Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Difference between Basenotes and Fragrantica?

I want some free perfume. Or, if either had a sniff interface or app or whatever you call it LOL I am not a computer whizz! But ya, something to where we can actually sniff all these without buying samples.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    I want some free perfume. Or, if either had a sniff interface or app or whatever you call it LOL I am not a computer whizz! But ya, something to where we can actually sniff all these without buying samples.
    Kind of like what they tried to do in the 60's and 70's theater craze, smell-o-rama . Hmmm.... now you got me thinking, imagine instead of photo booths you have scent booths. Step into a booth, slip in a couple of dollars, select a few fragrances from the computer screen, decide which one you like the best and then let the machine spritz you . Maybe it is just me but I can think of some places where machines like this may actually work.. .
    Living each day one spray at a time

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    OFF TOPIC -

I forgot where I read on the Internet World/Forum Discussions a suggestion that a small computer device should have wires to attach to the head, and then get aroma signals from the electronic storage - to actually perceive the specific fragrance - and know inside the brain what it smells like.

Because, in reality - aromas still get in via the nose - from paper strips in magazines - from testers sprayed. Those items are clumsy and not small enough to put on a small tablet of an electronic device, to smell it all.

Actually, this is a matter for a whole different thread - how to capture a vast encyclopedia of scents electronically and then send them directly into the consumer's brain.

Don't say that this is not possible - the first computers were awkward and large - and look how tiny the wizzards have become.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

I like the Men's forum on Basenotes better. However, I like the option on Fragrantica to insert a photo of a fragrance into a post by just typing it below. I also enjoy the wardrobe layout better on Fragrantica....the "shelves" are simple, but cool. The sales forum on Basenotes is far better IMO.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Here's a similarity: I was on Fragrantica earlier today and saw a giveaway thread there that is similar to the ones on the men's and women's forums here-- but their name is better: "Spray it Forward!" (see: http://www.fragrantica.com/board/viewtopic.php?)id=46523

How clever is that? I love it.

Huh, I don't ever go on Fragrantica forums..like BN much better for many different reasons.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

As an ex-FG member, I like BN quite a bit more. That is not to say that BN is perfect by any means, but FG has this weird vibe of overdramatic totalitarianism about it. Rules are not enforced except when the admins drop nukes. You wake up and twenty threads have disappeared. There's always the danger of your own reviews vanishing down the memory hole. All of a sudden you get threatening PMs about stuff you did months ago or things you didn't even do. Like I said -- weird, kinda creepy, not worth it.

There are some things on BN that I don't like: the waiting period for reviews (seriously?), and the same kind of closed-door system where only a few people can fix problems / add new fragrances / add new houses.

However, the amount of drama / buttholery is way less, and that counts for a lot in my book.
    Fragrance reviews and ruminations: http://romanticloner.jp22.net/wp/

Quote Originally Posted by crazyperfumelady123 View Post
    Free perfume! If only! Everybody's dream. A bit like those cash machines that accidentally give out too much money!
    The perfume should come out of the computer. A dream come true
    Favorite notes at this point: Sandal wood, Oud, Frankincense, Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
    ...There are some things on BN that I don't like: the waiting period for reviews (seriously?), and the same kind of closed-door system where only a few people can fix problems / add new fragrances / add new houses.
    All members can add fragrances and missing houses to the directory, use this form: http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

To me, the basic difference is that one is an innovator and the other an imitator.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Both sites have their uses. I find fragrantica to easier to navigate especially when looking for fragrances. I give more credibility to BN. The reviews on Fragrantica seem to be skimpy at best.

I like to read BN forum on Tapatalk which is not possible with FG or is it?

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk 2

There is just much more knowledge and experience here.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Amen to that!

In my opinion the quality and depth of fragrance reviews and discussions on Basenotes is miles ahead of that on Fragrantica
    Last edited by kbe; 17th November 2012 at 02:41 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I like the review format better on fragrantica and like to use that as a generic base of opinions (they tend to be more casual/general than bn). Better feel for what common people think IMO. From there I'll do more research on the forums here as there are better noses and opinions. The forum topics over there make no sense (half the posts have no text and half the fragrance recommendations have no correlation to what the user was asking for).

Overall basenotes is better but for casual skimming of new fragrances, I still use fragrantica.

Fragrantica's a lot of fun as far as setting up your wardrobe and looking at things. I think they also have a much larger directory and it doesn't take as long for things to get added.

Another cool feature is where you get to vote for which notes seem most prominent in a fragrance, so rather than just getting a note pyramid, you get to see what users actually think regarding the presence and strength of notes.

The day/night and seasons/age feature is cool, especially for beginners. And I like the projection/sillage meters they recently added. I find it very helpful.

Reviews such as: "I like! So super sexy and smell like my boyfriend bed after a day on motor scooter and hours of the love making!" are kind of par for the course around Fragrantica, so you have to sift through a bit.

Basenotes excels in the area of reviews, the discussions that are occurring (the main forums move quickly and present a ton of useful information), and it seems, imo, like a more tightly knit community, so you kind of get to know some users preferences, personalities, etc., which keeps you coming back.

I like to jump back and forth between both, especially when researching a fragrance, but prefer to hang out here, where the conversation is much better.

I prefer basenotes' interface, format and population but a thing that fragrantica is pretty far ahead is the fragrance directory, the basenotes one is not as informative, to learn about a fragrance's notes one have to go through comments and opinions (often differ) while on fragrantica you can easily read a fragrance's profile (musky, woody, floral etc.) I prefer basenotes however, only browse fragrantica fragrance directory if basenotes' has no informative comments or lacks a scent in the database entirely.

They even have a longevity slider now, another good addition after the perfume pyramid that people can design. When it comes to looking up a perfume (besides reading the reviews) Fragrantica wins, I'd say.

The balloon system when it comes to the reviews isn't bad either. The reviews have more of a general public feel to it though compared to BN.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 19th November 2012 at 10:54 PM.

fragrantica is funnier
    feedback on reviews
    directory easier to use
    more competence by some people here!

I'm fairly new to this site but I do like the reviews a bit more than Fragrantica. The big problem is that it's SLOW.

Yep, Basenotes seems to be going through another case of "the slows" today.

If the two were to merge -- the result would be UNSTOPPABLE!!

I also find that if a SA is not readily familiar with either site, they are going to be about as helpful as the Avon lady at helping me find a new fragrance or discussing the subject.

I personally visit both sites every single day, but would be more devastated if Fragrantica were to go down for good. I use that as a reference guide constantly. Basenotes, is just a better supported forum, not a better one.

BN = Serious discussion of serious scents, mostly. High standard of English.
    F = Somewhat more girlie discussion of more mainstream scents, less love for classics like Kouros. Lower standard of English.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    They even have a longevity slider now, another good addition after the perfume pyramid that people can design. When it comes to looking up a perfume (besides reading the reviews) Fragrantica wins, I'd say.
    I agree. Opinions and general forum activity are way more thorough here, though.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Fragrantica is the tech savvy high school*

Basenotes is the old fashioned but esteemed university*

I'm a teenager trying to run with the college kids LOL.

*nerds like me enjoy all types of school. Bazinga!

There is a significant difference between the two: Basenotes has an app that constantly crashes on my phone, and its server is terribly slow; Fragrantica's server is fast but they don't offer an app as far as I know. I go to Fragrantica first simply because it's a more stable website. There are other differences but this one is key. Before talking about functions and how scents are classified or described, you need to be able to use a website reliably.

I use both sites. Fragrantica has visual search engine for finding fragrances. Basenotes has larger male forum. Basenotes also has Tapatalk for access to forums which is easier to use on my iPhone.

Fragrantica has a fancy and useless layout, forum, wardrobe and reviews section, with a lot of missinformation and reviews like "I love it on my boyfriend".

While basenotes has much more features like my most used fragrances, ranking on my fragrances with rating and longevity (i can access a friends wardrobe and see what he likes the most, what is longlasting, etc) and also when was the last time that I used a fragrance and all the things.
    Also we have users with more knowledge.

BN is better than FG, but I'd appreciate a lot a sort of "similar to..." icon here in BN. (For example when I read something a scent, there would be an icon or a space dedicated to similarities with other perfumes.)

BN members are *generally* more educated and sophisticated.
    Discussions here -and the general atmosphere of the site- are more intellectual.
    I don't like the girlishness permeating all over Fragrantica. I don't think I'm understood there.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I dislike it when one forum puts the other forum down, to be honest. Now and then such threads are started over there too.
    I post in both places. Each one has its strengths and weaknesses and neither is perfect.

I like the forum here on basenotes its much more informative and the debates are lively.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

I prefer Basenotes in all aspects and every little detail!
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

Basenotes leans more toward niche and connoisseurs.
    Fragrantica leans more toward designers and casual wear.

I prefer the forum on basenotes. It has less dudes looking for (ahem) "panty-droppers" and more people who appreciate perfume for the sake of art and style. I've never browsed the women's section of fragrantica, but the men's section seems pretty bad to me.

I prefer the reviews section on fragrantica. It has more information, and the information is easier to glance through. The bar graph showing seasons and day/night which can be broken down by gender and age is excellent. The notes are laid out as graphics and reviewers vote on which ones they detect the most. Excellent. There are longevity and silage bar graphs. Excellent. Below that are ALL reviews, not just 5 or 6, neatly yet compactly presented. By comparison, the reviews section of basenotes is pretty bad. There's much less information. It's presented mostly as text rather than graphics at a glance, and the information is less detailed. Also, on basenotes, you only get a few reviews before having to click away to another page for more.

I rarely read the forums on fragrantica.
    I rarely read the reviews on basenotes.

I love basenotes for the forum.
    I love fragrantica for reviews.

I have both sites bookmarked and I use them often.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Not sure why, but I've always preferred BN as my "go-to", and have always looked at fragrantica as supplemental to that. I'm glad that there is both, though, because if I can't quite find the info or reviews for something I'm looking for here on BN, I can sometimes find it there. Both sites offer value to both fragrance enthusiasts and the average consumer just looking for their next signature scent, but I do find BN better suited to the fragrance enthusiast.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

I would disagree with this. Often, when I have a serious question I post both here and on fragrantica. I tend to find the best advice there. Here, I usually receive suggestions that are predictable whereas there I tend to receive suggestions that are different but well-advised. Especially on the womens forum ( when I occasionally need advise on women's perfume for my girlfriend).

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy01 View Post
    Disclaimer... this is not a bashing one site or another thread.

I personally like both Basenotes and Fragrantica but one thing has stood out to me and that is the listed notes on fragrances. I have noticed on several if not all Fragrances I look up on both sites the listed notes never match and sometimes they are never close.

From my perspective it seems like Basenotes list the note triangle with the actual notes and Fragrantica list the notes that people tend to notice the most. Now is my perspective right and if not right then which site is more accurate? BTW since I am posting this in Basenotes I am assuming that Basenotes is more accurate.
    dear, given notes are never totally true or accurate, the matter is what blend a perfumer can present.. if you keep that in mind u'll think why bother? In so many known perfumes about 95% of real ppl can't recognize any thyme or vanilla or vetiver yet they say if they like the composition or not ! -- Of course in some cases notes given are noticable by 95% but not all the time, see? Given notes is mostly a fun thing for searchers and everyone who likes perfumery but perfume making has always hidden hints and secrets i guess.. If you are a 'note-follower' you can see that perfumes that have the same notes doesn't smell near, how much clearer than that ? always with love!

the weakest thing on fragnatica and the main difference with basenotes is that the search thing for topics never existed..or never worked..thus, the same topics just looping and repeating thru time (with most of the times no portential replies) while basenotes searcher on topics works fine! I guess that is probably that. love you both though!
    Last edited by patsavouta; 3rd July 2014 at 12:33 AM.

Tending to agree that both sites have their own achievements and strengths in their own particular way. BN often brings an additional amount of knowledge, interaction and diverse reviewing perspective, while the other site/community often lists fragrances that may not be included yet or will only be subsequently included in the BN directory (of course, there are various other diverse features of both sites, comparative advantages but also setbacks of either etc., but these were some of the most striking, non-exhaustive features that first came to my mind).

I like the DIY forum here.
    I don't like the male dominance.

I dropped into fragrantica a few times and just find it too visually cluttered to stick around - I honestly couldn't last more than 10 minutes.

Do they still speak in pictures and emoticons over there or has the idea of sentences caught on?

Some guy here on BN started a Thread about the Dior Privee line and left off Granville because 'fragrantica list it as a female fragrance' . . . terrific

We are fortunate to have some very dedicated reviewers posting here, I don't know about Fragrantica - I dipped into
    a couple of reviews of stuff I wanted to find out more about over there (after coming up short with blogs or here) and found the inane one-liners just mortifying

Of course Fragrantica doesn't have an exclusive patent of dumb one-liners . . .
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 9th July 2014 at 05:43 AM.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

I have actually been pm'd and asked to switch to Fragantica -- yes, 'headhunted'!

That's how desperate they are

I want it loved the first one I hope this is just as good.

I haven't smelled this, but judging from the too obvious message of the flacon, it would probably only be interesting to teenage boys.

can this bottle be more stupid !

Ohhh! I'm excited about this!

^^ This is what you get when reviews aren't moderated.

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Amen to that!

In my opinion the quality and depth of fragrance reviews and discussions on Basenotes is miles ahead of that on Fragrantica
    Agree - reviews here are a "huge" plus compared to FG, this & the better "in-depth" discussions are the main reasons I like BN much better (as well some excellent reviewers, some of whom do contribute their reviews even on FG).

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I want it loved the first one I hope this is just as good.

I haven't smelled this, but judging from the too obvious message of the flacon, it would probably only be interesting to teenage boys.

can this bottle be more stupid !

Ohhh! I'm excited about this!

^^ This is what you get when reviews aren't moderated.
    Ha Ha. The CBeebies version of Basenotes no less

If you were eavesdropping on the lineup at Basenotes, it'd be for an art gallery, and Fragrantica would be the lineup for a prom
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I have actually been pm'd and asked to switch to Fragantica -- yes, 'headhunted'!

That's how desperate they are
    Well, you are not getting out of bed for less that £1,25 per word, insurance for carpal tunnel syndrome, weekends off, and then there is my agent's fee..
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

I still have to figure out who is the quickest in inserting new fragrances into the directory - I fear FG is quicker? (just asking, not asserting)
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

It varies here - have you submitted any, Colin?
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

honestly our database is in serious need of a revamp. Consistent pictures, note lists, release dates, etc. It's a bit embarrassing IMO
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

The perfumer list has been altered a bit recently, maybe?

Note lists & other corrections can be submitted when known btw.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php