Code of Conduct

Question (Another Sandalwood thread) VINTAGE Sandalwood suggestions plkease

I am craving a sandalwood fragrance; I remember back in the 70s that Sandalwood was a favorite scent but those were the days before Mysore Sandalwood became unavailable. I have not found (nor have I really searched to be honest) for a newer fragrance using substitutes for Mysore Sandalwood.

So the question is, what are some fragrances that I should try to find a "vintage" bottle of? And, as a secondary question, where (besides ebay) to you folks find vintage bottles?
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Default Re: (Another Sandalwood thread) VINTAGE Sandalwood suggestions plkease

vintage Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn but I absolutely have no idea where you could find it.....you might also want to check Tricorn and Sandalwood both by Caswell Massey.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Arden Men Sandalwood.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Two suggestions.
    Profumo.it sells Mysore Sandalwood in alcohol and it is lovely stuff.
    For vintage perhaps Guerlain Samsara which I believe used to have a huge amount of indian sandalwood.

Banned

Bois des Iles by Chanel

Creed Bois de Santal is the best I've tried. Wore it today.

Martin

I have a bit of real mysore wood chips, a vintage bottle of Samsara, vintage Caswell Massey Sandalwood cologne, and a fond memory of real pure mysore sandalwood oil, and I swear that there is real mysore sandalwood in the base of the Knize Ten I bought very recently.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

For some truly interesting suggestions, you need Mikeperez here....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sound Scents

Vintage Floris Sandalwood
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    For some truly interesting suggestions, you need Mikeperez here....
    Here I am!

Akahina, I too, am sort of a vintage Sandalwood junkie. I can't say I've exhaustively sampled all of them but I am trying as many as I can before they all up and vanish.

My personal favorites at the moment are (as alfrarom already mentioned) vintage Extract of Mysore Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn which looks like this and (one that sort of snuck out of nowhere & wowed me) Bois de Santal by Creed. The C&E is airy, light, sort of a bubble-of-sandalwood all around you when you wear it, and yet it smells JUST like Mysore Sandalwood oil. The Creed is civet prominent, sort of like if you took Mouchoir de Monsieur and replaced the lavender with sandalwood. I went thru my 10 ml decant of BdS in a few weeks...sadly it's officially disco'd. I also fell in love with Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens, which I HATED when I first smelled it years ago, but now it haunts me...I will be getting a decant or bottle soon.

For more suggestions, check this thread out: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/284...-re-formatted)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Vintage Floris Sandalwood
    I still haven't smelled this one. That good huh?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Hmmm. Might revisit Santal Blanc, then.

Looking forward to seeing what the new one will be like from Lutens, 'a study in sandalwood', with rose + cacao.

I am fortunate to still have a couple of bottles of the 80's C&E Mysore EDT - there's really nothing like it. The only suggestion I might add to try is Tiffany for Men. I do get a sense of the real thing in this, still - possibly wishful thinking, but it satisfies me more than Bois des Iles or Samsara due to its 'fullness'. So far this one does not seem to have been diluted or IFRA'ed at all.

Santal de Mysore by Montale from their Confidential Collection - close to "old school" sandalwood from years back IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Santal de Mysore by Montale from their Confidential Collection - close to "old school" sandalwood from years back IMO.
    I keep hearing this - gotta track some down, thanks for the reminder.

Dominique Dubrana also makes a nice straight up EDT called Santalum Album, which is Mysore (www.profumo.it).