Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tom Ford Oud Wood

34 75.56%
  • Bond No. 9 New York Oud

11 24.44%

Default Tom Ford Oud Wood vs Bond No. 9 New York Oud

Which one do you like more? Did a side-by-side comparison on paper just now, tough call.

Default Re: Tom Ford Oud Wood vs Bond No. 9 New York Oud

NY Oud all the way. Its the best Bond No 9 along with Andy Warhol.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    NY Oud all the way. Its the best Bond No 9 along with Andy Warhol.
    I concur! But would add Harrod's Oud to your Bond list. New York Oud is much better than Tom Ford's Oud Wood in so many ways.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Sur la Plage

Tom Ford Oud Wood >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bond New York Oud
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Bond New York Oud

Really did not like Oud Wood, but found Bond's NY Oud to be in the same vein as Montale's Black Aoud but a bit more interesting.

The two really are not comparable. Oud Wood is far from an "oud" fragrance, and focuses more on the wood. NY Oud, similarly, is more of a rose-based fragrance than it is an oud, but does have more "oud" characteristics. Saying one is better than the other doesn't really accomplish anything since I would classify them in two different genres. Owning both is not at all redundant.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

I actually do find the two similar, but not similar enough to not have both in my wardrobe. OW is more woodsy and NY Oud is more sweet. Both great fragrances IMO.

NY Oud is more superior....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Basenotes Plus

Comes down more to a question of style maybe than overall quality. Tom Ford Oud Wood comes off like a pretty Cambodian and gains and maintains impressive depth as time goes by. Bond New York always struck me as oud in the bandaidy Montale style and a bit of a rip off but I don't dislike the way it smells nearly as much as I used to since I haven't had to smell it in a while. Like a really good take on Montale. But I vote for Tom Ford because I prefer prettier style ouds.

- - - Updated - - -

Tom Ford Oud Wood.

I don't like the dirtiness in Bond. And it is very synthetic.

The Bond for me hands down!!!
    Gary

Oud Wood.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    Bond New York always struck me as oud in the bandaidy Montale style and a bit of a rip off but I don't dislike the way it smells nearly as much as I used to since I haven't had to smell it in a while. Like a really good take on Montale. But I vote for Tom Ford because I prefer prettier style ouds.
    Interesting take. Just out of curiosity, can you tell me which Montale NY Oud is similar to? I've only tried two Montales so far: Black Aoud and Dark Aoud. Maybe it's just me, but IMO neither of them were similar to NY Oud. NY Oud is sweet, but I really don't get much of a rose vibe from it (as opposed to Black Aoud).

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Interesting take. Just out of curiosity, can you tell me which Montale NY Oud is similar to? I've only tried two Montales so far: Black Aoud and Dark Aoud. Maybe it's just me, but IMO neither of them were similar to NY Oud. NY Oud is sweet, but I really don't get much of a rose vibe from it (as opposed to Black Aoud).
    My impression, which I tried perhaps unsucessfully to articulate, was that the style of oud used in New York Oud reminds me of the style of oud which, to me again, is characteristic of the style of oud used in several popular oud centered fragrances made by Montale, e.g. Black Aoud, Cuir d' Arabie and Dark Aoud, that style being the big assertive rubbery bandaidy one. I was making a comparison about a similarity in styles of oud, not of individual fragrances per se. I do think however that Black Aoud bears more than a passing resemblance to New York Oud. And that is not a compliment.

Oud Wood > NY Oud

NY Oud is sweeter. I like them both, but I prefer Oud Wood. Also, IMHO, Oud Wood is more wearable; as in, I could wear it more often than I could NY Oud.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    NY Oud and Black Aoud are quite similar. If you like one, chances are you'll like the other.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

Dependent

Harrods Oud > Oud Wood > NY Oud

I love them both, but they are very different to me. Oud Wood seems like a more straightforward oud fragrance. NY Oud is much ore complex to me, and I have to really stretch to pick out the oud notes. I prefer NY Oud, just because it seems much more interesting.

Basenotes Member The New York Perfumista's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tom Ford Oud Wood! It's just beautiful and classy. NY Oud does smell more complex, but I feel like if I wore this people would say, "Are you wearing OUD?" lol. NY Oud = presumptuous. Oud Wood = Cool as a cucumber.
    I actually like the BOND NO.9 PERFUME OUD in the gold bottle... But that's just me.
    Last edited by The New York Perfumista; 5th August 2012 at 04:52 PM.
    My current Scent Addiction: Heeley Bubblegum Chic
    Twitter: @theNYperfumista

NY Oud. One of the best there is.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I find TF Oud Wood much more comparable to Bond's Harrods Oud, also known as HSLE. These 2 are much more straightforward with their oudness. I have Bond's Harrods Oud on one arm and TF Oud Wood on the other and I prefer the Harrods Oud. I find it sharper, and and more complex than the Oud Wood. Love them both, but would chose Harrods if I had to pick one.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by gatorNY View Post
    I find TF Oud Wood much more comparable to Bond's Harrods Oud, also known as HSLE. These 2 are much more straightforward with their oudness. I have Bond's Harrods Oud on one arm and TF Oud Wood on the other and I prefer the Harrods Oud. I find it sharper, and and more complex than the Oud Wood. Love them both, but would chose Harrods if I had to pick one.
    I agree completely. Apparently the connecting factor here is an overdose of the Givaudan oud material. Yummy stuff. The Harrods is a lot more green with its vetiver. SculptureOfSoul also says he thinks HLSE has chinese perfume tree blossom in it as well.

Interesting. Coincidentally, Harrods Oud is on top of my soon-to-sample list. I've heard a lot of good things about it. Unfortunately, so far, I've yet to find a reasonable price to sample it.

Bond?????!

I've only tried Oud Wood, but it smelt to me like an uninteresting M7.

Oud Wood and Bond No. 9 New York Oud could not be more different from each other. Oud Wood is a somewhat synthetic smelling woody oud scent with a soft finish. It is nice smelling overall and easier to wear than most any other woody oud perfume. Bond New York Oud is a raspberry and rose saffron oud mixed perfume that is very bold with a tart floral oud that will make your mouth water, but is more difficult to wear on a regular basis. They aren't in the same category of oud fragrance because they smell so far apart. NY Oud compares more to Midnight Oud or Montales Aoud Royal or even Black Aoud and for this type of oud blend it is a very nice fragrance. Oud Wood is more comparable to drier woody oud like M7, Perfume Calligraphy, Pure Oud, or Al Oudh. My favorite dry wood oud at this moment is Aramis Perfume Calligraphy. My favorite rose oud is Dior Oud Ispahan. But these are all very good fragrances and "favorites" are totally subjective and variable to personal taste.

Dependent

Agree that these two don't resemble each other much. They certainly don't warrant a poll imo.

Bond HLSE and Oud Wood otoh are very close.