Code of Conduct

Default sel de vetiver VS vetiver extraordinaire

wich one is more dirty and earthy ??
    sel de vetiver or vetiver extraordinaire??

help me please !!!!!

Default Re: sel de vetiver VS vetiver extraordinaire

For me, Sel de Vetiver is sunshine-y (grapefruit) with a clean saltiness. I have not yet experienced Vetiver Extraodinaire so I can't comment on that one but I don't think of dirty or earthy when I wear Sel de Vetiver. There have been a lot of recent vetiver discussions here lately describing the two you mention and many many more so if you want to investigate further, search the threads database and you'll find several threads describing the different vetivers around. To summarize a lot of those posts, I'll say that many mention Lalique's Encre Noir as a more earthy option: well made and affordable to boot.
    Last edited by nthny; 18th December 2008 at 09:49 PM.

i hate encre noire
    i cant stand it.... too clean!
    i know othe vetivers...... i am getting one as a gift.... and i am not abble to smell sel de vativer at the store in Amsterdam.... i have to go to another town for it witch i dont want to do.

i remmember sel de vativer as heavy, dirty and somhow fresh too. i am not sure, but i expirienced VETIVER extraordinaire as a lighter version of sel de vetiver. sel de vetiver is bit bitter and quit enoing in a way , witch i think it is a quality

Off-Scenter

Vetiver Extraordinaire is sharper, harder-edged, and emphatic than Sel de Vetiver, so I suppose it might read as more "earthy." Of course if you really want earthy vetiver, you ought to try Route du Vetiver and Etro Vetiver!

i already have ERTO vativer and anick goutal vetiver.... but to be honest, i am looking for a scent that is abble to kill me by it's bitterness, sharpness and rude behaviour

Off-Scenter

Well, Vetiver Extraordinaire is bitter and sharp, but to my nose Route du Vetiver is more rude and earthy.

Wow, really? To me, Encre Noire smells dirty and earthy, whereas Vetiver Extraordinaire smells clean and earthy. Can't comment on Sel de Vetiver, however, I can recommend VE; it's truly a masterpiece.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Sel d' Vetiver is not dirty at all - its the opposite of dirty. But, that's what is great about it. Vetiver Extraordinaire is definitely earthier that SdV, but I would not describe it as dirty.

The dirtiest vetiver I've tried is probably Miller Harris Bourbon Vetiver - a very rich and sort of dirty smelling vetiver. Also, Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver is probably the earthiest vetiver - it could be called dirty I suppose.

VE blows SdV away!

The Etro is the earthiest vetiver I own, but I don't own Route de Vetiver or Villoresi or the Miller Harris, and haven't sampled any of them. As the other posters mentioned, you might check out those.

I do own Sel de Vetiver and do not consider it dirty. Like you, I own the Goutal Vetyver. There are some similarities between the two, but I consider Sel de Vetiver to be a cleaner, lighter, more subtle and refined version of the Goutal.

Of the two you mentioned, I think VE is earthier than Sel de Vetiver. I don't think of it as bitter, though.

noggs

Well it needed to happen sooner or later and this post inspired me to wear Route du Vetiver today as my exclusive fragrance (I'd only worn it on one arm in the past) and it was a wonderful "ride" so to speak (I had a rehearsal tonight so I kinda swam in it... wondering what my fellow orchestra members thought hehe) It's gripping, has a certain raucous quality which gets sharp and pointed (to me) and then as Vibert wrote, it smooths out but that took 5 hours to really happen. I know it's not an option you listed moreda, but it's well worth your effort if you can find it. It may be just what you are looking for. Another raucous, sharp (one blog listed it as "poisonous") vetiver is Montale's Vetiver des Sables. The only thing about that one is it's not particular dirty but certain it is bitter and sharp and I suppose rude as well... IMHO. I think it rides neatly between Route du Vetiver's darker earthy sharp growl and Sel de Vetiver's brighter sea water vibe.
    Last edited by nthny; 19th December 2008 at 05:57 AM.

I`d second and third Route du Vetiver MPG,
    BUT
    when someone `looking for a scent that is able to kill me by it's bitterness, sharpness and rude behaviour`,
    it`s my pleasure to suggest some Onda by Vero Kern (vetiver in animalic chypre), Fvmidvs by Profumo Durante Rome (vetiver and smoke, like an old single malt) and lamented Djedi by Guerlain (vetiver and animalic with scorched Guerlinade).

And I`d say that Sel de Vetiver and Vetiver Extraordinaire are both clean vetivers: first - soapy, second - sparkling bright.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Thank u Sergey !!!!
    i hope u have those and i hope u wanna send me sampels with our next swap !

OK, I`ll try to find the samples
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    I`d second and third Route du Vetiver MPG,
    BUT
    when someone `looking for a scent that is able to kill me by it's bitterness, sharpness and rude behaviour`,
    it`s my pleasure to suggest some Onda by Vero Kern (vetiver in animalic chypre), Fvmidvs by Profumo Durante Rome (vetiver and smoke, like an old single malt) and lamented Djedi by Guerlain (vetiver and animalic with scorched Guerlinade).

And I`d say that Sel de Vetiver and Vetiver Extraordinaire are both clean vetivers: first - soapy, second - sparkling bright.
    I agree with everything he said.
    Currently wearing: Sugi by Comme des Garšons

i ave tried Route de vativer... and guess what?
    i am realy diapointed!!!!!
    it wasn't as powerfull as i expacted it to be after reading all the good revieuws about it.

One cannot stress strong enough that when talking about RdV one must specify wether they are talking about the old or the new formulation. I am afraid that someone should sue MPG for using the same name for two fragrances standing on opposite sides of the vetiver "war". The old formulation is the dirty, earthy, smell of basement. The new is a strong but floral smell, laced with jasmin, almost sickeningly sweet. So if you tested RdV you should be able to tell which of the two it was. I had an awful experience ordering a sample and loving it, then ordering a full bottle and hating it. I was lucky enough that the people from the online shop (Aus Liebe zum Duft) recognised their mistake and sent me the rest of their original formulation tester free of charge.
    As far as the rest of the vetiver clan, VExtr. is good but has a strong rubber gloves accord, also present in LV Vetiver. Etro is boldly dark, with a coffee accord, but has poor sillage and longevity, so how can it make you feel in danger? Encre Noir has the most stupendous openning in a vetiver fragrance, that soon fades into a KenzoAir smellalike. Still one of my favourites though because i respect the way Lalique market something so out of the ordinary. SdV is nice but if you smell Montale VdS you are forced to make comparisons between the two and the latter simply shines in a golden flare compared to the timid SdV. Just ordered a full bottle of the Montale. Definately not dark but definately not tamed. It almost has flesh and blood.

Moreda - Vetiver Extraordinaire is one of the strongest vetivers I've ever tried. Another very strong vetiver is Parfumerie Generale Querelle, and behind those two is Chanel Sycomore.

Post Re: sel de vetiver VS vetiver extraordinaire

If your looking for a down, and dirty Vetiver try SMN's rendition. You will get raw earthy Bourbon Vetiver not infused with Citrus or notes that get in the way of this Vetiver. This is the sharpest Vetiver that I have ever worn, bar none. Trust me, it does have a bite.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver
    Profumum Fumidus

It's a toss-up. Both are masterpieces in their own way.

More dirty and earthy definitely vetiver extraordinaire. I largely prefer sel de vetiver though (although I like earth and dirt). On my skin VO is nearly a skin scent with a heavy rubber note. I guess it's either my skin or my nose. Just don't get ist.
    You could try Lubin le vetiver for a dirty one as well.

Sel de Vetiver seems more earthy to me, but I like them both.

I own Vetiver Extraordinaire and it`s the "creme de la creme" among vetiver scents, but if I was going to buy a new vetiver fragrance today, I think I would have choose Sel du Vetiver. IMO it has a fresh, salty, semi-dirty aura I like very much.