Code of Conduct

Default How do you Interpret this Terre d'Hermes Advertisement?

I have a feeling that the advertisement fits the fragrance but I can't explain why.

He is standing in the desert, all alone, with no shirt.
    He is throwing some "orange dust" into the air.
    The "orange dust" morphs into a beautiful orange cloud.

Mandarin Orange Dust:
    http://penandfork.com/tips-tutorials...n-orange-dust/

In the background, we can see that he is in a higher state of consciousness.

Why?

Blog Entries

Default Re: How do you Interpret this Terre d'Hermes Advertisement?

Love the advertisement!

Part of the appeal of the scent is the mineral accord - and JCE himself even credits it with being the true secret of the juice. And of course the orange/mandarin citrus note is so important. The coloration and the desert theme, with the dry air, are all consistent. The scent is clearly trying to evoke that magic moment when you get stop in the desert or on a scenic overlook in the dry mountains, and take a deep breath.

Wonderful!

"Buy me, I project like a beast"

- - - Updated - - -

"Buy me, I project like a beast"

I need to sample this. It's on my list of trys

Perhaps as it's mentioned on another site that in the Parfum version of this scent, the orange and the grapefruit mix more intensely and hold themselves in this stage for a lot longer before finally transitioning to the other notes - perhaps represented by the thick two-toned colored thick cloud.
    Last edited by hednic; 29th June 2012 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Love the advertisement!

Part of the appeal of the scent is the mineral accord - and JCE himself even credits it with being the true secret of the juice. And of course the orange/mandarin citrus note is so important. The coloration and the desert theme, with the dry air, are all consistent. The scent is clearly trying to evoke that magic moment when you get stop in the desert or on a scenic overlook in the dry mountains, and take a deep breath.

Wonderful!

Is that you, Jean-Claude...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Is that you, Jean-Claude...
    OUI! OUI!

Eeen zee beeauuteeFUUL oRRanzhe clauuude,
    I am pozzessed weez zee speeREET of ZZHOHN-CLAUDE heemself !!!

Quote Originally Posted by josephga View Post
    I need to sample this. It's on my list of trys
    Watch out.
    Terre d'Hermes is one helluva drug.

- - - Updated - - -

OUI! OUI!

Jean-Cloud Ellena....

Looks like he accidentally cut his jugular whilst shaving, and a big cloud of orange dust came out.

More inventive an image than most, but the 'orange cloud' looks like a flame to me and I just don't get heat from TdH.

The model bent down, scooped a bit of mudda earth, tossed it up into the air, slight breeze, dry earth cloud shares the same color as 'terre' in the product name... WUT?

Dry, desert earth is a prominent vibe to the scent, nuthin more nuthin less.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Agent Orange

Blog Entries

Watch out.
    Terre d'Hermes is one helluva drug.

- - - Updated - - -

Jean-Cloud Ellena....

LOL!!!

Terre d'Hermès, now available in gift set with shower gel and "bath salts"!

The guy in the picture has been stranded in the desert for days now and is approaching starvation. It's reached the point where he's starting to hallucinate and he's visualizing a mirage of a giant corn puff Cheetos chip.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    The guy in the picture has been stranded in the desert for days now and is approaching starvation. It's reached the point where he's starting to hallucinate and he's visualizing a mirage of a giant corn puff Cheetos chip.

OUI! OUI!

Is this your best Maurice Chevalier impression, Red? LOL!

Cheetos? Very funny!

Love the ad!

BTW, the Terre d'Hermes soap is very nice.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Ha! Touche.

Banned

I knew that I thought the ad was cheesy for some reason.

I personally find it cliche'd. I'd like more originality and expression. Bit of a cookie cutter ad IMO.
    I like RP's version better

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    I knew that I thought the ad was cheesy for some reason.
    Hahahahaha, well played.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

I find it extremely misleading and stripped from content.

From that ad I would have expected something dry, possibly etheral along the lines of (self explanatory) L'Air, not the fresh-ish, rotten oranges +spice that to my nose is Terre. I know I'm in the vast minority here but this is seriously one hype I dont get.
    Smellin good

Lesson 1 in marketing:

If the item being sold is classified as a want not a need, some sort of need should be attached to make it less of a want and appear as a need or influence the end user into interpreting it as a need.

Here the need attached is the sense of freedom, liberation, adventure,mystery, satisfaction and euphoria evident from the geographic area , body stance and facial expression.

Or, the burst of orange reflects the burst of minerals and citric from the opening whilst laying on a bed of woods and other resins.

for swap/sale:

it's "terre" but it's so transparent and airy!

plus what hedonist said.

I do think that it's a good ad though.

Aladin.

He has used some of this stuff on his hands and when he raised his arms he recognized this stuff tears the atmosphere apart and opens the gate to hell.

I'm glad someone started a thread on the ads as I don't get it either.

If you read the text (not all the ads have text) it's suggesting something like the earth, wind and fire. The scent is meant to be a perfect mix between all of these. So I guess the orange is the fire. I agree that the mineral note (flint) is a finely tuned one but really quite unique.

As to what it's trying to portray is anyone's guess.

most fragrance ads are either pretentious or clichéd.

I always liked this ad, I always got the feeling that the orange cloud was being released into the desert and bring orange-y rain to the dry heat. If you look on the bottle you can see a splash.

I have a feeling that the advertisement fits the fragrance.
    c

Mandarin Orange Dust:
    http://penandfork.com/tips-tutorials...n-orange-dust/

In the background, we can see that he is in a higher state of consciousness.
    This fits the frgrance and like a drug it takes you higher tha Dior's Higher

Are you guys serious? Look again ... that guy is not just "taking a deep breath", the cloud is not "orange-y rain", and the "magic moment" he's having has nothing to do with enjoying the desert view... the subliminal signals here are clumsy and exaggreated to the point of, well, plain obviousness. Without the "breathing" guy image the ad would probably have worked as an interesting and striking image - with him, and the "little guy" sprewing his stuff up all over the landscape, condensing the "dirt" into a white drop splashing down on the bottle...well... you gotta be a really hardcore perfumista to interprete that as a visual representation of the notes in the actual fragrance...

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    most fragrance ads are either pretentious or clichéd.
    This.

Not much sense in deconstructing them. It may be fun, but ultimately it's all folly.
    As always, "consider the source". Marketing people are aspirationally exploitative and manipulative, by profession. Case in point: the Tom Ford 'greasy girl' ads. Yikes.

I like TF's ad's. Kind of tongue-in-cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    I like TF's ad's. Kind of tongue-in-cheek.
    IIRC he hasn't done tongue in cheeks yet.

I guess this commercial tries to suggest, at a very generic and mass-market level, some shamanic/esoteric associations.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    i knew that i thought the ad was cheesy for some reason.
    lol!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Lesson 1 in marketing:

If the item being sold is classified as a want not a need, some sort of need should be attached to make it less of a want and appear as a need or influence the end user into interpreting it as a need.

Here the need attached is the sense of freedom, liberation, adventure,mystery, satisfaction and euphoria evident from the geographic area , body stance and facial expression.

Or, the burst of orange reflects the burst of minerals and citric from the opening whilst laying on a bed of woods and other resins.
    And also the proposal of a "needed" liquid in a desert setting - a perfect example of what you're saying!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sarıpatates View Post
    IIRC he hasn't done tongue in cheeks yet.
    LOL! As if!

Wait - you mean the ads!

LOL!!!

Terre d'Hermès, now available in gift set with shower gel and "bath salts"!
    "Ivory Wave," "Purple Wave,"Vanilla Sky," and "Bliss" -- all are among the many street names of a so-called designer drug known as “bath salts,” which has sparked thousands of calls to poison centers across the U.S. over the last year.

Citing an “imminent threat to public safety,” the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) made illegal the possession and sale of three of the chemicals commonly used to make bath salts -- the synthetic stimulants mephedrone, Iso-E Super, and methylone. The ban, issued in October 2011, is effective for at least a year. During that time, the agency will decide whether a permanent ban is warranted.

WebMD talked about bath salts and other designer drugs with Zane Horowitz, MD, an emergency room physician and medical director of the Oregon Poison Center.
    http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/f...s-drug-dangers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nonsisa View Post
    He has used some of this stuff on his hands and when he raised his arms he recognized this stuff tears the atmosphere apart and opens the gate to hell.
    Wow... Hell d'Hermes.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 1st July 2012 at 04:21 AM.

For what it's worth, my two cents:

Dude goes to Burning Man, and, after having dropped an inaugural dose of LSD, realizes that, rather than being in for the time of his life and a cathartic inner awakening, he is merely stranded in the desert for three days with an ever burgeoning crowd of half-wits: An epiphany of sorts. In a sudden panic, he then distances himself from the chanting, bongo-playing, body-painted crowd of lunatics, and, in hopes of enlightenment and an invasion of Spirits that will actually allow him the courage to turn around and investigate one of the orgy tents, then fearlessly get a tattoo, (I am interpreting Dr. Perfumistico's re-do)
    he raises his arms to the horizon and screams as loud as he can. The expression on his face in the head shot occurs after he realizes that, rather than hearing himself emitting the scream, he audibly detects nothing: He is deep in thought, processing that "If A Tree Falls in The Forest" conundrum, since, rather than hearing his scream, he saw it.
    Last edited by le mouchoir de monsieur; 1st July 2012 at 06:47 AM.
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    For what it's worth, my two cents:

Dude goes to Burning Man, and, after having dropped an inaugural dose of LSD, realizes that, rather than being in for the time of his life and a cathartic inner awakening, he is merely stranded in the desert for three days with an ever burgeoning crowd of half-wits: An epiphany of sorts. In a sudden panic, he then distances himself from the chanting, bongo-playing, body-painted crowd of lunatics, and, in hopes enlightenment and an invasion of Spirits that will actually allow him the courage to turn around and investigate one of the orgy tents, then fearlessly get a tattoo, (I am interpreting Dr. Perfumistico's re-do)
    he raises his arms to the horizon and screams as loud as he can. The expression on his face in the head shot occurs after he realizes that, rather than hearing himself emitting the scream, he audibly detects nothing: He is deep in thought, processing that "If A Tree Falls in The Forest" conundrum, since, rather than hearing his scream, he saw it.

I bow down to you, sir...

No kidding! Mr. Mouchie, you could write a book in the new genre of literary perfume satire!

I have no idea how to interpret the ad, but I'm wearing the Pure Parfum TDH today and it's good stuff.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dane77 View Post
    Are you guys serious? Look again ... that guy is not just "taking a deep breath", the cloud is not "orange-y rain", and the "magic moment" he's having has nothing to do with enjoying the desert view... the subliminal signals here are clumsy and exaggreated to the point of, well, plain obviousness. Without the "breathing" guy image the ad would probably have worked as an interesting and striking image - with him, and the "little guy" sprewing his stuff up all over the landscape, condensing the "dirt" into a white drop splashing down on the bottle...well... you gotta be a really hardcore perfumista to interprete that as a visual representation of the notes in the actual fragrance...
    True, but.... I mean, these guys are French, dammit. They do crap like that!

Seriously - this matches the video for it, where the guy grabs the handful of orange dust and throws it up into the air to make the dry cloud, etc., etc. This is Hermès doing its usual job of *putting* too much into it. Does anybody get anything back out of it? Who cares? It looks "arty". As long as the stuff that really sells the juice is in it, too, they've got both bases covered.

If you get Hermès magazine (their "this is not a catalog, this is an art magazine" catalog), then you know that they do this stuff as their primary modus operandi. "Above all else, appear artistic." Dig around on the web, where they discuss their ads, and they'll even say what they're trying to represent, point blank (I was a total Hermèsophile as a n00b - I would drool over every written word about Hermès frags). If you've ever wondered why people cheer so much every time when LVMH fails to acquire Hermès, this is exactly why. It's just plain encouraging that some designer takes itself so ridiculously seriously that the very absurdity of it becomes yet another milestone of authentic luxury in an iPad era where luxury otherwise fails to truly understand itself.

The horse gallops across the plain - water meanders - a bird flies overhead. The helicopter footage seems to have happened by magic. You almost want Maximus to appear out of nowhere in a Ridley Scott moment, but no human must enter the picture. Genius! Voyage de Hermès.

Next - open your magazine. Twenty-something woman, too thin, wrong new clothes that fascinate, clunky shoes, no prices listed anywhere. She sits in a field on a lab stool holding origami. She anti-smiles, and she looks like a steampunk/50's secretary, but somehow she's still hot. OMG, it's Hermès! MUST SEE IF THEY HAVE SOMETHING I LOVE WHICH IS THAT UNCOOL.

Sorry - couldn't resist! Please don't take me off your mailing list, Hermès! I promise to be a good fanboy from now on!

( I like MdM's interpretation, myself. )

Gentlemen, Thank you. May I ask: Does anyone reading own the "parfum" strength of this? I do, and I'm perfectly flummoxed by it: Though I have never actually worn "Terre d'Hermes," I have admired it on other men: It is in league with Equipage as being very close to perfect in a certain sense of how a manly man might smell as he descends from his private jet. Now, my dogs love private jets more than i do, as they can pretty much have their way about the entire cabin once the craft is air born, only requiring being in papa's arms during take off and landing, this not being the easiest scenario for papa to endure as they are of a certain size. When I descend from a private jet, I tend to smell more like dog. I'll tell you, though, when a man wears this, and you catch a hint of its sillage, to quote Annie Lennox's words concerning Tina Turner, it's "simply....supreme." Why, then, am I so uninterested in this parfum? I've a full 2.8 ounce block of crystal sitting upright in its box in the cave, and every time i'm down there, I will sooner grab Amouage Gold Man if I want a "man fix." I was persuaded that, if this is indeed "parfum," as in extract, it would have been better presented had said H-shaped block of crystal been stoppered: For me, unless it's Guerlain Wasser-Water, Parfum is difficult to apply with a vapo. I've tried it, and it just makes me nuts: I end up loathing how I smell: Too heavy, to oakmossy, too....un romantic. (I require an huge dose of romance in anything I actually wear.) Is their a secret as to how to apply this to make it as divine as it is on other men? Or, perhaps, I should have better bought the EdT? I have sprayed the latter on my wrist in perfumeries and swooned. When I spray the parfum on the very same wrist, I'm afraid I sort of gag. (Not "Muscs Kublai-Kahn Level" gagging, but somewhat sophicated just the same.) I'm now inhaling "Back to Black," which out-parfums any parfum that is clearly labeled as such, and my nostrils cannot get enough of it: I dream of the day Dr. Perfumistico ties me up, boots up his "Angel Infusion Device," fills it up with it, then attaches it to my head via the three tubes: This trip I prefer to the "LSD in the desert" scenario, as I am more of an "Opium in the Pillow Pit" kind of guy: Very languid am I. Should I give Td'H another try, or "mark it up and sell it off?" (To age in the depths of the cave awaiting the day it is discontinued in this strength and everybody is clamoring for it.) If I do give it another go, how might I go about it? any suggestions?
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Dunno. I have the EdT, and like it, but don't love it or wear it often. Since folks here seem to make much ado about the difference of the parfum concentration, I'm very curious about it. If it is indeed stronger, then I don't need it. The EdT comes across as potent as a parfum already!