Code of Conduct

Question Parfumerie Generale

i have counted 38 scents of this house currently offered by online retailers. i have tried 5-6 and all of them strike me with a fine quality.
    which ones do you think are best and why, and are there any not that well crafted? i wonder is it possible for one perfumer to sustain top quality AND PROVIDE VARIETY for nearly 40 scents, which i believe have been created for the last few years only... or am i wrong?

Default Re: Parfumerie Generale

Be sure to check out Querelle. This is not my favorite house, but this one is very good.

L'ombre Fauve
    Un Crime Exotique
    Bois Blond
    Indochine
    Aomassai

I heard great things about:
    Intrigant Patchouli
    L'oiseau de Nuit
    Praline de Santal

Aomassai
    Querelle

and many more

L'ombre Fauve
    Bois Blond
    Indochine
    Intrigant Patchouli
    Felanilla

for swap/sale:

Man am I intrigued by this house. I have to get my hands on some samples. Many, many of them are calling out to me. Any suggestions are welcome...but among the one's that you recommend most, can you list some with zero powder...and when I say zero, I mean, none, zip, zilch. I don't have any tolerance for powder, and on fragrantica, quite a few are listed as being powdery. I would really appreciate your input. Thanks...and I hope that I'm not asking to change the direction of the thread because that is not my intention.

I really like Cadjmere, it is truly a terrific creamy sandalwood that is up there with Tam Dao, in my opinion.
    Cadjmere is a little more feminine than Diptyque's effort, but I'd still say it's more of a masculine scent than a feminine.

The coconut and citrus notes give it enough difference to Tam Dao to justify owning both, but you'd have to be a serious lover of creamy sandalwood to do so.

Alas, it fails the 'no-powder' rule for you, Kybid.

PG is quite a solid line, expecially for those interested in gourmandish stuff. A few of my favorites...

Coz (edible and inedible juxtapositions on a solid woody-patch base)
    Intrigant Patchouli (civet patch. Old fashioned)
    Cuir D'Iris (animalic Leather-iris combo with ambery-powdery undertones)
    Aomassai (daaaaark gourmand)
    Felanilla (woody vanilla and banana...one of a kind)
    Corps Et Ames Eau...(elegant green chypre)
    Cuir Venenuum (grape leather)
    Papyrus De Ciane (A galbanum-incense bomb)
    Jardins De Kerylos (sophisticated floral-fig)
    Yuzu Ab Irato (minty-floral tea)
    Eau Guerriere (dry woody incense with a cannabis undertone)
    Querelle (easy to wear spicy woody vetiver with incense)
    L'Ombre Fauve (furry amber)

That said, they also have some disappointing stuff, above all Musc Mahori which is a puerile and overly sweet frappuccino inspired composition...Or Bois Naufrage which is a woody fig in the same vein as the original Marc Jacobs For Men

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Praline de Santal, many compare to Jeux de Peau and yes they have the same vibe. Not dupes of each other but certainly there is a similar heady thick honey/pastry like vibe.

Cuir d'Iris is fabulous, sort of old leather books and rooty iris.
    DONNA

http://surrendertochance.com/parfume...rale-haramens/

The last place to get this very rare and phenomenal PG.

A special "by invitation only Private Creation fragrance. Haramens is an Oriental incense fragrance with notes of cardamom, vanilla, sesame milk, white jasmine, Moroccan cedar, oud wood, incense, animal leather and musk. Described as a night in the harem where Oriental pastries and incense fill the sanctuary while the women wait for the Sultan.

It's expensive but any lover of PG must splurge for this juice. I can't imagine why they no longer produce this one but it is really fantastic, a huge, grey, doughy/bready musk. To me it is a very sexual/sensual kind of fragrance, quite potent and long lasting too.

I'm yet to try almost 2/3 of the PG line, but the stand-outs so far for me have been:

L'Ombre Fauve
    Cedre Sandaraque
    Aomassai 10
    Felanilla 21
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Cedre Sandaraque is my crystal clear favorit.

I like Louanges Profanes and Ilang Ivohibe.

Most of this line is a mystery to me, but I picked up Haramatan Noir on a whim and was pretty happy with it. It's a weird combination of salt, mint, and tea. It's actually really refreshing and it cuts through the air, and it continues to grow on me.

I also had a chance to try out Jardins de Kerylos, but it didn't do anything for me. It was a bitter fig, with a woody base that didn't agree with me. I'll stick with Philosykos and Heeley's Figuier.

I've only tried 3 scents from PG which are Coz, Drama Nuui & Tubereuse Couture. All of them are very well crafted. I personally own Tubereuse Couture which is not masculine at all by the normal standard but the use of sugarcane in it is very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Cedre Sandaraque is my crystal clear favorit.
    Agree!
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

few months ago i hesitated between bois blond and cedre sandaraque. i ended up buying a bottle of bois blond.
    now i am 'wearing' 4 scents on my forearms- sedre sand., querelle, gris clair, fille en aguilles. not sure how to rank them 2 to 4, but the stand out is SC for sure

Cedar Sandaraque is fantastic. If you like that one I'd also suggest Aomassai. Good choice on buying Bois Blond too.. it's PG's Chergui. I get nothing but compliments when I wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    PG is quite a solid line, expecially for those interested in gourmandish stuff. A few of my favorites...

Coz (edible and inedible juxtapositions on a solid woody-patch base)
    Intrigant Patchouli (civet patch. Old fashioned)
    Cuir D'Iris (animalic Leather-iris combo with ambery-powdery undertones)

Aomassai (daaaaark gourmand)
    Felanilla (woody vanilla and banana...one of a kind)
    Corps Et Ames Eau...(elegant green chypre)
    Cuir Venenuum (grape leather)
    Papyrus De Ciane (A galbanum-incense bomb)
    Jardins De Kerylos (sophisticated floral-fig)
    Yuzu Ab Irato (minty-floral tea)
    Eau Guerriere (dry woody incense with a cannabis undertone)
    Querelle (easy to wear spicy woody vetiver with incense)
    L'Ombre Fauve (furry amber)

That said, they also have some disappointing stuff, above all Musc Mahori which is a puerile and overly sweet frappuccino inspired composition...Or Bois Naufrage which is a woody fig in the same vein as the original Marc Jacobs For Men

I like you descriptions and agree in general., but I just love Musc Maori on the ladies, definitely not for a man. I don't think it's puerile at all, just sweet. My wife is 61 years old and gets many positive comments from co-workers.

Seems like Luckyscent customers love it too:
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...usc_Maori.html
    Last edited by thebeck; 29th August 2012 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I like you descriptions and agree in general., but I just love Musc Maori on the ladies, definitely not for a man. I don't think it's puerile at all, just sweet. My wife is 61 years old and gets many positive comments from co-workers.
    cool...

My experience was different. Last time I wore it, I felt like I was smelling like a ambulating frappuccino. I'm definitely not a fan of heavy gourmands. Nor for men, neither for women...
    Last edited by alfarom; 29th August 2012 at 05:18 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Drama Nuui
    Tubereuse Couture
    Papyrus de Ciane

These three scents from PG that I own are all exceptions to the house's signature vibe, which is on the gourmand/warm/ambery side. Tubereuse Couture is a scent that gets noticed every time I wear it -the sugar cane note in it is very unusual and takes this green floral completely out of the territory of any other tuberose frag (not anywhere near Fracas, etc.). Drama Nuui is jasmine, but with this shadowy, feral side to it - must be the green jasmine shoots (like a jasmine petitgrain, almost). Papyrus de Ciane is a green, sharp fragrance that does well, oddly, in bitter cold weather - this one is probably the most unisex of my little collection.

Reading all the descriptions from respondents to this thread has me licking my chops to explore more PG scents.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    My experience was different. Last time I wore it, I felt like I was smelling like a ambulating frappuccino
    LOL! I'm not a fan of Musc Maori of either - to me it smelled like really sweet melted chocolate! I got a sample of cuir d'iris and I haven't even tried it on - I could sniff it from outside the sample vial and one of the notes is coming across as particularly loud to me, not sure what it is, but I don't like it!

Cadjmere & Jardins De Kerylos are my favourites so far, but I need to sample more of the range.

Intrigant Patchouli is one of the strongest in the line - fantastic classical composition
    I also adore Musc Maori which to me is a creamy milk chocolate, with a slightly "off" milk note, translucent vanilla and a clean/dirty musk underneath. It's both edible, delicious, and almost repulsive
    Aomassai has an outstanding gourmand opening, a disappointing drydown for me though
    Iilang Ivohibe I need to explore more, but loved it on first sniff - narcotic ylang ylang paired with men's shaving cream
    Papyrus De Ciane has a fantastic green opening and an unexpected powdery, classic drydown
    Cuir Venenum is a smoky, ashtray leather with orange blossom and grape soda, intense, unusual, and trashy fun

Brilliant house. No, not all are great but, most of them are!

On balance, a very good line. I've sampled roughly half. It's almost inevitable such a large line has some redundancy and weak spots, and his does ( overuse of a certain patchouli accord is frequently evident in the drydowns ), but when it shines; it shines.

To my nose, my PG "top five":

BOIS BLOND - warm, summery dried grass; nothing else like it.
    TUBEREUSE COUTURE - light, languid tuberose-ylang with a sugarcane note.
    CORPS ET AMES - bitter, nocturnal chypre in and intriguing modernist vein.
    L'OMBRE FAUVE - perfectly blended amber-patchouli fragrance.
    CEDRE SANDARAQUE - clever Atlas cedar and cotton candy creation.

( Actually, my second favorite of his was a delicious pineapple fragrance he made, but, since it appears to only have been made in one bottle - ! - and impossible to find, I won't list it )

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    ( Actually, my second favorite of his was a delicious pineapple fragrance he made, but, since it appears to only have been made in one bottle - ! - and impossible to find, I won't list it )
    I had a sample of this rare one a while back, but wasn't too keen on it.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted