Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Amouage Interlude Man - 2012

INTERLUDE MAN (Amouage)

in·ter·lude (ntr-ld) n.
    1. An intervening episode, feature, or period of time:
    2. Music. Short piece inserted between the parts of a longer composition.

I am always interested in the back-story / inspiration in the Amouage Man/Woman releases. Looking back at Lyric, Epic, Memoir and Honour I find a narrative development that appeals to me, a story basically. I also like the fact that they come in pairs – “quel horreur!” in this day and age when it’s all about one-offs and unisex and whatnot – I think it’s romantic. Look further and you’ll see that different perfumers work on the Man & Woman and that the relationship between the two quite often mirrors an imaginary relationship between two characters – Memoir, particularly, brought this home to me. I like the conceptual angle – I like to know what’s going on behind the scenes as a piece of creative work gestates and comes together.

So, it was interesting knowing that I’d be sitting down and chatting with Christopher Chong at the Interlude Launch and would have a chance to get his take on things direct. Why? Because there hasn’t been a lot of pre-release press about Interlude – all I can recall is a mention of ‘abstraction’ and ‘chaos’ somewhere, and also a particularly cool quote from his own facebook page “Fuck the olfactory triangle”, which I really like, although I’m not sure if it’s aimed at any one perfume in particular.

Apart from this, all we really have to go on is the name – one more dictionary definition:

“Interlude: In the theatre an interlude performs the same function as an entr'acte, music between acts or scenes, designed to bridge a gap. It may also be used to indicate music played or sung between two other works or two sections of a work.”

Mr. Chong explained that he was thinking of an Interlude in musical terms, (no surprise there) but rather than alluding to any specific operatic or literary piece he just said that with all the chaos we have seen in the world over this last year or so that this particular Interlude was more about the idea of everyone taking a collective breath, finding a bit of peace amongst it all. I can live with that – I’m fed up with watching the news and as far as perfume goes, much as I love Memoir Man’s brooding Heathcliffian character and others in the line that speak of deeper things, sometimes a simple break from the intensity of it all can be quite welcome. This is a feel-good scent, for sure – it makes me smile.

Interlude Man: Spicy/Woody.

Fragrance notes from Christopher Chong - he also mentioned that concentration for Man is 25% (Woman is 22.5%) - pushed as far as IFRA limits would allow.
    Perfumer: Pierre Negrin

Bergamot, Oregano, Pimento Berry Oil, Amber, Frankincense, Cistus, Opoponax, Leather, Agarwood Smoke, Patchouli, Sandalwood.

The first hour or so seems to be largely driven by the Pimento Berry Oil and it's supporters. I saw elsewhere ‘allspice berries’ mentioned, and the more general sound of that works for me as it’s a mildly sweetened spicy, slightly herbal accord with a light hint of the powdery quality that Opoponax can lend. My first thought was ‘jelly beans for grown-ups’ (in a good way). It’s bright, upbeat and has a verging on aroma-therapeutic quality going for it.

Over the course of an hour or so this slides into a ‘springy’ woods kind of mood. We had poplar trees lining the sports fields when I was a kid and if you bend a branch enough it will break (begrudgingly) and this reminds me of the bright, clean bleached wood quality you get from that when it’s dried off a bit (as opposed to heavier woods, or the ubiquitous ‘cedar’, which mercifully is nowhere to be seen here).

Interlude Man pretty well hums along in this woods and spice in a good mood manner for a few hours with little 'moments' as different notes weave in and out, with a very interesting sense of smoke hovering over the proceedings – all with a reassuring tonic goodness in evidence. It will put a spring in your step.

Mr. Chong mentioned that chaos and anarchy resolving into a sense of peace was part of the intention here and I sort of get that – it’s not a defined three-step progression and it’s anything but linear. The cover art on the box makes perfect sense actually - abstract, fleeting glimpses of colour coming and going over a darker background, but above all optimistic.

There is no real sense of the heavy hitters mentioned making a grand entrance at any point – but there is a sober undercurrent that becomes more apparent over time. The smoky quality is backed up by a subtly darker mood – it’s like you notice the light shift in the background and you realize it’s getting later in the day. I sensed this far more from arms length than leaning into sniff close up – nice projection. My guess is that this has been there all along but as this is first time out I am noticing the top end stuff rather than getting the whole picture – usually the way.

My sense is that Interlude is an apt name for those of us who know the whole Amouage canon – it’s quite relaxed, laid back, even – it’s not as demanding as an Epic or a Memoir, or even Lyric. If this is Christopher Chong’s idea of pausing for breath before jumping into the next chapter with Amouage and working with some new perfumers on board then all power to him, frankly – and if it’s a call to those who are interested in listening to just step back from the brink and take a deep collective breath then that’s cool too. I’m enjoying this and so are the couple of people I work with in the studio, as it happens. It seems a bit clunky using the word ‘fragrant’ to describe a fragrance, but I’m grasping for words here. In Cantonese there’s a word ‘heung’ which conveys a lot more than just ‘fragrant’ and that’s what I’m getting from Interlude – there’s an interplay of quite vital ‘tonic’ notes, that just make you feel good. I’m looking forward to wearing it some more over the next few days to get a little more perspective.

Six hours gone and this moderate two-spray to each wrist application is easing off, wrapping up ‘Day One with Interlude’. I consider this a superficial glance - I would not usually write so soon but given the fact we were lucky enough to get the first look over here I wanted to kick a ‘first impressions’ out for you guys who are interested. With a bit of luck this might even be a Basenotes scoop. It’s a new Amouage to join the line-up and it is it’s own man

Thanks to the Lane Crawford team (especially So) for the super low-key Launch Event and to Christopher Chong for being so generous with his time.

With Christopher Chong, Lane Crawford June 26th. 2012

July 1st. Update:

It's clear to me I was only getting about half of the story. Subsequent wearings have brought home two key facts to me.

1. The interplay between the frgarant 'berry like' and mild balsamic sweetness, the Opoponax, during the course of a few hours, is mesmerising. A subtly different experience each time depending on where I am, relative humidity etc. I really enjoy the upbeat complexity of this. The 'grown-up jelly beans' analogy probably sounds dismissive or even vaguely insulting but it is not intended that way. It's just one way of describing a a quite heady mix of individual notes that seem to be constantly shifting depending on your perspective. I perceive the underlaying 'background', (for what it's worth), as an azure dipping into dark powder blue.

2. The Agarwood Smoke accord, tempered by a light dose of Leather, is now strikingly apparent. Where many perfumes fade off to a soft vanilla or 'give me a cuddle' ending, the lasting impression from Interlude, best witnessed on the shirt worn during the day, is a terrific smoky quality that hints at a lighter Memoir Man or dialled down Leather Oud, maybe all tempered a bit by whatever Sandalwood is involved (I can't detect a literal note but there's something smooth happening here that I like).
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 4th July 2012 at 05:55 AM.

Default Re: Amouage Interlude Man - 2012

Very nice read mr. reasonable. Thanks!

Sound Scents

Definitely enjoyed your descriptors mr. reasonable and I look forward to trying this one.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Bravo Mr. Reasonable and thanks Mr. Chong for spending his time to share the thoughts with us.

Really looking forward to getting this on July the 4th, The notes list sounds perfect for me.

Great read Mr.R! Definitely on my test lits.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Thanks mr reasonable for your dedicated and detailled report! Great read!

After seeing the box and smelling the female counterpart (the masculine bottle was away for a photoshoot, apparently) I was expecting this to be an amouage version of aventus, or something to that effect. The biggest amouage crowdpleaser? It's good to hear that there is a somber balance to it. At any rate, will sample

Thanks for the update! This sounds very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    After seeing the box and smelling the female counterpart (the masculine bottle was away for a photoshoot, apparently) I was expecting this to be an amouage version of aventus, or something to that effect. The biggest amouage crowdpleaser? It's good to hear that there is a somber balance to it. At any rate, will sample
    I'd love to hear more thoughts on Interlude Woman if you don't mind.

- - - Updated - - -

And thank you for the great introduction to Interlude Man Mr. Reasonable! I can't wait to hear more.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Enjoyed reading the description.

Nice, thanks for posting that mr. reasonable, was real curious about this one, can't wait to get my hands on it.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Basenotes Institution

Thank you for this great thread, Mr. Reasonable. I am really looking forward to Interlude Woman as well.
    I must say Mr. Chong is so boy-ish / young looking !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Amouage is an exceptional house. My experience with their fragrances has been positive, and I look forward to this new one as well.

A superb report. Thank you!

Thank you for posting this.
    Very much looking forward to trying this.
    Epic Man
    Memoir Man
    Zino
    Heritage
    Ambre Sultan
    Tobacco Vanille
    Bois Du Portugal
    Patchouly Noir

Very nice indeed. Looking forward to trying this one.

Thank you very much Mr. R! Can't wait to sniff that for sure.

I'm not gonna try it as I seriously fear falling for yet another Amouage -.-
    Smellin good

Wow, Timaru, so glad to have you back!
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great thread, Mr. Reasonable. But did you try Interlude Woman? That's the one I'm currently salivating over...

Basenotes Institution

Yes, I am also salivating for any bit of news re. Interlude Woman .

Oh, wonderful writing on this one Mr. Reasonable. I've not smelled it, but feel like I have now. This actually sounds intriguing to me. Thanks!

When does this come out?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Great thread, Mr. Reasonable. But did you try Interlude Woman? That's the one I'm currently salivating over...
    Given it one test run and Coconut, who was with me, has worn it properly - she posted in fragrantica, I think. I will get into it this weekend. Very briefly, it's billed as a floral chypre and I get that sense BUT I am not experienced with the whole host of floral chypres that are more commonly marketed as femmes so it's hard to compare, per se. I know Mitsouko & Aromatics Elixir well, and one or two others, but that's about it.

My initial impression is that there is a similarity in feel to the opening of Myrrhe et Delires which I read as pear-ish, with a bit of a crisp zing to it - Coconut mentioned ginger. I love it, because this then sustains and evolves as the drier more mature chypre idea takes hold. Tough for me to describe with only a cursory wearing - but Coconut also mentioned unisex pretty much straight off the bat - it's sophisticated, under stated.

At this point I really only have a bit of a fix on the front end, which I intend to compare directly with the Guerlain on the weekend, and hope to then really get a handle on the whole story from front to end, rather than just a quick wrist test.

PS Thanks, all for reading and supportive comments
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 29th June 2012 at 05:59 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Oh thanks , Mr. Reasonable- I am just grateful for any information ! Floral Chypre sounds excellent. I can't wait to hear more.

A nice read. I can't wait to try it!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Thanks for posting this. Did you ask him why the "collars" come off of all of their bottles? I can't figure out how to fix mine...it looks naked without the name ring there...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Thank you for this great thread, Mr. Reasonable. I am really looking forward to Interlude Woman as well.
    I must say Mr. Chong is so boy-ish / young looking !
    Totally - on all counts!

Thanks for the enjoyable read mr.reasonable!

And I completely relate to heung.

for swap/sale:

Just got samples of both Man and Woman today. Thank you to the extremely generous person who sent them to me!

I sniffed both on paper and initial impressions were very good.

I decided to actually wear Woman first, and have it on as I type this. Will report back as I gather more thoughts. Let's just say that I think it's absolutely...
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Looking forward to your impressions, SculptureOfSoul! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Just got samples of both Man and Woman today. Thank you to the extremely generous person who sent them to me!

I sniffed both on paper and initial impressions were very good.

I decided to actually wear Woman first, and have it on as I type this. Will report back as I gather more thoughts. Let's just say that I think it's absolutely...
    D'oh! Scrub that and get going on the male version.

nah, I'm kidding, but I'm curious what you have to say about the male version considering you're previous inspired Amouage reviews.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    D'oh! Scrub that and get going on the male version.

nah, I'm kidding, but I'm curious what you have to say about the male version considering you're previous inspired Amouage reviews.

Hahaha. Love this. Yes, SOS - your reviews have alwasy pointed me in the right direction re: amouage releases. Get Sniff'n.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Well, I almost feel bad for my Honour Man review. My chemical sensitivities were still present then (along with a few other health issues). I am confident that they are completely gone now thanks to some major changes in my life (primarily diet - no gluten and ultra-low carb was the answer for me).... so I don't think, or at least hope, I won't end up changing my mind about these scents. My original review of Honour Man was what I was smelling at the time but now it seems much simpler and the wood note is just too dry and simple, and the scent feels unfinished to me. I want to love it, but it's probably my second least favorite masculine Amouage after Dia Man.

Anyhow, more news soon.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Can't wait for your take on interlude man!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Thanks for the scoop, Mr R. And a lovely photo to boot! Looking forward to trying this...

I just got a sample of this from the Amouage boutique. First impressions of the male version:

1) The "Jelly Beans for grown ups" analogy is quite apt, as it does indeed open with a certain vibrant fruity-zesty firework, which matches its colorful branding quite well.

2) The comparison is Leather Oud is warranted too, first thing which came into my head even before Mr.Reasonable made mention. It's a lot more refined, restrained and smoother though, without the bitter animalics and a more feminine imparted sweetness.

3) Definitely unisex.

4) If you're a fan of Comme des Garcons Kyoto and Dior Leather Oud, then this could be up your street.
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 4th July 2012 at 08:39 AM.

Duke, do you get any hint of black licorice/anise in the scent? I think I get fennel early on, and there's something about the sweetness that suggests anise without smelling like straight up anise. I don't think it's just the pimento berry as pimento berry oils are usually spicier and have some clove/eugenol elements (although I don't actually get any clove or eugenol feel from this scent).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Duke, do you get any hint of black licorice/anise in the scent? I think I get fennel early on, and there's something about the sweetness that suggests anise without smelling like straight up anise. I don't think it's just the pimento berry as pimento berry oils are usually spicier and have some clove/eugenol elements (although I don't actually get any clove or eugenol feel from this scent).
    A slight hint of licorice yes, now that you mention it.

I also get a bit of Tribute in the mix - the combination of smoke, incense, patchouli, and subtle leather.

Ok, I'm going to hold off on these little snippet impressions and wait til I more fully grasp the scent before I say more.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I also get a bit of Tribute in the mix - the combination of smoke, incense, patchouli, and subtle leather.

Ok, I'm going to hold off on these little snippet impressions and wait til I more fully grasp the scent before I say more.
    Dry down approaching and it's rather confectionery, even for my sweet tooth.

It's weird, because at times my nose is honing in on the sweetness, and other times I mostly perceive the smoke/patchouli/sandalwood/leather.

Woman is even more difficult to pin down, and has at least 4 or 5 different 'faces'.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

The official notes list:

Top Notes: Bergamot, Oregano, Pimento Berry Oil.

Heart Notes: Amber, Frankincense, Cistus, Opoponax.

Base Notes: Leather, Agarwood Smoke, Patchouli, Sandalwood.

I tried to order it this morning but the girl at the counter in Harrods was unsure on the UK release date so maybe its been put back from the 4th of July? Its available from the Amouage boutique online so I'll probably go with that.

edit- Just heard back and its exclusive to Selfridges UK and amouage.com until the end of July and it'll be available elsewhere (Harrods etc) in August.
    Last edited by Kron; 5th July 2012 at 11:11 AM.

Sorry for the delay. I need at least one more wearing before I properly comment. I got another wearing of Woman in, too, and should have initial impressions of both up in a day or two.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Basenotes Plus

Just to let you know that I've put up a review of both Woman and Man today: http://wp.me/p1ovGs-Wf
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Looks like vanilla is one of the secret ingredients of Interlude Man. Or maybe its a symphony of notes that smell similar to it.

Is there a story behind reflection man?

As stated before SOS, I am really looking forward to your take on Interlude Man. I loved your thread on MemoirMan. It really helped me make the decision to invest in a bottle and provided me with a strong point of reference as I became familiar with it.
    YOur reviews here are wonderful.

So far, interlude sounds very interesting.

Wardrobe malfunction Christopher? Huge FAIL with the army pants

i am still waiting for the amouage boutique to reply my email request on the price and samples ( if given/sold )..from the reading of the articles above.. the smell thus seems to be very good or maybe excellent, from the explanation, to me, it is gourmand style with a twist of flowery notes for woman and smoky oriental for man..i have no idea yet because i have not smell it, but the idea that amouage produced is really interesting and unique in a sense that it follows the gourmand trend but unique in adding an additional factor to it..but the things that bother me is the IFRA ruling..it is stated that the concentration is reduced to 22.5 % and 25%..i have used amouage before, frankly i love it, it is in my humble opinion,that amouage is one of the best there is..the fragrance do not fails me at all , it lasts up to the next day in a hot and humid country and it leaves trails at the office and home and the trails last for a few hours..but from the statement above after 6 hours the smell seems to ease of at the wrist...it is a bit out of the normal from amouage that i know of...maybe the smell chemistry produced by the writer body is different , i dont know,(btw thank you for explaining)..btw i have tested amouage beloved..it last and the best thing about beloved which i am sure follow IFRA ruling, is like having two perfume..the first half hour smell starts different then it stops then it changes to another type of smells..i hope that interlude still have the characteristic of a very long longetivity (sillage is strong as explained "at arms length") as all the amouage EDP before..

at this point..i am just a bit sad..how i wish i am back home where amouage shop is just 20 minutes away and not waiting for the reply and blinking my eye, scratching my head in awed of the review while my nose crave for the smell of it....:-(

Persolaise will put up his reviews tomorrow

Waiting for my Interlude Man to come in. Made the order as soon as it was available.

Anybody else doing a split on this? (Both of Kron's have been filled).
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Anybody else doing a split on this? (Both of Kron's have been filled).

My samples of Amouage Interlude Men and Women are on their way! Yaay! Can't wait to smell them and review on my blog.

Thank you amouage..just tested interlude woman today..i am always a fan of amouage. when i first sprayed it on my wrist, just like anton ego in ratatouille...i was whisk away to 1978..teardrops drip from the corner of my eyes. I am homesick and miss my mother.I am not an expert. but the smell of the first spritz..reminded me of a morning ritual whenever my parents bring me to a bazaar to alter my trousers. The smell reminded me of chaotic oriental bazaar in the far east early in the morning of people bustling doing their works.The smell arises from incense from each shop at each lot praying for abundance of sales and shops that sells necklace flower (jasmine, etc ) that form a cornucopia of refreshing and arousing smells.I remember back then , while waiting for the trouser to be ready my father would order his coffee and pour some of it inside the saucers for me to sip whilst eating prata bread with curry, while i enjoy the smells of it. I once asked my father why they have not created a talcum powder with the exact smells , my father just laughed. We when back to get the trousers and headed home , i am sitting on my mother lap , i can smell her talcum powder that is like the notes that interlude conjure after a few hours...it does bring back memories to me and i can gladly told my father now..well dad they didn't make talcum powder but they make a perfume...

that is how i felt..when testing it..

Cant wait to try!
    Kron's added another bottle to split on the splits board!!!
    SALE:Bond no.9, Armani Code Summer, Prada, Kenzo, Amouage...more!!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/310...o-Amouage-more!!

Anyone tested the men's yet?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Is this out yet? I haven't seen it turn up on Aedes yet, hoping to order a sample through them..