Code of Conduct

Default Something aquatic with sillage

What is the best aquatic scent that lasts? I want something for summer that smells oceany, salty, sandy and fresh. I want to hear the seagulls overhead and waves lapping gently onto the beach, but I don't want to put it on every 2 hours. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Something aquatic with sillage

Missoni Acqua is a pretty good aquatic. Has medium sillage, satisfying lasting power.

I think by definition there aren't many true aquatics with massive sillage or staying power - basenotes with longevity are usually heavier than what you'd find in aquatics. However, although it's more of an oriental than an aquatic, there is a humid and balmy accord in Dune that you might enjoy, and you don't have to apply it again and again to get it to last. It's my absolute favorite in the heat, and for the beach. Another one that's more aquatic and more sheer (but admittedly lacks some staying-power because of it) is Dali's Laguna - it won't last all day, but it's definitely present while it does.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I bet for womanity
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

If by aquatic you mean the marine/calone note prominent in many masculine perfumes, then you can turn to the male counter. Marine masculines are infernally tenacious, from Eau d'Issey to Light blue to Aqua di Gio (man). I dont like them, but they are tenacious. In $$$$ niche perfumery, there's something called Tirrenico that is even stronger (I dont like that either).

cacio

+1 Tirrenico providing you also like the smell of fennel.

Quote Originally Posted by blackened View Post
    I bet for womanity
    +1 I bet for womanity too.
    My friend blackened knows, if he bet for womanity...I bet for womanity toooooooooooo!!!!!!

Womanity? Robin of nst pretty much spoke my mind:
    "I found Womanity likable. But I don’t love it (...) I redesigned it in my mind: I made the fig greener, I toned down the sweet and the pink, I amped up the caviar accord and the woods."

I am not firm when it comes to aquatic scents but reading saline Frédéric Malle Lys Mediterranee springs to my mind.
    Last edited by mia von trost; 2nd July 2012 at 12:37 PM.
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

Eau de Merveilles by Hermes comes to mind.

Bulgari Aqua or Heeley's Sel Marin, perhaps ?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm getting Dune, read somewhere that this is Duchess Kate's signature scent so was wanting to try it anyhow. Will also try Womanity right away. Thanks for the idea about guy's frags. I do wear many men's scents so not afraid to try this, will hit the perfume counter sometime over the holiday.

Another vote for Tirrenico. Surely one of the most tenacious aquatic ever...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Blog Entries

Tirrenico has a bilge-like note on my skin, but it is certainly interesting.

l second Lys Mediterranee; a beautifully languid, salty lily.

Also l recommend Maui by MCMC Fragrances, although it also has a strong anise note along with the ocean breeze.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

i really like the aquatic genre especially D&G Light Blue, and Lanvin Eclat D'Arpege

Nautica Voyage lasts very well for me

(Caveat - this is to my nose on my bod...)

I Profumi diFirenzi - Brezza di Mare...Lily Pulitzer Beachy...Davidoff Cool Water and Cool Water Woman...best of all (but no sillage) is Demeter's Salt Air. But it's so cheeeep you can carry it with you and just keep re-spritzing.

And another vote for Dail's Laguna.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I got Dune and really like it. Also got Womanity, it's okay, but there's something musty about it that I don't like. Reminds me of the time I over seasoned some spaghetti sauce. D & G Light Blue was nice, but too light and disappeared after 2 hours.
    Really happy with the Eternity Aqua for Women by Calvin Klein I found this summer, but want to try some of the other frags mentioned here as well. Thanks, again, for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenscent1 View Post
    I got Dune and really like it. Also got Womanity, it's okay, but there's something musty about it that I don't like. Reminds me of the time I over seasoned some spaghetti sauce. D & G Light Blue was nice, but too light and disappeared after 2 hours.
    Really happy with the Eternity Aqua for Women by Calvin Klein I found this summer, but want to try some of the other frags mentioned here as well. Thanks, again, for the suggestions.
    Nice update! It is nice to have a quest, isn't it? I was hoping that you would try the Heeley, Sel Marin. It is expensive, and it doesn't last (so in that sense it doesn't fit your brief) but honestly if you like this genre it is a must try. It is the most beautiful example of modern perfumery, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Nice update! It is nice to have a quest, isn't it? I was hoping that you would try the Heeley, Sel Marin. It is expensive, and it doesn't last (so in that sense it doesn't fit your brief) but honestly if you like this genre it is a must try. It is the most beautiful example of modern perfumery, IMHO.
    I trust your opinion and it's going straight to the top my list of aquatics to try! Thanks!