Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Dior Homme Sport Vs Dior Homme Sport 2012.... Who is King?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dior Homme Sport 2012

28 43.75%
  • Dior Homme Sport Original

29 45.31%
  • They both smell the same to me.

7 10.94%

Default Dior Homme Sport Vs Dior Homme Sport 2012...... Who is King?

I had and liked the original Dior Homme Sport but i have learned that they have reformulated this in 2012.

to the people who have used and worn both versions, what is the verdict?

Default Re: Dior Homme Sport Vs Dior Homme Sport 2012...... Who is King?

I only know the original release and IMO its not a bad sport's flanker.

Dior Homme Sport 2012

For some reason I like the old formulation. Maybe because it has a stronger iris note?

I like 2012 better; or rather, I didn't like the original at all, but I do like 2012.

The new one is "smoother" whereas the old one has this uncomfortable prickling sensation to my nose. I think it's the ginger that rubs me the wrong way.

Also I feel like the iris is ramped up in the 2012 version whereas it is barely discernable in the earlier one (although I admittedly haven't smelled it that often since I didn't buy it--my opinion is just coming from various samplings).

Even with the reformulation, which I think is an improvement, it is still the weakest of the Dior Homme line though in my opinion.

I was about to make a thread about the new one. I'm definitely a bigger fan of the reformulation. The original didn't fit the Dior Homme line... this new one does.
    Top 5
    1. Gucci PH2
    2. Aventus
    3. Hermes Un Jardin Méditerranée
    4. Creed GIT
    5. Dior Homme/Intense

Current swap list found here ... http://tinyurl.com/9udvk8q

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    For some reason I like the old formulation. Maybe because it has a stronger iris note?
    The iris is detectable in the new formulation. I'm not aware of any iris in the original DHS though.

I smelled a Dior Homme Sport at Dillards today. Reminds me of a better Armani Mania
    I have no idea which version they had though

Dior Homme Sport 2012 by far. Toned down lemon, iris note in the 2012 version....more sophisticated and more complex. Love the cedar drydown. Blind-bought Dior Homme Sport (old version) and barely wore it.

This fragrance and Creed Aventus are my two summer fragrances.

Jose

the new DHS

I say the original, I own a bottle and it's one of my faves. The new one I feel, so far at least, misses that sharp ginger and lemon opening, it's much more subdued and softer.

DHS 2012. There is an evident iris note and it's much less generic to my nose.

Dior Homme Sport 2008.
    I love the sharp lemon opening and the ginger heart.
    It's warmer than the 2012 which btw is too similar to the original Dior Homme so I don't see why have them both.
    I'm sad they reformulated it.
    Dior Homme Sport was such a beautiful scent that I think it's unfair that our world will no longer have it. They should relanch it with another name (since it had nothing to do with the original anyway).

I think 2012 reformulation is better. I also like the old one but reformulation has higher quality, more elegant.

I do not get a high dose of iris as it is a very dominant note in Dior Homme. I finished my first bottle in 2012 summer and bought another one last week. It is my go-to scent in the summer.

I like the 2012 reformulation better

I just received a bottle of each today, that I bought blind.

I am wearing one on each arm. It is a very difficult choice. The original has a very sharp lemon/ginger opening, which I like a lot. I think I will find that very refreshing in the heat of summer. However, I think I lean toward the 2012 formulation, as it seems a little more refined and classy. Honestly, I am very glad I have both. I fact, I think I am going to buy a second bottle of each - especially the original formulation, as it is probably going to be hard to get in the future.

So, IMO, if I had to pick only 1, I would say the 2012 version. But I highly recommend both.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Basenotes Junkie

Both are absolutely abominable dreck. DHS is one of the worst fragrances I've ever smelled. I say this as a huge fan of Dior in general.

I like the original simply because it is different from Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense.
    Current top 10 (No order):

1. Pure Havane
    2. Menthe Fraiche
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    5. Green Irish Tweed
    6. Fahrenheit
    7. Musc Ravageur
    8. Tonka Imperial
    9. Gucci Pour Homme II
    10. Dior Homme Intense

I like the reform.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I just received a bottle of each today, that I bought blind.

I am wearing one on each arm. It is a very difficult choice. The original has a very sharp lemon/ginger opening, which I like a lot. I think I will find that very refreshing in the heat of summer. However, I think I lean toward the 2012 formulation, as it seems a little more refined and classy. Honestly, I am very glad I have both. I fact, I think I am going to buy a second bottle of each - especially the original formulation, as it is probably going to be hard to get in the future.

So, IMO, if I had to pick only 1, I would say the 2012 version. But I highly recommend both.
    I heard there is a way to tell them apart from the box...can you confirm? Also for the other posters here is the difference in the bottle.

Just got my 2012 in. I haven't tried the original formulation, but I actually really like this one. I don't get the iris note everyone is talking about though (thankfully)

Quote Originally Posted by alexwagner View Post
    I heard there is a way to tell them apart from the box...can you confirm? Also for the other posters here is the difference in the bottle.

Yes - your pictures match what I have found to be true. Also, the boxes look different as well. The Original formulation box is solid white, with a black square which contains the product name. The newer formulation (2012) box is striped (white on white - like a subtle pinstriping). It has a silver square in the center which contains the text of the product name.
    Also, the new formulation has a silver pinstripe around the middle of the box, where the original has a red pinstripe.

Unfortunately, i dont have my camera handy, but you should be able to spot the difference based on my description.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by amw9490 View Post
    I like the original simply because it is different from Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense.
    +1 I love the ginger and lemon blast of the original, the current version is much more subdued.
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

Original IMO.

Reform

I just bought a new 1.7oz of 2008 Dior Homme Sport and man did I forgot how beautiful this stuff was. If this didn't release in the shadow of the original Dior Homme and wasn't weighed down by the sports tag it would have been much better received. I predict in the future 2008 DHS is going to get quite a large following. Mmm dat ginger!

Also note I love the 2012 DHS but I'm thinking now they shouldn't even be compared as the 2012 edition is not really a reformulation it's a completely new fragrance and fans should absolutely just buy both as they are fantastic. I have a spray of 2012 on my left wrist and at 12+ hours it's still detectable...amazing for a fresh scent!

Both are great, but I think the reform is much more balanced.

I like the new one. It smells the way DHS should smell, the old one did not.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 13th March 2013 at 07:06 AM.

Smell the same.

The old one was decent, but the new one is an exceptional scent for what it is.

I just bought a 3.4 and 1.7 of the old which I love and was going to sniff out the new one. from the looks of it I might be going new school.

Which one is more masculine? I tried 2012 last summer and I found it to be too soft and feminine for my taste. I tried 2008 many years ago and I remember that I liked that one but it was long time ago so my taste could change... Just checking if its worth to get original while its not that hard to find because I am definitely not buying reformulated.
    TOP 4 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 4 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme

I would say the original is more Masculine and I'm also not one to consider Iris a feminine note so I have nothing against the 2012 version which I like also. I think the original is brilliant buy it. Chandler Burr reviewed it.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/109110...y_11704664.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by alexwagner View Post
    I would say the original is more Masculine and I'm also not one to consider Iris a feminine note so I have nothing against the 2012 version which I like also. I think the original is brilliant buy it. Chandler Burr reviewed it.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/109110...y_11704664.jsp
    Thank you Alex. I have nothing against iris and I love both DH and DHI but I just dont like DHS 2012. IMO its missing some woody balls and is very light.
    TOP 4 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 4 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme

I'm going to go with the original version. I can't get enough of it! It's the natural smell of the fresh citrus and fresh ginger that does it for me. As a degreed culinarian, these are two of the best natural smells in the world, and the 2008 version combines them perfectly. There is still one box left at my Sephora. Now, I just need cash. I will say, I haven't smelled the new version, but the vintage (2005) formulation of Dior Homme is my signature scent and see no reason to own another which is even remotely similar, as I hear the new one IS with its additional iris and powdery notes. Also, the original is a huge complement getter, which is something which no one seems to claim about the new one, no matter how much they profess to love it.

I have a DHS bought in 2012 January. It has the cap with the black hood, but the sprayer has a black and red spritzer.
    so if you take the cap from the one to the right pictured above and the bottle from the one to the left, you have my DHS.

What version do I have ?
    It was purchased at a Dior boutique and was sealed.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

In the 2012 version, along with the very beautiful but very short-lived (5 minutes) iris note, they also add this accord that smell very similar to majority of Hugo Boss fragrances. IMO, Dior has ruined their Dior Homme Sport with the 2012 reformulation

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I have not smelled the 2012 version but I really like the vintage version
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles
    Mona di Orio Oud

I'm going to have to try this. I'm not a fan of Dior Homme or the Intense. Never have liked any formulation...the iris kills me. But if it is lighter in this I will give it a go. I need another spring/summer scent to go with my constant use of TdH.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan