Code of Conduct
    Dependent

Default job searching with or with out fragrance?

ive grown bored of my current job (bank teller) i want to find something more exciting. tomorrow is my day off so i figured heck why not go job hunting. ive been into fragrances for only a few month. in the past i use to wear aqua di gio for pretty much everything. sadly my skin and aqua dont get along so id get maybe ten minutes to enjoy it before the scent would be gone. now i have a variety but i dont know if it would be professional to wear a fragrance when going into building asking for applications and asking to speak to the manager. your thoughts????? im getting Spiritueuse Double Vanille - Guerlain tomorrow morning. very excited and very tempted to wear it even though i was going to save it till it got colder
    Last edited by calilove; 10th September 2012 at 05:58 AM.

Default Re: job searching with or with out fragrance?

Wear something safe if you need to wear something.
    I love gourmands, but wouldn't dream of wearing one to a job interview/while hunting. It's either a fresh citrus, or a fresh aquatic.

I don't know the culture in Killeen Texas.

If its generally accepted, then wear, if not, then don't.

Or wear just a bit. Perfume is always positive if not overused.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Junkie

The best advice would be to wear nothing at all, but I don't see a problem with a LIGHT application of something inoffensive. Definitely not Spiritueuse Double Vanille, though. That is way too sweet and heavy for job searching.

Guerlainista

Yes, in Texas, I would go without, or lightly with an "office safe" fragrance - probably Chanel Pour Monsieur or something like that. If you're into aquatics, a light application of AdG or similar should be safe.

But, honestly, no fragrance is probably safest. I'm sure no man has bombed a job interview in Texas because he wasn't wearing fragrance. I can imagine that some people in Texas would get a bad impression of a man who wore any fragrance to a job interview. Some traditional types will think that men should wear fragrance only when going out socially, if at all.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You should smell the way you dress for the interview.

If you dress to blend in, if you wear a corporate uniform and part of your advancement hinges on "fitting in", then go with something simple, crisp, and clean: Gendarme or Mugler Cologne come to mind as they both smell freshly showered and laundered. You should aspire only to smell well groomed and the fragrance should work on a subliminal level. My favorite "cloak of invisibility" is a dupe of Downey April Fresh mixed in perfumer's alcohol. It is impossible to offend if you smell like you just did laundry.

If you are applying for a creative position where being distinct, unique, and original is not only tolerated but encouraged, then you have a bit more leeway in terms of fragrance. If your choice is too bold, you still run the risk of putting off someone who is not of a similar sensibility, so proceed with caution.

I would save the boldest choices for after you have landed the job.

1-2 sprays of anything won't hurt your changes, unless it's an absolute silage monster like Black Aoud that will overwhelm with even limited application.

When I have these concerns, I just spray x 1 in the lower chest / upper abdomen. This way I get wafts of the scent but feel comfortable that no one else will unless they get real close.

Dependent

im thinking of just spraying myself 10 times with new haarlem!!!

I wouldn't wear anything if you are meeting anyone important.

I wouldn't wear fragrance for job hunting or job interviews. Just be clean and wear deodorant and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post

But, honestly, no fragrance is probably safest. I'm sure no man has bombed a job interview in Texas because he wasn't wearing fragrance. I can imagine that some people in Texas would get a bad impression of a man who wore any fragrance to a job interview. Some traditional types will think that men should wear fragrance only when going out socially, if at all.
    Agree.

Be safe, don't wear anything. I love fragranced, and selecting and putting one on in the morning is one of the best parts of my day. When I go to an interview, however, I never put one on.

No fragrance is the best option for interviewing. I don't see an upside worth the risk of offending anyone trying to judge you in that situation.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    This. Better to get the job first, a fragrance seems more likely to be a negative than a positive at an interview

Basenotes Plus

no scent for job interviews- it can backfire
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by calilove View Post
    ive grown bored of my current job (bank teller) i want to find something more exciting. tomorrow is my day off so i figured heck why not go job hunting. ive been into fragrances for only a few month. in the past i use to wear aqua di gio for pretty much everything. sadly my skin and aqua dont get along so id get maybe ten minutes to enjoy it before the scent would be gone. now i have a variety but i dont know if it would be professional to wear a fragrance when going into building asking for applications and asking to speak to the manager. your thoughts????? im getting Spiritueuse Double Vanille - Guerlain tomorrow morning. very excited and very tempted to wear it even though i was going to save it till it got colder
    Is this really what you should be worrying about? Gee hmm isn't there an unemployment problem in the United States of America?

I would wear a single spray of something safe. Always helps add a bit to your confidence.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i doubt a job interviewer is going to care what cologne you are wearing. it's probably not even in his top 30 things he's looking for in a good employer.

i say wear something safe (something fresh). acqua di gio is just fine honestly (and if it doesn't work on your skin, then spray your clothing). but spray it lightly.

if you want to be like the typical basenoter, you can layer kouros with gorgio beverly hills and REALLY impress the job interviewer @_@

Banned

Wear your Acqua di Gio pour Homme or either of your Acqua di Parma scents.