Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Difference between Basenotes and Fragrantica?

Quote Originally Posted by Harmen View Post
    ...I don't think Fragrantica allows the selling or decanting of fragrances..
    I listed a huge number of decants for sale there and was told that I should only list a few. They do allow decant swaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    A day or so ago, a new feature was added to Fragrantica. I am comparing this with the Blogs that members have here on BN. To write eloquently about an experience.

At Fragrantica there is the new section: Individual Member Topics

Thus, each member has one (only) opportunity to launch a private topic (excluding religion or politics). These are non-perfume topics of General Interest, something that was formerly discussed on a "Say Anything" thread. Except the "Say Anything" thread took its twists and turns, and did not give really each member enough exposure of what they were passionate about.

This idea took off right from the start. As each member owns her topic, the atmosphere is congenial, like having a party with well-behaved guests, discussing the started topic.

Like a Blog would be - with the guests making comments. Except a professional Blog would change the topic daily, and then again the comments would follow.

The Individual Member Topic has the original title with which it is launched, and yet, it can develop into all directions from there, and the guests keep gathering there.

The remainder of the different forums still exist and each member makes comments there, additionally, as before.
    Yes, there are now Individual Members Topics on Fragrantica.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 30th July 2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: gossip

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    On FG I prefer that you can make notes on a fragrance page
    The personal notebook is one of the reasons I use Fragrantica as well. Sometimes you just forget why you liked, disliked a fragrance or want to record your first impressions. I also use the votes on seasons as a general guide.

Fragrantica feels like a food court. Lively venue but questionable content.
    Basenotes is like an artisanal deli. Quiet, but reeks of quality.
    for swap/sale:

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I like that on Fragrantica people can vote for the notes they notice, also there is a little more information about the scent and who made it, plus better pictures. All that said, the reviews are better on BN, as is the forum.
    Exactly.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

..................the fact that you can openly ask such a question on here in the first place - speaks volumes about the difference between the two places.
    And more to the point -people can have a civilized discussion about the question, (without it all descending into bickering, pulling/censorship of threads and threats towards members to 'behave' or else).

This is the difference.

My opinion.

CPL- yes, I know you are not making it up. And it all happened in a few days.
    Yes, that one member is surely related to or sleeping with the admins. And again, if you miss the drama when it happens -it will just disappear at the admins whim, no matter how many cogent posts it has.

I like the notebook feature too on FG.
    I hate that you cannot list you wardrobe any other way than by dragging bottle images around.
    Also dislike the discussions because people just post pictures. Words, People, Words!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyperfumelady123 View Post
    Yes, there are now Individual Members Topics on Fragrantica.

But, this 'new feature' only came about as a reaction to constant bickering between members (two in particular). So, the Admin decided to 'separate' the main trouble maker and give her her very own topic (a bit like how you would separate and distract an unruly child I suppose)..... (come to think of it -What is the point of rewarding bad behaviour? Its beyond me.....) But, that is what happened.
    Anyway, after a while, people started complaining:
    - ''She has her very own topic?'' WTF ''Where are OUR own topics?????

So now, (for fairness sake) they have been more or less forced into giving everybody their own Individual Members Topics.

Trust me, I'm not making this up. You have to be there. Talk about high drama.

So now everybody can have their VERY OWN INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS TOPIC , and peace has now been restored to Fragrantica.

For the time being anyway!
    Last edited by knit at nite; 30th July 2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: clarity in final sentence
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Both are great. Basenotes has better forums imo. Fragrantica is much more easily navigated and I also concur that the voting system is excellent.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I like both.

I think Fragrantica has a much better review/rating system for fragrances and the ability to tag fragrance links into the forums is very helpful. Basenotes, however, has a much better forum IMO.

Two differences:

1. Basenotes is more niche friendly, Fragrantica is more designer friendly.
    2. Basenotes is mostly men, Fragrantica is mostly women.

Blog Entries

Peace has now been restored to Fragrantica, and not for the time being, but permanently. Members have their own personal topic. This sub-section has meanwhile grown to 30 topics.

I have talked about that before and in a neutral tone. I suggest to follow this neutral example, instead of airing out all sorts of "dirty laundry" from one Forum to another Forum. Many people are on both, are enjoying both, and I strongly believe that details and gossip should not be encouraged if we want to enjoy membership in both places.

Every time when one member is disgusted with one place, then she goes over and complains about that place in the other place ??

Grow up. Please.

Same when Basenotes, as it happens time and again, breaks down for maintenance. Then, certain members go over to Fragrantica and bad-mouth Basenotes.

PEACE, please.
    Last edited by Ursula; 30th July 2012 at 04:56 AM.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    For me there are two major differences. One is the ease of use with fragranitca, while BN has a better men's frag forum.
    Agreed!

I love the info Fragrantica includes in reviews, such as seasons and the difference between the notes a scent is supposed to have and the jumble of notes people smell. The graphs are also easier at a glance. And the section of "people who like this also like" scents is interesting too, though it usually ends up being the same popular scents. Still, it's better to have that info than not have it. Also, basenotes requires an extra click to read more than just five or six people's opinions. Fragrantica lists them all right on the main review page.

I go to Fragrantica for reviews. They're much better. But I prefer the forums here on basenotes.

Back OT:
    -I love this forum and community more, fits my interests and tastes better
    -but Fragrantica has a better fragrance directory, better search engine, no server problems and the swap section is loads livelier.
    @SomethingSmelly

I didn't know anything about the crazyperfumelady spat, and can't comment.
    I do prefer BN because of the greater variety of participants, topics and opinions. IMO, there's a higher level of discussion here, with many experienced perfumistas/istos, people with science backgrounds, arts backgrounds, perfume makers, collectors, inter alia. And those with greater knowledge are kind towards relative newbies like me.
    On the other hand, Fragrantica is often very soothing (above spat excepted). Like joining in a girlie discussion - gay males welcome - at the hairdressers.
    At BN, the inclusion of many straight men does make a difference, though I've no idea how to define it. But it's there. And it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by broxwood View Post
    The personal notebook is one of the reasons I use Fragrantica as well. Sometimes you just forget why you liked, disliked a fragrance or want to record your first impressions.
    Making notes sounds great, I hope Basenotes can steal that idea

Blog Entries

I will agree with the post that said along the lines of Fragrantica is for hobbyists, Basenotes is for collectors.

Fragrantica has been helpful thus far in helping me identify fragrances and giving suggestions for health/beauty products.

However if I am stumped on an obscure bottle or fragrance, I think I am able to come here and the community would be very helpful in that respect.

The reviews on Fragrantica can be annoying at times; if anything, the fragrance listings have comments, not reviews. However, there are still many reviews that are well-written once you weed out the others.

I think both places are relatively civil with exception to occasional...disagreements...but I've seen much worse happen on other corners of the internet, so it's not really a huge deal to me.

Blog Entries

Posting on the Internet is like moving around in a fish bowl. There is no hiding. Occasional tempests occur. That is what we have moderators for.

BTW, men are posting more often on Basenotes because the discussions are less emotional and more to the point.

Fragrantica is less exacting and very relaxing.

Basenotes= some of the best people on the web.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

I have to say the thing which does annoy me about Fragrantica. If a fragrance is discontinued they don't seem to have it in the dictionary. Oh and the pictures in your wardrobe, out of habit I do put up what I am wearing. I swear its damn hard work trying to pick the bottle from the pictures sometimes. I have to trail up and down looking for the right one, I wish they would put all the houses grouped together in photos.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Words, People, Words!
    - this. I used to not like that BN didn't have a drop down picture menu/ more pictures..now, I am soooo glad BN doesn't have that feature. I'd just would rather not see a post with 20 pictures of bottles. Not trying to be rude or anything, just personal taste there.
    Last edited by kalli; 30th July 2012 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Basenotes= some of the best people on the web.
    I'll second that.
    I'm sure it isn't always a picnic on here either (I'm not that naive lol) - but there does seem to be a friendlier (less toxic) vibe on here so far.

(I've already had so many welcoming and supportive pm's.as well) so - Thanks.

Okay, now I've fought my 'little' corner and stated the truth..... let that be an end to it. (no doubt they will be bitchiing and discussing me over there for the next couple of days - oh well, let them get on with it - I don't care anymore. I've said what I wanted to say and I'm happy)

p.s. Sorry to original poster for hijacking the thread :embarrassed:.

Blog Entries

Much too much information !!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyperfumelady123 View Post
    I'll second that.
    I'm sure it isn't always a picnic on here either (I'm not that naive lol) - but there does seem to be a friendlier (less toxic) vibe on here so far.

(I've already had so many welcoming and supportive pm's.as well) so - Thanks.

Okay, now I've fought my 'little' corner and stated the truth..... let that be an end to it. (no doubt they will be bitchiing and discussing me over there for the next couple of days - oh well, let them get on with it - I don't care anymore. I've said what I wanted to say and I'm happy)

p.s. Sorry to original poster for hijacking the thread :embarrassed:.
    No worries.... hijacking threads is a right of passage for us all and I am not a forum freak who gets upset easily if ever.

BTW I have a feeling that a lot of people may have dual accounts to both Basenotes and Fragranctica (I do) so a lot of those good people we talk about on Basenotes are the same good people on Fragrantica (with different forum names) .

And for the record I really like being able to quickly link fragrances on Fragrantica..... if Basenotes could add something like this it would make my day!
    Living each day one spray at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Well, my skin is that thin. As I said before, I strongly believe that we should keep gossip to a minimum, first of all, nobody is really that interested, and second, mentioning of names in the public Forum is impolite. PM messages would have accomplished much more.

If you publish stories about your past with my name in it once more, I shall report that post.
    Now then, now then.......

Time out, I think........

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

There are fine members on both sites, and there is also bad forum behavior on both sites.

Personally I dislike reading the airing of other forum's dirty laundry, and I dislike the practice of following people from one site to another to continue interpersonal disputes.

People who saw what happened already have their opinions, and people who didn't see it, don't need to know, or take sides.

Peace, please!

I don't know, when I read 'peace' I thought of Forrest Gump, which led me to this clip.

Last edited by kalli; 30th July 2012 at 07:31 PM.

Well, crazyperfumelady123 and Ursula, I'm reporting both of you. Happy now?

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    There are fine members on both sites, and there is also bad forum behavior on both sites.

Personally I dislike reading the airing of other forum's dirty laundry, and I dislike the practice of following people from one site to another to continue interpersonal disputes.

People who saw what happened already have their opinions, and people who didn't see it, don't need to know, or take sides.

Peace, please!
    *Scratches head* Hmmm, I am pretty sure I don't even know what went on. I have not followed this thread for over a week or so ago until today.

Anyways no need to fill me in...

Its all sorted and finished now. Everybody's happy (especially me)
    Last edited by crazyperfumelady123; 31st July 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Cool, now if we can all find the magical button on either of these sites that spits out free Fragrances we can all be happy campers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy01 View Post
    Cool, now if we can all find the magical button on either of these sites that spits out free Fragrances we can all be happy campers.
    Free perfume! If only! Everybody's dream. A bit like those cash machines that accidentally give out too much money!