Code of Conduct

Question I Have a Few Questions about Eau Sauvage Parfum.

Hey guys, I've been quite intrigued by the release of the new Eau Sauvage Parfum by Dior. I love the original Eau Sauvage, though I'm quite prepared to expect this Parfum to smell almost nothing like it. That's fine. Also, the bottle looks amazing.

I was at a mall last week, and I happened to run past a Sephora a few minutes after they'd closed the doors, but I convinced them to let me pop inside for a minute to see if they carried the new Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum... they didn't even know what it was, but there it was on their shelf! Unfortunately, there was no tester and since the store was closed I didn't feel like trying to haggle with them on opening one for a tester. I thanked them for letting me see if they carried it, and I told them I'd come back at another time.

So my question is this: Does ES Parfum remind you of something like Guerlain Vetiver/Vetiver Extreme or possibly Guerlain Homme Intense EDP?

From what I get from the descriptions of the vetiver notes and sweetish myrrh in the base of Eau Sauvage Parfum-- and also the minimalist set of notes, it sounds a lot like Guerlain Vetiver Extreme or Guerlain Homme Intense, especially.

I like both of these scents, but I rarely wear them as it is-- and I just wonder if Eau Sauvage Parfum is somewhat redundant to either of these scents.

I'm curious if anyone is familiar with Vetiver Extreme, Guerlain Homme Intense AND Eau Sauvage Parfum, is there a comparison and how similar are they?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: I Have a Few Questions about Eau Sauvage Parfum.

This smells good. I smelled the sprayer at the Sephora in Times Square two weeks ago. I almost pulled the trigger, but it's a little "stuffy" for me. That said, I did not do a skin test, so who knows?

Dependent

Nothing like Guerlain Vetiver -- ESP has very forward jasmine and prominent vanilla. Can't recall the other two.

It's really a very simple composition. Jasmine (sambac), (grassy probably Indonesian) vetiver, vanilla, a touch of citrus and maybe rosemary up top and a touch of musk and myrrh in the base. That's really all there is going on.

Got mine just a few days ago. Not like Guerlain Vetiver nor the other two Eau Sauvages I have - The EDC and EDT. All very nice in their own way.

It is nothing like those Guerlains. It reminds me a little of Santos Concentree at the open and Fat Electrician in the drydown. It'll be great in the cooler seasons.

Hey hey Indie,

I hope this note finds you well my friend. Indie, I recently tried (my first time ever-any) Dior Eau Sauvage (in this case) Perfume at my local Sephora. As you may recall Indie, I have pretty high standards for quality/unique Colognes/Perfumes being mostly a "Niche" fragrance fan. That being said, I have not experienced a fragrance "WOW" moment for a long long time, that is, until I sampled Dior Eau Sauvage. WOW! I LOVE it! Dior Eau Sauvage Perfume is at the top of my "to buy" list. I find Eau Sauvage Perfume to be a very "High Class/Upscale" and stunningly beautiful in a sort of "old school" style.
    I think Eau Sauvage Perfume would be an excellent fragrance for a Gentleman my age (soon to be fifty seven).
    Please do let us know your thoughts Indie when you sample Eau Sauvage Perfume.

Regards,
    SixCats!
    AKA
    Tom

ESP is nothing like the other scents you mentioned. ESP is much more oriental / fougere in feel than those scents. It's a fairly simple, conservative, yet classy composition. I really like it.

Hi Indie, tried it at Duty Free, grabbed a bottle and wore it the day I got back. It's not like the ones you mention.

My initial impression is a predominantly balsamic mood (as opposed to green or woods), quite robust and 'manly', the myrrh has warmth but it also has a certain melancholy darkness to it - which later settles into a very friendly soft vanilla style extended drydown. Pretty effortless wear but best not to overdo it, the physical density is palpable.

Just first impressions . . . caught a glimpse of Eau Sauvage briefly but it's really the other end of the scale in many respects.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    It is nothing like those Guerlains. It reminds me a little of Santos Concentree at the open and Fat Electrician in the drydown. It'll be great in the cooler seasons.
    Very good call! Santos is the only other citrus-jasmine-vetiver accord like this I have encountered. ESP is more natural and has less details (like leather etc.) and I prefer that.

Thanks guys for taking the time to answer my questions. I'll try to test it in the next week or two and see what I think-- and when I do, I'll post my thoughts.

I'm looking forward to your review.

I really like Intense/EDP flankers. I was quite disappointed with Guerlain Homme Intense though.
    The drydown didn't satisfy me.

I tried Guerlain Vetiver from a mini and didn't like it at all.

For me, Eau Sauvage Parfum is superior compared to these two.
    The trick is to test it with an open mind and forget about the original.
    This is a brand new fragrance with a small reference to the original Eau Sauvage.

Well guys, I just came from Sephora and...

I really was impressed with this and I bought a bottle.

It's amazing that the first few seconds DOES smell like the original Eau Sauvage EdT, but it quickly passes through that stage and dries down completely differently.

This shares the same kind of dense vanilla absolute base as L'Eau d'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme EDP and Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense. This is a contrast to the sharp base of some of the other Parfums such as Guerlain Homme EDP and Terre D'Hermes Parfum. Definitely, more like the L'Instant PH EDP with its sweet, smooth density that almost borders on root-beer.

Having the myrrh, bergamot and vanilla it does share quite a few of Prada Amber PH Intense's key accords, but this one is quite different too-- going continually toward a huge vetiver finale.

Very minimalist with regard to number of notes, but each note is quite present and high quality. The vetiver accord has many facets-- and I love the way the vetiver grows over time. I get a bit of a bubblegum note in the middle stages. It really hits a nice spot as a sweet vetiver that doesn't skew especially woody nor toward woody-amber fixatives. It does smell extremely natural. And it's far less green than something like Guerlain's Vetiver Extreme.

Eau Sauvage Parfum isn't exactly novel; it doesn't blow me away with fantasy notes I've never smelled before, but it's got a certain kind of old-world charm and masculinity about it (which is funny, because when I walked up to the tester, some guy and his girlfriend were sniffing it and I asked their opinion-- they thought it smelled like "grandma perfume"-- of course they never got to experience the drydown). And now that I've worn it a while, I do repeatedly catch more and more whiffs of the original Eau Sauvage coming back from time to time-- so it's not just a gimmick.

I do think this Parfum will reveal more and more the longer I spend with it-- dense compositions often do. Probably it will wear much differently in cooler weather than it does in 100+ degree heat like I had here today.

I want to thank everyone who reviewed this one and shared their thoughts on it. I like this a lot and I know that I'll be wearing it quite often-- especially as the weather cools a bit. Really good juice!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Well guys, I just came from Sephora and...

I really was impressed with this and I bought a bottle.

It's amazing that the first few seconds DOES smell like the original Eau Sauvage EdT, but it quickly passes through that stage and dries down completely differently.

This shares the same kind of dense vanilla absolute base as L'Eau d'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme EDP and Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense. This is a contrast to the sharp base of some of the other Parfums such as Guerlain Homme EDP and Terre D'Hermes Parfum. Definitely, more like the L'Instant PH EDP with its sweet, smooth density that almost borders on root-beer.

Having the myrrh, bergamot and vanilla it does share quite a few of Prada Amber PH Intense's key accords, but this one is quite different too-- going continually toward a huge vetiver finale.

Very minimalist with regard to number of notes, but each note is quite present and high quality. The vetiver accord has many facets-- and I love the way the vetiver grows over time. I get a bit of a bubblegum note in the middle stages. It really hits a nice spot as a sweet vetiver that doesn't skew especially woody nor toward woody-amber fixatives. It does smell extremely natural. And it's far less green than something like Guerlain's Vetiver Extreme.

Eau Sauvage Parfum isn't exactly novel; it doesn't blow me away with fantasy notes I've never smelled before, but it's got a certain kind of old-world charm and masculinity about it (which is funny, because when I walked up to the tester, some guy and his girlfriend were sniffing it and I asked their opinion-- they thought it smelled like "grandma perfume"-- of course they never got to experience the drydown). And now that I've worn it a while, I do repeatedly catch more and more whiffs of the original Eau Sauvage coming back from time to time-- so it's not just a gimmick.

I do think this Parfum will reveal more and more the longer I spend with it-- dense compositions often do. Probably it will wear much differently in cooler weather than it does in 100+ degree heat like I had here today.

I want to thank everyone who reviewed this one and shared their thoughts on it. I like this a lot and I know that I'll be wearing it quite often-- especially as the weather cools a bit. Really good juice!
    I totally agree with your assessment. When I first applied it, I was really wondering how anyone could ever say it doesn't smell like Eau Sauvage - it really does at first. Then the drydown hit me and I realized it was definitely a very different fragrance.

The way I see it, Eau Sauvage Parfum is very much like an epilogue to Eau Sauvage - that is, it actually opens with the original Eau Sauvage's drydown and then progresses into a completely new territory rather naturally.

I wish I could say I absolutely love it, but the sad truth is that its drydown is just too sweet for me. I love the rest of the fragrance so dearly, but I just hate the drydown. Sadly, this fragrance isn't for me. :'(
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Hi Indie, tried it at Duty Free, grabbed a bottle and wore it the day I got back. It's not like the ones you mention.

My initial impression is a predominantly balsamic mood (as opposed to green or woods), quite robust and 'manly', the myrrh has warmth but it also has a certain melancholy darkness to it - which later settles into a very friendly soft vanilla style extended drydown. Pretty effortless wear but best not to overdo it, the physical density is palpable.

Just first impressions . . . caught a glimpse of Eau Sauvage briefly but it's really the other end of the scale in many respects.
    I bought this on first sniff - just bowled me over.

Please excuse me for a moment.....

***** CONEHEAD ALERT *****

Now - where were we?

Yes - you are absolutely right about the balsamic mood. That is what really grabbed me. And it's not cheap, flimsy, too obvious, or any of the other sins that might have been.

Also true about not overdoing it. I had people in a cafeteria looking for the "perfume lady" when I was using but two tiny half-sprays. This thing sillages quite easily.

Thankfully, I love the drydown, too. I can definitely see how the shift between the opening and the finish could leave some folks out of the deal.

Really unexpected find. I had almost given up on finding something like this. People who love Pino Silvestre, Fou d'Absinthe, and other coniferous and balsamic wonders will likely be ecstatic about this one!

Love this stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Love this stuff.
    Isn't it odd how this amazing stuff just shows up in Sephora like it dropped in from Mars? I was in there to check out the Lady Gaga scent (interesting, in a "best possible mainstream perfumery for the money" way), and then I sniffed a few sport colognes that I'd missed over the summer. I see this one, and go - "Hmmm - kinda hated the way Eau Sauvage never really gave me the 'oomph' I was looking for. Wonder what this is like...."

I take one whiff of this stuff, and it's like "Oh, crap - there goes $84 plus tax."

As long as Sephora keeps stocking at least one new frag like this at all times, they have me on a short leash!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Isn't it odd how this amazing stuff just shows up in Sephora like it dropped in from Mars? I was in there to check out the Lady Gaga scent (interesting, in a "best possible mainstream perfumery for the money" way), and then I sniffed a few sport colognes that I'd missed over the summer. I see this one, and go - "Hmmm - kinda hated the way Eau Sauvage never really gave me the 'oomph' I was looking for. Wonder what this is like...."

I take one whiff of this stuff, and it's like "Oh, crap - there goes $84 plus tax."

As long as Sephora keeps stocking at least one new frag like this at all times, they have me on a short leash!
    I just MAY be getting this for my birthday tomorrow. My wife and 16 year old son had a short list from me to take in and test in Sephora on Saturday. They bought one...hope this is it!

I actually preferred & ended up purchasing ES Intense when I sought out the parfum a couple of weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    I actually preferred & ended up purchasing ES Intense when I sought out the parfum a couple of weeks ago.
    Davem81 -

ES Intense is one of my favourites. I'm looking out for the new ES Extrait.......have you seen any yet in this part of the world??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I just MAY be getting this for my birthday tomorrow. My wife and 16 year old son had a short list from me to take in and test in Sephora on Saturday. They bought one...hope this is it!
    Excited for you! Fingers crossed for a great 'fume, whatever it may be!

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    I still have to try this one. Hopefully after the credit card cools off from the parfum!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Got mine just a few days ago. Not like Guerlain Vetiver nor the other two Eau Sauvages I have - The EDC and EDT. All very nice in their own way.
    I agree.....Not like Guerlain's Vetiver or the other two Sauvage scents.....This is one that I really Love.....Smells great on my skin and has great longevity!!!
    Gary

I like it better than the original Eau Sauvage. It's more complex. Myrrh and amber are very marking. I thought there was rose in it.