Code of Conduct

Thread: Eau de Baux

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Eau de Baux

Anyone try this? What's your opinion?

What frag would you compare this to?

Default Re: Eau de Baux

I would consider this to be a tamer version of Tobacco Vanille. The Myrtle in this one takes the place of the tobacco in TV. I think this one is fantastic especially for the price point.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Aplle Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

noirdrakkar, this is an excellent sweetish, nutty, spicy, incensy fragrance that has garnered a lot of attention on basenotes lately (see the three threads pasted below, two of which compare Eau des baux to Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille or Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille)

I can't offer any helpful comparison comments, but I do find it a versatile, comforting, and lovely scent of tremendous value (got mine for about $10/oz).

Cheers, Grungevig

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/261...Double-Vanille
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/234...e-Eau-des-Baux
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/251...ne-Eau-De-Baux
    Last edited by Grungevig; 3rd July 2012 at 08:25 PM.

It's an excellent fragrance and shares some similarities with Burberry London, Tobacco Vanille, and Gucci Pour Homme. Not too expensive and really something to look forward to in the fall and winter.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    I would consider this to be a tamer version of Tobacco Vanille. The Myrtle in this one takes the place of the tobacco in TV. I think this one is fantastic especially for the price point.
    ^ my thoughts exactly. at ~50$ for 3.4oz retail, its great value. And that drydown is beautiful.

I really wish it had a little less incense, but that's just because I'm not a big fan of incense... I'd still think Eau De Baux was superb at twice the price they're charging. As Grungevig said, there's something very comforting about it, and for $50, it's a steal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    Wow! Eau de Baux is tamer than Tobacco Vanille? I haven't had the chance to smell TV yet. Can you explain how the two scents compare or differ?

A wonderful fragrance IMO.

I agree with the Tobacco Vanille comparison, less vanilla, less tobacco, less gourmand, and more of a spicy oriental. It also reminds me of Spicebomb mixed with Eau Duelle, mixed with Vanille Galante.

Eau de Baux is my favorite winter scent, layered with Diesel Zero Plus for Men during the holidays for added festivity. It's great tobacco vanilla, probably sweeter than Spicebomb though. Keep an eye out for coupons from drugstore/beauty.com if in the USA. This scent can be had for just over $40 when combined with a coupon.

Hm, last time I tried it, it was a sickly sweet plastic vanilla. I should give it another try in the cold weather...

This is a very pleasant scent which I will be buying in the next few weeks at the Occitane store. Aside from the smell, there are lots of associations with that extraordinary romantic ruin in Provence, Les Baux.

In structure it is similar to Hynose Homme and La Nuit de l'Homme - top notes of woods and base notes of amber or vanilla. It smells different than those, but in the ballpark. Baux has a very good cedar heart that is my favorite part. I find it to be very sweet in the base and nearly a straight-up vanilla, but a good quality one. Your opinion of vanilla is key to your appreciation of EdB, in my opinion. It is very good, but not for me.

I think it has potential but the quality wasn't there. L'Occitane is an interesting line but they fall short.

I like the cedar parfum they have but like most things in life longevity is an issue.

Much more woodsy than TV. A lovely fragrance.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Over rated. As Katie Puckrick said, this is a straight-ahead, linear "mall amber".

And when 3 or 4 of a dozen positive responses tell you how cheap it is - well, that sums it up right there.

If you are a fan of Tobacco vanille, Spicebomb, light incense fragrances, amber, or vanilla your going to like it. It's great value for the money and well worth sampling if you ever see a L'Occitane.

My review: I've got a "vintage" bottle of this, and I get too much vanilla. It also "blobs up" a bit, which I don't generally like. I get little wood or incense. As I was wearing it, for the first few hours, I was thinking that this is like training wheels for Tobacco Vanille, though there's no tobacco here. TV has simple but effective contrast between the vanilla and tobacco, whereas this fragrance is more of a scent than a perfume or personal fragrance, with little contrast or dynamism. If you are wearing it to impress others, it may work fine, but I don't view this as an aficionado fragrance. It lasts a long time with moderate projection ("sillage"), with one spray to the chest. I think that two sprays would have resulted in a cloying quality, but I don't think I'll ever be inclined to see if that is the case. If I want an incense fragrance that is not dry/woody, I'll reach for Messe de Minuit. As I said, this is like training wheels for those kinds of fragrances, which I no longer require, but relative to designer fragrances of this type it's certainly a cut above.

This one quickly grows bombastic. Vanilla incense on steroids.

Banned
    Blog Entries

IMO, Vanilla is a great note, however, when the vanilla is too strong to the point where it is dominant, the scent gets cloying. Too many frags do this. With this in mind, if Eau De Baux is too sweet, I may not want it.

Price is not a concern to me.

If it's a scent that is amazingly good, I would easily pay a lot of money.
    But buying a somewhat good scent just because its $50 and see that 5 years later, I haven't used more than 15% of it, then it's a waste.

I'll prob get a 10ml decant

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    IMO, Vanilla is a great note, however, when the vanilla is too strong to the point where it is dominant, the scent gets cloying. Too many frags do this. With this in mind, if Eau De Baux is too sweet, I may not want it.

But buying a somewhat good scent just because its $50 and see that 5 years later, I haven't used more than 15% of it, then it's a waste.

It's really not that sweet, in fact, I get more spice than anything. It's gonna be my SOTD today, I am wearing some to sleep too. To me, the cardamom/pepper/woods are most pronounced, with a campfire like vanilla similar to Tobacco Vanille's in the background. I am quite impressed with the quality of it, I look forward to sampling more from this house in the future.

It's a huge ripoff of Spicebomb! Seriously, Hector and Ralph should sue L'Occitane.

But seriously, Eau de Baux is good stuff. I see the similarity to TV and Gucci PH II after it dries down. It's pretty cheap too. $50 for a 3.4 oz.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Banned
    Blog Entries

You mean Victor and Rolf?

Lovely scent and seems to last reasonably well, which was my only worry.

You mean Victor and Rolf?
    Yeah, that's part of the joke.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

It's quite nice, especially if you like highly vanillic and woody orientals. Fans of this style of fragrance should definitely check it out.
    Personally I didn't find it original or interesting enough or the quality high enough to warrant a full bottle.
    For example, I'm happier with the drydown of Opium pH Edt when I'm in the mood for this sort of experience.

I really enjoy it, but I find it a bit synthetic and rubbery at times.

also, a quick search would have returned about 1000 threads on this topic man. This fragrance is no stranger to BN.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

This sounds like something that I might like. However, every time I go to the mall I keep forgetting to stop at the L'Occitane store to try it out! It's definitely on my list of "must try" though.

I've used some L'Occitane products in hotels before and generally like their stuff.

I'd probably compare this to Spicebomb. I can see TV comparisons, but much prefer Ford's offering. It just smells more high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Over rated. As Katie Puckrick said, this is a straight-ahead, linear "mall amber".

And when 3 or 4 of a dozen positive responses tell you how cheap it is - well, that sums it up right there.
    You make it sound like she slammed it. She raved about it. I get the feeling she used the word 'mall' because L'Occitane is a mall shop, rather than being something you'd find at fragrance counters. I actually wish Sephora sold EdB because I'd love to get a sample I could wear for a few days since this is one I'm debating buying. I think it's excellent, I just haven't decided if it's something I'd wear.

Many of the reviews talking about how cheap EdB is, including Katie Puckrik, point out that it holds its own against niche fragrances at only $50 for 100ml rather than $200+.

Wonderful and a value! Shaving items are also good.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The "mall scent" idea is interesting. In my latest blog post, I talk about what I call amateur fragrances, and to me, that is what Eau des Baux is, not that it's "bad." However, it seems that the perfumer didn't know how to get the scent to loosen up over time. By contrast, "mall scents" like Cordovan or Black Walnut, while not "perfect," come across as "professional" efforts. Perfumers sometimes have tight budgetary constraints, but it's certainly possible to avoid the amateur "blob" type frag, from what I've experienced in my sampling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post

I don't understand this at all. A fragrance's cost is an important consideration for many on this forum. A review that praises a fragrance's smell and subjective affordability would likely be helpful to all except those who categorically avoid inexpensive fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Grungevig View Post
    I don't understand this at all. A fragrance's cost is an important consideration for many on this forum. A review that praises a fragrance's smell and subjective affordability would likely be helpful to all except those who categorically avoid inexpensive fragrances.
    Co-sign

I like EdB and I wear it (I'm wearing it today.) It's potent, long-lasting, attractive, and, as everyone has pointed out, dirt cheap. These are all admirable qualities.

With that said, I think it's more of an air freshener than a perfume. It's not something that you wear, it's something that emits from you, quite unchanged, whether it's on skin or fabric or just sprayed on the couch. Smells the same on everyone. While it doesn't lack richness, it does, IMO, lack subtlety and gracefulness. If it were a man, he would be good-looking, have perfect teeth, dress head to toe in Eddie Bauer, and he would laugh at everyone's jokes even though he doesn't understand a single one of them. It's more friendly and hearty and appealing-to-everyone than any other scent in my wardrobe and absolutely the perfect thing to wear to holiday parties. But the instant I want mystery or intelligence, I look elsewhere.

did a blind buy and bought the bodywash but have not used it yet it is spicy vanilla oriental type bordering on gourmand...i am afraid if i use it it as a bodywash becuse i might not be able to controll the projection/sillage if it turns out to be to strong as compared to controlled sprays via an EDT/EDP
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

While i find spicebomb to be superior, i do not know that i find it nearly twice as superior for the money. that said, the next time im near a l'occitan ill probably be leaving with a bottle of this. it may (or may not, ive never owned it) be a bit linear, but the rails youre riding on arent bad at all.

for whatever its worth, unless someone has a revulsive response to slight sweetness or vanilla, you arent going to go wrong with this.

Hello! I'm new here but have been lurking for a while.

I have this fragrance. I love the pipe tobacco note. I had purchased other L'Occitane frags prior to this one but this is by far my favorite. I also have Michael Kors for Men and they are somewhat similar.

I actually prefer eau de baux to tobacco vanille.

I find it very similar to Chergui. Surprised no one else has mentioned this one.

Amazing beautiful fragrance this is. Plus it's crazy cheap $50!!!!! Are you kidding me....

I can't wait for it to really get cold so I can really break this bad boy out. Dec 3rd and 71 degrees in the Southeast US is just ridiculous!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thural View Post
    If it were a man, he would be good-looking, have perfect teeth, dress head to toe in Eddie Bauer, and he would laugh at everyone's jokes even though he doesn't understand a single one of them. It's more friendly and hearty and appealing-to-everyone than any other scent in my wardrobe and absolutely the perfect thing to wear to holiday parties.
    LOL. Love this. I've never smelled the scent, but this paints a very vivid picture for me.

This is a great fragrance. Apart from Tobacco Vanille I get vibes of CK One Shock, Spicebomb and London. Don't let the cheaper price tag fool you, its a pretty good scent which comes at a bargain price.

Folks, do not try this in warm weather. The vanilla turns into blowtorch projection in warm weather. It is a far tamer scent during in cold months. I never wear it in the summer.

All the above comparisons are valid.

It's an awesome scent. Anyone who likes gourmands, woody orientals, or spicy orientals should own a bottle, given it's incredible price point to quality ratio.

...vanilla-ashtray, or better: ashtray-vanilla...say Tea for Two, sweetened up by vanilla and without the tea. I don't like it (as I don't like Tea for Two)!

I've done a full 180 on this fragrance. I used to love it, but now it smells like band-aids to me and the strength of the fragrance leaves a lot to be desired.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Pretty sad that now a days a $50.00 frag is "cheap"
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Absolutely agree with you. Since when is $50.00 "cheap?" Especially considering that the majority of the frags made today have such poor sillage and longevity.

This one is not bad. Spicey with a vanilla swag going on. A little medicinal in the initial spray. Did you ever get the 10ml decant? How did you like this one?
    Last edited by sjg3839; 9th December 2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    I've done a full 180 on this fragrance. I used to love it, but now it smells like band-aids to me and the strength of the fragrance leaves a lot to be desired.
    I've kind of grown tired of this also. I've been wearing CK One Shock and actually have grown to like this more than Eau Des Baux and Spicebomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanky View Post
    Your opinion of vanilla is key to your appreciation of EdB, in my opinion.

Having just sampled it today at the nearby L'Occitane store, I heartily concur with this statement.

Nice fragrance overall. To me, its overall style suggests that it's a more youthful sibling of Jaipur Homme. Both are very classy fragrances, and have a similiar feel (if not all the notes). But... you gotta like Vanilla!

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    If you are a fan of Tobacco vanille, Spicebomb, light incense fragrances, amber, or vanilla your going to like it. It's great value for the money and well worth sampling if you ever see a L'Occitane.
    I agree with this 100%. I have tried TV, Spicebomb, HiM....it is similar to them in varied ways but a bit edgier. I for one find Tobacco Vanille to be very one-dimensional: if you like tobacco and vanilla, great. But EDB has more depth and a more "jagged," unpredictable edge to it. Spicebomb seems to have been created for opening note shock value, and Him is a gooey combination of TV and Spicebomb. Who cares about the price and whether it's a bargain compared to the insultingly high prices on Tom Ford products? We all should, that's who.

I actually find it to be very different to TV, Spicebomb etc. EdB is cypress and incense, whereas the others are sweet sickly things. TV is one of just a handful of scents that literally turns my stomach (and I own and love several of the private blends), but I find EdB to be very nice.

Gah! Another ancient thread! Isn't there already an EdB thread in circulation that was started yesterday? Maybe we can merge them or something?