Code of Conduct

Default Happy I blind bought instead of sampled!

The other day I got in my blind buy of Versace The Dreamer.... I quickly tore into my new purchase and sprayed some on a paper napkin and the initial blast of this stuff almost knocked me out. Still new to the fragrance world I would have a really hard time explaining what I thought I smelled but it was very strong and more than made my nose curl. Well having just got it I was more than willing to give it some time on my skin so I sprayed some on me and settled in for a night of TV. I could tell after about 30 sec or so that the scent started to change and it was fast changing for the better. As the evening went on I started to really enjoy the dry down phase. I have tried this frag out during the day at work as well and once again the initial blast seems very unpleasant but after about 30 seconds the scent changes into something very delightful.

Well long story short, if I had tested this in some store I would have passed it up and kindly asked the sales person to not recommend me anything that smelled anything like "The Dreamer". Having had this experience got me to thinking...... Has any other BNers had this same experience where they were happy they blind bought a frag instead of sampling it, knowing full well that had they just sampled they would not have purchased a wonderful scent?

Default Re: Happy I blind bought instead of sampled!

Always enjoy blind buying and do it often with no regrets.

In my opinion a true worth of a fragrance is in the drydown. I'd compare the drydown to the ending of a movie. Yeah any movie can have a great trailer (opening), but few have a great ending.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy01 View Post
    Well long story short, if I had tested this in some store I would have passed it up and kindly asked the sales person to not recommend me anything that smelled anything like "The Dreamer". Having had this experience got me to thinking...... Has any other BNers had this same experience where they were happy they blind bought a frag instead of sampling it, knowing full well that had they just sampled they would not have purchased a wonderful scent?
    Well, this is not how I test fragrances. If I am testing something, I spray it on the back of my wrist and then wear it for at least a few hours, usually more, to experience the full evolution of the scent. In fact I often ignore opening top notes, not even making an effort to smell the scent for the first 5 or 10 minutes. The top notes are often gone quickly, and I find they are often misleading about the rest of the development and just fatigue my nose.

I also try to test multiple times. The first time testing a fragrance is often what I refer to as "priming the nose," getting an idea of what the fragrance is all about. Then when I test it again, I notice more subtleties. It's like rereading a book. The first time through, you necessarily focus more on plot, and often overlook things that stand out in subsequent readings.

The idea of a test is to get a clear and full impression of the fragrance. Otherwise why bother?

I DO blind buy on occasion, but I don't think there is any ADVANTAGE to doing so, unless you really enjoy the gamble (which is legit, IMO, if you do).
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

I'm not a fan of the Dreamer... it gives me a headache....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I had the exact same experience with The Dreamer...blind buy and I love it.

Basenotes Junkie

I had never tried CDG Palisander before I traded for it, but I knew I would love it so I saw the chance and went for it. I love the stuff. If I would have gotten a sample first then I would have hated to wait until I got a full bottle I love it that much.

Basenotes Junkie

the top notes are reckless.

Basenotes Institution

It is naughty to buy blind but feels so goood.
    I still do it against my better judgment and I have a 99 % success rate. Not bad considering it could be a lot worse !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I see what youre saying, but instead of blind buying, you should buy little 2ml spray samples. That way you can test the whole fragrance, get a feel for it, and if you happen not to like it when its all out, you dont have to feel bad about all the money you wouldve spent on a full bottle.

The Dreamer is so nice, ENJOY!
    " In a world of 1s and 0s...are you a zero, or The One? "

I'm with SmellsLIke on this, I do not test in the passing, merely getting a whiff from the cap.

If I am interested in a fragrance I spray on paper and my skin and observe the development on both.

This will be repeated before any purchase.

I dont know how many hours I have spent testing perfumes, lurking in shops, especially high end ones. I do understand you and at the beginning of my obsession I was certainly more open for blind buying temptations but after the first couple of dissappointments plus the frags of interest getting more and more expensive as one vendors towards niche I increased the effort of fully getting to know what I'm dealing with.

But koudos to you for finding such a gem anyways
    Smellin good