Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Encre Noire by Lalique (for men)

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it.

44 32.84%
  • I like it.

52 38.81%
  • I'm nuetral.

17 12.69%
  • I dislike it.

15 11.19%
  • I hate it.

6 4.48%

Thread: Encre Noire

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Encre Noire

Okay, I finally got around to sampling this one.

Unfortunately, I ended up not liking much and not wanting to buy it. It is certainly niche quality and recommendable if you really like Vetiver. To me though, I like vetiver as a background ingredient and not as the main dominant ingredient. It is high quality for the price (this could easily be sold for $100).

My nose appreciated the uniqueness, but the rest of my body didn't. My eyes stung, my stomach turned and my brain hurt. It's really unfortunate because I really wanted to like this one.

Another thing this lacks is wearability. This, to me, doesn't seem like a feel-good, smell-good, compliment-getter. This is more of a mood to convey. This is good for black-tie and formal events such as an executive business meeting or a wedding. But this isn't really a casual fragrance. Not good for warm weather or most people under 25. If you buy this one, chances are, that you won't get around to using more than 20% of the bottle.

I would give this a 9/10 with much respect as a work of art, even though I completely hate it on a personal level, if that makes any sense.

My verdict: Even though this has overwhelming positive reviews on Basenotes, don't assume that you will automatically like this one. This one definitely you should sample before buying. If I had bought this before sampling, I would have been really upset, because it is a great fragrance, though it isn't for me.
    Last edited by noirdrakkar; 11th July 2012 at 11:53 AM.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Encre Noire

Excellent vetiver, especially at its price point.

Simple, straightforward, harsh, statement-making, iso e super overload. Any more questions? LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Love it, and don't consider it nearly as dark and smoldering as many seem to. Given your top ten, I'd think you'd really like it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

is it similar to any other fragrances?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Sycomore. EN is the 'poor man's Sycomore'. I recommend that you save up and 'go large' and get Sycomore. It's very similar, but more refined, more concise. I suspect that most Basenoters who are familiar with both would make the same recommendation. If you have Sycomore, you don't need Encre Noire.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

yes, i heard it was heir apparent to sycomore.

however, i wouldn't feel comfortable paying twice as much just for an off-scent.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing with Sycomore is that it has that beautiful creamy sandalwoody Chanel base. It ends up being a fair amount sweater as a result. I got Encre Noire first (loved it and still do), but after a second sample decant of Sycomore noticed that it was really different enough to scratch another olfactive itch. Both fantastic and worth having imho.

The smoky woody opening is good then you have twelve hours of a funky pungent sour/bitter vetiver note which I find unpleasant.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Encore Noire by Lalique - One is initially treated to a drenched, citrusy greenness, afforded by the haitian vetiver, which progresses to an earthiness somewhat akin to the saturated soil of a marsh littered with struggling greens. A warming greenness ensues, brought about by the bourbon vetiver. A duet of vetivers is consummated. From this green, damp and dirty duet, the bourbon vetiver overtakes with a burning, ember-like texture. In the distance, the cool crispness of cypress wood tantalizes, and the tempering heart beckons. Here, the spicy cypress wood stews lusciously with the wrestling vetivers, imparting a dry smokiness to the brew. Transitioning to the soothing base, a sweetness from the cashmere wood taints the subdued vetivers, and combines with a sensual musk to impart a wonderful, dry and animalic woodiness. This exquisite fragrance has a refined and complex uniqueness. A true gem, this high quality scent has good projection and very good longevity, and warrants your indulgence.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

I love it, and find it one of the best values in fragrances I have encountered.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

And the bottle is just to die for!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Post Thanks / Like

Very very good perfume but alas I cannot tolerate the high levels of ISO E Super that emerge a few hours into it.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I really like it, totally different beast to Sycomore IMO (which I also own).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I really like it, totally different beast to Sycomore IMO (which I also own).
    They resemble each other in the opening phase but after a while, i also think they're completely different beasts. Btw my opninon changed after a full wearing.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a very good vetiver but I'm not a vetiver fan so I voted neutral.
    If you like vetiver then you should go for it (only a small bottle though).

Post Thanks / Like

It's a very synthetic vetiver (if that) IMHO, making it hard to wear in anything except an abandoned rainforest

Have it and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very dark, oppressive, and brooding fragrance. If melancholy had a smell, it would be this. It's not green and light smelling like other vetivers. That being said, it's also very well blended and is a great scent. It's something that probably couldn't be worn as an everyday fragrance. This is more of a special occasion scent. It's unique and atypical, which makes it a niche type scent but with a cheap designer price. The classy black bottle is a good representation of what it smells like.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Post Thanks / Like

I can see why some would love it. But personally........I hate it.

Post Thanks / Like

i voted 'i like it'. i might never finish that miniature i have of this. there's so many things that i love, why settle for less?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Encre Noire

I love it. My nº 1 vetiver scent. Absolutely amazing !!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should stop basing every single fragrance purchase you make on a poll that you create on BN
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

I second what other said, Sycomore is better, more natural. That said, Encre Noire is very good too and a great value for the price.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

I like it, but I prefer Sycomore

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Very very good perfume but alas I cannot tolerate the high levels of ISO E Super that emerge a few hours into it.
    Ditto

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    Yes, Sycomore. EN is the 'poor man's Sycomore'. I recommend that you save up and 'go large' and get Sycomore. It's very similar, but more refined, more concise. I suspect that most Basenoters who are familiar with both would make the same recommendation. If you have Sycomore, you don't need Encre Noire.
    Absolutely, andylama. While the 'smell' is very similar between the two, the texture of Sycamore is so much smoother and its construction much more rounded. There's a fluidity to Sycamore that Encre Noir lacks. And Sycamore has just a touch of sweetness amidst the earth and smokiness that adds another welcome dimension to the scent.

I'm looking to pick up Sycamore this fall and replace my bottle of Encre Noir.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried it once, forgot it soon. Vétiver Extraordinaire prevented it from entering my mind again.
    I'm neutral about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I like it, but find it a bit muted for a vetiver. That said, it is a not a simple, straightforward scent. Since you are considering buying you must have sampled it already, so be daring! Encre Noir is certainly wardrobe worthy.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Encre Noir has a solid following here, but it (or Sycomore) is just not for my skin/nose.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by midniteoil View Post
    The thing with Sycomore is that it has that beautiful creamy sandalwoody Chanel base. It ends up being a fair amount sweater as a result. I got Encre Noire first (loved it and still do), but after a second sample decant of Sycomore noticed that it was really different enough to scratch another olfactive itch. Both fantastic and worth having imho.
    Agree. EN and Sycomore are not all that similar to my nose as Sycomore is all about the balancing act between sandal and vetiver root. EN belongs to the intense vetiver family along with Vetiver Extraordinaire, Route du Vetiver, Etro Vetiver, Vetiver de Java etc etc

Post Thanks / Like

I love it! For the money it is a great value and a very sophisticated and unique fragrance. There is a dry ink iodine like scent to this vetiver that is probably from the Bourbon Vetiver which has a medicinal twinge to it. Nothing else is like it.

Some other vetivers that are similar in dark tone are: LesNez Turtle Vetiver Front, Chanel Sycomore, Villoresi Vetiver, MPG Route du Vetiver, Vetyver by DSH and Vetiver Bourbon by Miller Harris. But, for how easy Encre Noire is to obtain, it is an exceptional value. Even if it were as expensive or hard to find as some of these others I would still recommend it. It stands on its own unique appeal.

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody mentioned that Encre Noire has an above average sprayer and that sillage and longevity are almost in powerhouse territory.

Encre Noire smells better when less is applied on... the more... the worse this one gets for me.... one spray on the stomach is good enough for me.... keep it away from the neck area for sure...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    I think you should stop basing every single fragrance purchase you make on a poll that you create on BN
    I think if you are not a moderator, it won't benefit you or anyone to tell other people what they should or shouldn't post.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Encre Noire. It is similar to Sycomore, which I also love, but different enough to warrant both. Sycomore is smooth, elegant, polished, warm, sweet. Encre Noire is more restrained, cold, brash, wet, aloof. The only negative is that EN can sometims turn bug sprayish in the drydown.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nemanja View Post
    Nobody mentioned that Encre Noire has an above average sprayer and that sillage and longevity are almost in powerhouse territory.
    Not on me it's not. Its about the weakest and close to skin fragrance I own! In fact the more I think on this the more I think that Encre Noir isn't a fragrance at all. Rather its an idea of part of a fragrance. Theres something missing, perhaps the sweetness in Sycomore (which I haven't smelt) or some other accord. As it stands I find Encre Noir somewhat light bright and not even remotely dark or powerful.

Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by russraff View Post
    Theres something missing, perhaps the sweetness in Sycomore (which I haven't smelt) or some other accord.
    I agree that something seems like its missing, I can't tell what though. It is strange. But really no longevity? I'm surprised. I don't just judge longevity just on my skin (even though its great with this frag). Skin reaction to a frag is not a controlled variable. Clothes don't have the same "bias" that skin does when it comes to fragrances so I use clothes to judge longevity. In this case Encre Noire stacked up pretty well. The only frag I have that beats it in longevity is Bogart PH (powerful shit lol) and EN outlasts One Man Show (another powerhouse) on clothes and paper. I think it's a skin thing in your case. =/

Post Thanks / Like

double post oops

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I would say that it does seem to last okay on paper, though no more so than many other scents like a recent Chanel Alure Sport test card I had today. However, A*Men projection and longevity Encre Noir aint! Its a shame as I really like the odd smell. It does seem to waft up my nose every once and a while, but the smell is so subtle, even seconds after applying. I was expecting a real vetiver woodsy hit, but Encre Noir is way, way more subtle than that.

Post Thanks / Like

For the price, you get a fine dark vetiver scent. Yes you can do better, but it will cost you. It's not an everyday wear, but is a good reference scent, and suits some occasions well. Again - it may not be one you reach for often, despite it being a fine scent.

It's all Love for me!!!
    Gary

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a sample and I love it but I think it's something you have to test out first if you haven't. I have to be in a particular mood and situation to wear this.

Post Thanks / Like

Had to vote neutral, since I didn't try it, but this is one of the scent I'd be eager to test.

Post Thanks / Like

Neutral: I kinda like it, but I'm deeply in love with Sycomore!
    Therefore I wouldn't wear EN (I didn't even finish my sample vial).

Post Thanks / Like

Def. try before you buy!!!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Sycomore makes Encre Noire forgettable.

Post Thanks / Like

If I had never tried Sycomore, I would really like Encre Noire.

Post Thanks / Like

I find that noticeable ink accord makes this fragrance a total scrubber for me. If you like it good on ya, and I hope you wear it in good health....
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, having had a few more goes I think that Encre Noir may be a grower - a bit like acclimatising yourself to Laphroaig whisky after drinking Glenfiddich for a few years. It does have an odd smell and there isn't an inviting opening but the actual scent is a good one. Still not convinced on its strength, but what smell it does have lasts for quite some time.

I also went to the Chanel boutique last weekend and tried the Sycomore. It may have a little bit more to it, but the smell is still just as reserved, subtle perhaps?, and really not worth the extra over EN.

Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Encre Noire smells better when less is applied on.
    LESS is MORE with Encre Noire... max 2 quick sprays for me.

Post Thanks / Like

This was my sotd yesterday, and while I still very much enjoy it, the longevity leaves a lot to be desired
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know. Personally, I find it a bit predictable, un-mysterious, boring, flat...

Have you compared it with Guerlain's Vetiver? After long years of hating all the reformulations of the original, I recently tried this one again and found it desirable...

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I've come to realize I really don't like vetiver...that said, I thought it was comparable to several more expensive ones I've sampled. Unpleasant to my nose, but if you like vetiver, I think it's a good value.
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Post Thanks / Like

go for it its cheap!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I updated this one. I sampled it. I respected it, but I didn't like it at all. I'm glad I only bought a $3 sample and not a $50 bottle.