Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thumbs up Re: Knize 10 an alternative to Cuir de Russie... really?

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I love Cuir De Russie but to me is more of an iris-centered fragrance with leathery undertones, than a proper leather composition. Knize 10 is surely a butch leather but, at the same time, it has a dandified feel to it. Very elegant, one of a kind. If you're planning to buy it, make sure to get the original and not the Golden Edition which is a polished and civilized version of the former...still pretty darn good though...
    + 1
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes
    Currently wearing: Jicky by Guerlain

Cuir de Russie is to Knize Ten as a flower is to a brick.

Default Re: Knize 10 an alternative to Cuir de Russie... really?

Would it be fair to include Leather Oud by Dior in this thread, I'm just curious about your thoughts and how does it compare to the original scents of this thread Knize Ten's and Chanel's.
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan D' Great View Post
    Would it be fair to include Leather Oud by Dior in this thread, I'm just curious about your thoughts and how does it compare to the original scents of this thread Knize Ten's and Chanel's.
    Completely a different planet....basically because Leather Oud completely lacks the florals...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

The original Knize shop in Vienna

* Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

mihailo

^
    the fragrance smells exaclty the way the store looks

^^ Symmetrical?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilaire View Post
    I'm not going to comment on the Creed given that I've never smelt it, but I would say that while as a technical achievement recreating the actual smell of leather is impressive I've never thought of it as something I would actually like to smell of. I would also say that the sharper the composition, be that from Citrus oils, or sharper woody or Vetiver notes the less pleasant or wearable I find them, and from what I can tell from research Creed's CdR is exactly that, sharp and strong on the citrus. I'll reserve judgement until I get a whiff of it someday.

One of the leathers I tested today was Farmaceutica di Santa Maria Novella's Peau Despagne, now that is an exercise in extreme true-to-life leather. It's not sweet or floral in any way, it smells like the leather of old book bindings or antique leather used as table tops or on writing slopes. There's even a hint of the dusty decay of leather. It's a wonderful scent and one I'm certain many people will love, but it's not something I could ever imagine wanting to wear.

The point being that in my view a leather's greatness isn't judged by how expertly it recreates the actual smell of real leather (which is only a vaguely pleasant smell at best) but in how it takes the concept of a leather accord and combines it into a composition which is actually attractive. In that respect Chanel's Cuir de Russie is my reference because it has a deep suede-like hum in the background but uses that to build something that smells so much better than a warehouse full of leather sofas or jackets.
    Have you tried this yet?