Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o

Default Re: Cheap Frag Buying Remorse.

HA, I blind bought Dirty E and Set Sail this weekend as well. Have the same issue, cheaper frags just don't seem to do it for me. I always seem to get a headache from that syntheticy smell and they get boring after a bit. Set Sail seems ok, I do like the scent, but the dry down just smells like chemicals, the DE is just bad on the dry down smells weird on me not good. Had the itch to get some new frags so I guess that is what I get for it. Need to save up and stick to the Creeds for a while I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    Even though I have given away about 15 bottles in the last six months, I can't really say I regret buying many bargain scents. My "hits" greatly outnumber my "misses" in the cheapie world, and even the ones I didn't care for ultimately served a good purpose. Wearing and sniffing them was actually pretty educational, and I learned quite a bit about what I like and dislike in fragrances by working through them.

And because I gave a good chunk of them away to people who really enjoy and get heavy use from them, I don't feel like I my purchases were a total waste. I bought them, sniffed them, learned from them, and used them as surprise gifts for friends and family members. Can't really regret going through that cycle.
    Very informative and very well written. Thank you

Banned

I would rather pay 200 for a bottle I really love than 20 for a bottle I like. The frag that I have the most regrets over buying is also the least expensive bottle in my collection. "The Dreamer" has a great drydown and I bought it because it was inexpensive but now I almost never wear it because I hate the top. After you consider the number of wears and the hours of enjoyment I find even high priced scents to be a really good value.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    I would rather pay 200 for a bottle I really love than 20 for a bottle I like.
    I agree completely.

That's not to say that expensive means you will like it. But to the OPs comment about Kenneth Cole Black -- That is one of the greatest fragrances in the world IMO, and I would keep that over many other bottles in my collection that I paid more than $200 for.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Set sail saint barts is a keeper. Viw is like its sissy rich cousin.

Thats the only one I kept! ha. Look forward to wearing it next week in HH.

Basenotes Junkie

I wouldn't buy a fragrance just because it's cheap, but there are plenty of great designer frags that are very satisfying and won't break the bank. Personally, I would be bored as hell if all I had was just 2 or 3 niche frags. I love variety and you can get quite a few designer frags for the cost of a single bottle of Creed, especially if you hunt for discounts and buy smaller bottles. I've tried quite a few niche frags, and while there are some I love, I don't see the quality difference as being so drastic. Sure, Cool Water smells like a synthetic mess compared to GIT, but when you compare frags from houses like Dior or YSL to the niche stuff, I don't really see a huge difference.

Better to regret a cheapie than regret a pricey....

A recent survey of my collection revealed that I have not kept a single bottle that I have bought from TJ Maxx, Marshall's or Ross. I have sold or swapped all of them. That's sad because I have blown a lot of cash there. None have been keepers for me. I have lived cheap frag remorse, and I hope I have learned my lesson.
    Currently wearing: Sutton Place by Bond No. 9

I've had a little remorse from when I started, just buying what I heard was good and not what I tested and knew was good. I'm sure I wasted a bunch of money through that even after selling them off...since then I've had very little remorse, but I definitely know the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Sorry for the long rant, but I know exactly where you're coming from, and thought my experience could be of some use to you.
    That was a great summation of your experiences and insights into the subject. It was greatly appreciated.

I bought Jovan Musk and wasn't too impressed with it but then again it was only 9 dollars so I can't complain...it doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't smell good enough to be worth wearing