Code of Conduct

Thread: Habit Rouge

Default Habit Rouge

I received my bottle of Habit Rouge today, and I love it - and I know a lot of people here like it too.

But, the thing (and the reason I'm posting) is that it's quite a bit better than I expected - but seeing as I'd already sampled it, how can that be?

Well, I sampled this, along with quite a few others now - some by getting sample bottles, but some including the Habit Rouge by having test sprays in stores and walking around to see how they develop.

But it's really striking me that even that isn't as good as wearing a fragrance properly. With the Habit Rouge, a test spray made me decide I liked it enough to buy a bottle, but a proper spray from a full bottle and letting it develop all day has led me to fully appreciate it.

Update: Forgot to say my test sprays were actually on my skin, and then I went for a walk outside - but even that wasn't as good as a proper wearing.
    Last edited by Oscroft; 4th July 2012 at 10:08 PM.
    Alan

Default Re: Habit Rouge

I for one no longer care to spray on blotters or test strips. The more complex the scent, the more you need a proper full wearing to appreciate it. Most of the time I get a fairly good idea of the fragrance by just smelling the nozzle, it's a more accurate rendition of the middle and base notes than a fresh spray on a paper strip. Plus you don't get olfactory fatigue as fast and you can sample more fragrances.

Sound Scents

I find it a very good scent that really grew on me after a couple wearings. I am happy to own it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driů) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I liked it the very first time I tried it and still like it.

In my experience, the atmosphere where fragrances are sold make it very difficult to get a complete impression of any frag. All the other frags floating around in the air may be one factor. Another could be that the olfactory environment in one's own home is a better place to judge a fragrance. So having a sample you can use at home is important, I think. I am a fan of Habit Rouge, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    In my experience, the atmosphere where fragrances are sold make it very difficult to get a complete impression of any frag. All the other frags floating around in the air may be one factor. Another could be that the olfactory environment in one's own home is a better place to judge a fragrance. So having a sample you can use at home is important, I think. I am a fan of Habit Rouge, by the way.
    Yes, I think you're right - though I do go and walk around outside the store to get a better appreciation, I think my olfactory equipment is probably already jaded by the background of other fragrances and doesn't really have enough time to recover. I'm just going to have to find a way to explain to my wife why I need to buy more full bottles
    Alan

I find it takes several full wears in a normal (non-store) environment to really begin to understand a fragrance. And the better the fragrance, the longer it takes to appreciate all its nuances. The fragrances I like best usually made a good impression on first sniff but they seem better and better with subsequent wears. I do find it fairly silly to think you can judge a scent by a fleeting impression on blotter paper but it is a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscroft View Post
    I received my bottle of Habit Rouge today, and I love it - and I know a lot of people here like it too.
    Welcome to the club. You've tried the best, now try the rest!

Took me a while to warm to my original Habit Rouge EDT now I love it and also have the EDP and recently scored the ridiculously hard to find extrait. To me they are quite different but share the same basic idea. Like most classics your appreciation of them actually increases with time.

Count me in as a fan too. I am curious about the latest formula, but I don't think it will be too much different that the previous.

And yeah, its a great fragrance for people of ALL ages and I enjoy all incarnations of it.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Guerlainista

Hi Oscroft. Yeah, Habit Rouge is ok I guess. Did you get the EdT?

It's one of Jean-Paul Guerlain's masterpieces that has survived reformulation fairly intact. The current EdT is pretty fantastic and not too expensive (unlike the expensive-as-unicorn-blood Derby, for example).

I think HR is pretty sensitive to light. If the tester you tried has been out for a long time, I wouldn't be too surprised if it has degraded somewhat. I've come across a couple of bad testers. Fresh out of the box it's glorious.

Enjoy it in good health!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Banned

Habit Rouge by Guerlain is a wonderful scent, do enjoy!

And, I think that you are correct in your assessment that a full wearing on the skin, truly, reveals the composition's flow and nuances.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Like most classics your appreciation of them actually increases with time.
    Nicely put. I have found this to be true for me with Habit Rouge and a number of others, particularly Guerlains.