Code of Conduct

Default Diptyque Philosykos vs. Marc Jacobs for Men.

Hey Guys:

I just did a review of Diptyque Philosykos on my Youtube channel. I basically thought that for the price and what you get out of it, the fragrance really isn't so great. I like the smell, but it seems to last about 2 hours and that's with many sprays to the neck and shirt. Anyway, I recommended that fig lovers check out Marc Jacobs for Men if they want a better value. One of my subscribers and a fellow reviewer on Youtube thought that Marc Jacobs lasted about 5 minutes and Philosykos lasted a long time. I was wondering how the basenote community felt about these 2 head to head. Seems like Diptyque is really popular here on basenotes, which is a bit shocking, since they don't seem to jump very far off the skin. I believe Eau Duelle does quite well in this regard, but I can't say the same for Philosykos. Any thoughts out there?

Default Re: Diptyque Philosykos vs. Marc Jacobs for Men.

I love Diptyque Philosykos and would take it any day over Marc Jacobs for Men. Just my choice.

I haven't sampled either, personally, but from what I've read Philosykos is the fig tree and MJ the fig.
    Looking for Hermessence Ambre Narguile and for TFPB Moss Breches (50ml bottle), willing to pay in cashdollars. PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
    I haven't sampled either, personally, but from what I've read Philosykos is the fig tree and MJ the fig.
    I'll agree with that. Philosykos starts off like a branchy limb and slowly gets sweeter as the fig itself blends in. MJ gets right down to business and starts off sweeter. Therefore, Philosykos may come across as much more green and natural.

I have 24 hours of wear out of Philosykos, and I have good projection with it as well. Further, the simplicity and directness it offers are luxurious and not pushy. Marc Jacobs is nice for sure, but it doesn't have the magic of effortless taste that Philosykos has for me. Marc Jacobs seems loud in comparison, sweet in comparison, and to borrow a color, "whiter" "more blanched" than the green calmness of Philosykos.

They're both fig scents and they're similar, but you can't get one by buying the other. You can't get the same feeling by wearing either.

My experience anyway.

On Diptyques in general, I mean it seriously, I have superior duration from no matter which one I wear. I've been wearing them for over ten years. I guess other people have different experiences, but I'd be a fool if I didn't try to help out by telling everyone about mine.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

From the two, definitely Philosykos.

Sur la Plage

Philosykos by many miles.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th February 2011 at 03:27 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

I wore Marc Jacobs for years (pre-Basenotes) and I remember liking it but I never could quite put my finger on something I disliked about it. Then I realized - it was just too heavy-handed in it's sweetness and because of this the fig smells too much like coconut. Whereas, with the Philosykos, it's a much greener (and less sweet) fig - there seems to be a lot more space between the notes for the scent to breathe and feel sheer and airy.

I think a more fair, and evenly matched fig-to-fig comparison is Philosykos to Premier de Figuier by L' Artisan Parfumeuer (seeing as Olivia Giacobetti is the perfumer who did both).
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I love Marc Jacobs, so I've got to try Diptyque Philosykos. BTW I get a ton of longevity out of MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Philosykos by many miles.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    ....Marc Jacobs is nice for sure, but it doesn't have the magic of effortless taste that Philosykos has for me. ....
    +1.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

neither one lasts very long, both overrated.

Figues et Garcons is the fig god!

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Basenotes Plus

No contest. Philosykos is far and away the superior fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I'll agree with that. Philosykos starts off like a branchy limb and slowly gets sweeter as the fig itself blends in. MJ gets right down to business and starts off sweeter. Therefore, Philosykos may come across as much more green and natural.
    Agree with both. Philosikos smells more natural, while MJ is a bit too syntethic. And perhaps sweeter as well... As far as longevity is concerned, they are pretty much the same on my skin, that is about 3 hours with a couple of sprays.
    l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Prefer Philosykos. MJ was a big fig slap that I couldnt appreciate, whereas Philosykos is fig to me and freshly-turned earth (some reviews say cut grass -- I get the earth beneath it). Oh and somehow Philosykos reminds me of Lush's Breath of God, another intriguing fragrance.

Philosykos.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 25th November 2013 at 07:35 PM.

I own both and its Philosykos, HAND DOWN, ALL-DAY, LIGHTS OUT.

MJ is good, which is to say it does not smell like crap, but Philosykos is on a whole other level.

Philosykos by a landslide, especially since they've added the Eau de Parfum with much better longevity.

I get crappy longevity out of both the edt and the edp. Unfortunate because I really enjoy the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacos View Post
    Philosykos by a landslide, especially since they've added the Eau de Parfum with much better longevity.
    +1. Anyway, MJM sucks

none.

Jardins de Kerylos
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garons man 2

Diptyque Philosykos in EDP. Best fig scent for me.

Φιλόσυκος is the only one I know of the two, but I think it would be very hard to beat for reasons already given.

I have not tried Marc Jacobs, but I do own Philosykos, and have to agree with you on the longevity. I get about 4-5 hours, so it's not great, but I just love the scent so much that I don't care. It is an amazing leafy/branchy blend with some figs throughout. It smells as if you are walking through a grove of fig trees. I have tried Heely Figuier and L'Artisan Premier Figuier, but I just love the leafyness of Philosykos more.

Guys, keep in mind that the OP was asking this question almost 3 years ago now Hopefully he's made a decision between the two!

My 2c: Philosykos is quite ephemeral (a couple of hours), but the Marc Jacobs is one of the weakest scents I've ever tried—10-15 minutes and it's pretty much toast. Which is a shame as it's not bad.