• kouros

14 26.42%
  • rive gauche

15 28.30%
  • live jazz

4 7.55%
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default NoirDrakkar's Haul #2 (YSL Edition): Kouros, M7, Live Jazz and Rive Gauche (be sure to comment)

Okay, I've gotten too comfortable with the colognes that I've already sampled, so I decided to expand on some new ground and try samples. Shout out to checkitoutone.com ran by the BN member Boomer. I was skeptical at first, but it's completely legit, with great low prices. Highly recommended. Now onto the reviews. I've tested these for the first time. It's been a couple hours, so I'm starting this review with a clean slate.

This time I'm doing 4 Yves Saint Laurent scents.

Kouros
    This is the one that intrigued me the most. It was one of the most reviewed scents. My first impression, literally, was Oh #*@! this is STRONG!!!. Less is more with this one. A lot of people said they loved it and those who didn't compared it to: urine, urinal cakes, feces and a public restroom. Are these criticisms true? To me, it's both yes and no, depending on what notes you detect. Overall, as YSL intended, this a very floral scent but with an ashy smell in the background. It's a strong masculine scent but reminds me of a volcanic island. At other times when I smell it, I do smell something that reminds me of public restrooms or cheap air fresheners. It is either or depending on which notes you detect at the time you smell it, but its not so bad on my skin. It's great when you don't detect the "urine note", but a little offputting when you do. This is certainly not your clean scent. It's a little dirty. But I respect this one purely as a work of art. I doubt I would want to buy this one, and I doubt I would want to wear it, but there is something about this I really liked. This one exceeded my expectations.
    Tentative Rating: 7
    Tentative Verdict: Definitely not for everybody. Try it if you want something unique, but don't blind buy.

Rive Gauche
    Definitely reminds me of Drakkar Noir with the patchouli and lavendar note, but I think Rive Gauche did what DN tried to do but a lot better. It's a bit floral and a little fresh and soapy, but it doesn't have the blaring citrus that DN had, but it does have the sort of masculine appeal to it, even if it is floral. This is not an exceptional scent by any means. This certainly has the easier wearability that Kourous did not have, but it certainly doesn't have the same mysterious appeal. It's not daring or boldly unique, but it gets the job done. I don't think I will buy this one. But I do like it!
    Tentative Rating: 6
    Tentative Verdict: If you want Drakkar Noir but without the strong lemon note, try this.

M7
    This one has gotten various reactions from being in peoples top tens to being absolutely hated by some. To me, my initial reaction is sweet fruits/cherries, but it soon dries into something a little more masculine and very powerful and more musky. It's very unique. I doubt I'll buy this one, but trying it was a very interesting experience. As a work of art. This isn't a good everyday scent to try, but it's good for a collector to have for some occasions. If you like this a lot, then you are in luck because it is very unique. To me, I feel it's a little overhyped, but maybe it just takes time to grow on you. This feels like a distant cousin of Fahrenheit. This is what Joop wants to be when it grows up.
    Tentative Rating: 7 (maybe higher - i need more time on this one)
    Tentative Verdict: I think this one is hit-or-miss, but definitely try it!

Live Jazz
    As soon as I dabbed this on, this one put a smile on my face. While the other 3 I tested were more darker and sweeter, this one is a fresh scent. It reminds me of a bright optimistic shiny sunny day. This is a fragrance of mirth, cheerfulness and high spirits. I smell the grapefruit and lemon definitely. The citrus is powerful, but it has a sweet floral background. I think this one is great for the summer. This is YSL's take on many of the cliche fresh frags out there that aren't really that special. I don't think it towers above all of the fresh frags, but it's really great for its price range.
    Tentative Rating: 8
    Tentative Verdict: If you want a good fresh summer scent, test this. Safe blind buy.

In my eyes, Live Jazz is the best of the 4.

However, the most interesting and sophisticated one was M7, which I'll be keeping a close eye on.

Agree with me? Disagree with me? Comment.

Also, which of the 4 is your favorite? Which is your least favorite?

---

EDIT (4/2/13):

Since then, I decided Kouros wasn't for me. It was very creative, but not wearable and even a bit offensive to me. Rive Gauche was one I liked, but the anise note in it turns me off. Live Jazz is very good, but I found better summer scents. M7 is my favorite of the bunch.
    Last edited by noirdrakkar; 2nd April 2013 at 04:19 PM.

Default Re: NoirDrakkar's Haul #2 (YSL Edition): Kouros, M7, Live Jazz and Rive Gauche (be sure to comment)

Out of this list I like Rive Gauche and Live Jazz the best.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: NoirDrakkar's Haul #2 (YSL Edition): Kouros, M7, Live Jazz and Rive Gauche (be sure to comment)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Out of this list I like Rive Gauche and Live Jazz the best.
    Yeah, the safest of the two. Kourous and M7 are the more challenging hate-it-or-love it of the two.

For me M7 is bar far the best of the choices. I find it very easy to wear at just about any time.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

!

Have all four in my collection and love them all.

YSL M7 then Kouros
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I have never tried Live Jazz but I do own Rive Gauche. From having sampled Kouros which I did not like at all and M7 was ok just not my taste I would go with Rive Gauche.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

I voted Kouros of the 4 you listed,with a caveat: I have never smelled Rive Gauche(for shame) That said, I really enjoy Kouros from opening to drydown. It never bores, and kaleidoscopes from note to note in a very surprising, and unconventional fashion.

I'll admit - if Kouros wasn't by a decent margin the best, it would be a nail-biter. These fragrances are all excellent.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

The thick fake cilantro note in Live Jazz turns my stomach. The other are excellent.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Banned
    Blog Entries

Korous seems to be a real hit and miss.

I'm sure if no one said anything, I wouldn't have thought of a urinal cake, but a beautiful scent. But now that someone told me, I can't stop thinking about it.

I enjoy wearing special k so it's no1. M7 is next best only because I find it much harder to wear often.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post

Also, which of the 4 is your favorite? Which is your least favorite?
    I like Kouros-M7-Rive Gauche PH, never tried Live jazz.
    smells are surer than sights or sounds to make your heartstrings crack.

-Vladimir Nabokov

Kouros is my favorite, although I have to be in the right bad-ass frame of mind to wear it. Rive Gauche is easy to wear anytime. I enjoy having M7, but find I don't wear it that much. I'm not a fan of Live Jazz and agree with hepherd about that cilantro note being too much. There's also rhubarb in it, which is not a great smell for me.

My fave is Rive Gauche- a clean, soapy neo-powerhouse, followed by a close second place shared by M7- a contemporary, strong, yet not obnoxious male gourmand and Live Jazz- a smooth herbal minty scent.

My least favorite would be Kouros, something about this scent always drew me away, I could never fully get to grasp and even more, appreciate and value this one.

Banned

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent (tin/aluminum can) is a wonderfully original and unique scent.

Nice abstracts, by the way.

Blog Entries

I like M7, Rive Gauche, Live Jazz in that order.

Favourite Rive Gauche
    Least Favourite Live Jazz

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm liking Rive Gauche. It's gives that nostalgic barber shop scent. It's masculine but at the same time subtle and a little sweet.

M7 is one of my very top favorites. I've already gone through over 4oz of vintage juice and have started rationing my remaining stock.

Kouros is another favorite, but my Kouros moods come and go. I go through periods where I can't get enough of it and wear it very frequently, and then end up taking a break from it for a while.

Rive Gauche trails far behind in third place. I like it, but I rarely have strong desire to smell it -- when I wear it, it is more because I want to smell LIKE it, not because I personally want to smell it, if that makes any sense. When I am in the mood for something similar, I am more likely to reach for Azzaro PH.

I have not smelled Live Jazz.
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yeah, too bad M7 is in such short supply.

I like it, but I wouldn't pay the current price it's going for, due to the discontinuation.

The invisible hand at work, I guess.

Hail to the king, baby.

I rank them thus:

Kouros - Absolutely love. Took a few wearings for sure.
    M7 (I have only smelled the original formulation) - Love, but admit it is challenging.
    Rive Gauche - Like a lot. Safe, clean fragrance.
    Live Jazz - I have only smelled this once, and liked it, but it seemed the most normal and "cologne-y" of the bunch, so I haven't sought it since.