Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Chandler Burr Untitled S01E02

Is anyone else participating in this months offering? I was pleased to see that the size has been cut down to 30ml/$25.

https://opensky.com/chandlerburr/pro...-series-s01e02

Default Re: Chandler Burr Untitled S01E02

Sweet!

At $50, I couldn't really swing it. But at $25, I decided to jump in and buy a bottle. Yay!

(Also, for those wondering, it includes shipping)

Windblownhair- did you order one too?
    ~~Huge fan of Hermes, Jean Claude Ellena and Patricia Nicolai!~~
    http://niche-perfume-reviews.blogspot.com/ - my perfume notes

Ordered two, actually. Hubby and I are splitting the first bottle, and my mom and dad the second bottle. I am excited to see exactly how much difference body chemistry makes on a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by gvillecreative View Post
    (Also, for those wondering, it includes shipping)
    Actually, shipping is free only if your order is $75 or more. I just ordered S01E02, and the shipping for me was about $7.

Quote Originally Posted by ROtto View Post
    Actually, shipping is free only if your order is $75 or more. I just ordered S01E02, and the shipping for me was about $7.
    That is weird. My shipping was free too
    Last edited by Windblownhair; 3rd July 2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: ETA: I didn't spend $75 either.

Blog Entries

I ordered one - can't wait for it to get here!

For those who ordered last time, how long did shipping take?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Windblownhair View Post
    For those who ordered last time, how long did shipping take?
    Only took a couple of days last time - I was surprised. They're sending out tracking codes with this shipment. I figure we'll all be getting them this week or early next.

I read his latest, fullest description. I don't think I have this one in my collection, actually, but I've found a candidate fragrance, and it's something I had wanted to sniff. Either way, I intend to fully enjoy this. There are two vaguely similar fragrances that I'm familiar with - one of which is in my collection. Both were very impressive scents, so I think this one could really hit the spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody else get theirs today (Friday, 07/06/12)?

S01E02 is in the house!

Nervously, I prepare to take that first sniff.........
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 6th July 2012 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Anybody else get theirs today (Friday, 07/06/12)?

S01E02 is in the house!

Nervously, I prepare to take that first sniff.........
    Mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. What are your impressions so far?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Windblownhair View Post
    Mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. What are your impressions so far?
    I got a lot farther than I expected. I've decided to save a lot of what I want to say for later. But I'm also hoping that my mistakes may be avoided, so I'm going to talk at some length about my experiences now.

First of all, the technical details. I like it. I spent a good 8 hours sniffing it - almost blew my sinuses in the process. I really followed the scent. I wasn't really connecting it to Burr's description - mostly because I was trying to identify trees, instead of looking for the outline of the forest. No matter what I did, I just couldn't make it jibe with what Burr had said. It seemed SO wrong.

I was not getting green. I was not getting futuristic eau fraiche. I was not getting space, or glowing lights, or ANYTHING Burr was talking about. What I was getting was soft white musks in the base - a pleasant soapiness that is present throughout, a bit of spice, and a burst of nondescript citrus. I'll be honest. I was looking for notes, and *could not* change focus.

It was VERY disappointing. Not the scent - I liked it. But I was very disappointed that I couldn't see what Burr was seeing. (I did figure out later where I went wrong....)

Anyway - I decided to screw the art momentarily, and just go back to trying to figure out what it was. And no hold barred, this time.

I had no idea at first. It's similar to something I own, and I almost immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was just a maceration/age difference, like S01E01 had been. Looking back, I understand the similarity of the scents. But I wasted a LOT of time comparing it. When it became obvious it wasn't what I thought it was, I decided to check all reasonably similar works by the same author. ANOTHER huge waste of time. I sniffed a good half-dozen more scents, including some brought out of my vintage fridge. I was left looking at three scents that seemed reasonable. One was in my collection, but no - not it. Of the two left, the most reasonable one wasn't even by the same artist! At that point I figured it was time to assume it could be anybody, and go back to wildcatting. I went to bed.

The next day, I got back into some sniffs, and re-read Burr's description. I got a couple more ideas, and added them to the two scents I was going to check out. And then I headed out for a lovely day of sniffing.

BAM!

Anyway, I have a GREAT story on what happened next, but it has to wait until after the reveal. Bottom line - I am almost positive that I know what it is. If I'm right, it was something already on my FBW list that I had *almost* bought in the past, but got sidetracked. But not this time! I got lucky, actually, and found and bought a bottle, because I do like it.

Going back with what I think it is, Burr's description makes loads of sense. If so, then he is not overreaching on his assessment, either. I have to say, he has made some highly pertinent points, and I agree. Yes, yes, Yes and YES! Even though I didn't see this thing correctly at first - well, that's what curators and museum volunteers and art critics are for.

The thing that's funny, however, is that now I have more respect for everything that has been said in the process, since I know (or think I know) what it is. And THAT brings me to the conclusion that the REVEAL is the learning point. That's the teaching moment. We need to be spending more time deconstructing the reveal, so that we can THEN go back and see what we should have been noticing about the scent. We have to see where we went wrong - we have to learn by our errors.

When the reveal comes, I'll explain how I screwed up - but how in some ways I can blame it on my nose. In my opinion, this is not like a normal visit to a visual arts gallery, where we can all walk right up to the painting and see the individual hairs in the brushstrokes. For me, it's like looking from the Gallery Exit Shop, as I consider buying a replacement Bleu de Chanel lava lamp, to see what all the fuss is about, 100 feet away in the Astronomy-Influenced Modern Art Room. I can't see things clearly. I almost NEED somebody to say "Oh! They're all looking at Satellite Vine .42 by XXXXXXX. You know - it's that installation pictured on the front of today's program. The famous one that you have surely seen..............." And then I say "Oh yeah - I remember now. GOTCHA. Wow! I didn't even know that XXXXXX did stuff like that!"

So - my advice - DO NOT even try to perceive notes. Don't analyze. Experience the scent based on the short blurb in the program that Burr gave you. Try to feel the scent. Try to feel the stuff he talks about. That will take you straight to the stuff that really matters in this scent - the most important aspects of its construction - not some distortion based on identifiable notes. I really feel that his description is very fitting with my initial impressions of the scent years ago, when I knew what it was - BUT - that there are certain aspects seen more clearly now after hearing what Burr had to say.

And one more thing in that respect. There is an important aspect of this scent which is NOT normally discussed or appreciated, IMO. Burr saw it. It's a bit of a face-palm moment for everybody, when I think about it. And I think it would be great to talk about it after the reveal.

Good to read your comments, RP, and very curious about it now!

By the way, there was an interesting comment by Chandler Burr on the Open Sky page. In response to a poster who said she thinks she may have owned the fragrance, he said he doubted that for a couple of reasons, which he'd have to explain later. Adds an intriguing twist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Good to read your comments, RP, and very curious about it now!

By the way, there was an interesting comment by Chandler Burr on the Open Sky page. In response to a poster who said she thinks she may have owned the fragrance, he said he doubted that for a couple of reasons, which he'd have to explain later. Adds an intriguing twist.
    Yes, I saw that! Not knowing the poster, if it's what I think it is, I'd have to agree. And I also have a back-up possibility that is even more obscure than what I think it is.

Obscurity is relative. He may mean "you ain't gonna find it in Macy's." Or he may mean, "you ain't gonna find it, and you probably never heard of it." Not sure which one he's thinking. BNers can be remarkably persistent in finding stuff. But in any case, I don't really recall too many gals owning the one I'm thinking. And - you know - he did that to the guys on the last scent, so it's fair, I suppose.

I agree - it's an intriguing twist!

Mine just came, woohoo! I'll post my immediate impressions and hopefully have something else to add in a few days. I'm also passing a bottle along to my parents and sharing my bottle with hubby, so I should have a lot of impressions coming.

The scent definitely feels cold to me. I actually put the bottle in my fridge after I sprayed myself. The perfume reminds me of a great soap - its clean, its green, fresh. The hairs on my neck prickled and I got goosebumps - it reminded me very much to my reaction the first time I smelled Womanity, although this definitely isn't Womanity. But they do both share that same cold edge.

Aside from that, if someone said the words "Shower fresh" to me, this scent would spring to mind. Sometimes when I smell a scent on someone, I can't quite decide if the person is wearing perfume, or if they naturally smell good. This isn't a scent that I would have that problem with - although this isn't a huge, in-your-face perfume, it also isn't a "human" scent. No muskiness, earthiness, sweat, or warmth at all.

I would classify this scent as unisex. Going back to the soapiness, it feels like a really good soap that you would share.

I don't have any guesses to encode. Newbie that I am, I don't have this scent, and I wouldn't even know where to start if I were trying to find it. But I can say if this scent ever gets made into a body wash, I am totally buying it. And regardless of what the actual cost of the scent was, it was worth the $25 just to experience the scent blind.

Blog Entries

Nice impressions, Windblownhair! I think we're definitely sensing roughly the same thing.

I'm still not sure about my guesses - I'll register them soon. I'm running into the same problem as last time - minor differences that could be attributed to either insufficient maceration time, or even a (re)formulation difference.

I want to post more impressions, too. My nose seems to change it's point of view on this scent every day. But overall, the green, the soapy, and the fresh remain.

I agree - unisex. Or maybe nullsex or polysex! That's part of why I think Burr is right about the basic nature of the stuff. It has that classic eau de cologne thing - which is always kinda unisex - but it's way too modern.

Enjoyable, in any case!!!

My mom is wearing the fragrance for the first time. She says she thinks its a men's fragrance and smells some lime to it. She doesn't remember smelling it before.

The only thing I've noticed today is that while most fragrances dry down pretty sweet on me, this frangrance stays green and fresh and very full(hmmm, I don't quite know how to explain that, except to say that some fragrances become one note, and this one maintains a complex flavor.) I sprayed a bunch in my hair, and there doesn't seem to be a difference between skin scent and hair scent. They both last about the same amount of the time, too.

Blog Entries

Chayaruchama posted a review on Fragrantica, here. Interesting to compare notes (no pun intended!)

I got mine yesterday.... I'm kind of thrown by Burr's comments that the fragrance has been around for years and that the perfumer makes billions of dollars for the companies.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Furriner View Post
    I got mine yesterday.... I'm kind of thrown by Burr's comments that the fragrance has been around for years and that the perfumer makes billions of dollars for the companies.
    Yes - that kinda threw me as well - even though I agree in retrospect. Another way to phrase it that makes more sense to me as a frag-head is that the perfumer has made a bunch of moneymakers, including some big hits, but yet this scent is not among them - being neither a huge moneymaker, nor known to the general public. That doesn't necessarily mean that people who post and peruse each other's relatively obscure SOTDs on Basenotes never heard of it. In fact, I'll bet that you have.

Interestingly, when I went looking to compare S01E02 with several scents that I thought it might be, the one store I had seen my ultimate pick in, no longer had it. But I lucked out, because I dropped by a store that I rarely visit, and they had 2 bottles left. The bottle I bought had no wrapper - probably a return or a demo.

Burr's big point makes lots of sense. It's an innovative scent that - even if it never got accolades from the buying public - certainly deserves more talk than it gets. The problem is - and this is a tough admission - I don't think I would have seen that innovative character without being told what it was. The things that I was comparing it to initially were artistic, but not in the way that is ultimately apparent. I feel like a teen-ager in an art museum. If I was younger, I would react naturally, and "get it". If I was older and wiser, I would have learned to go back and sniff with a young and foolish nose. Instead, I have just enough knowledge to get myself into trouble.

Neil,

Just was going over Katie Pukrick's blog, regarding the post-reveal of the first frag, and the sorts of critiques that were there were of the sort RP mentioned : was it actually a GOOD iris or not, etc etc.

I imagine it must be a little frustrating for CB to see people missing the point, when he consistently does his best to encourage people to experience these scents in an impressionistic way.

Honestly, any Joe or Jill on the street with a sense of imagination could do that, without the slightest knowledge of notes, price, hype or brand.

Also curious that Burr selected something for his first frag that could be confused with an Elena creation, and has now backed it up with this one, which could be construed as something even more ephemeral still.

Blog Entries

Being really poor right now, I'm not participating in this, but I find it fascinating. It feels like everyone is doing what they want with the anonymous perfumes. Some people really just want to guess what they are, while others want to judge them, free from bias. Others just want to figure out what Burr thought was so special about his picks. As a person obsessed with technical thinking, I find Burr's call for people to recount their emotional reactions to the scents a bit outside of my comfort zone.

Honestly, for years now, I've been trying to figure out an affordable way to do something like this as a Basenotes thing, but I had imagined it more as a sort of blind wine tasting. Send people samples of 5 or 6 similar scents (maybe all vetivers or all GIT-inspired aquatics) and have them judge them blind based on basic criteria like longevity, strength, and quality, as well as scores for how much people liked them or found them artistically pleasing. By removing brand history, price, "niche" status, and every other prejudicial factor from the scents, I've always been curious what experienced (and not-so-experienced) sniffers would actually think.

This is what I had hoped Burr would do, but concentrating on the emotional artistry fits with his current status as a museum guy, so I suppose it makes sense...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??
    Currently wearing: Lys 41 by Le Labo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Neil,

Just was going over Katie Pukrick's blog, regarding the post-reveal of the first frag, and the sorts of critiques that were there were of the sort RP mentioned : was it actually a GOOD iris or not, etc etc.

I imagine it must be a little frustrating for CB to see people missing the point, when he consistently does his best to encourage people to experience these scents in an impressionistic way.

Honestly, any Joe or Jill on the street with a sense of imagination could do that, without the slightest knowledge of notes, price, hype or brand.

Also curious that Burr selected something for his first frag that could be confused with an Elena creation, and has now backed it up with this one, which could be construed as something even more ephemeral still.
    Yes - I also feel like I personally need to be more impressionistic. I had an idea about reviewing it more that way, and I may follow up on it.

Agreed about the "Ellenaesque" nature of these scents. It makes me wonder if artistic frags simply lean that way - or at least whether the modern ones do.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Being really poor right now, I'm not participating in this,...
    We'll see about that! PM sent!

...but I find it fascinating. It feels like everyone is doing what they want with the anonymous perfumes. Some people really just want to guess what they are, while others want to judge them, free from bias. Others just want to figure out what Burr thought was so special about his picks. As a person obsessed with technical thinking, I find Burr's call for people to recount their emotional reactions to the scents a bit outside of my comfort zone.
    Yes - it's a bit outside my comfort zone, too. More so, since my view of the scent has changed in several ways since I first smelled it. But now I'm beginning to think it's all blind guys and the elephant, and - you know - just because Chandler is calling out the trunk, doesn't mean it's not big and round, with tree-like legs and massive pokers. So I wish more people would be willing to - correctly by mere fact of honesty - see it from different perspectives.

For me, though, it's hard to get emotionally involved with a scent without some cues. I know that Chandler has given us some by his description, and I'm thankful. Perhaps those are ideas from the brief or the patron's vision - perhaps they're how Chandler sees the scent. Either way, sometimes just knowing a bit about the brief or the theme - where things were going - helps one to see the whole picture, and how it was interpreted. This is one of the most critical functions of the title of a work of art, IMO - a minimal point of entry, from which the magic of the artistry can become apparent.

Honestly, for years now, I've been trying to figure out an affordable way to do something like this as a Basenotes thing, but I had imagined it more as a sort of blind wine tasting. Send people samples of 5 or 6 similar scents (maybe all vetivers or all GIT-inspired aquatics) and have them judge them blind based on basic criteria like longevity, strength, and quality, as well as scores for how much people liked them or found them artistically pleasing. By removing brand history, price, "niche" status, and every other prejudicial factor from the scents, I've always been curious what experienced (and not-so-experienced) sniffers would actually think.

This is what I had hoped Burr would do, but concentrating on the emotional artistry fits with his current status as a museum guy, so I suppose it makes sense...
    I do like that Burr has lowered the requirements for criticism, so that really anybody can take part. You don't have to be a notehound. You just have to care.

I know that a lot of technically oriented people would like to see this done a bit more technically - and there's nothing that says Burr can't offer something like that, someday. After all, what good museum doesn't have a continuous program of ever-changing fare? I think that would be a great idea. Personally, I think this is a good place to start, and I'm glad he has made it very inclusive for his first such project.

While we're on the subject of impressions, I want to mention one of mine, which does NOT fit in with what Burr has said - but which DOES fit in with the [presumed] patron.

There is an accord in this stuff that I sensed at first, but did not "put together" from the components, so to speak. I was sniffing the individual components - not the accord. But the more time I've spent with the scent, the more I get this accord. This thing is very "patronesque", because the person I think is the patron has done something similar - but more recently than the release of this scent. I don't want to say what it is yet, but I somehow want to say something. I do not get this note in the bottle I obtained from the store. I get almost everything else, but not this note. I am REALLY looking forward to the reveal, because one way or another, I hope for resolution. Is Burr giving us the original formulation, or something approaching it? Or is it a newer one? Or am I just totally off base? AUURRGGHH!

As a person obsessed with technical thinking, I find Burr's call for people to recount their emotional reactions to the scents a bit outside of my comfort zone.
    I think a lot of people feel the same way. If you look at the OpenSky Facebook comments you will see that *very* few people dared to "go there", dispite the fact that that's what Burr is clearly asking for.

But I know what you mean. For something as clearly sensual as perfume, yet which comes in thousands of different iterations, it's hard not to be drawn to the many subjective ways a person might choose to judge them....particularly for us analytical sorts.

And yet given it's outright sensuality, I think it's more than fair inquire about people's emotional reactions.

Emotions and impression are admittedly a lot "softer", and inherently subjective as well, as far as analytical approaches go, but considering the purely sensual aspects of the thing, I believe they are every bit as legitimate, as far as one of the several "sets" of ways that a thing can be considered.

I think it's sort of like.....fragrance as a painting : an expert might analyze the brush strokes, the type of paint that may or may not have been used, the school of painting the artist comes from.....but then there's the part about the feeling the painting imparts. Which is probably what the artist himself would tell you was the main thing.

Maybe people worry that emotional impressions reveal too much of themselves ?

Parts that even they themselves may be unsure of.
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 18th July 2012 at 12:02 AM.

Blog Entries

I think a lot of people feel the same way. If you look at the OpenSky Facebook comments you will see that *very* few people dared to "go there", dispite the fact that that's what Burr is clearly asking for.

But I know what you mean. For something as clearly sensual as perfume, yet which comes in thousands of different iterations, it's hard not to be drawn to the many subjective ways a person might choose to judge them....particularly for us analytical sorts.

And yet given it's outright sensuality, I think it's more than fair inquire about people's emotional reactions.

Emotions and impression are admittedly a lot "softer", and inherently subjective as well, as far as analytical approaches go, but considering the purely sensual aspects of the thing, I believe they are every bit as legitimate, as far as one of the several "sets" of ways that a thing can be considered.

I think it's sort of like.....fragrance as a painting : an expert might analyze the brush strokes, the type of paint that may or may not have been used, the school of painting the artist comes from.....but then there's the part about the feeling the painting imparts. Which is probably what the artist himself would tell you was the main thing.

Parts that even they themselves may be unsure of.
    You've made some great points here, Bob.

Sometimes I like to process a scent by just free-form writing about it in a way that barely makes sense. I'll just take some idea that pops into my head and run with it. A lot of times, that amounts to a personification of the scent. I think the thing that is most beneficial about doing this, is that it let's me really *feel* what it is about the scent that I like. It can be hard to put a fine point on the passionate part of perfume, but if I take it to story or poetry, no matter how bad it may sound to others, it at least makes my feelings visible to me. I'm sure it seems a bit goofy and cringeable to many, but it leaves me with a deeper and more durable respect for the scents - something that I just don't get by more objective forms of reaction. And more than that, I think that it encourages others to *feel* about fragrance, which we all do, but we don't all admit. A lot of times these things just end up as fodder on my laptop, but occasionally they become reviews or blog posts.

I'm working on a reaction to S01E02 that I'll share after I clean it up a bit. But I'd encourage others to dive into the pool, even at the risk of a bit of scandalously revealing "wardrobe malfunction"! After all, who among us didn't enjoy shrieking with delight as kids at the pool, when such accidents happened to ourselves or our friends? I remember those happy days, when it was OK to feel.......

Recently received my bottle and while it isn't anything I own, I'm almost certain I know what it is. Which does nothing to diminish my delight. It's beautifully constructed, with a particular cologne-like structure that I really respond to, both on an emotional as well as aesthetic level. For years I have maintained an arsenal of these kind of citrus/green/herbal frags that I trot out during the summer months. They all have an expansive, airy quality that reminds me of sun, heat, water, salt, sand, and sweat, while at the same time serving as their cooling antidote.

Curious to read/hear what others think of it. So far, there aren't many comments on Open Sky.

What I find particularly fascinating is that people seem more concerned with the label than the juice. Everybody wants to know what the name of the scent is, and that's understandable. But I don't see many people enjoying the scent. It's almost as if people need to know the name before they can commit to what they think of the juice. So odd.

I think the idea of (re)discovering a scent without any marketing or branding to color one's opinions is brilliant. Just discovering for the sake of the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    What I find particularly fascinating is that people seem more concerned with the label than the juice. Everybody wants to know what the name of the scent is, and that's understandable. But I don't see many people enjoying the scent. It's almost as if people need to know the name before they can commit to what they think of the juice. So odd.

Yes, I'm starting to wonder if this project is doomed. It doesn't seem to have generated the kind of discussion that Burr intended; everyone's either trying to pick out notes or guess what it is, or brag that they've guessed what it is. There are few exceptions - Redneck here, and Katie Puckrik's blog for E01, but not really enough to sustain interest.

Or am I wrong? Is there someplace else where it's happening?

Yes, I'm starting to wonder if this project is doomed. It doesn't seem to have generated the kind of discussion that Burr intended; everyone's either trying to pick out notes or guess what it is, or brag that they've guessed what it is. There are few exceptions - Redneck here, and Katie Puckrik's blog for E01, but not really enough to sustain interest.

I think it needs more time, and that's fine since he's doing it for a year, isn't he? Or maybe I'm just assuming that. How long is this series going on?

I think it's going to take some time to remind people that they're actually allowed to have their own opinions, and that they can judge a scent based on the juice rather than the bottle or the name or the ridiculous advertising that always has a mostly naked man and woman, usually shot in dark lighting, often in black and white.

I own fewer than ten scents, but the current one sounds like something I'd enjoy, so I'm tempted to buy it. I was really hoping to read people's reviews of it, but like I said, most (note that I said most, not all) are afraid to commit to their own thoughts.

THIS.

I think adults are just middle schoolers in older bodies, often afraid to give opinions for fear they'll admit they like something that isn't "cool" with the in-crowd.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumePorMoi View Post
    Recently received my bottle and while it isn't anything I own, I'm almost certain I know what it is. Which does nothing to diminish my delight. It's beautifully constructed, with a particular cologne-like structure that I really respond to, both on an emotional as well as aesthetic level. For years I have maintained an arsenal of these kind of citrus/green/herbal frags that I trot out during the summer months. They all have an expansive, airy quality that reminds me of sun, heat, water, salt, sand, and sweat, while at the same time serving as their cooling antidote.

Curious to read/hear what others think of it. So far, there aren't many comments on Open Sky.
    Thanks for your comments, PPM - and welcome to Basenotes! Nice thoughts here.

Yeah, there's a lot of good to say about it. But I have to admit that I didn't see that cologne-like structure at first. Or rather, I didn't see the beauty of it. I was comparing it to an EdT that I know, and I was thinking "I like that other EdT better - this just seems like so much less." Well - that's because it's supposed to be that way. But I didn't know it. Once I knew it, I saw the scent differently. THAT bothers me. It means that I can't see the same scent reliably from a single vantage point that makes sense. Is that good or bad? Honestly, I don't know. But it's a bit frustrating.

I think the idea of (re)discovering a scent without any marketing or branding to color one's opinions is brilliant. Just discovering for the sake of the scent.
    Part of the problem, for me, is that I love to compare scents. I find it hugely useful. I measure fragrances relative to other fragrances. Unfortunately, that's a no-no here. So my normal modus operandi of analyzing scents is out of bounds.

There's also the issue of what something is supposed to be. Consider a moped. As a motorcycle, it's an epic fail. But as a bicycle, it's brilliant. Sometimes knowing what something is actually supposed to be, takes you very quickly to a point where you can pass better judgment faster. So - while I don't exactly disagree with Burr - I do ask for some sympathy, in that - we may need some hints as to just where to start with things. I suppose he did that there - in retrospect, his comments on OpenSky make sense. But they simply weren't enough for me to see this thing right at first.

I don't know of any other place where there's real discussion. It's getting mention in all kinds of places. But discussion - no.

I think Katie and Chandler may be waiting for the right moment to fire things up again. Wait for the bottles and samples to get out to everybody, and then kick-start it hard near the end. At least, that's my suspicion.

It's a learning experience, Kagey - I think that's the whole point. I'm certainly not firing on all cylinders according to his desired scenario. In fact, I'm beginning to think that I won't be doing it right until the 3rd or 4th scent. I don't know about everybody else, but I'm still getting a lot out of this. Even if everybody else give up and goes home, I'm determined to push on - even if I'm just talking to myself.

I do hope Katie gets back into it.

I sent a sample to rogalal - but it cannot go in a plane, and has to go on ground by parcel post, and they estimate that he won't get it until the 25th - so it will be close.

- - - Updated - - -

One last thought. Half of what I've ever wanted to say about this scent, I can't, without dropping spoilers. It's very frustrating. I end up just hinting at what I "would" say or "might" say or "will" say. UGH.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    There's also the issue of what something is supposed to be. Consider a moped. As a motorcycle, it's an epic fail.
    If the scent is an EDC rather than an EDT or EDP, yeah... that's a piece of information he should be providing up front. Going back to my restaurant analogy, it would be like presenting someone with an appetizer while leaving them with the impression that they're supposed to be judging a meal.

I suspect this is a learning process for Mr. Burr as well, but yeah, somebody should point that out to him. Certain details are necessary, otherwise, the scent would be improperly judged.

That's just my $0.02. Don't try to cash it in for more than it's worth

I still think this concept is brilliant! But even something brilliant can always be improved, as there's no such thing as perfection.

Blog Entries

^ Are you interested in trying it? Or anybody else who's watching and living in the greater 48 states - if you want a sample, just holler. Just send me a PM with your address. If I mail it today or tomorrow, you can probably still get it in time for the reveal.

- - - Updated - - -

Going back to my restaurant analogy, it would be like presenting someone with an appetizer while leaving them with the impression that they're supposed to be judging a meal.
    That's a good analogy. It really points out something that I don't like about my own approach to this scent, in the context of something I don't like about other people in restaurants.

When I'm traveling overseas, I try to open myself up to new, pure experience in restaurants. I just let it happen - I don't bring my American expectations with me. When I see other people getting defensive about American culinary customs not being observed, I find it more than annoying. "Don't you have Coca-Cola?" "Can I have a straw?" "Where's the ketchup?" Or worst of all, "What is this? I don't think it's cooked right!" GRRRRRR!!! I want to whack people with the backside of my passport when I see it.

Well, damn it, I feel like I'm doing exactly that, when I smell S01E02. "Don't you have something I recognize? It doesn't smell like anything I know." "Can I have more hints?" "Where's the note list?" "Is it an EdT? It doesn't feel like an EdT." And worst of all, "What is this? I don't think it's formulated right."

OY! I'm being SUCH a chumley, it's ridiculous. Somebody should tell me to go back to the United Stores of Macy's.

I'm going to make a determined effort to get S01E03 TOTALLY WRONG right off the bat, so I can just enjoy it. I'm going to announce that it's Acqua di Gio Pour Homme, I'm absolutely certain. Then I'll say no, that's not it, and I don't care what it is. Then I'll start smelling it for real.