Code of Conduct

Question " zero " (0 ) negative reviews in the base notes evaluation...mention 5 fragances..

Please , mention 5 fragances with zero , nil, 0, reviews in the basenotes evaluation forum...
    tks
    al

Doing this, the choice will lead us to a better " blind " buy..
    I think basenotes should make a relation of the zero reviews fumes.
    This would motivate us to buy them.
    just a single suggestion...

Default Re: " zero " (0 ) negative reviews in the base notes evaluation...mention 5 fragances..

I will certainly keep my eyes open when I check a fragrance review, but I am not sure that a perfume with, say, a total of 5 reviews, and no negs, is going to influence my decision. Personally I will look at the total positives and compare that amount to the sum of the neutrals and negatives. If the positives outweigh the sum of the other two reviews by more than 2:1, I take that as a good indicator. I may not like the perfume however, but I will give it a chance. Take Rochas Man as an example: 96 positives; 14 neutrals; 11 negs. I feel safe relying on the vast number of positive opinions, compared to the 25 others. All this being stated, nothing beats a tester.

Default Re: " zero " (0 ) negative reviews in the base notes evaluation...mention 5 fragances..

How we're supposed to know?

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Are there even 5 scents on BN with zero negative reviews?? As alfarom wrote, how would you search that?? The best one could do would be percentages of pos/neg- there's a thread about that going on right now, in fact.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Here are 5 with ZERO negative reviews. Hope that helps, but I doubt it. Just because something doesn't have a negative review doesn't give it a robust positive endorsement. Case in point, fragrances with zero reviews, have no negative reviews. Nor do they have any positive reviews.

This can be extended to a fragrance that only has a few reviews. Just because there are no negative reviews, doesn't mean that it is a great fragrance. It has a MUCH higher probability for small sample bias.

If you want to blind buy based on reviews, my suggestion is to go for something with a lot of reviews, a lot of positive reviews, as well as the notes you want. Then read the reviews. Regardless, its still a blind buy cause scent is very personal.

JAGUAR CLASSIC AMBER (2011) BY JAGUAR
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26136208.html

ENCOUNTER (2012) BY CALVIN KLEIN
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26136202.html

REGATTA (2009) BY NAUTICA
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26136221.html

FERRARI BLACK SHINE (2011) BY FERRARI
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26136210.html

PIN 12 BY LE LABO
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26136211.html

Dependent

I think its difficult to find a fragrance with zero negative reviews unless it is not that popular. Any popular scents will bound to have haters. I guess the safest is to read the reviews and understand why some actually garnered the negative reviews. Sometimes a negative review is given not because the fragrance isnt nice, but it just doesnt suit the person'a expectations.
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Comme des Garcons Skai: 18 Positive, ZERO neutral, ZERO negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Comme des Garcons Skai: 18 Positive, ZERO neutral, ZERO negative.

Great! That's a truly amazing fragrance

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Zero negative reviews will lead to less popular fragrances and less popular lines.

MFK has a lot of scents with no negative reviews. Here's five:

Lumiere Noire pour Homme: 13 positive, 0 neutral, 0 negative
    Cologne pour le Soir: 9 positive, 3 neutral, 0 negative
    APOM pour Femme: 6 positive, 0 neutral, 0 negative
    MFK Oud: 5 positive, 0 neutral, 0 negative
    Aqua Universalis Forte: 4 positive, 0 neutral, 0 negative

And some other randoms I've stumbled across:

MDCI Invasion Barbare: 10 positive, 5 neutral, 0 negative
    MDCI Enlevement au Serail: 5 positive, 0 neutral, 0 negative
    Byredo Sunday Cologne/Fantastic Man: 6 positive, 0 neutral, 0 negative
    Profumum Fiore d'Ambra: 8 positive, 2 neutral, 0 negative
    Profumum Olibanum: 7 positive, 2 neutral, 0 negative
    Profumum Ambra Aurea: 6 positive, 1 neutral, 0 negative
    Kilian Incense Oud: 6 positive, 3 neutral, 0 negative

I think a high positive to neutral/negative ratio is more useful. Forum discussion and opinions from trusted members are more useful than that. Actual testing and sampling on skin is the most useful.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    MDCI Invasion Barbare: 10 positive, 5 neutral, 0 negative
    This is no surprise to me.

I've also thought about this a lot, and so far I belive I have spotted a possible winner.

Bois des Iles - (46) positive, (2) neutral, (0) negative. - http://www.basenotes.net/ID10210632.html

For this to be a valid yardstick I think the fragrance has to fulfill a few criterias, something along the lines of: 1) Been on the market for at least a few years, 5+ recommended 2) Have a minimum of at least 20 overall reviews 3) Be fairly "known" in order to attract reviewers from all angles.

Still, though, this serves better as an amusing mini-game for nerds like me, other than deciding which is the perfect scent. :-)
    Last edited by Noalick; 8th July 2012 at 01:21 AM.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

I actually appreciate the negative reviews, because they sometimes give you a very useful critical contrast.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by aldo milani View Post
    Please , mention 5 fragances with zero , nil, 0, reviews in the basenotes evaluation forum...
    tks
    al

Using your suggestion for blind buys is not going to work out well for you. The only chance you will find anything with no negative reviews is if it has been reviewed by a very small amount of people and then just by luck those who did review the fragrance just happened to like it. What starts out as a 10 or 15 positive to 0 negative reviews could turn into a 15 positive to 25 negative reviews in a few weeks.

The better method for searching for good blind buys is to find fragrances that have been reviewed by hundreds or more and has a 80/85/90% positive against 20/15/10% negative reviews and even this is no guarantee you will like your blind buy.
    Living each day one spray at a time

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Roper-Hall View Post
    I will certainly keep my eyes open when I check a fragrance review, but I am not sure that a perfume with, say, a total of 5 reviews, and no negs, is going to influence my decision. Personally I will look at the total positives and compare that amount to the sum of the neutrals and negatives. If the positives outweigh the sum of the other two reviews by more than 2:1, I take that as a good indicator. I may not like the perfume however, but I will give it a chance. Take Rochas Man as an example: 96 positives; 14 neutrals; 11 negs. I feel safe relying on the vast number of positive opinions, compared to the 25 others. All this being stated, nothing beats a tester.
    Ditto. I think many of us here use some kind of thumbnail formula of ratio of good to bad reviews or lack of bad
    reviews when investigating fragrances. But that in itself does not guarantee finding something you'll like. I often
    feel more compelled to try something because of a single very passionate positive review especially by a reviewer you
    feel has a good nose. But in the end only your own nose and personal tastes count for anything. I think blind buys
    are exciting to a lot of perfume users. For me not so much. Although all gifts are welcomed.

^ 1.

To which I would add, extremely enthusiastic supporters as well as fragance snobbery.

As to the first point, I recall a member who would insist on a certain fragrance being "the" masterpiece. Many followed his suggestions only to find later that his enthusiasm was ungrounded. Same thing happened with Encre Noir at the time of its launch, months after many sellers in BN's marketplace were offering it for low prices.

As to fragrance snobbery, I had the chance of trying many fragances sold by niche houses, many characterized by its über lasting power and hypercomplexity at the expense of distinctive synthetic notes and boldness: many of these have a huge range, extensive numbers of supporters... talk against them and you will be facing ostracism and anathema

There is no such thing as a safe blind buy. Choose the method you fancy, but IMHO, the best you can do is try the most before buying.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post

There is no such thing as a safe blind buy. Choose the method you fancy, but IMHO, the best you can do is try the most before buying.
    Ditto again. Hobbes22 came up with some interestind examples of fragrances without negative reviews. One of which
    is MFK Oud. 5 Positives, Zero Negatives. A decent fragrance which I have no interest in owning. If I were to buy
    something like this blind I'd be kicking myself. And one of the positive reviews was mine by the way.

Molinard Vetyver has zero negative reviews and zero neutral reviews. But I seem to be the only one who ever wears this one. I am in total agreement with the posted reviews.

Vetiver Itasca has zero negative reviews and zero neutral reviews. I like it also.

Until recently, Dark Aoud had zero negative reviews and zero neutral reviews. This is a great one.

Bois de Vetiver (Bogart) has zero reviews. Period. This is another great fragrance but I seem to be one of the few on the planet to actually own this.

Vetiver Dana has zero reviews. This is fine but nothing spectacular.

Personally, I've never met a blind buy I didn't like.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 8th July 2012 at 03:45 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post

Until recently, Dark Aoud had zero negative reviews and zero neutral reviews. This is a great one.
    Yeah I see Dark Aoud finally got it's first pink box. Bound to happen sooner or later. It makes me wonder which fragrance
    achieved the most Positives before receiving a Negative or a Neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    Yeah I see Dark Aoud finally got it's first pink box. Bound to happen sooner or later. It makes me wonder which fragrance
    achieved the most Positives before receiving a Negative or a Neutral.
    Yeah, and that negative review was a total pan. Just goes to show you. The fragrances that get the absolute raves and also the "After smelling this I threw up down the toilet and poured this sh*t in after it" type views tend to be the ones I like best.

Eau de Lalique with 14 positive reviews, 0 neg and 0 neutral. It's a pretty nice Eau by the way, but certainly not a masterpiece. A pretty safe blind buy if it is your thing though.

Nobody has smelled it, save a couple of folks and it is only available in Germany or by the very rare split...but...Bruckner Aoud 1 has no negative reviews. Delicious stuff too.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Noalick View Post
    I've also thought about this a lot, and so far I belive I have spotted a possible winner.

Bois des Iles - (46) positive, (2) neutral, (0) negative. - http://www.basenotes.net/ID10210632.html

For this to be a valid yardstick I think the fragrance has to fulfill a few criterias, something along the lines of: 1) Been on the market for at least a few years, 5+ recommended 2) Have a minimum of at least 20 overall reviews 3) Be fairly "known" in order to attract reviewers from all angles.

Still, though, this serves better as an amusing mini-game for nerds like me, other than deciding which is the perfect scent. :-)
    I could be the first to give it a negative review, but I no longer have my decant. Aldehydes hate me.

Sometimes the way a negative review describes a fragrance, or the reasons a reviewer doesn't like a fragrance strike me as reasons why I WOULD like it.

The "smells like a tub of piss someone farted in" type of negative reviews are often amusing, but basically just noise to me that I filter out in deciding what I might like.
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    Yeah, and that negative review was a total pan. Just goes to show you. The fragrances that get the absolute raves and also the "After smelling this I threw up down the toilet and poured this sh*t in after it" type views tend to be the ones I like best.
    I would never accuse a reviewer of posting an insincere review. But we all know how there will always be users gunning for a front-runner and if they really don't like the fragrance more than willing to shoot it down. And I include myself in that pack of wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    I would never accuse a reviewer of posting an insincere review. But we all know how there will always be users gunning for a front-runner and if they really don't like the fragrance more than willing to shoot it down. And I include myself in that pack of wolves.
    As a professional critic (not of perfumes), I have to say that it takes some serious, conscious effort not to write an insincere review. Various agendas, fond memories, petty jealousies, warm fuzzies, long-dead controversies, and axes lusting for the grindstone are always trying to creep in, like rodents looking for a warm spot to spend the winter. One learns to listen for the little squeaks in other people's reviews.

Banned
    Blog Entries

tks
    al

I really don't think having 0 negatives should be the basis of being a blind buy.

Almost all of the frags with 0 negatives have under 5 or 10 positives, meaning that it's not a large enough sample to judge it by.

Found another one by accident, I derry-do you to buy it blind though!

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126365.html
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

Aigner Black :
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26124232.html

10 positive -2 Neutral

I bought it blindly 2 weeks ago ... It is very nice but will not buy again
    Top 10 :
    1-Strictly Private Baldessarini
    2-Pure Havane
    3-Midnight in Paris
    4-Amber Sultan -- Chergui
    5-Dunhill Desire -- Aigner Black
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6-Seduction in Black -- La nuit de L'homme
    7-Angel Schlesser oriental edition II -- J.del Puzo Arabian Nights
    8-Versace PH -- Versace The Dreamer
    9-Mont Blanc Individuele -- Mont Blanc Legend
    10-Dirty English -- CK Shock -- CH men

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128774.html

One of my favorites and shoulda/coulda/woulda been the hype train frag if it were made by Dior.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128774.html

One of my favorites and shoulda/coulda/woulda been the hype train frag if it were made by Dior.
    I don't have any personal experience with this fragrance but looking over the reviews I can't get too excited about trying it. It has a lot of neutral reviews and those can be just as damning as bad ones, maybe moreso sometimes, at least with a good OR a bad review you were moved one way or another. It becomes a classic case of damning with faint praise.

Skai just proved that all positive reviews doesn't make a safe blind buy - I blind bought this and really didn't like it, ended up selling it. Not becuase it was too synthetic and plasticy - infact, it wasn't enough. Instead I found the grapefruit more prominent than I wanted and I had two people tell me I just smelled like "bad spicy cologne", it has a sweaty cologne feel, no plastic I'm familiar with. It is a shame. Bad reviews/neutral reviews are always a good comparison when they make an indepth point - not just "smells like poo" as many unfortunate waste of comments say.

Actually, it doesn't work that way. A page with hundreds of reviews, even if some are negative, is way more trustworthy than a page with a few reviews that are all positive. A few fanboys can write glowing reviews of a crap frag because they want to support the house. Also, negative reviews can be a reason TO buy something. I may post a negative review of a frag that has too much incense for me, but if you love incense, my negative review could help you decide TO blind buy.

Comme des Garcons Jaisalmer and Ourzazate are two more with zero negatives and 18 positives each I believe.

Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud, Creed Bois de Santal, Chanel Bois dels Iles, Chanel Cristalle, Perfum d'Hermes, L'Eau d'Artisan.

- - - Updated - - -

Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud, Creed Bois de Santal, Chanel Bois dels Iles, Chanel Cristalle, Perfum d'Hermes, L'Eau d'Artisan.