Code of Conduct

Default Know Any Allergy Fakers?

A friend always complains of migraines around frags, but he's the uber-hypochondriac type who can't hear about anything from fibromyalgia to breast cancer without displaying all the symptoms (if only in his head).

Well, anway, I had long contended that he's a faker, through and through. (That is, he only complains IF he knows I've just put on a frag, or IF he sees a scented candle burning, or IF he sees a plug-in deodorizer etc. If he doesn't see the supposed allergen in action, he's fine and dandy.) Well, it turns out I had him pegged, and pegged good at that.

He and I were working together in a house last week.(He was doing architectural research while I was cataloging some things.) Well, I popped in two plug-in deodorizers (Yankee Candle Ginger & Lime, I think -- VERY strong), poured half a bottle of Shalimar on the rug (it was old), and burned a Nouvelle Champa Patchouli candle -- all before he came. That house, I kid you not, smelled like the proverbial French whore. Well, guess what? He walked in, did his work and (just as I'd predicted), was none the worse for wear. Me? I was about to wretch from the sheer stench of the place. (And these are all favorite frags for me, btw.)

Any of you know any allergy fakers?

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Know Any Allergy Fakers?

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    A friend always complains of migraines around frags, but he's the uber-hypochondriac type who can't hear about anything from fibromyalgia to breast cancer without displaying all the symptoms (if only in his head).

Well, anway, I had long contended that he's a faker, through and through. (That is, he only complains IF he knows I've just put on a frag, or IF he sees a scented candle burning, or IF he sees a plug-in deodorizer etc. If he doesn't see the supposed allergen in action, he's fine and dandy.) Well, it turns out I had him pegged, and pegged good at that.

He and I were working together in a house last week.(He was doing architectural research while I was cataloging some things.) Well, I popped in two plug-in deodorizers (Yankee Candle Ginger & Lime, I think -- VERY strong), poured half a bottle of Shalimar on the rug (it was old), and burned a Nouvelle Champa Patchouli candle -- all before he came. That house, I kid you not, smelled like the proverbial French whore. Well, guess what? He walked in, did his work and (just as I'd predicted), was none the worse for wear. Me? I was about to wretch from the sheer stench of the place. (And these are all favorite frags for me, btw.)

Any of you know any allergy fakers?
    Yes.

And I have always referred to them as Closet Control Freaks. Always trying to control by complaint.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Yes.
    And I have always referred to them as Closet Control Freaks. Always trying to control by complaint.
    Hey, we know the same people!

There are two distinct types, actually -- the first is the unusually uptight CCF you mention; the second is the Woody Allen-esque neurotic nebbish who's usually scared of everything.

The rare, true fragrance allergic folks are, in my experience, few and far between and generally pretty nice about the whole megillah.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 7th October 2007 at 02:29 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Blog Entries

My brother's ex-girlfriend always said she had bad reactions to fragrances. She would ALWAYS complain that I always smelled too strongly. One time she was over @ my place with my brother. They were just about to leave, & I was headed to karaoke. I spritzed on a little Gaultier2 in my bedroom, & when I walked into the living room she made this huge dramatic scene of running out onto the balcony gasping for air.

Another time, my brother was cat-sitting for me while I was on a trip. My bro brought the ex along once to feed the cats. I have one of those Febreeze dual-scent plug in thingies by my entryway. It's pretty potent! My bro said that when she smelled that, she actually thought that somehow what she was smelling was my cologne collection!!! Riiiiight. Apparently she opened up my balcony door to "air out" my apartment. Yes, airing out my apartment, because of an AIR DEODORIZER. She's nuts.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Sounds like a major drama queen, CJ.

It doesn't bother when others really DO have a fragrance allergy. My friend Sara lives up in northern California, and my frags (esp. Blue Jeans by Versace) can and do trigger her allergies. Fine -- I have no problem with that. Whenever I take her out for dinner, I simply go fragrance-free (and yes, that's hard for me to do). I know what a migraine reaction I can have to A*men and Versailles, so I try to be respectful.

The ones who annoy me ad nauseam are the fuckers who a) feel the need to make a big production out of it all, thus milking major attention and b) don't seem bothered at all when a frag is around (no matter how heavy its presence) and they've not been made aware of it.

I mean, c'mon -- if you're gonna fake it, at least be civil about it and KNOW if there's really a strong fragrance in the air without having seen it or heard about it first. If you're having a true allergic reaction, your nose and/or the rest of your body will tell you first.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

It really depends on what you're wearing, people, some of the newer cheap synthetics and sunscreens they are using cause symptoms that range from headeaches to allergic reactions like anaphylaxis, which can kill someone. Not sure why the FDA allows it. I have no problem with some lines or *any* of the older more classic scents, naturals don't bother me, either, spritz away. If you look at the reviews over on MUA, you will see a lot of people complaining about headaches, maybe you should go over there and tell them they're all fakers, too. MUAHAHAHA

In general, I try to be considerate of other people and don't need to attract attention to myself with heavy sillage, because I have such a glowing personality.
    Last edited by beachroses; 16th October 2007 at 06:03 PM.

Of course it's good to remember that one does not have to be allergic to fragrances in order to not like them. My mother, for example, is very sensitive to all kinds of synthetic odors and even though I do not think it is allergy per se, I do not question the authenticity of her feelings towards the matter.

I just have to use Creeds when I am around her. :>
    Last edited by j5r; 19th October 2007 at 01:06 AM.

Maybe you could try some Guerlains and older Chanel frags, too.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    It really depends on what you're wearing, people, some of the newer cheap synthetics and sunscreens they are using cause symptoms that range from headeaches to allergic reactions like anaphylaxis, which can kill someone. Not sure why the FDA allows it. I have no problem with some lines or *any* of the older more classic scents, naturals don't bother me, either, spritz away. If you look at the reviews over on MUA, you will see a lot of people complaining about headaches, maybe you should go over there and tell them they're all fakers, too. MUAHAHAHA

In general, I try to be considerate of other people and don't need to attract attention to myself with heavy sillage, because I have such a glowing personality.
    No, I'm talking about the real fakers -- the ones who never bitch when they don't SEE a perfume bottle, candle, atomizer, alcohol lamp etc.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

CJ's brother's ex sounds like a faker, too - might even be she felt attracted to him and had to make a great show of proving she wasn't.

I'm paranoid about becoming (or being) a faker. Not sure why anyone would want to fake allergies. Personally I try to not reveal or at least downplay my real sensitivities. (e.g. whacky blood sugar that means no you may NOT swipe this chicken breast I'm about to eat.) Why add fake ailments?

And what about people who get babies and then say any visitors aren't allowed to wear makeup or deodorant?

(Disclaimer: scented candles off the shelf give me headaches, as do the plug-in thingies I've experienced. Had a very bad "allergic" reaction to some dreadful aftershave - felt nauseated - and even posted here wondering how to request reduction.)

An associate at work is a big allergy fake come lately. This woman was a 2 pack a day smoker who stopped after 20 years, now she feigns fragrance allergies. Just six months ago she was puffing camels and wore Amarige! I hate her.

"Chemical Sensitivity" and "Allergies" are used far too often in our society to the eventual detriment of those who really do have them.

Ironically she might be able to smell things for the first time in decades and doesn't like it.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

It really depends on what you're wearing, people, some of the newer cheap synthetics and sunscreens they are using cause symptoms that range from headeaches to allergic reactions
    I'm not saying it's wrong, but I don't know why people assume that if it's synthetic or cheap that it's going to be bad for you.
    --------------------------------------
    Maybe you could try some Guerlains and older Chanel frags, too.
    These are the frags that do cause headaches for me. The Guerlinade or whatever it is makes it so I cannot enjoy Heritage, Vetiver, Shalimar, Mitsouko, ect...

Just because it's natural or high-quality doesn't mean people are going to have less of a reaction to it than synthetics..
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 23rd February 2008 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Raaawr, people that fake allergies annoy me. It didn't really affect me until I started wearing fragrances because I liked the fragrance and appreciated it, rather than just spritzing some on just because i'd been bought up like that.

Some people do fake allergies and it's very annoying. My ex gf used to love smelling stuff on me, would compliment me and come closer just to smell certain things. After we broke up, a couple of days later, every day on the bus (which me and like 12 of my friends get, so we take up the whole of the back of the bus), she'd complain and open all the windows. DQ with added attention seeking qualities. One day, I got one of my friends to douse himself in Kenzo pour Homme (which she didn't like) and got him to sit next to her, without any windows open (I wasn't wearing fragrance) she didn't say a thing. Bitch.

A lot of ingredients are fake or chemicals, some of them stink to some people and others are allergic, even deathly allergic. Same with candles, which can be paraffin based made from petroleum. They emit soot and toxic fumes into the air, try soy, which burns much cleaner. Makers of soy candles also avoid wicks that contain lead, another hazardous substance. Makeup is an offender, too, that is why I wear Bare Escentuals natural minerals. Babies can get near me with no problems. They also cannot eliminate chemicals from their bloodstreams like adults can. This is not in my mind or someone else's mind, it is a reality. And who would want to overpower someone in closed quarters just because you like something? Isn't that narcissistic? People with illnesses can also develop sensitivities they didn't have before and overexposure to one chemical or another can cause the same reaction. Maybe they weren't allergic at first, but it can turn into that by smelling it too much.

(Note: I do not stick to 100% natural fragrances, some things bother me more than others, that's all.)
    Last edited by beachroses; 23rd February 2008 at 03:22 PM.

Allergies shmallergies...there's plenty of people out there who reek of cigarette smoke or/and body odor. And what about everyday city odors like car exhaust fumes, factory smog and sewers. None of these odors offend you, but a little of my cologne will kill you?

Right.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

It is common knowledge that air pollution and chemicals can trigger asthma and allergies and if you live in an area with these problems, they have a warning system for people who suffer from them, depending on the day's air quality. But just in case you not informed and are actually interested, fyi.

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/fasthma.asp

HTH!
    Last edited by beachroses; 23rd February 2008 at 11:20 PM.

My mother's friends would bitch up a storm when my mother would wear just plain ol' Calgon body mists or anything for that matter.

BUt this lady woulld religiously shop at Ulta, a mega-beauty store and it stinks of everything in there.

i just dislike the fragrance haters who feel free to comment on it when they're in my house! i'll happily cater to people with allergies, but if you just dislike perfume then... well... don't bitch and moan when you're under my rood!
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

When I was little I would beg my mother for perfumes,and she would buy them, thankfully (I was the girl wearing Chanel #5 in Jr. High). I had to put them on, though, after she left for work b/c she said she would get a migrane. She even THREW OUT a bottle of Joy that a rich aunt sent! Agggh! Now, though, she wears the Victoria Secrets body sprays that my little sister brings home. Yeesh.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Quote Originally Posted by chad278 View Post
    i just dislike the fragrance haters who feel free to comment on it when they're in my house! i'll happily cater to people with allergies, but if you just dislike perfume then... well... don't bitch and moan when you're under my rood!
    ITA, that is so rude! To h*ll with them.

i use to fall asleep if i was near many womens perfumes, but then i was treated for that allergy, i still never complained around anyone.. afterall, its me with the rediculously strange problem, not the rest of the world for wearing perfume
    Last edited by smellyliquid; 1st April 2008 at 05:44 PM.

After reading this I am more thankful for the people I hang around. Only once has someone asked me if I could do something about my fragrance and it was very discreet when they did so.

People with illnesses can also develop sensitivities they didn't have before and overexposure to one chemical or another can cause the same reaction. Maybe they weren't allergic at first, but it can turn into that by smelling it too much.
    My father in the early part of his career as a Chemical Engineer, spent a lot of time sampling emissions from smokestacks in chemical plants. Over the period of a few years developed sensitivities to what he was sampling and had to go to a desk job. Does happen, and its real.

BUT

I think there are far more complaints of it than are real.

Reminds me of a Quaker meeting I attend every so often - there is all kinds of "natural" BO type of smells (sweat, incontinence, unwashed hair, unwashed clothes) but every so often there is an announcement put in by an anonymous member of the meeting to "not wear perfumes and strong deodorants due to chemical sensitivities" - and while I generally go frag free there, it is interesting none the less.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 2nd April 2008 at 01:42 PM.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

I don't know if it's allergies...but I've discoverd I'm very sensitive to and get a bad reaction from a certain element in fragrances. I haven't pinpointed it yet - it's either ylang ylang or ambergris, maybe both. But I can always tell right away if it's in the formula, because almost immediately my throat tightens and my head gets ache-y and heavy with pressure. Sad because I'll really like a scent, but can't wear it because of this reaction. Love In White does this.

I can't stand many incense and scented candles, my stephmother had to test it by burning it before I arrived but I'd always knew it was on because my eyes itch, it's harder to breathe and I sneezed. I find it rather mean that eventhough I knew everytime she still had to test to see if I was faking it.

I found I can burn some scented candles now but never for long and they are 10 times the price of the candles she uses.

I want to try reed diffusers because I love the smell but I'm worried I might start sneezing again I do like the smell of incense but not when its burning because it just goes straight into my lungs it seems.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

My mom had a couple of co-workers who would complain, unless they needed her to help them with their work then they were fine with it. After a while she just stopped wearing fragrance to work and they would still complain. She'd tell them she wasn't wearing fragrance and then the complaints had to stop all together. Some people will just complain about anything.

Morning Star

I believe that there are people who legitimately develop these sensitivities, but that there are many more people who fake them in order to control others and garner sympathy. I spent years living in Berkeley, a city which claims a disabled population of 17%. It's full of people walking around wearing face masks and aluminum hats to keep out the government mind-control rays. I would occasionally run into people who claimed they had chemical sensitivities, and I would candidly tell them, "Don't take this the wrong way, but there's more than a 50% chance you just need a really good therapist."

It seems like there is an epidemic of fragrance "allergies" but most of the time it's not a true allergy...just a sensitivity, a dislike, or, as has been mentioned, a need to complain and garner attention. Sad--because we all smell so delicious..how could anyone not love smelling us? They are SO missing out! ^_^

Red face Re: Know Any Allergy Fakers?

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I believe that there are people who legitimately develop these sensitivities, but that there are many more people who fake them in order to control others and garner sympathy. I spent years living in Berkeley, a city which claims a disabled population of 17%. It's full of people walking around wearing face masks and aluminum hats to keep out the government mind-control rays. I would occasionally run into people who claimed they had chemical sensitivities, and I would candidly tell them, "Don't take this the wrong way, but there's more than a 50% chance you just need a really good therapist."
    Ha ha..I suspect candidly telling people they needed a good therapist was usually NOT received well! Reminds me of the time I took a cooking class and happened to be in a group that included a woman who claimed not just allergy, but ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK if she ate nuts. We made pistachio biscotti and I caught her nibbling on it, and I asked her if she was forgetting her allergy or just had a death wish (I know a little something about anaphylaxis)! She didn't take too kindly to my pointing out that I didn't want to do CPR on her when she went into shock from the pistachios she was nibbling around. And I know I was being a smart ass, but I really found her "allergy" claim irritating! Now that I'm a little older, I'd probably just ignore her, but back then....

I have a couple in my workplace. One of them will send out a mass email to everyone complaining about someone's perfume and her "sensitivity", BUT will come directly to my cubicle after she had sent it and say that it wasn't me because I smell really good..??

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Yes.

That is a great way to put it!

I'm not wearing perfume on Thanksgiving due to someone else's fragrance allergies. It's funny because I used to be very sensitive to perfumes too--I would get headaches from strong scents like Poison and Angel. They would honestly trigger nausea and then migraines. I never made a big deal about it; I'd just remove myself from the situation. Thankfully, for some reason my nose and system have changed and I can smell and tolerate a much greater range of scents and smells. I still don't do well with certain air-fresheners and scented hairsprays, though. I agree there are allergy fakers, but there are sensitive individuals too, and when you have a system that is sensitized to fragrance reactions it can make you fearful of having a reaction, and then possibly overreact to scents in the air. It's not an all or nothing issue, imho.

I'm not happy about not getting to wear my fragrance today, I must admit. But it's just not worth the trouble of having that person uncomfortable, or my feeling like a pariah. Some times of year, some elements in the air sensitize people who are normally tolerant of some fragrances. I'm guessing there's a little exaggeration going on in my situation. I have reason to believe so, but I don't want to be the cause of a "scene." I just don't feel fully dressed without my fragrance.

I'll just come home and spray up a storm.

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    I'm not wearing perfume on Thanksgiving due to someone else's fragrance allergies. It's funny because I used to be very sensitive to perfumes too--I would get headaches from strong scents like Poison and Angel. They would honestly trigger nausea and then migraines. I never made a big deal about it; I'd just remove myself from the situation. Thankfully, for some reason my nose and system have changed and I can smell and tolerate a much greater range of scents and smells. I still don't do well with certain air-fresheners and scented hairsprays, though. I agree there are allergy fakers, but there are sensitive individuals too, and when you have a system that is sensitized to fragrance reactions it can make you fearful of having a reaction, and then possibly overreact to scents in the air. It's not an all or nothing issue, imho.

I'm not happy about not getting to wear my fragrance today, I must admit. But it's just not worth the trouble of having that person uncomfortable, or my feeling like a pariah. Some times of year, some elements in the air sensitize people who are normally tolerant of some fragrances. I'm guessing there's a little exaggeration going on in my situation. I have reason to believe so, but I don't want to be the cause of a "scene." I just don't feel fully dressed without my fragrance.

I'll just come home and spray up a storm.
    My mom used to get terrible allergy and migranes too when I would wear perfume, but like lushsoup, once she started to like perfume and started to wear it, she stopped being allergic to it, why do you guys think that is?

Ha Ha! your friend sounds like my Father-in-law! He always complains about my "perfume-shit" as he calls it, but I don't know how he can smell it over his own *gag* natural odor of cigarette smoke, motor oil and feet. He also complains of allergies whenever he sees an air freshener as well. I know he's faking though because I hid my extremely floral plug in behind the bookshelf and there has been no difference in smell, but he's stopped complaining about smell whenever he comes into our house.
    What a huge faker!