Code of Conduct

Default Can a young man pull off Havana? Recommendations/advice for a newcomer?

As I am almost completely new to the world of scent, I was wondering if anybody can be of assistance to me...

I am a 24 year old Canadian man, but I don't want my relative youth to define me, especially as I am fairly oblivious to current fashions and trends! I would prefer to project a more masculine image...

The one and only scent that I have worn over the past 6 years is "vintage" Dolce & Gabbana PH.
    (Therefore, for my entire adult life...)

I wouldn't, however, go so far as to call it my signature scent, because I never wore it frequently enough for colleagues/casual acquaintances to recognize it. (My workplace is also scent free, and numerous people I know have allergies so I have avoided daily cologne use.)

With that said, I have always gotten copious amounts of compliments when I do wear the old D&G. I just don't feel that it is distinctive enough for me. I understand that it is a popular fougere, but what I most like about it are the tobacco notes. Apparently, the new formulation has largely removed the tobacco; now I especially have zero interest in wearing this more citrusy version when my current stockpile runs out.

I have taken a liking to bay rum, and I plan to adopt it as my regular aftershave. I absolutely love the spiciness. This has led me to consider a spicy cologne for regular use, though it will predominantly be a night time fragrance.

Of all the options I have considered, Havana by Aramis really stands out. Unfortunately, I have never smelled it before and I know for a fact that it is not sold locally. Therefore, I have nothing to rely upon except perhaps a few knowledgeable people on Basenotes!

I love the descriptors - especially the aforementioned tobacco and bay rum - but I have seen a lot of people describe it as a bold and mature scent. I'm just wondering if I can pull it off?

I consider myself a strong individual, and though I do not necessarily conform to any macho standards I do not just want a light breezy product with mass appeal and a celebrity endorsement. (I am in a long-term relationship, so I do not need to try and "attract" women or anything; though I hope my girlfriend would not banish me from wearing it! We do not always have the same tastes...)

Long story short, does this fragrance require a few more years under my belt or should I just go for the blind buy? I am leaning towards a purchase in the next week or two to take advantage of the summer weather...

Any other appropriate suggestions, recommendations?

Banned

Default Re: Can a young man pull off Havana? Recommendations/advice for a newcomer?

Hey delamain, I like your post and judging from your scent preferences so far I would predict that Havana may very much be your thing. I personally don't find the scent mature at all - rather full of an "energy flux" that mobilizes all kinds of strong, colourful ingredients and therefore is suited for any kinds of adventurous, sprightly people. I for myself haven't experienced Havana as typical sillage-monster: Few sprays may create a discreet aura.

Sound Scents

Default Re: Can a young man pull off Havana? Recommendations/advice for a newcomer?

You should have no problem pulling it off. It is a great scent, btw.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

Also don't think age should deter anyone from wearing any scent.

Thank you all for the comments...

Candide, a strong yet "discreet aura" is what I'm after, if that is not a contradiction in terms. I do not want people to be completely bowled over by my fragrance from afar, but I would like those who are close enough to be intrigued and to sense a certain complexity. It sounds like judicious use of Havana may do the trick... (I like your descriptions, by the way! You have distilled multiple reviews into a pithy line or two.)

drseid, I appreciate the encouragement. Havana does seem very appealing, I'm happy to hear some more personal opinions...

hednic, your approach is a wise one. I generally know what I like when I encounter it, and I tend to run with it from there. When dealing with something costly like untested scents, though, I suppose I am a little more cautious and more inclined to consider things such as "suitability". You are right though, I shouldn't limit myself with such considerations! It could be perfect for my style and body chemistry, for all I know... I will extend that thought to my exploration of other colognes - I am particularly interested in seeking out some "classics" from decades past that still have something left to offer...

I think I will definitely proceed with the Havana purchase in the coming days.

With that said, everyone please feel free to provide your current opinions of Havana and any other recommendations that you may have for me...

Have you smelled any in the Aramis line? What are some other frags you like?
    I dont think you age should stop you from wearing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Have you smelled any in the Aramis line? What are some other frags you like?
    I dont think you age should stop you from wearing anything.
    Heperd, I'm sorry - I know I am being really vague but I simply do not know much at all about fragrances. (I live in a small city where there are few places to test or even buy products for men.) As I said, I have exclusively worn vintage Dolce & Gabbana PH for several years. It is nice, but it still leaves something to be desired. It seems a little too "safe" for me now. When I want something really casual I can just wear Bay Rum or Shulton-era Old Spice; but when I want to wear a cologne, I'd like something more distinctive and powerful than the D&G.

Havana seems to fit the bill, at least on paper... I have never smelled the original Aramis, nor have I tried any other products from that line.

Would you recommend Aramis itself?

It sounds pretty intriguing; leathery/woodsy scents are appealing to me, in general, though I do not know any "chypres" offhand, nor can I identify that "mossy" scent. Bergamot, clove, patchouli, sandalwood, and vetiver are all notes that I recognize and enjoy, but it is anyone's guess if I will like Aramis itself.
    Reviewers really throw the "mature" label around this one... With that said, I have no qualms being associated with a classic.

Tuscany also seems quite pleasant, but it seems a little more subdued. (Not that that's always a bad thing)
    Numerous reviewers also say not to bother with the reformulated scent. Do you agree?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    .... don't think age should deter anyone from wearing any scent.
    This ^^^^

&

Can only confirm what has been so aptly said before: age should never be an obstacle in pulling off any scent.

You have chosen well. While I'm sure there will be other choices in the future, you won't regret this one.

I feel very confident about Havana, now... I look forward to purchasing it soon! I will provide some follow up when I actually get my hands on a bottle.

I may be getting the original Aramis first, however. I was buying from a certain vendor on eBay when I saw that they had it among their other listings for a decent price. That way I can take advantage of combined shipping...

Those who like Havana - what is your attitude towards Aramis itself?

I'm a bay rum fan myself. I have all kinds ranging from Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum to Dominica and Ogalla. I don't smell bay rum in Aramis Havana honestly. It still has that Aramis vibe to it, which isn't exactly youthful, but I don't think it's too mature for a 20 something to pull off. I'm not a fan at all of the original Aramis, but I think Havana is ok. That being said, vintage D&G PH is one of my faves and I personally think it's a better fragrance. I haven't met many that actually wear it, so it's not very common. Havana is pretty nice to wear after a wet shave and splash of real bay rum.

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Any user of scent can "pull off" any scent he or she chooses.

Enjoy your fragrances without regard to gender or marketing! It is the credo of many at Bsenotes: If you like it, wear it.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Once you spend a little time with PH, your other bottles will become green with envy.... and age!

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I'm a bay rum fan myself. I have all kinds ranging from Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum to Dominica and Ogalla. I don't smell bay rum in Aramis Havana honestly. It still has that Aramis vibe to it, which isn't exactly youthful, but I don't think it's too mature for a 20 something to pull off. I'm not a fan at all of the original Aramis, but I think Havana is ok. That being said, vintage D&G PH is one of my faves and I personally think it's a better fragrance. I haven't met many that actually wear it, so it's not very common. Havana is pretty nice to wear after a wet shave and splash of real bay rum.

I'm definitely going to get Dominica and the Ogallala sampler pack in the near future; I'll also get St. Johns if I can find a source... (Though I love cloves, there is something offputting to me about the descriptions of the Pinaud version)

Vintage D&G isn't a bad fragrance by any means, but I have tired of it. I'm just looking to explore some different notes, that's all. Not to mention that since it is long reformulated, I have no more supply and no more reliable channels to score any of the "good" D&G.

It's not really important to me if there is a bay rum accord in Havana, but I will be pleased if they are complementary to each other - something that you seem to agree with!

Thanks for the feedback...

- - - Updated - - -

Good advice, all...

Cool Re: Can a young man pull off Havana? Recommendations/advice for a newcomer?

I have a feeling you'll really enjoy Havana from everything you've written.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

If you like it, go for it!

I don't quite understand this extreme timidity of the younger generation about wearing "mature" scents. Twenty-four used to be very grown up. My dad was twenty-four when I was born and his younger sister already had a two-year-old and a one-year-old by then. Most people in his set from university were married and had started a family by twenty-two (he was married at twenty while still in school). Twenty-five was already quite old. Thirty was ancient.

My father always wore Old Spice, by the way, and I assume he started in high school.

Personally, I would say sixteen is quite old enough to wear Havana. But really, if you like a fragrance, why not wear it?

I see no problem or contradiction between age and scent.

It does have a mature vibe but it is a great tobacco frag and should be easy to pull off.