Code of Conduct

Question Parfumerie Generale Tonkamande or L'Ombre Fauve?

So I am in the market early next month for a bottle of either Tonkamande or L'Ombre Fauve.

Now either will be a blind buy for me. Too mean to pay Les Senteurs 5 each sample.

I love the idea of Fauve and reviews say it could be a relative of Ambre Sultan which I adore. But something about Tonkamande is calling me, I loved Louve by SL as well.

No reviews on Basenotes for the Tonkamande, but elsewhere.

One minute I decide its X then change my mind to Y.

So opinions please?

I am also getting Cuir d'Iris, but do have a sample.
    DONNA

Default Re: Parfumerie Generale Tonkamande or L'Ombre Fauve?

If 'dusty (unsweet) patchouli' is what you want from L'Ombre Fauve, everything's gonna be alright. I sold my bottle, so can't provide you with a sample anymore. Sorry, donna!

I find Louve superior to Tonkamande which was a disappointment to me. It just did not add up, I found it somehow incoherent and not particulary pleasant. Sorry, I don't remember it well enough to be able to discuss the notes, development, etc. I can only recall my impressions and the fact that I sold my decant after a try.

You can also order samples form First in Fragrance in Germany (http://www.ausliebezumduft.de). The samples cost 4 to 6 EUR for most scents and you do get a cca. 3 ml plastic spray bottle in most cases which is much more than the 1 ml dabber vials from Les Senteurs. They do have L'Ombre Fauve but unfortunately not Tonkamande.

Thank you both, First In Fragrance ask you order a min amount of samples, its in the small print.
    DONNA

Donna,

PM me your address if you'd like samples. I've got them right here.

Shadow of the Beast for me, in fact he is not that scary rather a purring and cuddling kind, but please test yourself.

I prefer Tonkamande to Louve. Tonkamande is less sweet and I received many compliments wearing it.

L'Ombre Fauve is wonderful- musky, ambery, and understated patchouli on me.
    It's really like fur.

I don't think it is anything like Ambre Sultan.

Thank you everyone. I have the chance to actually try these two before deciding. I will report back on my thoughts.
    DONNA

I wouldn't recommend a blind buy for either...sample first.

Ops, I just saw you're also considering Cuir D'Iris which happens to be one of my favorites among the whole line...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

alfarom, I have a sample of the Cuir d'Iris, which I did get free from Les Senteurs in an order. So I know I am safe with that one.
    DONNA

I sampled L'Ombre Fauve recently and found it to be a dusty and patchouli amber, and loved the "furry" feel, but I ended up preferring (and buying)Histories de Parfum Ambre 114. Sorry, haven't smelled Tonkamande.
    Jessica spies a fairy: "You smell awesome, what are you?"

--True Blood

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    alfarom, I have a sample of the Cuir d'Iris, which I did get free from Les Senteurs in an order. So I know I am safe with that one.
    Stay safe then L'Ombre Fauve is actually quite good but, somewhat, I've never been crazy about it. Tonkamande was a major let down for me...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

can't recommend either as a blind buy..sample first.

Basenotes Institution

Ditto what Wildroses said.
    Tonkamande was quite sweet and lovely but ultimately a bit bland and boring. It's a scent that been done many times over .

L'Ombre Fauve is good stuff but I really do think it should be sampled more than once before deciding . Very furry as said before , not quite dirty but smoothly animalic skanky with a lot of patchouli.

Quote Originally Posted by RingER View Post
    I sampled L'Ombre Fauve recently and found it to be a dusty and patchouli amber, and loved the "furry" feel,
    Same impression as above and I preferred my further dustier Borneo 1834 so I skipped buying L'OF.

for swap/sale:

I now have samples of both, thank you so much Gandjahala.

Will try both properly. On a quick trial, Fauve has a strange sour note, which does settle down after awhile. Tonkamande is delicate skin soft.
    DONNA