Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Sharing a secret: the best under-the-radar fragrance prize goes to...

...L'Essence de Cerruti.

- 5 positives out of 5 reviews on Basenotes.
    - Predominately loves and likes on Fragrantica.
    - 4 stars on Osmoz.
    - 79% out of 14 ratings on Parfumo, better than top 5 fragrances in Basenotes thread "Which scent gets you the most female compliments?" (GIT = 77%, Aventus = 78%, Issey Miyake = 78%, MI = 76%, YSL La Nuit = 79%)

I can't believe how underhyped this fragrance is. This scent is awesome: versatile and unique at the same time and selling at ridiculously low prices - proving how little prices have to do with the art and quality of fragrances - it's all about marketing (that includes niche).

Sample this.
    Last edited by PWJ; 5th July 2012 at 09:14 PM.

Default Re: Sharing a secret: the best under-the-radar fragrance prize goes to...

Yes sir, I shall sample it right away and on the double! lol

Seriously though thanks for the heads up.

Default Re: Sharing a secret: the best under-the-radar fragrance prize goes to...

I am intrigued
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

I demand a sample! lol

At the price it's going for, you should send some BN members samples
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

How is longevity/projection? Describe more please. I'll do some research on it as well but I'd love to hear some more.

It's a very nice fragrance.

Looks ok. How would you describe it?

- - - Updated - - -

Looks ok. How would you describe it?
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I was literally on the basenotes review page for it maybe less than 20 seconds before clicking on the link for this thread.. hah

Thanks for the heads up PWJ. Might have to blind buy.

I have been wanting to sample this frag for a few weeks now, but can't seem to find a sample, and haven't been able to talk myself into blind buying it yet... oh well, I may have to since it's in the low $20's for a bottle.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the heads up. Will look around, hopefully my favorite local fragrance store has it.

Banned

Wow, this must be the holy grail. I'm looking forward to at least 30 threads about it...each day.

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    ...L'Essence de Cerruti.

- 5 positives out of 5 reviews on Basenotes.
    - Predominately loves and likes on Fragrantica.
    - 4 stars on Osmoz.
    - 79% out of 14 ratings on Parfumo, better than top 5 fragrances in Basenotes thread "Which scent gets you the most female compliments?" (GIT = 77%, Aventus = 78%, Issey Miyake = 78%, MI = 76%, YSL La Nuit = 79%)

I can't believe how underhyped this fragrance is. This scent is awesome: versatile and unique at the same time and selling at ridiculously low prices - proving how little prices have to do with the art and quality of fragrances - it's all about marketing (that includes niche).

Sample this.

WOW...Damm nice presentation. I simply have to try it now after all that!!!!!

eggy, do you feel comfortable with that eBay seller? Think you'll get a genuine bottle?

Off-topic, 3ml Aventus decant arrived today, thanks Boomer! Nice packaging/presentation.

Does it smell like ELd'O Tom Of Finland? If so: yuck!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by >BOOMER< View Post
    WOW...Damm nice presentation. I simply have to try it now after all that!!!!!

I've sampled this before, but forgot which one it was. I'm almost positive it was this one now by how people are describing it. Nice light summer fragrance.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Quote Originally Posted by Jouho View Post
    eggy, do you feel comfortable with that eBay seller? Think you'll get a genuine bottle?
    I sure hope so because I got one to. They have allot of positive feedback and the negatives seem to be complaints on shipping times for international shipments mostly. I have never bought from them before though, has anyone else bought from fragrancealley on ebay??

Think you'll get a genuine bottle?
    I really doubt anyone would bother faking a relatively unknown, inexpensive fragrance like this.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    I really doubt anyone would bother faking a relatively unknown, inexpensive fragrance like this.
    I am also pretty certain of this.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

It's not bad. Personally I didn't care enough for it to keep my bottle though. Just another light, sweet scent.

I bought both the ASL and the EDT about a year ago.

It sort of belongs in the "Italian Woods" category but it also has a discernable musk note on the bottom, giving it something of an Old School character overall. This fragrance would not have been out of place in the 70's.

I wouldn't exactly call it "light" either. It won't punch you in the nose, but it's quite a bit more potent than e.g. D&G The One Gentleman or any of the DSquared Woods. Good staying power too.

Overall, I would say this is definitely a value-for-the-money fragrance for the 40+ crowd. High quality, classy and versatile. You can wear this practically anywhere and it won't be out of place. The bottle's really nice too: solid metal cap and everything.

I like this fragrance a lot, although I don't know that it's quite "edgy" enough to be a favourite among the Basenotes crowd.

Stone the whistleblower!! Stone him!

Off-topic, 3ml Aventus decant arrived today, thanks Boomer! Nice packaging/presentation.

Yeah I do.
    As many have already said, this is a relatively unknown fragrance so the possibility of it being faked is pretty low.
    Worse come to worst I can always go through paypal for my money back if the juice isn't authentic, but it's $20 so I'm not too concerned.

thanks for the tip. ordered from teh ebay link above.

Thanks for the info.....If I see this I'll give it a try!!!
    Gary

Order already shipped from eBay. sweeeet

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    Good choice, I hope you'll like it!

Quote Originally Posted by ubergeek View Post
    I bought both the ASL and the EDT about a year ago.

It sort of belongs in the "Italian Woods" category but it also has a discernable musk note on the bottom, giving it something of an Old School character overall. This fragrance would not have been out of place in the 70's.

I wouldn't exactly call it "light" either. It won't punch you in the nose, but it's quite a bit more potent than e.g. D&G The One Gentleman or any of the DSquared Woods. Good staying power too.

Overall, I would say this is definitely a value-for-the-money fragrance for the 40+ crowd. High quality, classy and versatile. You can wear this practically anywhere and it won't be out of place. The bottle's really nice too: solid metal cap and everything.

I like this fragrance a lot, although I don't know that it's quite "edgy" enough to be a favourite among the Basenotes crowd.
    That's a pretty good description of it. Anyone that enjoys Guerlain Derby or any of the classic Guerlain's will probably really enjoy this.
    Summer 2014 favorites

5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)

8. Joop Splash (Fruity)

I bought this blind a couple of years ago for cheap but I couldn't get past an annoying synthetic note. It ended up with one of the nephews.

I'm interested. I can't imagine this would be better for older men, however. Maybe for non-fragrance hobbyists. But if you are on Basenotes ( with all the time, money and effort that goes into fragrances), I think any supposed "mature" fragrances is fair game.

Its too bad Marais doesn't like this one. The last time I went against his advice, I ended up with a bottle of Ferrari Uomo .
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Banned

Thanks for the heads up.

I picked this up off of ebay a while back, blind buy based of of those few good reviews (it was very cheap). Seemingly good quality for the $: the bottle is very nice, and the scent is pleasant, though maybe not super unique. I remember being struck by the mint when I first wore it, but now I get more of the woods and fruit. For me, L'Essence brings to mind a lighter L'Anarchiste, without the ketchupy-metallic-blood accord, and as it mellows, seems vaguely similar to Paco Rabbane XS. I wore it to work, and it seemed very office-appropriate. I wouldn't say it's too mature a fragrance; it's no sport scent, but it seems pretty 'fresh' to me.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Wow, this must be the holy grail. I'm looking forward to at least 30 threads about it...each day.
    Can we dare hope? Could this be the next......no I refuse to even say the "A" word.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nonsisa View Post
    Someone's always spoiling the fun.

lol after this thread its gone to the top of my MUST sniff list! Just love Basenotes!

this one is interesting to me. kind of want to check it out now. thanks op

I found it a modern, sweet scent with some soft leather. Not very strong either. To compare it to classic Guerlains is heresy of the highest order! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    Please let us know what you think of it when it gets to you.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Please let us know what you think of it when it gets to you.
    YES! PLEASE DO! This one's been on my radar for a while and now you've got me tempted to blind buy, but I'm just not sure since I don't like to buy what I haven't smelled. Must... resist... muuuuuuust... reeeeeesssssiiiiiiiisssst.

I bit. $20. What the heck.

Looks like mine will arrive tomorrow... can't wait go give it a spray...

Received my bottle in the mail today. It's not bad. Falls somewhere between Tom Ford for Men, Baldessarini, and YSL L'Homme. Has a little more punch than those, though. Good stuff for $20. Nice bottle, and the atomizer is fantastic. It really dispenses the juice! I wish more niche bottles had atomizers like this. My initial impression, I give it a 7.5/10.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

13 bottles sold in 3 days after this post. Not going to stay under the radar for long i guess.
    Seller will smell something fishy!!!!!!!
    PS Note to myself: must order 1 quickly!!

- - - Updated - - -

13 bottles sold in 3 days after this post. Not going to stay under the radar for long i guess.
    Seller will smell something fishy!!!!!!!
    PS Note to myself: must order 1 quickly!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    Received my bottle in the mail today. It's not bad. Falls somewhere between Tom Ford for Men, Baldessarini, and YSL L'Homme. Has a little more punch than those, though. Good stuff for $20. Nice bottle, and the atomizer is fantastic. It really dispenses the juice! I wish more niche bottles had atomizers like this. My initial impression, I give it a 7.5/10.

Sounds good!

I won't be able to test mine until later in the month when I get to the states, but I 'm very excited

Mine just arrived and I must say this stuff is pretty good! Even the mintiness, which is often a major turn-off for me, is well done here.

Thanks PWJ for a great suggestion!
    Mark K

Got my bottle today too. I'm surprised at how well done this is. I sprayed it on a couple of hours ago and it's still going strong. Definitely a leather for the non-leather lover. Sort of like a lighter, minty vintage Bel Ami. I like it.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

FAVORITES - Richard James Savile Row, Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, YSL Opium Pour Homme EDP, Lattafa Ameer Al-Oudh, Acqua di Parma Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke

Quote Originally Posted by acjigga View Post
    Got my bottle today too. I'm surprised at how well done this is. I sprayed it on a couple of hours ago and it's still going strong. Definitely a leather for the non-leather lover. Sort of like a lighter, minty vintage Bel Ami. I like it.
    Same here, got it in today and just sprayed it on to test it out. I like it so far, though I'm only 20 minutes in. It does seem to be a lighter scent so far, even at 3 sprays. Hasn't been long enough to comment much about the scent really except that I do get a hint of the mint mentioned before, but only slightly... The bottle is great, and the cap, very masculine looking which I like.

If you ordered from the link above it is a tester, so it will come in a white box with the name printed on it instead of the nicer looking box shown above. With that said, it is the bottle that sits on the shelf, not the box, so no big deal imo. All in all, I like it so far and will see how it goes for the rest of the evening...
    Last edited by Dawg15; 9th July 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Great success

I'm happy you like it!

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts on the fragrance ! I am surprised I missed this one.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Good thread.

My bottle came in the mail today. Yep it's a very nice fragrance. Sticking to my classic Guerlain vibe as I don't put them on a pedestal like some do on basenotes. Also the Bel Ami comparison is a good one.
    Summer 2014 favorites

5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)

8. Joop Splash (Fruity)

Instead of discussing the frag in the OP, why not come up with ouyr own 'under the radar' frag, that can be had for cheap ?

My secret frag is:

17-57-thickbox.jpg

Thallium Black

Descirbed in a previous post like this:

"The spicy freshness of the Cardamom plays with the fruity of a juicy Apple, making a fruits cocktail with an aroma of Bergamot peel.

Nutmeg confers its warm effect of spice to the aromatic union of Sage and Basil, on a middle fragrance of sweet Plum and tangy Geranium.

Effluvia of holy Amber fit perfectly well the smoky Patchouli, mixing on bottom the sweetness of the Tonka Bean to the powder of Musk.

Thallium Black, exquisitely warm and deeply spiced, this rich blend is a web of earth delights.
    Masculinity becomes fragrance"
    Really nice frag for the price - great longevity, masculinity in a bottle - almost niche worthy scent for supermarket price - what more can you demand ?
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by ubergeek View Post
    screw the basenotes crowd - this is pretty good schtuff.
    i don't make the bel ami connection though but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I rec'd mine and also find it quite nice

Base reminds me of Tom Ford for Men........
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Quote Originally Posted by nonsisa View Post
    Aw, stones will hurt! Use the caps from Chanel Blue...which was a big hose job anyhow.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

So I got this in a great transaction with Silent Rich (A great user to deal with btw!), and I am impressed Scent wise very smooth. Something about it reminds me of Moschino Uomo, almost like an "intense" version of it. Unfortunately I find the longevity and silage to be a bit weak, anyone else experience this?

It has this certain "Italian" vibe which I get from certain Canali scents as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Instead of discussing the frag in the OP, why not come up with ouyr own 'under the radar' frag, that can be had for cheap ?
    I think I have to give this one a go. I just think that bottle is one of the worst things I have ever seen!

Thanks for posting.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Mauboussin Homme. Go for the edt rather than the edp version. I much prefer the edt. I know, usually it is the other way around.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by david; 13th October 2012 at 11:28 PM.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

I got this stuff and kind of regret it. Something about it turns me off... Might look to sell it in the near future