Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Today I Bought - July 2012

Raided the Molinard site and ordered the 5x10ml discovery set for her, the 5x10 ml discovery set of the soliflores and a 30ml of Vanille with a Vanille body lotion.

All are reduced or as specials. Yay

An expensive month already.

Large bottle of SJP Lovely. Originally bought for me by Mr Ali and this will be my third bottle. The nearest thing to Idylle Duet Rose-Patchouli to my nose. Also a 30ml of Lady Million whose bitter orange and tart raspberries literally makes my mouth water.

Not niche, not cool but will both get used frequently
    Last edited by Alityke; 2nd July 2012 at 08:35 PM.

Default Re: Today I Bought - July 2012

Fantastic gitft from a girlfriend of mine: vintage Jolie Madame EDT dated 1960...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sur la Plage

Honore des Pres Vamp a NY

Notes include tuberose, rum, Bourbon vanilla, Peru balsam, Tolu balsam and benzoin.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

bleu autumn haze

Checking off a longstanding fixture on my wanted-list! Morgane Le Fay Blue
    Notes: Pink pepper, galbanum, lily of the valley, rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, sandalwood, benzoin, musk, incense.

I've trademarked the color bleu

Dahila Noir Edt samples..till I can get a FB!
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

Blog Entries

A 100ml bottle of Habanita edt, BNIB for a great price from ebay. After sampling this recently, l couldn't stop thinking about it, & having heard rumours of the edt's discontinuation, l thought it's now or never!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I did the same thing last month, teardrop - got that bottle of Habanita edt before it's too late. Congrats, and enjoy!

This month...
    Chanel Cristalle edt to replace an emptied bottle
    Guerlain Eau de Cologne du Coq just because I felt like it.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    A 100ml bottle of Habanita edt, BNIB for a great price from ebay. After sampling this recently, l couldn't stop thinking about it, & having heard rumours of the edt's discontinuation, l thought it's now or never!
    Couldn't see Habanita EDT on the Molinard website on Sunday. So pleased I found a 100ml on eBay when I did too.

Patchouly Indonesiano Parfum 100ml by Farmacia SS. Anunziata.....just because.. =)

Went a little over board today:

my latest acquisitions: a 75ml bottle of cuir de russie, a 120ml bottle of jil sander man scent 79 and a 100ml bottle of navegar, all three at an amazing price so couldn't resist. this is it for quite a while, i will stop for now and try to clear the c/c damage (unless someone comes my way with a fb of black tourmaline or eau du fier, lol).

Last edited by danny1967; 5th July 2012 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danny1967 View Post
    my latest acquisitions: a 75ml bottle of cuir de russie, a 120ml bottle of jil sander man scent 79 and a 100ml bottle of navegar, all three at an amazing price so couldn't resist. this is it for quite a while, i will stop for now and try to clear the c/c damage.

Wonderful additions to your collection. I wish I had one of those Chanel Les Exclusifs in my wardrobe.

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    Wonderful additions to your collection. I wish I had one of those Chanel Les Exclusifs in my wardrobe.
    thanks lucas. hopefully one day my friend, hopefully one day. chanel doesn't mail to poland?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Checking off a longstanding fixture on my wanted-list! Morgane Le Fay Blue
    Notes: Pink pepper, galbanum, lily of the valley, rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, sandalwood, benzoin, musk, incense.

I'm so happy you got this, it's a great fragrance!!

Like the Chanel Cuir de Russie, Danny.

Just received (another) backup of Ungaro II. I think it is safe to say I now have enough of this stockpiled to last me well into old age.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Like the Chanel Cuir de Russie, Danny.

Just received (another) backup of Ungaro II. I think it is safe to say I now have enough of this stockpiled to last me well into old age.
    i know! i was thinking of you when i've posted the pic. i think we are both obsessed about it (you being the bigger one, lol).

I've jumped on the Habanita bandwagon too - bought a backup tester bottle before the old ones all disappear. I haven't smelled the new one yet, but I know the old one is a steal at $20/100ml.

Also got these at the Guerlain boutique on Rue Saint-Honore while in Paris last week:

I had lunch (and took photos) at the Costes afterwards, and sniffed, but didn't buy any fragrance there.

and a Chanel Pour Monsieur stick deo for traveling - versatile enough to wear with anything.

and from eBay, going back to the beginning in my chypre wanderings ...

and finally, in the most epic trade ever with a very good BN friend, a full bell bottle of vintage Shiseido Iris Silver Mist:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Rumours of EDT discontinued???? I know they just released a "Modern EDP" but hadn't heard about any discontinuations. Congrats on your purchase. I think Habanita is one of the best buys in perfume-land.

I got half oz of Feraud2- which I can find zero info on.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

It's no rumour, folks: The original "HABANITA" is discontinued, and will never be made again, neither in EDT nor in P. I knew this quite some time ago so I'm afraid I ordered so much I'm having a hard time finding room on the shelves of the "cave" (whence the First Edition Iris Silver Mist circa 1993 above ^^^^) Interestingly, the "new" habanita uses the now nearly impossible to obtain parfum (+/- $500.00 an ounce on e-bay) as an inspiration, and forgets the EdT completely--the new EdP is nothing at all like the EdT, but very much like the Parfum: In the Grand Tradition of (now obsolete) French Perfumery, these were two different scents entirely, designed to be worn together. There are still many 100ml bottles to be had on e-bay for as little as $20.00US for 3.3 ounces in the original black Lalique atomizer. I find it difficult to imagine living without this, so I must have at least 50 of them. As it says on my e-bay buyer rating pages over and over and over: "Bulk Buyer" LOL--but when I see that "10" available in the box--I just can't *not* buy all 10--especially when something is discontinued! For the record: My latest acquisitions: 1x30ml vintage "OPIUM" parfum, 1x vintage 120ml "OPIUM" eau de toilette splash, and 1x vintage 60ml "Opium" perfumed bath oil: I got to thinking: I *need* Opium. Interestingly, there really isn't much of the vintage left.....I think all of us *need* at least 7ml of Opium parfum in that swell bottle, just for reference.......
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

MdM - if there are any other old things falling off of the shelves of your cave, I'm always ready to help you make room.

I just ordered a couple more tester bottles of Habanita EdT before they are all gone. It's hard not to at these prices. My wife has recently fallen for it, and the first bottle is going fast. One backup won't be enough.

By the way, I was in the mega Sephora on the Champs-Élysées last week. They had only the new version, judging from the flat, wide boxes on the shelf. They just had an old EdT tester out though. I went there specifically to try the new EdP, too. I may just have to blind buy it.

Lovely bell jar, rubegon! Congrats! I was so tempted to buy exactly the same bell jar from ebay (maybe it was a European listing only, I don't recall, but it's gone by now) at a very good price, but then I do not like the newer Iris Silver Mist. I got myself the Shiseido Rose de Nuit instead - ready to be picked up from my local mail service point today!

Went into store with the intention of getting Tobacco Vanille or Black Orchid. Ended up leaving with this:

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post

and finally, in the most epic trade ever with a very good BN friend, a full bell bottle of vintage Shiseido Iris Silver Mist:

Dear Lord, this is F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!!!

Basenotes Plus

Chergui was my first niche! welcome to BN broxwood
    A Scent Rescuer

queen of the universe

robegon, you got the Coty Chypre! Same bottle as I have. Of course, after I sent you a decant (; Tell us all about it. Enjoy!

Alfarom, I was staying at a friend's who has all her mother's old perfumes including JM of same vintage. Next time I visit her, I am bringing decant supplies.

Myself, awaiting DvF Volcan d'Amour—a rarity—from ebay as well as sample vials of Amarige Mariage just because the notes sounded so festive.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Alfarom, I was staying at a friend's who has all her mother's old perfumes including JM of same vintage. Next time I visit her, I am bringing decant supplies.
    Very nice leathery-floral a-la Bandit (well, sort of). I wasn't familiar with the vintage since I got it as a gift...Just LOVELY!

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Lovely bell jar, rubegon! Congrats! I was so tempted to buy exactly the same bell jar from ebay (maybe it was a European listing only, I don't recall, but it's gone by now) at a very good price, but then I do not like the newer Iris Silver Mist. I got myself the Shiseido Rose de Nuit instead - ready to be picked up from my local mail service point today!
    Thank you Larimar! I tested ISM from a Perfumed Court sample - not sure how recent a vintage - and have been fascinated with it ever since. I was about to go to the SL shop to buy a bell of it (I was in Paris last week) when MdM proposed a trade for a certain elephantine flacon I had recently acquired. It's now the prize of my collection!

I love it! This one seems a bit earthier and less "pretty" than I remember the sample I tried. Not a fragrance to wear out for me - perfect for quiet moments alone.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Dear Lord, this is F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!!!
    Thanks, alfarom -I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    robegon, you got the Coty Chypre! Same bottle as I have. Of course, after I sent you a decant (; Tell us all about it. Enjoy!
    I did, jujy! I think blind bought it before your sample even arrived - I had been keeping my eyes open after I missed that last bottle, and got it at a good price. I have been on a real chypre kick lately, and this is a great addition to the collection, and not just for "archival" purposes - I find it very wearable. Now I'm on the lookout for a bottle of the parfum ...

I was wondering how close it would be to Chanel pour Monsieur, as CpM has been said to be the closest thing to the original Chypre de Coty. I like the Coty more - it's a bit more overtly floral and feminine in the opening, but it settles into it's "chyprosity" quickly. Its refreshing and bitter, while still seeming substantial - if that makes sense. Surprisingly tenacious for an EdT - probably because it has more oakmoss than any "chypre" made these days?

Oh, and I just got another thing I've been wanting for a while. Semi-blind - I have the EdT, and after Larimar's comments on it, I knew I'd love it.

Vol de Nuit parfum tester:

Basenotes Plus

my recent purchases (and blind buys) of slumberhouse norne and pear & olive arrived today.

will need to sample later as I'd like not to be thrown out of the movies this afternoon.
    A Scent Rescuer

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1889 Moulin Rouge Histoires de Parfums, blind buy
    1969 Parfum de Révolte by Histoire de Parfums, blind buy
    Avignon - CDG

My first multi-niche spree. Still keeping a bit safe to my tastes, as I need some amount of patchouli in everything. I love the risk and surprise of blind buys (of course I read a ton of reviews first).

Also ordered decants of Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens and New York by Nicolai.

Tesori d'Oriente Neroli & Cardamom, again for a present.

Returning from our annual conference yesterday I find that the wonderful and unique Wrappings is easily available in Dublin Airport. So a purchase ensued.

Basenotes Plus

A full bottle at last - C'est magnifique

Top notes - Lemon Peel, Basil, Lotus Blossom, Ambrette Seeds
    Heart notes - Olive, Jasmine, Magnolia
    Base notes - Benzoin, Ambergris, Musk

Great job Jon-I remember you posting that one up before, those notes sound divine! So curious!.

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

Picked up a backup of my almost depleted Avignon. And Kobe.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oooh Alityke, Wrappings sounds like such a unique classic. Thanks for being the first to alert me of its existence.

Oh my, I fell into a Sunday vintage binge...

Xs Extreme Girl!!!!!--only a mini, but still soo excited.
    Vintage Jacomo Silences
    Vintage Pucci Vivara (mini) with traditional pucci pattern packaging
    Noa by Cacharel
    Ivoire de Balmain vintage edt and body cream
    Molinard de Molinard vintage

alfarom- that Jolie Mdme is a gorgeous specimen of understated packaging.

Ooh and it seems like the recent Best CDG thread has inspired many of us to restock Avignon.

@ anomie- Oh man, I was just thinking yesterday how much I would *really* love to try XS Extreme Girl! The notes I see for this make my mouth just water. Need to try soon!

Some lovely gifts for my recent birthday...thanks to the wonderful people involved..I love you.

Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle

vintage Monsieur Carven

Nino Cerruti EDT

...and a vintage Guerlain Eau De Cologne ad...

Basenotes Member

I have been staying away as my spending was becoming far too enabled by you lovely folks and all the great info on here about what to try next ...but I have to remark to....
    Jon Rogers: ENJOY - I bought a bottle in May and I LURVE it - so good.

Nothing to declare from self - but you guys are hauling some fabulous stuff! Happy birthday alfarom!

Quote Originally Posted by whwend View Post
    Happy birthday alfarom!
    Thanks dear.

- - - Updated - - -

Happy birthday alfarom!
    Thanks dear.

- - - Updated - - -

Happy birthday alfarom!
    Thanks dear.

'forgot' about this one, can you believe it? i think i have a problem..

Ah Danny! Laboratorio Olfattivo! I really like Alambar from their line, and I'm still up to try Daimiris and one of their newest perfume - Noblige.

- - - Updated - - -

Today I bought samples of:

Annick Goutal Ninfeo Mio
    Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche
    Parfum d'Empire Azemour Les Orangers
    Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire.

And almost forgot to mention that because I'm such a great client of my local niche perfume shop who supports them a lot on their website I'll be gifted with free samples of Amouage Interlude Men and Interlude Women

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Great job Jon-I remember you posting that one up before, those notes sound divine! So curious!.
    I have been staying away as my spending was becoming far too enabled by you lovely folks and all the great info on here about what to try next ...but I have to remark to....
    Jon Rogers: ENJOY - I bought a bottle in May and I LURVE it - so good.
    Thanks very much, ladies . It is a delight for sure. "She who must be obeyed" loves it too so it looks like it will be a shared experience.

Belated Birthday Greetings to alfarom

(some rather nice gifts you got there, F )
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 9th July 2012 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Some lovely gifts for my recent birthday...thanks to the wonderful people involved..I love you.

Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle

vintage Monsieur Carven

Nino Cerruti EDT

...and a vintage Guerlain Eau De Cologne ad...

missed out on your b'day MR F, belated wishes (must've been away!). 21 again?
    you've got some lovely gifts, enjoy. & i'm sure the guerlain vintage ad will end up framed on your wall.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    Ah Danny! Laboratorio Olfattivo! I really like Alambar from their line, and I'm still up to try Daimiris and one of their newest perfume - Noblige.

- - - Updated - - -

Today I bought samples of:

Annick Goutal Ninfeo Mio
    Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche
    Parfum d'Empire Azemour Les Orangers
    Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire.

And almost forgot to mention that because I'm such a great client of my local niche perfume shop who supports them a lot on their website I'll be gifted with free samples of Amouage Interlude Men and Interlude Women
    spur of the moment impulse buy i'm afraid MR L, i'm still on the fence with this one as it reminds me too much of eldo's tom of finland (nothing against it but don't wear it too often and don't want two similar frags that are not part of my daily rotation). it might end up on my swap list, we shall see how it behaves in colder weather.
    Last edited by danny1967; 9th July 2012 at 04:43 PM.

spur of the moment impulse buy i'm afraid MR L, i'm still on the fence with this one as it reminds me too much of eldo's tom of finland (nothing against it but don't wear it too often and don't want two similar frags that are not part of my daily rotation). it might end up on my swap list, we shall see how it behaves in colder weather.
    Never tried Tom of Finland, but I will one day

L'Air du Temps Couture Edition

Hoping it smells like the vintage...

missed out on your b'day MR F, belated wishes (must've been away!). 21 again?
    you've got some lovely gifts, enjoy. & i'm sure the guerlain vintage ad will end up framed on your wall.
    Danny, how many times do I have to tell you? 19, I'm 19!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Belated Birthday Greetings to alfarom

(some rather nice gifts you got there, F )
    Thanks Jon! Hugs!

I spotted Wrappings in House of Fraser Belfast.

Parfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris and Tonkamande.
    Last edited by donna255; 12th July 2012 at 03:10 PM.
    DONNA

Wow, this ISM vintage is stunning !

If someone has a cave full of MKK 1998, i gladly want one lol

Just bought Rahät Loukoum 50mls left in a bell jar from ebay. I actually didn't think I would win it as it went for under £50 including shipping. This is a blind buy, but I have an like Louve.
    Prepare the insulin !

Basenotes Plus

I am enthused A tester bottle (sans cap) of the new edition Habanita Molinard EDP arrived today. I've been wearing it for about 3 hours now and declare it quite worthy to sit on the shelf next to my current EDT and vintage cologne in the flower shaped bottle. The EDP doesn't lose the essence of what is Habanita, yet re-introduces H to a new generation. It's sharper in the top and less powdery in the bottom- making it edgy and contemporary - possibly the reaction experienced nearly 100 years ago, when first introduced in the roaring 20's.

In my opinion Molinard did an outstanding job with this release and set a standard that other houses should aspire to reach when they reformulate.
    A Scent Rescuer

Surrender to chance samples arrived today. Got Tobacco Vanille, Comme des Garcons 2, Musc Ravageur, Carnal Flower, Lys Mediterranee and Portrait of a Lady.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    I am enthused A tester bottle (sans cap) of the new edition Habanita Molinard EDP arrived today. I've been wearing it for about 3 hours now and declare it quite worthy to sit on the shelf next to my current EDT and vintage cologne in the flower shaped bottle. The EDP doesn't lose the essence of what is Habanita, yet re-introduces H to a new generation. It's sharper in the top and less powdery in the bottom- making it edgy and contemporary - possibly the reaction experienced nearly 100 years ago, when first introduced in the roaring 20's.

In my opinion Molinard did an outstanding job with this release and set a standard that other houses should aspire to reach when they reformulate.
    That's very encouraging to read, Knit. Definately on the 'to test' list now.
    Enjoy !

Etro Via Verri Vintage
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post

Just bought Rahät Loukoum 50mls left in a bell jar from ebay. I actually didn't think I would win it as it went for under £50 including shipping. This is a blind buy, but I have an like Louve.

Congrats, Donna. Sounds like a great deal on that bell jar. PG Cuir d'Iris is high on my wanted list after testing it several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post

Thanks, Mon-Petit! I feel very lucky to have gotten it. Only on Basenotes could this happen! I hope you find your vintage MKK one day too!

Thanks for the report, Knit. The powder bomb dry down is one of the things I live about Habanita. My wife has been wearing tons of it, and I've been in smoky/powdery heaven! The new one sounds great too, though. I'll likely be blind buying it before too long ...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post

Congrats, Donna. Sounds like a great deal on that bell jar. PG Cuir d'Iris is high on my wanted list after testing it several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post

Thanks, Mon-Petit! I feel very lucky to have gotten it. Only on Basenotes could this happen! I hope you find your vintage MKK one day too!

Thanks for the report, Knit. The powder bomb dry down is one of the things I live about Habanita. My wife has been wearing tons of it, and I've been in smoky/powdery heaven! The new one sounds great too, though. I'll likely be blind buying it before too long ...

Midnight Oud by Juliette Has a Gun 100ml

Couldn't resist. Wish it were possible to taste how this smells:

My Comme des Garcons binge continues!:

Basenotes Plus

I won a used bottle of vintage Diorissimo edt. I know this one has a tendency to go off, but it ended at $35 so I felt it was worth risking. Anyway, it arrived today and it's perfect
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    I won a used bottle of vintage Diorissimo edt. I know this one has a tendency to go off, but it ended at $35 so I felt it was worth risking. Anyway, it arrived today and it's perfect
    Congratulations! I'm planning a new hunt soon too!