Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default What type of scent am I missing in my collection

Hi all,

First post, so be gentle.

I have some cash, made from selling off some of my stuff on eBay, and am looking to build a collection of no more than five or six fragrances. I have chosen some already but feel that I am missing out on a couple of "sections" of the market and would need some help in deciding which ones to get. I have filled in the Wardrobe bit of my profile as best I can remember - cool feature that is!

Anyway, this is what I have and some thoughts on them and which sorts of fragrances I am looking to buy:

What I have:

Citrus:
    Acqua di Parma Colonia: I love this to bits, even if some folk have commented that it smells ye olde. I love the rose that creeps through and the citrus is very nicely done. Lasts okay, too.

Night time/Winter:
    Dior Homme Intense: Love this and like the sweet nature of it. Not for summer, I guess, but I still like the caramel like drydown and the smell is smooth and creamy whereas A*Men, for instance, has rough edges to it.

For in the Office:
    Terre d'Hermes: Loved this sing I sprayed it, though it was a close run thing between this and Cartier Declaration. The orange and pepper notes are wonderful. Light enough to wear at work but strong enough to last all day.

Classic:
    Fahrenheit: Wanted a classic but one that suited me. I guess this may become a signature scent but I really wanted something that was a bit out there. Fahrenheit is it for me. I know its a popular scent but, in my humble opinion, there is nothing out there like it and I wanted one classic scent.

What I want

A woodsy scent, maybe even a vetiver one (though I wasn't overly keen on Grey Vetiver as it was overly linear for me). Jacobs Bang Bang was nearly there but there was something about it I didn't like - maybe cardamom? Looked at wild wood but I guess that I am wanting something like Chanel Egotiste Platinum or Creed Himilaya (not that I can afford that).

A signature "do anything" for just doing my thing at home. I am toying with Chanel Bleu and Fahrenheit 34.

If I have missed something let me know.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks, Russell

Sur la Plage

Default Re: What type of scent am I missing in my collection

Welcome!

Some affordable vetivers to try:

Guerlain Vetiver
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    L'Occitane Vetyver
    Last edited by petruccijc; 2nd July 2012 at 02:59 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hi and welcome to basenotes.

You have very good taste as the ones in your collection are very good choices.

For a woodsy and smoky scent I recommend Comme des Garcons 2 Man.

Also I think a tea based scent like Gucci Pour Homme II would fit in quite well with your collection. It's unequal and stays close to you, a good smelling fragance for the office or casual use.

Check out Comme des Garcons Wonderwood. Lots of woods and some vetiver.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

You could try Le Vetiver by Lubin. Great scent!
    As an everyday scent why not try Eau de l'Occitan? Great smell!

Look into the He Wood line

Welcome!
    I like your Fahrenheit 34 (it is two degrees warmer than mine!): very nice!
    My advice: try and buy as many samples as possible: you will eventually learn what's on the market and which ones you like!

Hermes - Vetiver Tonka would cover both bases but its not one of the cheaper ones out there.

I would get kiton for men. It is the green holy grail. Kind of a cross between chanel platinum and green irish tweed.

For vetivers I'd take a look at:

Sycomore
    Comme des Garcons 2 MAN

Basenotes Member

Thanks for the quick replies!

I may be in possession of more samples than is strictly necessary!! I initially wanted something British, so got 8 samples from Geo F Trumper (almost all of them appalling - GFT was okay-ish), 10 from Truefitt and Hill (Most of which were appalling), Czech and Speake (yet to receive the 8 samples) and 10 Floris (JF and Santal were okay but the rest...). I may be coming to the desicion that us Brits don't do nice smells. Anyway, after talking to the nice lady in Fenwicks, I got samples for: Boucheron Pour Homme and Jaipur Homme (prefer the latter, Gucci Homme Sport, Gucci Homme, Dior Fahrenheit Absolute, Cartier Declaration, some Annik Goutal stuff that were mainly average (Eau de Sud was so bad I had to scrub it off!). I also got a sample of Creed Himalaya that I like lots but not worth the money over other options (Egotiste Platinum, for instance)

The He wood line - I think I smelt something called Potion that was from them?

I have tried CdG 2 Man and Like that a lot. My thoughts are that it is too similar to terre d'Hermes in more respects than not. I am thinking of going for Gurlains Vetiver as that seems to have more to it than Tom Ford's even if the first smell is, at least at first, more classic than modern. I have tried to find Sycomore but can't find it anywhere. Same with Givenchy version.

Heh heh! Fair enough, I got Fahrenheit wrong! Still, I like it a lot.

If I can find somewhere that sells them, Kiton for men or Hermes - Vetiver Tonka may be the ones to go for.

CdG Wonderwood seems like a better version of Bang Bang but still undecided.

Eau de l'Occitan I haven't seen up here but will try it.

Russell

Hi and welcome!

Sycomore would be my recommendation as well. You need to get to a Chanel boutique to sample it. Selfridge's or Harrods being your best bets. It's definitely worth sampling even if you're on a budget. I like TdH a lot and think it fits nicely in a collection along side it.

Granted you are on a budget, but you can find some Creeds a lot cheaper than you think. I would look on fragrance net and cheapsmells - specifically MI or Aventus, based on your current choices (I have similar tastes to you and yes I hated anything from Annik Goutal as well!).

Some of the Trumpers are worth looking at like Eucris or GFT and T&H have several good ones too - West Indian Limes and Grafton. Neroli by C&S may also be suited as well.

I'm sure I could come up with more for you given some more time... but try those and let us know how you get on!

Sound Scents

Terre de Bois by Miller Harris is worth a look.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

An incense perhaps - Full Incense by Montale

Quote Originally Posted by russraff View Post

The He wood line - I think I smelt something called Potion that was from them?
    Yes, but their other 4 bottles for men have woods and vetiver notes.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    An incense perhaps - Full Incense by Montale
    If you can still find somewhere that sells them still... :-)

I should have also suggested getting something else from AdP. I love the range and have always owned a bottle of Colonia but Essenza is also good as is the wonderful Blue Med range. I'm just discovering this and particularly like the Mirto di Panarea.

Looking at your wardrobe, it is quite small, but definitley some quality fragrances in there. I would say, if you are looking for a high quality vetiver, reasonably priced, go with Encre Noire. for woods, try Tam Dao, a great blend of sandalwood (or arguably dominated with Iso E) and cedar.. many complain on its longevity but it lasts all day on my skin.

+1 for Gucci Pour Homme II. The sillage is great, I always get compliments wearing that stuff.

As far as the British frags go, one of my all-time favorites is Eucris by Geo F. Trumper. Did you try it? More of a winter-time scent, but it smells so natural, classic and masculine. A masterpiece, imo.

If you like Creed Himalaya but can't afford it, I will suggest Paco Rabanne XS. It smells nearly identical to Himalaya (in fact I think I prefer the XS).

Good luck and let us know what you settle on!
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Acqua di Parma Colonia is a long time favourite of mine - great stuff.

Good suggestions above - check out Tiffany for Men at any major Tiffany store if you can - it's not dear, also comes in 50 & 100ml. Also, Santal Noble (MPG) is still my favourite woods - but you'll need to order in, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    For vetivers I'd take a look at:

Sycomore
    Comme des Garcons 2 MAN
    Chech these two ^^^ and Vettiveru.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

+1 on Encre Noir, dry heavy vetiver and woods. Strong elegant scent and great price!

Basenotes Member

Okay, then. Some thoughts.

Jesus! Chanel Sycomore isn't exactly cheap! Luckily Fenwicks is a Chanel boutique so they do have it for £105 100ml!! I guess quality is expensive but wasn't expecting that.
    Encre Noir I have seen but the tester bottle was broke in Heathrow T5 so I don't know what is smells like. Can't find anywhere local that stocks it so I will wait until I travel with work, again, as it seems to be quite popular.
    Acqua di Parma are a good brand, to my nose at least, but the makeup of the original Colonia are too clear in the other variants of the Yellow Line. The Blues have some class, too, but I am not sure if I want another overtly citrus scent when I have the original. This is a frustrating thing; every time I smell a nice citrus scent I always think "I have Colonia and that's a bit better."

I will have a test of some of the ones mentioned, here, this weekend and post back on what I have found. Hopefully my eBay sales will have gone through to help fund these new acquisitions. I am leaning towards:
    CdG 2Man and Encre Noir (if I can find it) for the woodsy notes but is Terre d'Hermes too close to 2Man (in that I'd wear either for the same reason)? Sycomore is a bit too expensive, but I may ask for a test.
    For the, for want of a better term "standard" scent I will have another look at Chanel Bleu and Egotiste Platinum as well as Declaration Essence and maybe Creed GIT as it seems to be going cheap on fragrance net. Blue AdP line will get another visit, too.

I got the Czech and Speake samples today and most of them are... unfortunate.

Russell

Banned

Try:

Story by Paul Smith - One is initially treated to a blast of a lemony and slightly peppery, citric accord. The herbal and faintly woody aspects of ivy leaf intrude upon and commingle with this sparkling citrus, providing a crisp, leafy opening, which saunters to the awaiting middle. Here, in the heart, a floral potion from the sweet jasmine and cardboard-like mustiness of rose leaf tempers the jarring opening, and transitions to the welcoming base. An altering melange of grass-like and clean vetiver, white musk, with its laundered-linen illusion, as well as a rugged, mineral amber coalesce. With an errant metallic and faintly minty something fluttering about, the dry woodiness of cedar squires the cleanly mix to a refreshing drydown. This light and fresh composition has good projection and longevity, and will bloom in the spring, summer and fall. A very nice fragrance which can be had rather inexpensively.

&

Basenotes Member

Well, I found 100ml Encre Noir for £34 online, so I am swinging for that. I know its blind, but reading the thoughts of folk on here and watching a couple of videos on youtube (one guy loved it) I am guessing this is right for me. I will post my thoughts vs Grey Vetiver once I get it.

Still tempted by Chanel Egotiste Platinum or similar for a more everyday scent for my last one. But I want a scent that has balms and such like, too, and I am not so sure that Chanel do for Platinum.

Russell

Cool Re: What type of scent am I missing in my collection

Aw, hell just look in my wardrobe for the 5 star scents

The Vetiver recommendations just keep pouring in---and they're good.

Come to think of it, check them both out in the reviews section.

I had to laugh at your comments re British scents. I share your lack of enthusiasm for the ones offered by the three T's--I really like their shaving creams but as far as fragrances?

Stick to Acqua di Parma Colonia!

BTW, I wonder if C&Z sent you a sample of Cuba. That's a 5 star for me along with the EDC of the original Alfred Dunhill (1934)

There truly are some great Brit scents--you just have to find them.

I suggest you join The Coneheads group here. They do talk a great deal about wood scents

Cheers,

And Welcome to the madness

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Sycomore is definitely the way to go when looking for a vetiver. This one is by far the best vetiver based fragrance out there on the market IMO.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Aplle Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by russraff View Post
    Jesus! Chanel Sycomore isn't exactly cheap! Luckily Fenwicks is a Chanel boutique so they do have it for £105 100ml!! I guess quality is expensive but wasn't expecting that.
    Encre Noir I have seen but the tester bottle was broke in Heathrow T5 so I don't know what is smells like. Can't find anywhere local that stocks it so I will wait until I travel with work, again, as it seems to be quite popular.
    Acqua di Parma are a good brand, to my nose at least, but the makeup of the original Colonia are too clear in the other variants of the Yellow Line. The Blues have some class, too, but I am not sure if I want another overtly citrus scent when I have the original. This is a frustrating thing; every time I smell a nice citrus scent I always think "I have Colonia and that's a bit better."

I will have a test of some of the ones mentioned, here, this weekend and post back on what I have found. Hopefully my eBay sales will have gone through to help fund these new acquisitions. I am leaning towards:
    CdG 2Man and Encre Noir (if I can find it) for the woodsy notes but is Terre d'Hermes too close to 2Man (in that I'd wear either for the same reason)? Sycomore is a bit too expensive, but I may ask for a test.
    For the, for want of a better term "standard" scent I will have another look at Chanel Bleu and Egotiste Platinum as well as Declaration Essence and maybe Creed GIT as it seems to be going cheap on fragrance net. Blue AdP line will get another visit, too.
    Sycomore is indeed that expensive, BUT if you travel from Heathrow you can get it slightly discounted at the Chanel boutique in terminal 3. Someone once mentioned that they had them temporarily in T5 but that was a while ago.

See entirely what you mean by AdP and Colonia being almost like a signature citrus scent. I have experienced exactly what you say. Not all the blue ones are good - tried the almonds yesterday and that was awful - too feminine. But the Mirto and Fico were ok.

TdH is a must try whereas GIT is so bland and boring, you needn't bother.
    Last edited by rum; 5th July 2012 at 11:36 PM.

Basenotes Member

Well, I got the Encre Noir in the post today and just sprayed it. To be honest, this isn't anywhere near as potent as TdH or Fahrenheit. Of all the scents I have had its likely to be the lightest and "weak" smelling scents I have had. After spraying on my hand I can't really smell anything until my nose touches my hand. Not to say I don't like it; I do. I just think that it could be a bit more potent. Maybe I have a duff bottle. Or a fake?? From Cheap Scents?

Russell

I don't know if it's old or fake. But If you read most of the reviews and comments they have different story. It is strong and lasts a good ten hours on my skin. I don't wear it as a everyday/signature scent. Just when I'm in the mood for that heavy dry woods and vetiver.
    How do you like the smell so far?

Basenotes Member

I have decided to sell it on fleabay. I just can't believe that anyone thinks this is a worthwhile purchase. It's dull, lifeless, weak and has zero scent progression. I guess I have found the antithesis of what I like (aqua di Parma and Fahrenheit are likely my faves).

Or a fake?? From Cheap Scents?
    If you mean CheapSmells, they're pretty reliable and extremely unlikely to sell fakes.
    Alan

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    If you mean CheapSmells, they're pretty reliable and extremely unlikely to sell fakes.
    Yeah, I ought to follow that up. I got some samples of Encre Noir from the UK distributor and the CheapSmells bottle is indeed genuine. I suspected that it was as I have used CS for a while, just that Encre Noir is a very odd scent so I guess that took me by surprise.

Russell