Code of Conduct

Default Cartier Declaration d`Un Soir. What can we expect?

Declaration d`Un Soir. http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/C...oir-15462.html
    Hmm.. The notes sounds intresting. I adore the regular and essence version, so I`m very excited about this one. It will be intresting to see how Mathilde Laurent has added rose and sandalwood into Declaration. Bottle looks amazing!

Default Re: Cartier Declaration d`Un Soir. What can we expect?

Sounds interesting. Will be keeping my eyes out for this.

I am a pretty big fan of the original and all the flankers, minus Essence, so I'll keep a look out for this one. Thanks for the heads-up!

It has my attention...the bottle is nice indeed, and I have a pretty good relationship with Cartier! It could easily end up being a weak riff on Kenzo Power. I'm sure it will share some DNA, so let's hope for an improvement.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 25th June 2012 at 09:50 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I'm probably way off here, but I'm imagining something along the lines of L'Ombre Dans L'Eau but sweeter.

Extremely beautiful, intoxicating (in a good way) fragrance, not really sweet, but rather dry. It just smells great, and if anything, you should try sniffing it, or even better, wear it for a day/evening. Excellent interpretation of the original concept (although certainly quite different, and its own fragrance rather than a mere flanker.)

Beyond satisfied with my full bottle purchase-this fragrance more than surpassed my expectations, really, and I am even preferring it over the original work, which is pretty great as well.
    Last edited by starace; 19th August 2012 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by starace View Post
    Extremely beautiful, intoxicating (in a good way) fragrance, not really sweet, but rather dry. It just smells great, and if anything, you should try sniffing it, or even better, wear it for a day/evening. Excellent interpretation of the original concept (although certainly quite different, and its own fragrance rather than a mere flanker.)

Beyond satisfied with my full bottle purchase-this fragrance more than surpassed my expectations, really, and I am even preferring it over the original work, which is pretty great as well.
    Thanks for posting; I am really looking forward to this one. I wonder if Laurent was inspired to add rose to an Ellena scent by the example set by Voyage d'Hermes Parfum? I hope it is as successful as that one.

Anybody managed to try this after?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Anybody managed to try this after?
    Recommended to me. I tried it a few times. Initially pleasant and bright. But there's a synthetic quality that wears real thin with me after a while. I could never wear this. But I think a lot of people might like it.

Based on a few fleeting moments with it, I'd say that it's not frankly stanky like Declaration. Hard for me to see the olefactory connection to Declaration, in fact. Doesn't exude virility, but I don't care. Lighter than Declaration and has become well-known, already, for its rose note. Tempted to say that it's excellent but I haven't really focused that long on it. I have a new pair of kid gloves that became infused with it after one test-wearing, and people told me how great my gloves smelled. This went on for days. I agree that it may be a wee bit synthetic. I'm probably going to end up liking it. There's a shower gel product at a $40 price point and I'm going to use that as a timid, cautious way to start wearing it.
    Last edited by Wheatstraw2; 1st March 2013 at 04:35 AM.

Sound Scents

I am not a big fan of the original, but I have a sample of Declaration d'Un Soir and find its addition of pepper-laced rose to the toned down spice of the original quite nice. I doubt I will ever purchase a bottle, but it is a quality release that deserves more love, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I snagged a sample at Nordstrom a couple months back, and I've worn d'Un Soir on occasion when the weather was neither too cold nor too warm. It's a very appropriate fragrance for spring weather.
    When I received the sample, I had also picked up samples of Declaration Cologne and Spicebomb. Originally, I was in love with the ginger note in DC, but it really just smells like Lemon Pledge on me after about 20 minutes, so I began to experiment with its brother, d'Un Soir. At first, the pepper hits you right in the face, but moments after the rose note begins to sink in and blends beautifully with the pepper. It has become one of my favorite note combinations (and as a side thought, I'd be very interested in seeing how pepper and rose work with a vetiver base as opposed to the sandalwood of this particular Cartier), but it is extremely strong.
    The sillage in d'Un Soir is unmatched among the rest of my small collection, but even in a larger collection I would be hard pressed to find a fragrance that carries so well. The longevity of this fragrance is unreal. The last time I wore it around the town was Wednesday the 20th, one spray from the sample vial on my chest. I washed the shirt over the weekend and happened to wear it again while lounging around the house yesterday, and lo and behold, there was d'Un Soir, not just peeking through, but still going strong as if I had just sprayed it on that morning. I cannot stress enough how good the longevity of the fragrance is. I highly, highly recommend this if you're looking for something floral, yet spicy enough to give it a manly edge (though this very well could be a unisex fragrance for those who would like to try).

Another blind buy on its way. I need to find a way to sample before I keep splashing out for full bottles.

Basenotes Institution

I loved this when I first smelled it. Instant love. I have a decant of it I have to find, I misplaced it. Once I do I will post my thoughts.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I want to wear this a couple of more times, but so far so good. I was sorta mixed before, but I think I appreciate it now. I think it may be better in warmish weather. What really surprises me is how floral it is and I really like that. On me, I don't really find it that powerful, as I need to spray a bit extra. Hopefully I am not killing anyone around me with the sillage
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

OK, I had one spray of this on my wrist. Put it on around 2 hours or so ago and is doing reasonably well. Silage seems to be reasonable, I have checked with others.

It isn't a beast of a fragrance but goes without saying it beats many others in performance, no doubt.

The smell = I like. Nice spicy rose, isn't the most complex scents around and I don't give a toss whether it's complex or not, as long as it smells good, which this one does.

It's a nice smell and is not a Declaration flanker hence the name is misleading.

I will update this post with complete performance results once I give it a full wearing.

This appears to be a more of a summer scent but won't be suitable on a very hot and humid because of spicy background, but I guess a full wearing on a hot day will decide.

^ glad you like it After a bit of a slump, you are back on the winning side ( Narciso, RG ph, Hommage....etc). Not much has been talked about this one, but I do agree that it really doesn't resemble the original Declaration at all. I feel they should have gave it a different name, maybe just "D'un Soir", but I suppose that would have meant more elaborate marketing and a different bottle ( although it is a bit different than the Declaration bottle).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts bgoc.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Its a well crafted fragrance, but too much rose for my liking (unfortunately). I cannot wear it, but i am sure many others will enjoy it.

I enjoy it and I definitely smell the 'backbone' as being very similar to Declaration.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    ^ glad you like it After a bit of a slump, you are back on the winning side ( Narciso, RG ph, Hommage....etc). Not much has been talked about this one, but I do agree that it really doesn't resemble the original Declaration at all. I feel they should have gave it a different name, maybe just "D'un Soir", but I suppose that would have meant more elaborate marketing and a different bottle ( although it is a bit different than the Declaration bottle).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts bgoc.
    I am impressed to see somebody knows my recent blind buy failures. Hommage was a nice smell shame was short lived than D&G The One.

When I received RGph, first thing I typed in BN search was http://www.basenotes.net/bn_search.p...1390&sa.y=-205
    and clearly I wasn't the only one who experienced the same, smell was just about what I could've tolerated.

I think D'un Soir makes up for recent failed blind buys.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoomBoom View Post
    I enjoy it and I definitely smell the 'backbone' as being very similar to Declaration.
    Absolutely it has plenty of Declaration DNA to my nose. I also get some DNA from Declaration Cologne... It is the real deal for sure, but I prefer it to the original.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I am impressed to see somebody knows my recent blind buy failures. Hommage was a nice smell shame was short lived than D&G The One.

When I received RGph, first thing I typed in BN search was http://www.basenotes.net/bn_search.p...1390&sa.y=-205
    and clearly I wasn't the only one who experienced the same, smell was just about what I could've tolerated.

I think D'un Soir makes up for recent failed blind buys.
    LOL, I hope I wasn't being creepy because I am stalking every one of your purchases bgoc. Hey, your hype and love of Jaipur Homme EDP shows you have great taste !

With Hommage, I have to spray extra and it sticks around. I noticed the nozzle sprays less than most of my atomizers. I doubt I will keep it around, just because there are so many other fragrances I really want to wear. I have a love of Roadster and Hermes Concentree d'Orange Verte and I never get to wear them. Hommage is nice, but not amazing. With D'Un Soir, I really am wowed by the opening.

I understand why someone would not like RGph. I really like it, but its a somewhat polarizing scent because of the associations and vibe of the fragrance.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    LOL, I hope I wasn't being creepy because I am stalking every one of your purchases bgoc. Hey, your hype and love of Jaipur Homme EDP shows you have great taste !

With Hommage, I have to spray extra and it sticks around. I noticed the nozzle sprays less than most of my atomizers. I doubt I will keep it around, just because there are so many other fragrances I really want to wear. I have a love of Roadster and Hermes Concentree d'Orange Verte and I never get to wear them. Hommage is nice, but not amazing. With D'Un Soir, I really am wowed by the opening.

I understand why someone would not like RGph. I really like it, but its a somewhat polarizing scent because of the associations and vibe of the fragrance.
    Jaipur was one of the very first "big ticket" (well it was big ticket back then) purchase I made and I have always loved it. It's just so business class and that metal refillable bottle, just a pure piece of jewelry. And not every person has access to this beauty in the UK.

What else do you recommend, given British summer, I don't need to have a great deal of summer scents.

Jaipur was one of the very first "big ticket" (well it was big ticket back then) purchase I made and I have always loved it. It's just so business class and that metal refillable bottle, just a pure piece of jewelry. And not every person has access to this beauty in the UK.

What else do you recommend, given British summer, I don't need to have a great deal of summer scents.
    Two of my favorites are Serge Lutens Gris Clair and Kenzo Power Cologne. If it gets too humid, I would stay away from Gris Clair, but if it is just a regular warm summer day, it works great ! Kenzo Power Cologne is very juicy and refreshing. It maintains the regular Power DNA, but I like it because it is not sticky sweet and more interesting. KPC has a very distinctive bergamont note in the opening and has a nice light iris accord in the drydown.

I also really like Givenchy Vetyver. I'm not sure how you feel about vetivers in general, but this one is nice and fresh, yet still very classic. Longevity isn't the best, so I have to overspray a bit.

I also like Lyric Man from Amouage, but that is pretty pricey. One I also want to try out this summer is C&S No 88, but its a pretty woodsy fragrance with the sandalwood and I am not sure how well that will do in the warm temperatures. I like it alot, but its sorta melancholic in a way, so I don't wear it in the dark winters here.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Basenotes Institution

I wore a rose scent this morning (Fille de Berlin) so I decided to continue and wear something else with rose in it for the afternoon so I grabbed my decant of this.

This stuff is great! I'm reminded of the original Declaration, of course, but also I'm reminded of Jean Claude Ellena's other rose scents he did for Hermes (Hermessence Rose Ikebana, Kelly Caleche and Eau de Pamplemousse Rose. They all share that same transparent, light yet radiant/woody rose note, in different ways.

A little dab will do ya, too. This stuff just pops off your skin.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac