to bite a bit!

My favorites are Green irish Tweed, Bois du Portugal, Baie de Genievre, and Royal English Leather, but I would suggest you try as many of them as you can. I'm glad to see Bois de Cedrat mentioned here, too. I'd probably snap up a bottle of that if I saw one at a good price. Some of the women's scents (I'm thinking about Irisia at the moment) are also wearable by men. The only one I really can't stand is Royal Water.

Himalaya- It's clean and soapy, but it smells just like Paco Rabanne XS Pour Homme. Do yourself a favor and get the Paco Rabanne.

Millesime Imperial- Fantastic fruity melon and sea salt notes that smell very natural. Smells like your somewhere by the coast wearing sandals and enjoying a breezy day by the sea. 4 hour longevity on a good day.

Original Vetiver- Soapy summertime goodness. Shamelessly Ripped off Thierry Mugler Cologne big time. OV does smell a little more natural, but your average joe isn't gonna be able to tell them apart.

Silver Mountain Water- Inky, fresh, and cold. It was cloned very well by Al Rehab's Silver. $7 for an EDP that smells 90% just like SMW and lasts a little longer. I also get 4 hours with SMW on a good day.

Virgin Island Water- Amazing coconut and day at the beach smell. Pretty decent longevity at 6-8 hours. Perfect for a tropical vacation, which makes it a little one dimensional. Some say Set Sail St Barts and Coconut Lime Verbena smell just like it. They are definitely similar in style, but neither are as fresh as VIW. That being said, they're also very cheap and great alternatives.

Some other's I'll add are:

Original Santal- Sweet, slightly spicy, totally nuclear in the longevity and projection department. A very good ripoff of Mont Blanc Individuel at 5 times the price.

Jardin D'Amalfi- Unisex fruity/flowery scent, but totally wearable for a guy. Reminds me a bit of Versace Man Eau Fraiche, but much more natural smelling. 6-8 hour longevity. This one is incredibly expensive (moreso than the other already overpriced Creeds), so it's best to get in on a split.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Windsor
    Acier Aluminium
    Silver Mountain Water
    Royal Oud
    Bois du Portugal (a little more mature)

Royal Oud

Definitely Virgin Island Water for me. I'm not the biggest Creed fan in the world because I really don't care much for the ambergris house note, but VIW is completely different and amazing.

Personally, I think your list is fine, although I'd drop Royal Water and at least try Bois du Portugal.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Everything released from january 1st 1760 ---december 31st 2009

"Must try" from Creed:

All the stuff on your list, and..

Bois du Portugal
    Original Santal
    Royal Oud
    Erolfa
    Acier Aluminium

I wouldn't say anything other than what you have, is really bottle worthy. I would say that Himalaya, SMW, and VIW definitley deserve a try. Original Vetiver smelled very buttery and lush in the opening, which I did not like at all, the dry down was nice though. Royal Water definitley smells dated, it's a dark citrus. Acier Aluminum is an oddball, it smelled like metallic bananas and bread, if you could imagine this. I believe these are the ones from Creed I have tried. To me, the only ones bottle worthy are GIT, Aventus, if ya get a good batch, and VIW. People complain on VIW's longevity, but it does very well on me, 8+ hours.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Tabarome Millesime yet! On first smell it was an instant favorite and is a highly complimented scent each time I wear it. Its one I wear at home a lot as well to simply enjoy it. You gotta try it.