Code of Conduct

Default La Nuit de L`Homme Frozen Cologne --> should I blind buy?

So in short, I'm a fan of the YSL house. I own most of their releases since 2008, a couple more prior to that but not nearly as consistent. It was actually a flanker by the name of L`Homme Eau d`Ete that started my quest to find the one [and no, I am not referring to D&G!]

What seems like just recently, I passed on L'Homme Gingembre as well as L'Homme Libre. I liked the idea of both releases but perhaps it wasn't so much the fragrances--rather the bottles that caught my eye. I was so sure at one point I was going to cave and purchase Libre over at my local Macy's but it just didn't happen. About 2 weeks ago, I was browsing the internets to add more to my ever increasing want-to-buy list and came across a flanker I'd never even heard of before by the name of La Nuit de L`Homme Frozen Cologne.

--My jaw dropped for a good 5 seconds.

I tried googling it for the price before I made any irrational decisions in situations much like this one. To my surprise, I found absolutely nothing! [Macy's, Nordstrom, Sephora, FragranceNet & related] I did some further digging and discovered that so far and to my knowledge, it has only reached shelves in the UK as of March 2012. Generally, I like to keep up to date with my favorite houses but I won't go out my way and bend over for strictly international releases. With this mindset, I thought I was going to let it pass on by, until just yesterday, it was brought to my attention that a reasonably nearby airport might carry this fragrance in one of their duty free shops.

--I haven't gone yet.

Unless misinformed, I believe the boost in citrus notes will resemble the initial "fruity loops" blast of M7 Fresh [of which I secretly enjoy] and make its presence known when carried over to the dry down of La Nuit de L'Homme. This is a simple combination that I am really looking forward to as its playing over and over again in my mind; primarily because up until this point, La Nuit de L'Homme has been classified with the evening/date/social setting fragrance group.

--I'm not saying it will be groundbreaking, but its certainly a step forward in versatility.

I am open to criticism and need to know whether or not I need this addition in my wardrobe. Summer is approaching and I need a new summer fragrance to mix up with my aquatics!

Hello Basenotes, this is my first post.

Default Re: La Nuit de L`Homme Frozen Cologne --> should I blind buy?

Can't make any decision to sway you but if you decide to purchase it make sure you have the ability to return it if you aren't completely satisfied.

No No No No No. It's the worst YSL launch ever IMO. So sample first.

- - - Updated - - -

" In a world of 1s and 0s...are you a zero, or The One? "

Quote Originally Posted by 0_o View Post

--My jaw dropped ...

This is a simple combination that I am really looking forward to as its playing over and over again in my mind;

For this reason alone I think you should pull the trigger although I have not yet tested Frozen...

08 Eau D' Ete?

I actually ordered this from Ireland when it was available on eBay in March I think it was. I used it for about a week, and got tired of it. I'm a much bigger fan of Cologne Gingembre. Personally, I can't believe it's almost July and it's still not available in the US. You're not really missing anything, btw.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll even make this offer: mail me an empty atomizer and I'll send you back a sample. No catch, no strings!

Welcome to Basenotes O_0!!! I have not been able to sample as of yet.....I always like to sample before I purchase!!! I'm a Big Fan of L'Homme and all of the Flankers!!! I have them all except this scent!!!
    Gary

No!!! YSL actually made something worse then L'Homme Libre. Do yourself a favour and skip it.
    Last edited by Oupavoc; 29th June 2012 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spcmiller View Post
    I actually ordered this from Ireland when it was available on eBay in March I think it was. I used it for about a week, and got tired of it. I'm a much bigger fan of Cologne Gingembre. Personally, I can't believe it's almost July and it's still not available in the US. You're not really missing anything, btw.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll even make this offer: mail me an empty atomizer and I'll send you back a sample. No catch, no strings!
    I took you up on this offer before (thanks Sarge!), and while it's a pretty good scent, I find the base construction similar to its father (L'Homme), and don't feel that it adds much to the lineup. I wouldn't blind buy.

For this scenario:

L'Homme > La Nuit > Frozen ≥ Libre

Quote Originally Posted by Baldini View Post
    I took you up on this offer before (thanks Sarge!), and while it's a pretty good scent, I find the base construction similar to its father (L'Homme), and don't feel that it adds much to the lineup. I wouldn't blind buy.

For this scenario:

I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Can't make any decision to sway you but if you decide to purchase it make sure you have the ability to return it if you aren't completely satisfied.

+1 NO lol

Welcome

And another no, I wouldnt do it.
    Smellin good

Apologies for not replying sooner everyone, I thought I had my settings on auto subscribe :/ guess it didn't save.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Well I guess that's the game we all play with the fragrance industry. I have countless bottles of letdowns that I'm stuck with just like many of you out there I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by WAKASHIZUMA View Post
    I wish I could, I ended up calling that shop I was referring to--it's known as "Galleria" in the San Francisco International Airport--they do in fact carry a 3.4 for $61! Bargain in my opinion but they do not have any testers on site >:|

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka View Post
    For this reason alone I think you should pull the trigger although I have not yet tested Frozen...

08 Eau D' Ete?
    Yes it does look like a nice bottle despite being a flanker, and still appears to have it's own character. YSL.uk online site describes it as something like "fire beneath ice"

this is eau D'Ete:

- - - Updated - - -

Initially, I wanted gingembre but I was actually expecting the ginger note to be much stronger. Recently, my 24 hour fitness switched their shower soap to this citrus/ginger body wash and I thought of layering it with gingembre literally on the spot!

spcmiller I'm almost certain to take you up on this offer. I just ordered some 5ml decants from theperfumedcourt, I'll use one of those up within the week. We will definitely be in touch

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes O_0!!! I have not been able to sample as of yet.....I always like to sample before I purchase!!! I'm a Big Fan of L'Homme and all of the Flankers!!! I have them all except this scent!!!
    Gary
    Hello G.303! thank you for the greeting. I've enjoyed most of the flankers but didn't like them enough to want the entire collection--as least not presently, I'm sure my views today won't be the same this time next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    No!!! YSL actually made something worse then L'Homme Libre. Do yourself a favour and skip it.
    Did you try it? If so was the pepper note the same as Libre? And how much citrus are we talking??

Quote Originally Posted by Baldini View Post

For this scenario:

Thanks for the info Baldini! Being a flanker I'm sure they are all intertwined in some way.

I agree completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    +1 NO lol
    Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Welcome

And another no, I wouldnt do it.
    ^ thanks everyone! If it has no unique character then I'll most likely back off until tested. My only annoyance is that it's pretty much summer and looks like I'll be using my aquatics again.

Whats your take on the 08 Ete?

Don't blind buy. I like the L'Homme line but this one is bad. It feels very forced. The "fresh" top notes and the original la nuit base notes are having a fight until la nuit finally prevails.

L'Homme > La Nuit parfum > Cologne Gingembre > La Nuit > Libre > Frozen

- - - Updated - - -

For summer, why not go for Gingembre?

No!