Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Most 'light' fragrances smell urinous to me...

Isseys, Pradas, green tea type scents, and legere editions take on a thin, disturbingly subliminal character when I apply them. I wear strong orientals and chypres much better, but even in the bottle or tested on paper I find "quiet" scents nauseating like seasickness or lightheadedness just as some find loud scents headache-inducing.

Anyone else have this experience? Know what might cause it or why?

Are there any lighter scents that might not be as thin and subtly nauseating to one so afflicted with a strange aversion to the overly delicate?
    Last edited by anomie et ivoire; 30th June 2012 at 01:35 PM.

Default Re: Most 'light' fragrances smell urinous to me...

Luckily don't have those types of experiences with any fragrance.

Citrus scents irritate my nostrils. Similarly, you may be hypersensitive to some of the common ingredients in these light fragrances? And these don't have to be ingredients that you can actually smell.

As Ariodant was saying, you could be hypersensitive to some material. Hard to say which one, the true components are seldom listed. For instance, many of the Miyake contain hefty doses of marine notes like calone, which I find swampy. (But I do not detect the note in most Pradas, so that is not it.)

I am also not sure about lightness either. Many of the Miyake, like Eau d'Issey, are extremely strong, very powerful and tenacious. Same for many Pradas. By chance I sprayed some infusion d'oranger yesterday, it stayed forever on me, with its annoying musk radiating above anything else.

As for other light stuff, have you tried stuff by Ellena, the master of lightness? Stuff like the Hermessences, or the Hermes Jardin series?

cacio

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ellena seems to be the biggest culprit, actually. It might be that tea note he isolated, which I know is also in Tommy Girl, and that stuff reads as pure pee to me.

Calones are also repellant to me.

And agreed, while the Miyakes and Pradas are often strong wearing, to my nose they use gentler topnotes and convey a certain softness or restraint when compared with something like orientals. It might just be my inexperience speaking, though, and maybe I'll eventually come around to them. So far in the realm of scents, it seems like subtlety and I do not get along at all. The one exception is lighter and cleaner musk smells.

I think you have problems with some specific notes. There are nauseating light scents such as Lacoste Essential, but they usually don't cause me this effect.