Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Cool Recommendations based on my personality...

Hi there, my name is Alex, (short for Alexandria) and I've been haunting the Basenotes forums for a while. I tried to go out and explore some scents myself, but finally decided to make a Basenotes account when I realized that everyone here's collective wisdom could help me find better scents. Before you read, I wanted to say hello and thank you for your time.

Anyways, I was wondering if some of the more experienced connoisseurs, you guys, could recommend some fragrances for me based on my personality, and the feel I'd feel like to project. I've smelled only a few perfumes, and because of that, feel like describing my personality and what I'm looking for might be a better way to go then something more specific like, "I'm looking for ambers." I'm open to perfumes of all fragrance classes besides fruity-floral, and have found that I tend to like perfumes labeled chypres or orientals. Of the perfumes I've tried and can recall now, I remember really liking Chanel no.5, though it seemed a little cold and austere on me, and being absolutely obsessed with Ambre Sultan, which I have on right now. I also remember not liking Douce Amere or Lola Lempicka for me because they were overly foodie, and Mitsouku though it was beautiful because it smelled like sadness.

I'm young, but don't feel that way most of the time, and consider myself mature for my age, and very independent and self-possessed. I'm warm, and people find it easy to talk me once I start speaking to them, but I've also been told that I can seem aloof and intimidating to other kids my age, (I'm 17). I've always had parents that have trusted me completely and have let me do what I like, so I attribute my autonomy and maturity to that, and attribute my subtle, almost imperceptible "otherness" from most normal teenagers to some traumatic happenings in my childhood, which made me a better person, but also othered me a bit. Because of that, I think I'd want a perfume that radiated heat and warmth, without being cloying or overly inviting; an invitation to get closer to those who think they're up to the challenge, and aren't afraid. Alternatively, a scent that is mysterious and enchanting and beckoning, and a little otherworldly would be a good pick. I wouldn't mind capturing that strange dichotomy of heat and intimacy, and otherworldliness.
    I was supposed to be born a boy so picked up all those traits, but also love being a girl, and can pull off ambiguous scents, or scents that are masculine or very womanly, either way. I don't do girly or delicate, though. I'd also like a scent that is versatile and strong without screaming for attention, where my scent would linger on the sheets if I spent the night, but wouldn't cloud a room I left. I consider myself well-balanced with many different facets, and would love a perfume where if I wore it every day, I could smell another face of it. I tend to not like hugely floral fragrances unless there's flowers balanced with the other notes, (in which case I love them/ Fracas is an exception, I have a bottle), and I love the smells of amber, musk, incense, and leather. I also like the smell of moss, spices, tuberose and jasmine. I want something enigmatic and interesting, a non-conventionally pretty scent for the day, and another suggestion for night-time wear. My price point is $100 to up to $150 dollars, but I'd feel uncomfortable going over that. Because I'm sure weather and locale makes a difference, I'm in Southern California, and am majoring in economics and philosophy at a major research university next year; (but don't mind and would prefer to smell older than my age, I'm so tired of the boring fruity-florals everyone in college is wearing). I don't plan on going to many frat parties, but wouldn't mind striking people as different or striking if I were to make an appearance. If my appearance makes any difference, I've been told that I'm striking and exotic, and wouldn't mind playing up the effect; (my dad is Spanish, my mom is Korean, it's a peculiar mix).

Anyways, for whoever stuck by to read all of this, (it's a lot I realize), thank you so much for your suggestions, and thank you for bearing with me a list of scents, some of their notes, and the feelings they impart would be much appreciated. Thanks for everything, and hopefully we can talk!

- - - Updated - - -

I meant for that symbol to be a "?", not a smiley face. Oh well.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Recommendations based on my personality...

You know, Alex, from some of what you've written about yourself you might want to read over the recent Chanel Sycomore thread and see if that generates any interest in you. Definately different , definately a more mature feminine fragrance but at he least it might broaden your perspective. You do have to be down with leather. I understand you have a budget and that's fine, most of us do. But that makes it even more important that you sample first and not blind buy and even here in Chicago no store has Sycomore out on the counter to sample so if you want to try certain things you're forced to get samples online. I'm no authority on women's fragrance by any means but I know what I like on a woman. Right now Tom Ford Santal Blush, Nasomatto Nuda, Hermessence Santal Massoia, L'Artisan The Pour un Ete. They're all on the pricey side. I'm sure the women here in this forum can give you better advice than mine. But that's my 2 cents.

hello there, welcome to basenotes.

your story is an interesting and sensible approach.

nothing particular springs to my (currently tired) mind, there's so much good stuff for you to try, but i do have a few general ideas for you,
    1. forget the stores, enter ebay and go for the vintage formula. i think you're the kind of person to appreciate the classics in their full glory (not the butchered lot that carries their names these days.)
    2. for a good overview of what's on the market, get perfumes: the guide by turin and sanchez. there's a lot to learn, and they're very entertaining to read as a nice bonus.

Basenotes Plus

I realize I didn't really address your statement that you like AMBERS. I personally only usually like ambers when used in
    a limited way in combination with other ingredients. Some of my favorite ouds have amber in them.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    You know, Alex, from some of what you've written about yourself you might want to read over the recent Chanel Sycomore thread and see if that generates any interest in you. Definately different , definately a more mature feminine fragrance but at he least it might broaden your perspective. You do have to be down with leather. I understand you have a budget and that's fine, most of us do. But that makes it even more important that you sample first and not blind buy and even here in Chicago no store has Sycomore out on the counter to sample so if you want to try certain things you're forced to get samples online. I'm no authority on women's fragrance by any means but I know what I like on a woman. Right now Tom Ford Santal Blush, Nasomatto Nuda, Hermessence Santal Massoia, L'Artisan The Pour un Ete. They're all on the pricey side. I'm sure the women here in this forum can give you better advice than mine. But that's my 2 cents.
    Thank you for your suggestions I did read the Sycomore forum, and it sounds really intriguing to me, especially the part about it really blooming in warm weather. I'm going to put it on my wish list, and hopefully can get samples of it from The Perfumed Court along with some other suggestions. And I'm not sure if amber is one of my favorite scents yet, and I'm open to everything, so maybe I'll find that I like it as a complement to ouds as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I will definitely make sure to buy and test the vintage versions of the perfumes I'm interested in, and just got Perfumes: The Guide off of Amazon. Thank you for the recommendations, and your welcome

For some reason I keep thinking of COCO CHANEL (not the Mademoiselle). Here is the breakdown on it:
    http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Chanel/Coco-609.html

Not sure if you have tried it yet, but it has the Amber & the Oriental & spices & not too floral. It is not as brash, strong & wanton as an oriental like Opium - it is a mature scent, has lotsa class & a bit of mystery IMO.

Anyhoo...its one to consider if you haven't already.
    Seriously Addicted to Animalics, Chypres and Vintage Pure Parfums!

Basenotes Member

Wow, that sounds like a great one. I read a few of the reviews on fragantica and basenotes, and it sounds like an intriguing fragrance that I'd wear and really enjoy. I'm almost positive they have that at the Saks near my house, so I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how I like it Thank you

Welcome, Alex! I would not match fragrance to personality. Those are marketing tactics invented by companies.

"Are you adventuresome or reserved?" "Are you playful or romantic?" "Do you like the outdoors, or would you prefer to go to a concert or museum?" "Do you prefer chiffon and bows or a crisp tailored suit?"

All rubbish!

Just try a variety of scents and choose the ones that you enjoy. Simple.

As for being feminine or masculine, it's all in the enjoyment of the scent. I wear more "masculines" than "feminines." In the end, who cares?

Gender of fragrance is all marketing, anyway. I ignore the labels!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

As others have said, at the beginning one must sniff and sniff as much as possible before settling in.

From your description, it really seems you like orientals (rather than chypres, which right now barely exist anyway). One that comes to mind is l'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu, resiny, ambery, incense, radiant and warm.

Since we talked about the Chanel exclusives, some to explore there are Bois des Isles (sandalwoody) and Cuir de Russie (smooth leather); both are characterized by a warm smoothness. Another suitable is Coromandel, oriental with patchouli. I love Sycomore, but to my nose it is primarily a fresh vetiver; worth trying it anyway, plus, it is perfect for warm weather.

cacio

Welcome Alex!
    Ambre Sultan is a great one, if you want to try a quirkier Lutens, try Borneo 1834, with campherous patchouly and dusty cocoa.

If you want to try an unusual and grown up berry fragrance, try Apparition by Ungaro. It's cheerful and sweet but not banal, with notes of raspberry, incense and a patchouli-oriental drydown.

A different take on amber: Ambre Gris by Balmain. It starts quite sweet but develops into a smooth unisex amber-spice-floral, with a slightly salty tang.

Don't box yourself in with expectations based on your personality type, hobbies, hair colour, etc etc, just go out and sniff, read, and chat. Allow yourself to branch out of what you think you like, and try new things.

I see you've dabbled in Serge Lutens, that's a good start. There's a bit of everything in that house alone. Have you considered Tom Ford? Some good ones there, also in his Private Collection. Montale has a good selection also.

If you like Ambre Sultan, give Coromandel a try. And as entertaining as I find the book by Luca Turin, my few years of sampling tells me I disagree on a lot of their reviews.

There really is no substitute for simply trying/sampling, we all perceive fragrances differently and some molecules some of us can't smell at all. Just don't give up if you sample fifty and find only one you love, that is what makes that one so worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Welcome, Alex! I would not match fragrance to personality. Those are marketing tactics invented by companies.

"Are you adventuresome or reserved?" "Are you playful or romantic?" "Do you like the outdoors, or would you prefer to go to a concert or museum?" "Do you prefer chiffon and bows or a crisp tailored suit?"

All rubbish!

Just try a variety of scents and choose the ones that you enjoy. Simple.

As for being feminine or masculine, it's all in the enjoyment of the scent. I wear more "masculines" than "feminines." In the end, who cares?

Gender of fragrance is all marketing, anyway. I ignore the labels!
    to some extend, you are completely right. what you say about marketing is entirely true, it's utter crap.

but i have to go against the grain here and disagree that perfume matching to personality is nonsense.

perfumes have (or should have) some kind of personality. some personalities go with others, some do so less. perfumes don't necessarily have to match your personality, i think it works more like the way you select friends.

and by the way, i do think it's interesting to look outside the box. while my persona is a world removed from the typical britney fan stereotype, i do like two or three of her songs (the first one, toxic, and till the world ends, the soundtrack to hedonism isn't it?) i also like a couple of perfumes that i suppose do well with that demographic. i would have missed out on some true greatness if i've stayed save inside my own 'box'. and, please, no britney or music discussion now, it's intended only as a metaphor.

Blog Entries

Welcome Alex, & thanks for a great introduction!

Have you tried Shalimar, widely known as the "reference oriental"?

For an "otherworldly" jasmine, l recommend you try Alien.

My favourite ambers are Tom Ford's Amber Absolute, Profumum's Ambra Aurea & Profumi del Forte's Ambra Mediterranea. These are all rich, strong & long-lasting ambers that lean to the "masculine" side, & it sounds like you have the personality to carry them off!
    Last edited by teardrop; 5th July 2012 at 08:06 PM.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Member

I'll keep that in mind I find that I'm drawn to more masculine scents as well, and will be sure to wear them anyways. Hopefully over time I'll be able to pick out notes, houses, and types of perfume that I really enjoy.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a sample of Cuir de Russie! It's beautiful, and one of my favorite scents I'll put the other ones you mentioned down on my wishlist. Timbuktu sounds especially awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

I really liked the top notes of Tom Ford's Black Orchid, but after a while it just seemed to smell like baby powder on me. I'll try it again another day and see if maybe that was just scent fatigue, but I really did like it in the beginning. And I'll look into Montale too! I'm pretty sure I have a Dark Purple sample stowed away somewhere, so I'll go retest that.

- - - Updated - - -

I liked Toxic a lot too... Sorry, I won't mention anything else about music... And that's a really beautiful and informative line, perfume being like friends and not a perfect match to one's personality. I'll keep that in mind. I know that I have a lot of friends that are hugely different but that I like for different reasons, and hopefully I can find perfumes of all types and love them all just the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi there, I'm glad you liked my introduction! After I posted, I realized I may have gone on a while. I did really like Shalimar when I tried it, but it smelled a bit old and powdery on me! I liked it before it got that way though. And thanks for all the amber suggestions, I'll be sure to write them down

I think Coromandel, Bois des Iles and 31 Rue Cambon from Chanel would be a good start. As far as amber scents go, the following are excellent: Profumi del Forte Ambra Mediterranea and Histoires de Parfums Ambre 114.

I wouldn't mind capturing that strange dichotomy of heat and intimacy, and otherworldliness.
    If you want something a little abstract and daring L'air du desert Marocain, Ambre Russe, Muscs Koublai Khan, Absolue pour le soir.

Basenotes Member

I have a sample of Ambre Russe already, and I love it! It's a really beautiful and multidimensional scent. I smell leather, amber, and something mildly salty like vodka on someone's lips. It's a very rich scent. I've spent so much money on samples this month already, that I'll put yours on my list and hopefully can buy them next month

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really sad though, because I love Ambre Russe, but I'm not sure where I'd wear it. It seems a little extravagant for Southern California, and that's what I love about it, but it also relegates it to my buy-in-four-years list. Ambre Sultan seems to complement my surroundings quite nicely though; I think it's the herbiness and the warmth. Chaparral seems to be a good backdrop for it.

Hello AlexD

Judging by what you like -ambers and orientals I think you might like L'Artisan Mon Numero 10. I am with you that although Ambre Russe is amazing it is too rich to wear all the time. Mon Numero 10 is an amber oriental with spicy, smoky, leathery vibe. It is complex and classic, yet modern; mature, yet edgy. It is very wearable, never cloying or powdery. I think you might like it a lot.

It is exclusive to Barneys only but I can send you a sample if you would like

I agree with previous posts, that you will have to read and test for yourself to find the One (Or Two, or 10 ). I think I have found about 5-7 "the Ones" by now and they make me absolutely happy. I agree with Gido that perfumes are like friends; however, I am also a believer that they can and do match someone's personality. I loved and wore Chanel 19 for years and was surprised to find out that it is perceived by some as cold and standoffish. I tend to be melancholic and reserved so 19 did kind of matched my personality. But I agree that you should go with what makes you happy, not necessarily what matches you. I only wear 19 because I love it.
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 6th July 2012 at 08:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Primrose is correct. Who cares if you like pina coladas & gettin' caught in the rain? If the smell of lavender grosses you out, then so be it!

I think you might like, Diptyque- Tam Dao, Chanel- Bois des Iles, and Etro Ambre. Have fun trying stuff!

Basenotes Member

L'Artisan Mon Numero 10 sounds amazing! I'll PM you about a sample And thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm really excited!

Hi and welcome!

I am just giving my sample of Amouage Jubilation 25 (the women´s version) a first proper test. To me it is a chypre, rather similar to Mitsouko but with the sadness removed by spices and warmth a´la Ambre Sultan... I also get a bit of an B O smell that I find veray appealing, but I am very fond of the already mentioned Muscs Koublai Khan (Serge Lutens) too... And if you´re into Serge - be sure to try his Feminité du Bois! All these fragrances are very unisex to me, and unfortunately, rather expensive.

Good luck sampling!

Pelle
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread