Code of Conduct

Default John Varvatos for old men?

I recently tried John Varvatos by John Varvatos and I liked it... I thought it was very masculine, sexy and a bit sophisticated. But I worry that it might smell a little old for a 27 year old. I know some people will say that if I like it, who cares? That attitude might work if you're married... but a single guy can't have all the women his age thinking he smells like their father.

Default Re: John Varvatos for old men?

At what age do you consider old?

Banned

I just picked up a bottle of John Varvatos Classic, and I think it would work for anyone 25+. I've received several compliments from 20-somethings since I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    At what age do you consider old?
    Haha how about old is the age when you're old enough to have a daughter I might meet in a bar.

Personally not a fan of this one at all.

Jeez, the things people actually worry about. Imagine you lived in Syria.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    Oh please, stop eating up all the garbage propaganda BBC and CNN are feeding you.

OT: I agree with you OP.. when I wore this some time back I was told that I smelled like an "old man"... I thought it smelled nice though but I do see where they're coming from, this scent does have quite a mature vibe..
    Last edited by SmellFraiche; 28th June 2012 at 04:29 AM.

I'm 33. I have worn this out several times and gotten lots of compliments from a wide range of women. They all say the same thing, "you smell wonderful! What is that you're wearing?" My ex fiancée really liked it.

Old man? I think not. But then again, it might just be about confidence when someone wears a certain cologne.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

I've always thought of John Varvatos ( ....Classic...is that what they are refering it to as now ?) as a younger mans scent. But sure, it can be an old mans scent.

It doesn't matter anyways, because on my skin, it is a non-existent scent in 3 hours .
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    Yes we are discussing trivial things like fragrance while terrible things happen in Syria. May I be so bold as to point out that YOU have 600+ posts about trivial things like fragrance on this board while terrible things happen in Syria? You disgust me.

Old men can wear anything they choose. They also don't have the need to belong to trends like younger men!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I am 22 years old and love it, john varvatos is sophisticated.

Sound Scents

I don't care much for the scent, but also don't care for the "old men" moniker either. Where do folks get this stuff? Just wear it if you like it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I get pretty upset when somebody tells me that the fragrance I'm wearing smells like a "grandpa's". Then I think that it usually comes from people who have no knowledge of perfumery whatsoever, and feel better again.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Sur la Plage

I don't think "older" men would wear John Varvatos.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

You're 27, not exactly young.

Banned

I wonder why so many young people are so optimistic that they might ever reach grandpa's age. If you like something, get to it as long as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Are you kidding?!? Oh, to be 27 again...

My only experience with JV is a sample of Vintage Black, which I rather like.
    Last edited by major_works; 28th June 2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Added stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I don't think "older" men would wear John Varvatos.
    Exactly. The good part about experience is that you learn from mistakes. As well, you learn to develop better taste .

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I agree. I never get why men in their late 20s and 30s think they are "young". It is as if they are clinging onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    I wonder why so many young people are so optimistic that they might ever reach grandpa's age. If you like something, get to it as long as you can.
    Agreed as well. I hope I and all of us reach grandpa's ( and grandma's) age.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I bought a bottle of this when I was 25 and have had it for 3 years now. I receive compliments on it all the time....I definetely do not find it to be "Old Man" smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by ttlpal View Post
    Yes we are discussing trivial things like fragrance while terrible things happen in Syria. May I be so bold as to point out that YOU have 600+ posts about trivial things like fragrance on this board while terrible things happen in Syria? You disgust me.
    I wasn't talking about POSTS or even about the virtues of talking about fragrance. I was talking about things people WORRY about when they have the luxury of not worrying about starving, being bombed, getting hauled off in the night and maimed, having your family washed away in a flood or a tsunami, losing their home in an earthquake, and various other things that really do happen fairly regularly. Sometimes I think human beings have an innate need to worry and will make up something when nothing else important is looming over their head. I kind of put worrying about smelling like an old man in that category.

After all, if you are lucky and none of those things knock you off first, and you are male, and don't have a sex change, you get to BE an old man and people will think you smell bad even if you don't. Now there is something to worry about...
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 29th June 2012 at 01:33 AM.

27 IS young...geez, ya big babies. Get a clue.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Exactly. The good part about experience is that you learn from mistakes. As well, you learn to develop better taste .

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by major_works View Post
    Are you kidding?!? Oh, to be 27 again...
    Pretty much over the hill. The decline begins in the early 20's already, sets in fully from 30 years on when major organs start to suffer. Hit 40 and one's doctor's practice starts to become a 2nd home

It smells kinda old indeed. the scent reminded me of the song "O Sole Mio". smells really good but at the same time, it's for +30 yrs old

It’s also possible that “you smell like my grandfather” simply means you’re wearing a fragrance she associates with her grandfather because he wears it - it could be any fragrance.

...I don't like John Varvatos and I am very old...!

Yea, I never got an old vibe from this, too much sweetness, even the Vintage felt younger. If anything it would work for any age.

Lol, Im 15! Dont make the same mistake I did. Make sure you KNOW its for a younger crowd! If you like the smell buy it for the novelty but dont wear on a date. Wear some nice CREED, impress a lady

Quote Originally Posted by ttlpal View Post
    Haha how about old is the age when you're old enough to have a daughter I might meet in a bar.
    My daughter is 17 and I am 59 and would seriously doubt that she would taking a liking to you.

I think John Varvatos is exactly the kind of fragrance a typical guy in his late 20's / 30's would wear. Doesn't carry an "old man" vibe to me at all.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Quote Originally Posted by travisballeza View Post
    Lol, Im 15! Dont make the same mistake I did. Make sure you KNOW its for a younger crowd! If you like the smell buy it for the novelty but dont wear on a date. Wear some nice CREED, impress a lady
    15 yrs old... Did you wear it on your date to Madagascar 3? I've had my bottle for 2 or 3 years and every female (late 20's/early 30's) that has taken a whiff of it loves it. I'm convinced this juice can work for any age.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

Banned

Sophisticated? Yes, absolutely.

Old?

Hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by travisballeza View Post
    There are many out there that can impress a lady, please don't waste your parents' money on the GREED hype just yet!

I actually do get an old man vibe from this. Wanted it for ages, bought it blind (very rare frag in the UK) and sold it the next day. It reminded me a bit of Opium PH for some reason, another scent that I just don't care for.