Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Amouage Interlude Man - 2012

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    to those who tried Byredo's Baudelaire... is Interlude man similar to it in any way ?
    To me, the two are pretty different.

Here are my most recent thoughts about it after giving it another wear:

SotD: Amouage Interlude Man

It's rich, multi-layered, sweet without being cloying, employs a clever use of a green culinary note, is creative and distinctive, technically sound (as far as I am able to judge such criteria), has great longevity and just-right projection, AND... I don't like it.

Well, that's not true. I like it, but don't love it, and don't feel compelled to wear it anymore. I'm not sure why that is; it's either just too polished and agreeable - the nice guy who always responds "Whatever you want to do, dear" when his significant other asks him what he'd like to do, or perhaps, somehow, it's personality is simply too close - has too many parallels - with my own, if you'll allow me this case of odd and extreme olfactory-anthropomorphism. It's like having a discussion with someone who agrees with you on every single point down to the minutiae; you quickly realize there's no reason to talk at all.

The thought that it might be the latter makes me reconsider just what qualities would comprise the true holy grail. The thought that it's some odd mix of both scares me the most - I don't want to be *that* guy.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I wore this yesterday and I'm going to add my impressions on the fragrance:

On first application I'm picking up a slight bergamont and a overwhelming pungent smell of oregana.

This oregana smell's like a cross between a earthy warm kitchen spice and a pot plant. What's worse is that a dose of pepper has been added to give it a harsh edge.

Now lets call it a "kitchen spice accord" which I find very overwhelming and cloying. After a while it gets sweeter and a incense note starts to appear from the heart of the composition.

As time moves forward I can pick up leather with the incense note becoming more dominant.Though that earthy peppery "kitchen spice accord" is still there (no getting away from it.lol).

The fragrance is smoky and spicy in a balmy way which is starting to become more sweeter.

As we move into the basenotes I'm smelling a smoky incense with a slight sweet amber mixed in with the "kitchen spice accord" which has mellowed at this stage.

IN CONCLUSION

I'm not really liking this as the "kitchen spice accord" really overwhelms everthing else. And it smells like something that should be on a pizza or put into a curry. And its something I do not want to smell like.

If I was to sum up the frag it would be this:

" A earthy peppery kitchen spice and incense fragrance that is joined by amber to sweeten the harshness".
    @ Jack Hunter - An interesting take.

Fascinating how extreme the differences in perception are with this one.

My nose must suck because I'm really enjoying this one... On the other hand, I did just have 4 shots of Johnny Walker Blue Label.

Been giving this another chance and am beginning to fall for it. It's just a bit TOO strong imo.

Anyhow, I can't believe no one has said this yet: the woods/leather/smoke accord, coupled with the spice - is really quite similar to Puredistance M. There's a bit more sweetness here, and Interlude is more 'playful and joyful', but the basic accord is really quite similar.

As for those who say that Amouage is on a downward trend, I just don't get that. Interlude (Man AND Woman) are a huge step up from Honour and are on par with the best of the house.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

my best buy this year..250 euros well spent!
    sailing the Oceans of Boredom...

I absolute love several scents by Amouage including Interlude. (wear it today)
    But i am afraid that Amouage is on a downward trend regarding their sales points,
    I recently discovered it's even for sale at Douglass in Europe.
    Not really a store for an exclusive brand like Amouage

I really don't know what happened but somehow I grew to dislike it shortly after I had a full bottle of Interlude Man. Initially I was really digging this but the incense-oud-amber versus bergamot-cistus now rub me the wrong way. I already sold away my bottle. One of those occasional 180°s for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgio View Post
    I absolute love several scents by Amouage including Interlude. (wear it today)
    But i am afraid that Amouage is on a downward trend regarding their sales points,
    I recently discovered it's even for sale at Douglass in Europe.
    Not really a store for an exclusive brand like Amouage
    maybe they want to go mainstream?!

Well, wether you like it or not, Interlude Man is not a mainstream fragrance. Also, Amouage isn't sold in the smaller Douglas-stores, probably just the flagship stores in the big cities. They also sell other "niche" stuff like Lutens and Co.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Been giving this another chance and am beginning to fall for it. It's just a bit TOO strong imo.

Anyhow, I can't believe no one has said this yet: the woods/leather/smoke accord, coupled with the spice - is really quite similar to Puredistance M. There's a bit more sweetness here, and Interlude is more 'playful and joyful', but the basic accord is really quite similar.

As for those who say that Amouage is on a downward trend, I just don't get that. Interlude (Man AND Woman) are a huge step up from Honour and are on par with the best of the house.

Agreed. Really enjoying Interlude.

Basenotes Member

[QUAgreed. Wanred to sell mine att first but have since fallen for it.
    OTE=SculptureOfSoul;2787717]Been giving this another chance and am beginning to fall for it. It's just a bit TOO strong imo.

As for those who say that Amouage is on a downward trend, I just don't get that. Interlude (Man AND Woman) are a huge step up from Honour and are on par with the best of the house.[/QUOTE]
    My top ten: Jubilation XXV, Memoir Man, Egoiste, Aventus, Royal Oud, Amber Absolute, Kouros, Musc Ravageur, Erolfa, Tuscan Leather.

Basenotes Member

The subjective nature of smell is simply fascinating.

Last night I was eager to finally try this out as a sales associate had given me a generous decant. Unfortunately, as Jack Hunter eloquently describes, I could not get over the kitchen spice, smoke, peppery-like accord which never sits well with me. To my horror, I had to run in to check on our crying baby a few minutes after first application last night (one spray to my wrist) and had picked her up and given her a consolatory hug without thinking. As I put her back down sleeping and left the room, I immediately realized I had just inadvertently shared Interlude with her and her bed sheet and her swaddle blanket for the whole night. This morning her room still smelled like Interlude, and I am a terrible parent for having her endure it for a whole night.

I'm glad others enjoy it, but this one is definitely not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I wore this yesterday and I'm going to add my impressions on the fragrance:

On first application I'm picking up a slight bergamont and a overwhelming pungent smell of oregana.

This oregana smell's like a cross between a earthy warm kitchen spice and a pot plant. What's worse is that a dose of pepper has been added to give it a harsh edge.

Now lets call it a "kitchen spice accord" which I find very overwhelming and cloying. After a while it gets sweeter and a incense note starts to appear from the heart of the composition.

As time moves forward I can pick up leather with the incense note becoming more dominant.Though that earthy peppery "kitchen spice accord" is still there (no getting away from it.lol).

The fragrance is smoky and spicy in a balmy way which is starting to become more sweeter.

As we move into the basenotes I'm smelling a smoky incense with a slight sweet amber mixed in with the "kitchen spice accord" which has mellowed at this stage.

IN CONCLUSION

I'm not really liking this as the "kitchen spice accord" really overwhelms everthing else. And it smells like something that should be on a pizza or put into a curry. And its something I do not want to smell like.

If I was to sum up the frag it would be this:

" A earthy peppery kitchen spice and incense fragrance that is joined by amber to sweeten the harshness".
    I haven't yet smelled Interlude, but all this talk of Oregano, allspice, smoke, pepper, and designer amber bases at true EDP strength just serves to further stall my testing it.

I premptively fear Interlude is exactly the kind of overthought, posing disaster, that has been the direction the house is going in. There is no joy. No optimism. Everything recently has been some somber, smoldering, angry culinary meditation of sorrow and loss. Last scent that really grabbed me from their line was XXV.

True opulence is not at all contemplatively miserable. Or discordant. Or bitter. It's comfortable. Content. Confident. Perhaps the zeitgeist of the "new wealth" is being portrayed here by amouage?

Nah.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

I received a sample of this awhile ago and have had a couple wearings. The initial accord which lingers throughout the duration is quite a bold statement. A strong spice accord, fronted by a pungent pimento (allspice) aroma. Some incense and a subtle touch of amber join in later on. I draw an association with PG Coze, but less dry, no cocoa, and much more depth. Also, I can see the connection to Puredistance M, it holds a sort of mature contemplative vibe. I think it's a good fragrance, but for my personal preference, if the allspice was less dominant and played off the other notes more it could have been a true stunner.

I've only sampled this once, but I'm not a fan so far.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I haven't yet smelled Interlude, but all this talk of Oregano, allspice, smoke, pepper, and designer amber bases at true EDP strength just serves to further stall my testing it.

I premptively fear Interlude is exactly the kind of overthought, posing disaster, that has been the direction the house is going in. There is no joy. No optimism. Everything recently has been some somber, smoldering, angry culinary meditation of sorrow and loss. Last scent that really grabbed me from their line was XXV.

True opulence is not at all contemplatively miserable. Or discordant. Or bitter. It's comfortable. Content. Confident. Perhaps the zeitgeist of the "new wealth" is being portrayed here by amouage?

Nah.
    Dullah, I think the Interlude duo are as close to a 'return to form' as you'll see from the house. Woman is sparkling and lively. Ostensibly discordant but once you examine it closely you realize it's actually just an ingenious composition and the complexity of it is beyond most noses, and thus can appear discordant. Man is actually similar except it's almost harder to tease apart as where Woman's notes are analogous to a very complex geometric form, Man is more watercolor. I don't mean it's light or translucent, just that the edge where one note ends and another begins is so well blended that it can be hard to pick them apart. This, coupled with the heavier notes, gives man a density that woman doesn't have - gives Interlude Man a density of say Epic (or even Gold), but the strong amber and other more uplifting notes (and sweetness) echo the (excuse me) jubilant nature of Jubilation.

I wouldn't call Interlude bitter, either. The oregano in the opening is a bit spicy - even a bit pot-like (yes, there's a slight hint of Kinski in this!) but overall Interlude Man definitely embodies the traits you are looking for: comfortable, content, confident.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else picking up a honey note in this about 2-3 hours in, when the amber accord really begins to gain momentum? I definitely get honey - a slightly dirty/sexy honey. That sweetness is more than just vanilla to my nose.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Great description as always, SoS. Indeed there is a honey note develops later into the drydown. Amouage certainly are back on track after the disappointment of Honour

Indeed they are! While I don't think Interlude Man or Woman will top Memoir Man as my favorite from the house, I think they are the best duo that Amouage has put out... possibly ever. Up there with the Gold duo in richness, complexity, and "Amouage-ness."
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

whenever you are wearing Amouage..them Ladies know...!

Interlude Man reminds me of some kind of roasted nuts. It smells delicious but I'd get bored if I were to use it every day. Not that I would do that, though...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Cool Re: Amouage Interlude Man - 2012

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Interlude Man reminds me of some kind of roasted nuts. It smells delicious but I'd get bored if I were to use it every day. Not that I would do that, though...
    wearing the same scent everyday is boring just like wearing the same dress everyday, after all it's a scent not an uniform

my tune may change, but at least for now I'll take Ambre Sultan all day over Interlude Man.

Dullah, I think the Interlude duo are as close to a 'return to form' as you'll see from the house. Woman is sparkling and lively. Ostensibly discordant but once you examine it closely you realize it's actually just an ingenious composition and the complexity of it is beyond most noses, and thus can appear discordant. Man is actually similar except it's almost harder to tease apart as where Woman's notes are analogous to a very complex geometric form, Man is more watercolor. I don't mean it's light or translucent, just that the edge where one note ends and another begins is so well blended that it can be hard to pick them apart. This, coupled with the heavier notes, gives man a density that woman doesn't have - gives Interlude Man a density of say Epic (or even Gold), but the strong amber and other more uplifting notes (and sweetness) echo the (excuse me) jubilant nature of Jubilation.

I wouldn't call Interlude bitter, either. The oregano in the opening is a bit spicy - even a bit pot-like (yes, there's a slight hint of Kinski in this!) but overall Interlude Man definitely embodies the traits you are looking for: comfortable, content, confident.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else picking up a honey note in this about 2-3 hours in, when the amber accord really begins to gain momentum? I definitely get honey - a slightly dirty/sexy honey. That sweetness is more than just vanilla to my nose.
    SWMBO and myself went on a snowboarding trip this last week. She Loves Interlude Man and I had a tester that I was bringing for myself so I obtained Interlude Women for her. Her first reaction was a large smile and the word "mayhem" when smelling the Women. LOL I agree... I also get a honey note in both, more so the women then man but both have it. I also think the women could very easily be worn by a man.
    I completely agree with your take on them both. They are excellent frags and after we both wore them during the week SWMBO decided she wanted it. (thank god I finally got her off the Chan 5!!! Well putting brad pitt for the pitch person helped with that also!)
    We really enjoyed wearing them together.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Awesome story! Not too surprised she loved the woman - it is *indeed* mayhem, but a controlled chaos. And the best part about that is that it's always interesting to wear; there's always something new to pick up.

Somehow with Man... I do like the smell and I honestly think it is one of the best compositions I've ever smelled (rich, dense, beautiful layers and interesting juxtapositions) but it seems I always get sick of it before the day is up. Maybe it's just too strong? I tend not to like overly thick/dense frags though, so that's surely part of it, too. It's rare that I try to have a separate 'objective review' of a fragrance (because none of us can truly be objective, and besides, what's the point?) but I do feel the need to make the distinction between how good I think the composition is versus my enjoyment of it, simply because I really do think the composition is wonderful and I can understand why so many do/will love it.

I'd love to smell this pair together. I might try that layering some time. And yes, Woman is quite unisex. I've worn it a number of times and have not felt self conscious at all (things like Fahrenheit 32 or Fleur du Male are more feminine, imo!)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    SWMBO and myself went on a snowboarding trip this last week. She Loves Interlude Man and I had a tester that I was bringing for myself so I obtained Interlude Women for her. Her first reaction was a large smile and the word "mayhem" when smelling the Women. LOL I agree... I also get a honey note in both, more so the women then man but both have it. I also think the women could very easily be worn by a man.
    I completely agree with your take on them both. They are excellent frags and after we both wore them during the week SWMBO decided she wanted it. (thank god I finally got her off the Chan 5!!! Well putting brad pitt for the pitch person helped with that also!)
    We really enjoyed wearing them together.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Agree completely on Interlude Woman, Sculpture - I find it to be a terrific summer pick-me-up. It seems to have a zing about it that I also find in the earlier stages of Myrrhe et Delires (Guerlain). It makes me think of a cool fresh ginger in amongst some bright pear (maybe) and a few other lighter notes - quite a sophisticated and exotic cocktail of ingredients.

My appreciation for Interlude Man has . . . appreciated . . . since I bought it back at the launch. It performs beautifully in the Asian summer heat.

Wearing Interlude Man again and enjoying it a lot this time. It's been a weird ride with this scent. Despite getting sick of it before the day was over with my last few wearings, I couldn't stop thinking about it when I wasn't wearing it. This has been the most enjoyable wearing so far and thankfully despite one more spray than usual it doesn't feel too strong for once. I know it usually takes a wearing or two for my nose to fully acclimate to a scent, but it seems it's taking longer with Interlude. That's ok though as it has been an interesting ride!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Wearing Interlude Man again and enjoying it a lot this time. It's been a weird ride with this scent. Despite getting sick of it before the day was over with my last few wearings, I couldn't stop thinking about it when I wasn't wearing it. This has been the most enjoyable wearing so far and thankfully despite one more spray than usual it doesn't feel too strong for once. I know it usually takes a wearing or two for my nose to fully acclimate to a scent, but it seems it's taking longer with Interlude. That's ok though as it has been an interesting ride!
    It is such a heavy scent I find I am still learning what it has in it's bag of tricks. It is one of the frag's that I can only do 1-2 sprays. Any more and it is overkill and becomes a fog of WMD around me!!! (weapon of mass destruction)
    Woman weaves in and out of the honey accord so often that it feels much lighter then man. I almost feel like man is a night frag and woman is more a day frag.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

In my case it was just the other way round.