Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Smile All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 7, 2012 *** GREEN

My favorite category! Green can be earthy or citrusy and refreshing or composed of jungle-covered florals. What works for you?

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental — Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010, Jan. 2011, Jan. 2012
    Animalic — Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010, Feb. 2011, Feb. 2012
    Chypre — March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010, March 2011, March 2012
    Floral — April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010, April 2011, April 2012
    Fruity — May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010, May 2011, May 2012
    Citrus — June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010, June 2011, June 2012
    Green — July 2008, July 2009, July 2010, July 2011
    Fresh — Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009, Aug. 2010, Aug. 2011
    Fougere — Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender — Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009, Sept. 2010, Sept. 2011
    Ambery — Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009, Oct. 2010, Oct. 2011
    Spicy — Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010, Nov. 2011
    Gourmand — Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009, Dec. 2010, Dec. 2011
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 7, 2012 *** GREEN

Greens are my absolute favorites! Can't wait!

- - - Updated - - -

Greens are my absolute favorites! Can't wait!
    Here's a link for some ideas-
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/228...it!?highlight=
    Last edited by kumquat; 5th July 2012 at 05:21 PM.

Hmm...I'll be traveling that day, but I will be with you in spirit! Maybe something minty-green like AA Mentafolia to keep me alert while driving.

Basenotes Plus

Happy trails Lilybelle! I am supposed to take a road trip this weekend but I just can't face it- need to spend some time straightening my nest.

Love this category of GREEN!!!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

summer means fireflys

eewww! The dreaded greens! Not my favorite, but I will play along ... just not sure with what yet!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    eewww! The dreaded greens!
    l'm with you on this one, shades!

l'll be working all day & out in the evening, so l'll sit this one out, sorry folks. Enjoy yourselves!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Off to a slow start. Isn't anyone looking forward to this one?

The folks from this thread might be interested.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/295...=green+sampler
    Last edited by kumquat; 6th July 2012 at 10:46 PM.

Well, first time in this thread for me, and I'm wearing Miss Dior. A wonderful, classy/classic floral green chypre, that always makes me feel confident and Woman :-)
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

Quote Originally Posted by bibitry View Post
    Well, first time in this thread for me, and I'm wearing Miss Dior. A wonderful, classy/classic floral green chypre, that always makes me feel confident and Woman :-)
    Very nice, bibitry. I'm wearing Annick Goutal Tubereuse, which is floral green, but not too green.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are my favourite greens.

Annick Goutal Un Matin d'Orange
    Hilde Soliani Stecca
    Marc Jacobs by Marc Jacobs
    Mona di Orio Les Nombres D'Or Tubereuse
    Ormonde Jayne Ormonde Woman
    Parfumerie Generale Gardenia Grand Soir & Drama Nuit
    Do happy

(Gingerly - is that a word? - rejoining this happy family. MANY THANKS for the nice welcomes! MISSED all y'all.) Splashed on Cool Water before coming downstairs and discovering this was Sniff'n'Speak Satiddy. How quickly we forget. Well. It's been - what? - two, three years?)

Will semi-fougere do?

kisskisskiss
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I wore LizSport for my run this morning, and it's become one of my favorite green scents, especially for exercise. Its notes include lemon, mandarin, freesia, cypress, lily-of-the-valley, rose, orris root, ivy, cedar, sandalwood and moss ...but it's the distinctive ivy note that I'm utterly smitten with. I don't know of any other fragrance that does it quite so well, or so inexpensively!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Plus

Many of the perfumes I wore easily and well in my teens and 20's were greens: Lauren, Aliage, Private Collection, and my pick for today, Niki de Saint Phalle. Nowadays, thanks I guess to age, hormones, etc., it's much trickier for me to pull them off, but green fragrances will always have a special place in my heart thanks to the beautiful memories they evoke.

Niki de Saint Phalle is one such perfume. I wore it when I was young, newly married, and working in midtown Manhattan. Wearing it today brings me right back to that wonderful time in my life. It is challenging, complex, and wonderfully strange -- not unlike those heady, exciting days!

Notes include jasmine, rose, marigold/tagetes, ylang-ylang, vetiver, sandalwood, patchouli, oakmoss, amber, and musk
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TaoLady View Post
    (Gingerly - is that a word? - rejoining this happy family. MANY THANKS for the nice welcomes! MISSED all y'all.) Splashed on Cool Water before coming downstairs and discovering this was Sniff'n'Speak Satiddy. How quickly we forget. Well. It's been - what? - two, three years?)

Will semi-fougere do?

kisskisskiss
    Just dropping in to say a big welcome back to TaoLady!

We haven't "met" before, but l always enjoyed your reviews, & often wondered what happened to you. Glad to see you're alive & well, & l hope to see you around here often!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

For SnS Green, I'm wearing the one-of-a-kind My Racing Heart. This is from a sample I picked up from The Parfumerie of Chenoweth Square in Kentucky a few years ago. It was a created for an equine charity. MRH is a slightly spicy green floral. If it weren't for a slight garden stink-bug association, I'd praise this more.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

OMG! Beloved TaoLady posted! Welcome home scent sista!

I'm sampling a new scent from slumberhouse called Pear & Olive this morning. So far I like. In fact the eyeballs rolled back in the head when I sniffed the one spray on the back of my hand, always a good sign. Applied more and will check back in after the Farmer's market.
    A Scent Rescuer

summer means fireflys

For today's Green SnS, I'm wearing Ormonde Jayne Woman.

Notes: cardamon, coriander, grass oil, black hemlock, violet, jasmine absolute, vetiver, cedar wood, amber, and sandalwood.

I've left no doubt that "green" is NOT my favorite note over the years. Green frags are sometimes too sharp, too bright, too shrill to my nose ... But today's scent, OJ Woman is a different shade of green. Imagine the deepest part of the darkest green forest. Imagine the eerie quality of rays of sunshine that fight their way through the leafy canopy to the ground. Imagine a magical potion that sends out curling tendrils of scent to lure you in and then wraps you in deep green velvet. Imagine the breathless feeling of being in the presence of something otherworldly. You have just imagined the enchanting Ormonde Jayne Woman.

Notes: cardamom, coriander, grass oil, black hemlock, violet, jasmine absolute, vetiver, cedar wood, amber, and sandalwood.

Notes

I've trademarked the color bleu

Green is one of my favorite categories. But it's 103F today, so chypres and woody are out. So I'm going back to perhaps my favorite green, Metal by Paco Rabanne. Fresh, green, floral, just perfect.

cacio

SotA: Creed Green Valley. So perfectly summery.

I'm going to cheat a teeny tiny bit if it's ok and go green tomorrow. After three solid days in No22 I needed something cosy but tomorrow this SnS gives me the perfect excuse to wear my lovely airport purchase of Wrappings. I actually squeaked when I saw it on the shelf I'm really looking forward o it's sherbetty, green uniqueness

Blog Entries

Parfums Delrae- Début
    Debut Notes
    Bergamot, lime, green leaves, ylang-ylang, lily of the valley, linden blossom,
    vetiver, sandalwood and musk

Surprisingly, I don't have many green scents or samples. I do love MJ Daisy, I know, but I love it!. But today, I am dabbling Balmy Days and Sundays by Ineke. Sweet and bright freesia, mimosa and greens dominate this scent with a sweet touch of honeysuckle. Dries down to a soft musk. This scent is sweet, bright, fresh. The mimosa is very prominent, probably my favorite note in this perfume. The musk comes too quickly for me as I just enjoy the opening notes so very much. This scent is very yellow, very green. I have to say, I am falling for mimosa..I must sample more scents with this note. The opening to this is lemon-y almost, sweet. I love the brightness to this, but like I said, the musk comes too quickly for me and I am not a real big fan of musk. I prefer woody dry downs. I love the pairing of mimosa and freesia.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

Shades of Bleu, I'm glad you brought up Ormonde Woman, one of my all-time favorites! A sensuous, yummy green scent if ever there was one. If you love walking in the woods on an early spring day when the temperature is perfect and the flowers are blooming, this is for you. It's not just green,there are florals, too. The most interesting note there is the hemlock. It has a deep woods feel that is masculine and smells a bit like smoke, too.

Basenotes Plus

Pear and olive by slumberhouse.
    Notes: pear, cognac, chamomile, aglaia, olive, zdravets, massoia bark and calamus

zdravets is geranium oil from cranesbill geranium
    aglaia is chinese perfume plant. Also a greek goddess and the given name of my mother's cousin. However, when she was a young'un (in the 1930's) and being teased by her peers over her name (who taunted her with "ugly- a" she changed it to Ida- because she liked the popular song of the era "Ida....sweet as apple pie-da". But I digress...

The slumberhouse guy apparently is not motivated by fame and fortune because I couldn't even find Pear and Olive for sale on his own website. I acquired by bottle on parfum1.com (no affiliation)

Limk to blog where perfumer discusses creation of scent http://slumber33.tumblr.com/post/234...#disqus_thread
    I can't do any better than he does in capturing the mood of this simultaneously soothing yet stimulating creation. Pear & Olive skillfully captures an organic aesthetic and has a luminosity and sweetness which is not "green" in the sense of my usual dark green fave like Silences, but it's very green in the spirit of conjuring up a sense of place and experience at one with the natural world.
    A Scent Rescuer