Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: rive gauche (for men)

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVE it

50 34.97%
  • like it

49 34.27%
  • nuetral

16 11.19%
  • dislike it

11 7.69%
  • HATE it

1 0.70%
  • haven't tried it

16 11.19%
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Rive Gauche (for men)

To me, it seems this one is not a love or hate. The variations of opinion on this one have a smaller range. I think most people will like this or be nuetral on it. Sure, there will be some people who hate it and some who love it, but those will be less common.

At opening it smells like Barber Shop and Barbasol, definitely. But the scent develops into much more than that later on. I found it to be green and mossy, masculine, but very subtle and not loud (which is the best part about this one). I can definitely recommend this to an older crowd, but if younger crowds like this one, why not give it a shot? I'm 20 and I'd probably wear this every now and then.

Also, it's very cheap for the amount of juice you get. I'm not a fan of buying cologne just because its cheap, but if you really like it, then that's a good bonus.

I originally think I gave this one a 6 the first day I tested this, it's probably going to move up to a 7 or 8.

Default Re: Rive Gauche (for men)

It's easy to like and a staple in many a wardrobe, a worthy fragrance for any fragrance enthusiast.

Banned

It's not half as interesting or daring as Rive Gauche (1971; vintage formulation) but I like it nonetheless (only know vintage formulation).

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    It's easy to like and a staple in many a wardrobe, a worthy fragrance for any fragrance enthusiast.
    Yeah, in a big varied collection, I think this belongs somewhere. To me, this is not a specific occasion scent, but rather something you can wear casually when you aren't in the mood for any of your all-time favorites.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    It's not half as interesting or daring as Rive Gauche (1971; vintage formulation) but I like it nonetheless (only know vintage formulation).
    wasnt that for women though?

Have it and love it.

I will never be without it.
    Mark K

There are fragrances I love and frags I like. This one is the like factor for me, nothing groundbreaking. Certainly a staple in my wardrobe.

Havent smelthed it yet, but i do have a sample on the way

Banned

Rive Gauche pour Homme in the tin/aluminum can only, see below, is very good:

I like it, but don't love it.

Rive Gauche PH is less a fragrance I have a great desire to smell or get great pleasure from smelling, and more one that I will wear when I want to smell like it (if that makes any sense).
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Banned
    Blog Entries

Makes sense considering your username lol

Seriously though I know exactly what you mean

I just like it but I think I'm a bit bored with RGpH these days.

i can´t imagine anyone disliking this. It's amazing, but i am not wearing a lot because is lasts for ages on fabric and my wardrobe was smelling RG a lot... dominant way.

I love it but longevity is only 3/4 hour! I'm searching for another one with barbershop vibe (like opening of rgph) what can I try??

This is one of the very few fougeres that I've never been able to fully appreciate. I still find Or Black to be miles ahead of this...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Like to love - great soapy notes that remind me of an enjoyably familiar fashion style, mindset and attitude about life.

I've only worn this twice. I can appreciate it for it's quality, but it's not really my style.

Basenotes Plus

Neutral. Could never really dislike it but after much perseverance I still can't work up much enthusiasm either.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 8th July 2012 at 04:29 PM.

I have a bottle and will probably hold on to it, as a reference for a typical fougere fragrance, but it's not a style I really enjoy wearing.

Just not my style. Its just too old school & mature for me. Not sure what note it is (maybe rosemary combined with cloves & Vetiver), anyway, it just reminds me of something my grandfather would've worn. I guess I can appreciate it, but I really can't see it garnering any attention from females under the age of 50 (except maybe "creepy old man" associations) Lol.

Nothing against it if you like it, but this was an instant, "no way" for me from my first sample.

One of my faves.

I like it. It's a comfort scent that evokes a long past childhood of going to the barbershop. It is a scent that one can wear easily in a wide variety of settings. It has also gotten me compliments from total strangers, so there you have it. :-)

i Love IT.........must HAVEEEEE!!

indispensable in any collection.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Disliked. I can see the "barbershop" feel to some extent but think Clubman does it a lot better. I found this suffocating and a little "heady" On me..but not in the exhilarating way.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 9th July 2012 at 04:15 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Not really a huge fan of this one.

Don't hate it, but I don't even want to pay the $25 Walmart price for it. There are much better shave-and-a-haircut scents out there for not much more money.

Fantastic stuff. So clean and fresh yet dry and austere, simple yet complex, gentleman yet stripped, respectful yet funny.
    I think it reflects Tom Ford itself perfectly.

It's a clean scent. I'm not a huge fan of the after-shave, after-shower type of scents but this one is really good. I like to wear it in the morning it's the kind of stuff you wear if you have a date at 8-9am.(believe me it happens lol) It's a must have!
    "You can look at a picture for a week an never think of it again. You can also look at a picture for a second and think of it all your life." Joan Miro

My long overdue first full wearing of this scent today. Have to admit, I really like it. An epic manly scent which deserves its reputation.

I do like this.....a very good fragrance.....Gary

- - - Updated - - -

I do like this.....a very good fragrance.....Gary

Dislike it: cheap shaving soap!

i voted 'i like it' but i should add, 'a lot'.

This is one fragrance that I found to be worth the hype, love it!

I can't say it's my favorite scent, but because it is so versatile it is probably my most worn fragrance. Well worth the low price it sells for.

Quote Originally Posted by ubergeek View Post
    Not really a huge fan of this one.

Don't hate it, but I don't even want to pay the $25 Walmart price for it. There are much better shave-and-a-haircut scents out there for not much more money.
    Mind sharing which "shave-and-a-haircut" scents come to your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Neutral. Could never really dislike it but after much perseverance I still can't work up much enthusiasm either.
    Me too, but my wife loves it. I just sold it, so I still wear the pants here.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I hate when people compare this to barber shop and barbasol. Yes, the opening smells like that, but the drydown is much different.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I hate when people compare this to barber shop and barbasol. Yes, the opening smells like that, but the drydown is much different.
    Agree! It's definitely barbershop to start with, great barbershop. But then it mellows to something rougher and less "clean" in a sense. Not at all like shaving foam, just natural top top fougere. It now occupies my top three fougeres:

Invasion Barbare
    Rive Gauche

Sartorial

It looks like they're relaunching this stuff in the UK, in fancier (and smaller) bottles with a price hike - at Debenhams, for example, it's £58 for 80ml.

But CheapSmells still has the 125ml can, for £28.85.

I haven't smelled it, but it sounds like it's close to mainstream fougere, which makes me think I'll like it - so I've taken the risk of a blind buy while it's still available here relatively cheap. Wish me luck
    Alan

Quite like this but just keep feeling that it needs to be a bit more potent. Just lacking that extra kick. Not tried the vintage version, so I wonder if that is any different to whats currently available in the high street stores.

Guerlainista

I love it. Is it a fougere? If it is, it's my favorite one, unless Jicky counts as one too.

It's a perfectly composed masculine with a beautiful evolution. I love the dry down at the end of the day, and the opening is brilliant.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    Agree! It's definitely barbershop to start with, great barbershop. But then it mellows to something rougher and less "clean" in a sense. Not at all like shaving foam, just natural top top fougere. It now occupies my top three fougeres:

Invasion Barbare
    Rive Gauche

Sartorial
    Yeah, I think of a moss scent when I smell this at dry down. An appealing moss scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
    I love it but longevity is only 3/4 hour! I'm searching for another one with barbershop vibe (like opening of rgph) what can I try??
    You may want to give T&H Grafton a try. By itself, the longevity isn't the best, but when paired with the aftershave balm it lasts through most of the workday.

Quote Originally Posted by Grungevig View Post
    Mind sharing which "shave-and-a-haircut" scents come to your mind?
    Paco Rabanne PH, Azzaro PH and Aramis Tuscany spring to mind.

I don't hate Rive Gauche, but there's something sulphurous in its dry down that leaves me not wanting to wear it anywhere.

just sampled this for the first time a few minutes ago. It on my skin now. Let me tell you, it definitely surprised me.

Rive Gauche is in my top five. I'm into all things retro (vinyl, film, etc.) and this fits my taste to a tee.

I live in Minnesota, where unsolicited comments are extremely rare (especially among rural males). Yet, there are two complements that I consistently experience that are seemingly immune to race, socioeconomic status (or politics ?).

1. My handlebar moustache (~1-2/week, 80% male, 20% female).
    2. Rive Gauche PH in about 10% rotation (~30 times/year, 50/50 male/female).

My summary: If it looks and smells good to you and to others around you, and fits your aesthetic, then life is sublime.

My bottle arrived today, and it's good stuff! It's very much what I expect when I think "fougere", though it's a bit more delicate than I expected, which is good. I expected something a bit more "in yer face" - I don't know why really, probably the brash-looking bottle.

The opening is quite restrained, and when the heart starts to develop, it's very nice indeed - I haven't had it on long enough for the base notes yet. The lavender does seem a little artificial, but I like it.

One thing this thread is reinforcing for me is that the term "barber shop" is utterly meaningless when talking of fragrances - I've smelled half a dozen things now that are regularly described as "barber shop", and they're all completely different from each other.

But anyway, at the discounted prices you can get the 125ml cans for these days, I reckon Rive Gauche is a must-have!

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I wore this stuff yesterday, and even had a quick spray on my pillow to help me sleep (I find lavender very relaxing). My wife is away at the moment, but I know she'll like it on me.

Anyway, my point is just to say that I've had this for a little more than 24 hours, and I love it!
    Alan

I'd love a small sample of this and am willing to swap something from my list. UK only. Please PM me and I'll send you my list of frags. Thanks!

Definitely like the scent, but longevity doesn't seem too great on me. Will play with it some more before deciding if I want to keep it or not.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Quote Originally Posted by Fragmeister View Post
    I'd love a small sample of this and am willing to swap something from my list. UK only. Please PM me and I'll send you my list of frags. Thanks!
    Check your inbox
    Alan

Like it, reminds of Azzaro Pour Homme a little.
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

I have sampled it before and I thought it was okay. It is a fresh scent and great for the price!

Amazing stuff.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I find Rive Gauche to be an amazing scent! I mean the canned version not the bottled!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!