Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Parfums de Rosine sample pass around

Hello everyone,
    I have 15 Parfums e Rosine samples which I would love to pass around, hear your opinions and compare them to mine. As there are 15 samples which can attribute to scarily long posts, I decided to split them up in three groups, each containing five samples.

Group 1: Masculine

Rosissimo – my favorite on a man
    Twill Rose - animalic, not my cup of tea, but my hubby liked it a lot
    Rose D’Homme – too powdery for my hubby
    Un Rose au Bord de la Mer – my husband’s favorite
    Ecume de Rose – last one is feminine, but it can be worn by men in my humble opinion which my pickup driving, beer drinking husband fully supports.
    Diabolo Rose

Group 2: Green, citrusy, summery

Clair Matin – remainded me of Bvlgari creations
    Rose D’Ete – pretty, pretty, pretty green apple
    Lotus Rose - Green, fresh, boring
    La Rose Legere – my favorite from this group
    Un Zest de Rose – lemony, and yes, zesty
    Diabolo Rose

Group 3: Femme Fatale (Rosine’s version)

La Rose de Rosine – sophisticated aldehydes
    Rose Praline – sugar and spice and everything nice
    Rose Kashmirie – more spice, no sugar, with saffron on a side
    Secrets de Rose – dirty saffron, close relative to – see above
    Une Folie de Rose – most Femme Fatale from them all (again, Rosine’s version)
    Diabolo Rose

These are 2 ml samples in a various state of use, and I estimate that there is probably enough for 2-3 people per each group to comfortably share. As soon as I get all groups together I will mail them right away. Thank you and let the fun begin! 
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 9th July 2012 at 04:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Parfums de Rosine sample pass around

If you like I can contribute 3 samples of Diabolo Rose so that each group can have 6 fragrances to test.

(I have tested them all and do not wish to join the pass.)

Thank you 30 Roses, for your kindness, I think it is a great idea!

I would like to participate. any of the groups would do, perhaps the masculine would be my preferred.

cacio

Blog Entries

I'll mail you samples of Diabolo Rose tomorrow, then.

I would love to try the group of masculines, of course if shipping from USA to Poland is not a problem. If there will be more interest in this group I'd be happy to declare to be the last recipient of the samples, so that they won't have to travel too much over the ocean or something

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I would like to participate. any of the groups would do, perhaps the masculine would be my preferred.

cacio
    Cacio,

I would absolutely love to have you. You are most certainly in for a masculine group!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    I would love to try the group of masculines, of course if shipping from USA to Poland is not a problem. If there will be more interest in this group I'd be happy to declare to be the last recipient of the samples, so that they won't have to travel too much over the ocean or something
    Welcome, Lucasai!

I see no problem at all, it is probably better if there is only two people for masculine group as my husband was rather fond of Un Rose au Bord de la Mer, and it was most used. If Cacio doesn't mind to ship to Poland, you are most welcome!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I'll mail you samples of Diabolo Rose tomorrow, then.
    Thank you so much 30 roses. And you are getting Heeley whether you like it or not. I have your address...

What a fabulous sample pass idea, Whitefluffy! I would love to sign on for the "femme fatale" group if possible. I have been very interested in exploring this house more.

- - - Updated - - -
    double post glitch
    Last edited by cestrum nocturnum; 8th July 2012 at 04:54 PM.

Whitefluffy, thank you for doing this. I'd love to be part of group 2 citrusy/summer if there is room.

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    What a fabulous sample pass idea, Whitefluffy! I would love to sign on for the "femme fatale" group if possible. I have been very interested in exploring this house more.

- - - Updated - - -
    double post glitch
    Welcome, you are in! I am so looking forward to your very thorough and fascinating posts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    Whitefluffy, thank you for doing this. I'd love to be part of group 2 citrusy/summer if there is room.
    You are in, Firehorse, for citrusy/summery group. Welcome!

Thank you, Whitefluffy! Can I please have a spot in the Femme Fatale group? This is so nice- 3 groups! Will be fun to follow.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    Thank you, Whitefluffy! Can I please have a spot in the Femme Fatale group? This is so nice- 3 groups! Will be fun to follow.
    And I'm in the one of the groups too! (Well, I am, if cacio agrees to ship to Poland once he's done)

So, a question to cacio: will you ship the samples to Poland when you try and review them here?

My dearest PerfumedLady, you are most welcome! You are in for Femme Fatale after Cestrum Nocturnum

Yay! This will be fun, Cestrum! I will be eagerly awaiting your thoughts!

Group 1 Masculine is closed. Yay! We have:

1. Cacio
    2. Lucasai - Cacio will ship regular mail.

Yaay! Great, thanks cacio!

I updated the list in each of the groups above to include Diabolo Rose generously donated by 30 Roses. As soon as I receive them from 30 Roses I will mail to the first complete group we have - Masculines

Ladies, don't be shy, there is place still: 2 places remaining in summery/ citrusy and one in Femme Fatale group.

Have a great day, everyone!

Blog Entries

I mailed the Diabolo Rose samples this morning to Whitefluffy by First Class.

I didn't bother with DC but they'll probably arrive on Thursday; Wednesday if we're lucky.

queen of the universe

either femme fatale or masculine would suit me.

I have a sample pass proposal out there also—busy sample season here at BN!—the subject being Weil Then and Now; hop over if interested:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...l-Then-and-Now
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Jujy, you are in for Femme Fatale!

Great, now we have group "Femme Fatale" complete and closed:

1. Cestrum Nocturnum
    2. PerfumedLady
    3. Jujy54

As soon as I receive Diabolo Rose I will mail out Masculine and Femme Fatale group. Yay, I am so excited!

Femme fatale sounds right up my alley but I will go for whatever if there is a spot. If someone else wants any/my spot..please take it.. I don't want to be greedy with the sniffs!

Whitefluffy, we're excited as well!

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Femme fatale sounds right up my alley but I will go for whatever if there is a spot. If someone else wants any/my spot..please take it.. I don't want to be greedy with the sniffs!
    Kalli you are most welcome for green/summery/citrusy group. I already closed Femme Fatale but if there will be enough left for Jujy and if she can share we would love to have you on Femme Fatale as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    Whitefluffy, we're excited as well!
    Thanks

Oh the summery green is just fine with me. Though, anything named Rose Praline sounds too yummy, not to mention, saffron! But summery will do!. Thanks a lot!.

queen of the universe

kalli, I will contact you if there's any femme fatale left (:
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Ok. But no big deal. Don't mind that summery lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    Welcome, you are in! I am so looking forward to your very thorough and fascinating posts.
    Yay! This will be fun, Cestrum! I will be eagerly awaiting your thoughts!

Oh, gosh, you are both too sweet!!! Thank you for sharing and organizing this, Whitefluffy!!! PerfumedLady, I'm so happy you'll be sniffing too!

It's looking like a mini fruity pass reunion, lol! Except Cacio and Whitefluffy have switched sniff-starter and sniffer places this time.

Blog Entries

By way of information, Aedes sells (and therefore can sell samples of):

Rose Praline
    Rose d'Homme
    Une Folie de Rose
    Un Zeste de Rose
    Ecume de Rose
    Roseberry
    Rose D'Été and
    La Rose de Rosine.

Samples are 7 for $15 including shipping and they are the little glass vials, decanted (not manufacturer samples.)
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th July 2012 at 05:04 AM. Reason: typo

One more person needed for summery/citrusy group. Anyone?

- - - Updated - - -

I mailed Masculine and Femme Fatale groups today, Yay!. I think we will just start summery/citrusy group and if anyone decides to join later, they will be most welcome. So far we have in summery/citrusy group:

1. firehorse
    2. Kalli

Firehorse, please pm me your address .

Got the masculine packet (thanks whitefluffy). It's late now but will start soon...

cacio

The Femme Fatale package arrived safely today too! Thank you again, Whitefluffy! I will start sniffing asap.

I haven't received a reply from firehorse yet, may be we should start with kalli for citrusy group? Kalli would you PM me your address please?

Had time to do some testing:

Twill Rose: after a quick green rose burst, a nice, smooth musky-animalic note is readily apparent on skin, overlaid with a light rose. Luca Turin identifies the base as Animalis. Not sure about the longevity - but then 100F is not the right day to test longevity. I had smelled this in store and didn't feel much, but I was under post-Lutensian olfactory fatigue. I'll retest again in store, and if the animalics are as evident as this, it's going to be a buy.

Un Rose au bord de la mer: with such a fearsome name, I was expecting the worse. Luckily, this rose has not been tossed in a bilge. It's a light rose with a sort of salty feel, over a light marine base. Not that I would wear it, but at least it is not offensive. People who cannot do without their marines should look into this.

Rose d'homme: classical, smooth, masculine, a light rosy floral with a touch of spices and woods. On par with the best masculine roses.

Ecume de rose: fresh, pleasant rose with a touch of berries

Diabolo rose: not diabolic in the least. A fresh rose with a nice candy note. I don't feel much mint per se, but more a generic fresh candy note. Surprisingly persistent.

Rosissimo: the least rosy of the group. A citrus burst up top, followed by a vegetal, woody-mossy middle and drydown, with just a faintly perceptible rose on top. In fact, if it didn't have the emasculating rose reference in the name and were not in a range called Rosine, this would be talked about as an old style fresh masculine.

Except for the marine, I can see myself wearing most of the group. My preference goes to twill, but rose d'homme and rosissimo are also standouts to my nose.

cacio

I agree with you, cacio, that Twill Rose, Rossissimo, and Rose D'Homme are most interesting from this group. I would give my preference to Rossissimo, only because Twill Rose is a bit too naughty for me.

Oooohh I missed this! Wouldn't have joined, as I have all these and adore most. My favourites: Poussiere de Rose, Secrets de Rose, Une Folie de Rose, Rose praline....

So far the only one I've disliked is Diabolo. Havent tested the rest yet. When I went to Paris, I immediately bought a small bottle of Poussiere (very underrated), and large bottle of Praline. Looking forward to reading all your thoughts!

I know I'm not part of the group, but would it be ok if I sort of joined in with my samples, as well? I'd love to bounce ideas with people as I've been testing these alone and dont really have anyone here to share this love of perfume with.
    Perfume appeals to my nose the way music appeals to my ears, exquisite food to my taste buds, photography to my eyes, and great loving from my man to my sense of touch.

I can safely conclude, then, that PERFUME IS ART in its purest form.

As an artist, I therefore have a responsibility to buy as much perfume as I can. You know, to learn about art and all.

http://www.sheblogsitall.com

I will watch this with interest. I am too far away to play.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Mumsy, I wouldnt mind sending you my samples as long as you don't mind sending them back to me after (is that a rude request? I hope not)? I would have let you keep them, but I sent off 3 samples of Rosine once, and regret not being able to resniff as my taste keeps changing drastically.

I'm in Holland so they'd reach you pretty quickly.

Let me know! Also, let me know if you'd prefer some of them or all of them. I do not have Diabolo or Zephyr (I sent those off, and now I'm in an anise phase which is really getting to me!).

EDIT: Just remembered I dont have Poussiere anymore either, as I sent this to a friend after I bought the bottle. I'll spray a card with it for you though.
    Last edited by zubi; 19th July 2012 at 09:26 PM.
    Perfume appeals to my nose the way music appeals to my ears, exquisite food to my taste buds, photography to my eyes, and great loving from my man to my sense of touch.

As an artist, I therefore have a responsibility to buy as much perfume as I can. You know, to learn about art and all.

Quote Originally Posted by zubi View Post
    Oooohh I missed this! Wouldn't have joined, as I have all these and adore most. My favourites: Poussiere de Rose, Secrets de Rose, Une Folie de Rose, Rose praline....

So far the only one I've disliked is Diabolo. Havent tested the rest yet. When I went to Paris, I immediately bought a small bottle of Poussiere (very underrated), and large bottle of Praline. Looking forward to reading all your thoughts!

I know I'm not part of the group, but would it be ok if I sort of joined in with my samples, as well? I'd love to bounce ideas with people as I've been testing these alone and dont really have anyone here to share this love of perfume with.
    Zubi - of course we would absolutely love your insight, the more opinions the better! Please join! There is still place left in citrusy/summery group

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    mumsy you are not too far away to play. There is still place on summery/citrusy group and if firehorse would feel uncomfortable shipping internationally, she can ship it back to me and I will ship it to you. Maybe you and zubi can share?
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 19th July 2012 at 10:38 PM.

Just popping in to say hi and to apologize for being a little slower than anticipated! My mom had knee surgery last Friday, so I've been visiting her frequently and taking care of the household stuff and pet care that she can't manage just yet. I will finish up this weekend for sure and get them out soon!

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    Just popping in to say hi and to apologize for being a little slower than anticipated! My mom had knee surgery last Friday, so I've been visiting her frequently and taking care of the household stuff and pet care that she can't manage just yet. I will finish up this weekend for sure and get them out soon!
    Don't worry, cestrum nocturnum, take your time. Life doesn't step aside for perfume sampling group

Zubi - of course we would absolutely love your insight, the more opinions the better! Please join! There is still place left in citrusy/summery group

- - - Updated - - -

mumsy you are not too far away to play. There is still place on summery/citrusy group and if firehorse would feel uncomfortable shipping internationally, she can ship it back to me and I will ship it to you. Maybe you and zubi can share?
    Yay! Looking forward to sharing sometime in the weekend. I'll just post my views on each one (I love the men's ones too!) Thanks Whitefluffy.

Yes, I don't mind sending mumsy my samples as she is just one country away. As long as she doesn't mind sending them back to me after, as this is one house I want to keep for reference (unless of course, I end up owning every single one as a FB one day!).

To those of you who have tried and tested a Rosine more than once, or worn it properly - do you find that you scoff when you smell other rose scents (unless they are thick or gourmandy somehow)? (OK, not "scoff", but I have found that Rosine really does their roses well when it comes to light, spring-like, juicy frags)

I agree with you that, for what I have smelled, there's nobody who does rose soliflores like Rosine. They're natural smelling, pleasant, with interesting twists on the main theme.

That said, on average, I still prefer perfumes where the rose is one of the players, like, say, Calandre, Joy, or some Amouages and Montales.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I agree with you that, for what I have smelled, there's nobody who does rose soliflores like Rosine. They're natural smelling, pleasant, with interesting twists on the main theme.

That said, on average, I still prefer perfumes where the rose is one of the players, like, say, Calandre, Joy, or some Amouages and Montales.

cacio
    I agree with you cacio. I prefer my roses in a background as a supporting player too: White Aoud, Incense Rose. I did appreciate the quality and the treatment of roses in a Rosine line as well. Some rose fragrances can smell old fashioned or too heavy on a geranium. Rosine does roses very well, that's for sure.

Just wanted to check in and say I received the #2 batch. I just smelled them each very quickly. No testing. I got pretty sneezy with these, even when I opened the envelope I started sniffling, that's usually an indicator of musk to me. And I did get musk from some of these. I probably should have read the notes beforehand, I may have passed it up but besides the musk, I do get gorgeous rose notes. I also get green, sweet, citrus and watery notes. But no testing yet. When I opened the envelope..ahhh roses! But then oh noooo, a lot of musk. Lol. The only musk I can seem to handle is Musc Ravageur-probably cause I don't get much musk from it, I get way more cinnamon, spice and everything nice. But anyway, the Rosines are obviously green scents..kinda reminded me of Annick Goutal Quel Amour when I opened the package. Anyway, I will have to check back in a bit.

And not sure who I am supposed to pass these to after? Firehorse? Don't have the address though.

One note, I really narrowed down an Annick Goutal Quel Amour scent-it was Diablo Rose. I get minty rose notes.
    Last edited by kalli; 21st July 2012 at 04:48 AM.

Don't worry, cestrum nocturnum, take your time. Life doesn't step aside for perfume sampling group
    Thank you for understanding! Here are my impressions for the first two that I sampled:

Secret de Rose is a very dusty, sweet, old rose fragrance. It opens with the strong tea rose scent, but highlighted with a sharp, green element and a warm floral. Over about 5-10 minutes, it develops a slightly metallic, cool note that always stumps me, but later when I review the notes online, there always seems to be “plum,” so I tend to think this is how I perceive the alleged plum note. (???) There is a sweet, citrusy lemon peel and something spicy, perhaps cinnamon. Interestingly, there is also the slightest bit of a cigarette smoke. I checked online after my sniffing, and I did not find it mentioned, but I really sensed it many times over the course of 5-10 minutes. After about 10-15 minutes the scent faded quite a bit on my skin, but remained a lovely tea rose over a light backdrop of incense and amber. There was also a “warm green” smell, and in retrospect, I wonder if it is actually the “balmy” note that I see mentioned online. The scent is very warm, creamy and vanillic. As time passes, the rose reminds me of dried potpourri of rose petals; a rich, dry, dusty rose. There is a bit of a hairspray smell, but not offensively so. The lighter florals are more evident, and overall the scent becomes more of a floral mélange, with jasmine and other creamy flowers, similar to Fleur de Rocaille. The incense and amber are still smoldering in the background, and a sheer sandalwood note joins. The drydown continues this trajectory. I read online that the perfume also has a saffron accord, but I did not sense it at all. I do love saffron, so that would have been very welcome. Likewise, anise was mentioned online, but I did not sense it either. It was a very pleasant, enjoyable rose, and infinitely wearable, however, I am not sure it would warrant a full bottle purchase. Perhaps if it evolved a bit more and lasted longer/was stronger, I would appreciate it more, although I may have been too stingy with my application.

La Rose de Rosine opens with a fantastic burst of violet and rose. The combo is not a waxy version, but a fresh, dewy violet. The scent is sweet with candied stone fruits like peach or plum, and bright florals. The florals are redolent of spring blooms, such as lilac, hyacinth and orange blossoms. After about 5-10 minutes it becomes somehow edible, with a cherry candy plus booze aroma. The rose becomes increasingly perfumey, similar to vintage YSL Paris, and the accompanying florals now remind me somewhat of Champs Elysee. A bit later, an interesting butterscotch aroma pops out. However, the bright florals and rose with the edible sweets do not become cloying, as there is also a tiny, underlying dark thread of something dirty, like a mixture of cumin, earth and musk. After about 20 minutes, the rose is big and powdery. A sweet, vanillic scent with musk becomes evident. The scent does not develop much after this point. The drydown is a fairly generic floral aldehyde with very little, or no discernible rose remaining. This perfume had such an interesting and yummy beginning, it was a little disappointing that it sort of fizzled out on my skin. If it retained more of the rose and vanilla, it would have been more satisfying to my nose.

(I try to sniff blindly, then look at notes and reviews online, and I've noticed here and with other perfumes that it seems like I need to work on identifying labdanum, tonka bean, benzoin, and peru balsam. I think I sense the latter three only as something “vanillic.” Lol… Sorry for my ineptitude!)

Oh, cestrum nocturnum, what a gorgeous reviews - as always. You have nothing to apologize for: I don't know how labdanum, tonka bean, and many others smell like on their own either. Maybe we need to get together sometimes and do raw material sniffing .

It is so interesting how differently we perceive notes: I could pick up lots of saffron in Secrets de Rose. I loved your potpourri comparison and agree with your perception of it as dusty.

It also interesting to see different reaction to skin chemistry as well: I never got any powder with La Rose de Rosine and it lasted a long time on me. I think it was my favorite from Femme Fatale group. Again, what a beautiful descriptions, it is such a pleasure to read.

- - - Updated - - -

And not sure who I am supposed to pass these to after? Firehorse? Don't have the address though.
    Firehorse is next one in line, I will PM you her address. I am sorry musk makes you sneeze so much.

So sorry, not been able to test yet! I have tested some before so I'll type my old rough notes here, but will retest another time as I was new to perfume then:

Secrets de Rose (first test):
    Yummy licorice rose with rose. Smells like the heart of Chanel Coco on me, must compare. If not similar, would like a bottle.
    Second test:
    Plum is strong with a darkness, bitter orange pops up with licorice. Amber is noticeable from its sticky sweetness. Slight sharpness of cumin and rose in background. Amber might be too much. Musk or something coming through. Something lemon-rindy. Something earthy and bitter (oakmoss?) or musk, now there is a sharper brighter rose. Licorice is now in background, amber not too much. Cools down. Is much more fresh later.

Rose de la Rosine:
    Beautiful creamy violets open, then a spicy rose. Slight musk. Dirty foody smell in background. Vanilla-y, a bit too gourmand (note: I love gourmands now! What was wrong with me??). Perhaps the violet is too creamy. Goes back to pretty violet with sparkling sweet note, dewy rose. Slight synthetic sweet note. Not sure I like. I can smell a woody (?) base I like. Then it gets a soapy quality. Like, don't love.

Une Folie de Rose
    "Civety" rose (or whatever that animalic smell is). Dirty sexy smell is strongest. Slight cardamom/clove/cumin (Note: used to confuse these!). Doesnt change much, like it but don't love it. Ubar does this better. (Note: I have since worn this a few times, and find this a sharper skank than Ubar, very nice, but still not sure about a FB).

Zephyr de Rose
    Candied rose. Rose water + anise + basil. Opens with a pure pure rose. Then gets warm. Basil too much for me. Gets spicier like chilli. Sent this one on to a rose lover on Basenotes.

Diabolo Rose
    Opens with sweet peppermint, then spiced peppered rose. I do not like such obvious peppermint, sending this one to a rose lover on Basenotes. "Rose bushes and frozen mint" describes this perfectly; very cool scent for hot days.

Poussiere de Rose (I own this, and now get only tea, rose, and incense in a powdery way)
    The plum and apricot jump out with an edge. Sweetness of rose always there. Slightly powdery, and then the woods and the cinnamon and rose strengthen. Very beautifully blended, I'm lying when I point anything out on its own as it is always a melange. Try again by day. Gets powdery and light. A little typical at the moment. Sharpens a little.

Lotus Rose
    Watery rose, smells like expensive pretty smelling lotion for older women. Lotus takes over with creamy watery notes. For Mummy? Soft, very feminine. Not for me, too lotion-y. Very very pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by zubi View Post
    Lotus Rose
    Watery rose, smells like expensive pretty smelling lotion for older women. Lotus takes over with creamy watery notes. For Mummy? Soft, very feminine. Not for me, too lotion-y. Very very pretty.
    I agree with you that Lotus Rose although pretty is very boring.

Well, I am sampling Un Zest De Rose..this is truly gorgeous and I sooooooooo want a bottle, but the price!. It's just a wow for me. This may not be the greatest review but..it is what it is right now, sorry beforehand!

Well, it opens with a sparkly, zesty, sugared lemon, it reminds me of those lemon drop candies..tart and sweet at the same time. And the rose is right there along the lemon. The yummy tart lemon subsides a bit and the most beautiful rose emerges. A full, realistic, velvety garden rose and then after a bit, I get just a little candy sweetness sitting on top of those wonderful rose petals. And then green tea right along with the rose, the tea reminding me a little of Bvlgari in that respect. Smooth, sweet, very present green tea and rose. This a very green, very rosy scent. I smell the slightest spice from the tea alongside the rosy petals. The rose remains full, gorgeous with the tea. The rose eventually fades a bit, the scent warms and I get mostly just tea which starts to smell more sweet and little bit like Rooibos tea(red tea) but the rose is still there...but becoming more into the background. The scent warms up more and I get a slight touch of sweet amber, but the tea and the rose, still there. The rose starts to exit and I only get a sweet, light reddish tea and amber. Then eventually just amber. This isn't a rose that makes a quick appearance and ducks out.. it makes it's appearance for quite some time. I see jasmine is one of the notes but I really just get tart and candied lemon zest, rose, tea and a soft touch of amber. This is a must try if you like citrus and a real must try if you like citrus+rose. And if you like tea, this is right up your alley then. Great for spring and summer. Like sugared, extra lemon iced tea with a lot of rose..and a bit of sweet, warm amber. What's not to like here??. My nose hasn't reacted to any musk nor do I detect it, maybe slightly but I don't think there's much in this scent. I get far more amber on the base. I totally need this scent! LOL!
    Last edited by kalli; 22nd July 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Kalli don't despair. Check out Ebay, usually they have plenty Rosines, some partial ones in the $45-80 range. Much better than retail; I almost bought La Rose de Rosine for $48!

I see you are a fellow tea admirer, Rooibos? I love a good tea and fragrances that have tea smell to them. Would you have some tea with me?

But of course!. I do like Au The Rouge by BLV as well. Which is all about the red tea, obviously, no messin around on that one. I will bring that and some of this:

Look, he's diggin the tea so much he's not even thinkin about killing those yummy zebras in the background LOL. Haha.

No, he probably knows that he will get them after enjoying his tea, he is that confident, lol. I will make Orange Blossom Oolong...

Sounds like we going to have a fabulous tea party!

OOooh orange blossom. I think the females are the ones that do most of the hunting anyway, if I remember right. The males just look pretty and have tea. lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Rose D'ete:

Well, when I picked up the sample and sniffed it right out of the vial, I thought creamy hand lotion, like Nivea+bergamot. I just got hand lotion right away. As I applied, a burst of sparkly, sweet notes..like fruity+bergamot..really fresh, bright. But warms up quickly as the rose makes it's appearance(a rose not as dominant in this scent as the last one). I get more tart but sweet fruit notes. It becomes more like just rose+bergamot for a while. It's still sparkly, tart and juicy but warmed up with that rose. I think lime is in here. So I get bergamot, rose and lime notes. But something creamy and bright as well, like mimose. Remains a nice harmony of tart but sweet rose and yellow lime. I get a little bit of a warm spice with the rose as well, just a faint spice. I have no idea if that's anything at all, can roses smell a little spicy? I am so new still, lol. It's like a clove-y smell but not nearly as strong as clove..like a tiny shaving of clove on top of the rose petals. Still remaining a bright, tart scent. Then the rose starts to become more subtle and I get musk. Musk+lime. Remains a lime-musk for quite a while and I get more Nivea lotion notes, lol. The lime starts to exit and I get a soft, floral dry musk & more of that Nivea in there. Then I start to get more rose actually+musk. As I don't like musk too much, I will leave it with that. Not nearly as great of writing as CN but CN just really rocks!

Would I buy this personally, no. Just cause I don't like musk dry downs. Besides musk making me sniffle-y..I just think musk is a boring, dry down when it's mostly musk alone. It just leaves me wanting more. It leaves with a..'really, that's it, musk?' feeling. It's dry, blah..you get it.. I really don't like it. I like powdery dry but not musky dry, if that makes sense? The rest of the notes I liked. I got rose but the tart notes were almost too much for me..as I just wanted to be a little more greedy with the rose.

So, that's that one.
    Last edited by kalli; 23rd July 2012 at 12:22 PM.

I think the females are the ones that do most of the hunting anyway, if I remember right. The males just look pretty and have tea. lol.
    LOL indeed. Sounds like men in my home country: females hunt, clean, and cook while men drink green tea all day long. Only they not very pretty, they just think they are.

I don't care for musk dry downs either. This is what turned me off in TDC Bois D'Iris, the boring musk dry down. You are right, it's just blah...

Oh, cestrum nocturnum, what a gorgeous reviews - as always.
    I will leave it with that. Not nearly as great of writing as CN but CN just really rocks!
    Oh gosh you guys, thanks for the kind words! That’s too sweet.

Kalli, your reviews are great! I always just hope my prattle is not too annoying. I probably have hypergraphia! Lol! Actually, it just helps me to understand things and remember later. Plus, for the past few years (and the foreseeable future, given my career choice) I have been restricted to really dry, boring writing punctuated only by even more boring parenthetical citations and abstracts. This has been so fun in every way. Anyway, thank you for putting up with me so kindly! Here are two more; I will finish the other write ups shortly, and will be mailing the samples off to the lovely PerfumedLady either today or tomorrow!

Une Folie de Rose is a beautiful enigma to my neophyte nose—it is both green yet oriental, containing an inscrutable lightness within the darkness. The immediate rush of spice sprinkled over sweet amber and liquor like aldehydes transports you to a different time. The perfume captures the old fashioned feel of the great classics, such as vintage Arpege and Chanel No. 5. In some sense, the opening also reminds me of the heart of vintage Opium, but lighter and illuminated beautifully like a manuscript. The rose blends seamlessly with white flowers, but remains mysterious with the civet like richness of the indolic jasmine. A touch of leather adds to the slightly animalic aroma. A beautiful green note keeps it light in its entirety, and clean somehow, as the green is very much like the lemony-leafy-chlorophyll scent of wilted lemon balm. At this point, I am reminded of another favorite, vintage No. 19 EDT. The rose and florals continue accented by this warm citrus, which is similar to a boiled rind. Again, the fragrance veers from being too simple and predictable with a very light, but unmistakable scent of ginkgo nuts rotting on the sidewalk in autumn… which, for those unfamiliar with this unforgettable scent, is like a whiff of semen! (Apologies for the indecency!) The perfume is still a delight, and a light incense of some sort is also apparent. I could not identify it, as it was neither as sweet as myrrh nor as bitter as frankincense, but in retrospect after reading notes online, perhaps was benzoin. I will add that to my nose training list! There is also a soapy musk, as the rose continues along with the light white florals. It is a lovely green rose, but it is not a cool spring rose, rather a green rose hot in the summer sun. There is an earthy, mossy undertone, again harkening back to No. 19. A bit of powder keeps the whole fresh and not overly vegetal. As the perfume enters the drydown stage, it retains the green mossiness with added sweet resins and creamy sandalwood. Eventually the resins fade and the remains are a dry, woody aroma with a bit of a masculine edge. After 2 hours, the perfume is a dry vetiver with a bit of sandalwood. This is definitely a favorite of the Rosines I have tried and one that I will likely purchase at some point.

Rose Praline was much nicer than I expected! I am not very fond of pralines or gourmand fragrances, so perhaps that created my initially low expectation. The perfume is like a sweet, spicy dessert made with rose water. These sorts of desserts are amongst my favorites, so the whole praline prejudice flew out the window fairly instantly after my first sniff. The spices are a rather eastern inspired blend of cinnamon, cardamom and perhaps nutmeg. There is a bit of something creamy or milky and something aromatic like bergamot, similar to that in Earl Grey Tea or Persian tea. There is a touch of something fruity and synthetic, but it is not overly so, and does not ruin or cheapen the composition, as it has an interesting counterpoint in the slight bite of pine sap. A vanilla laden chocolate blends with the spices, creating a good impression of Mexican cocoa. In fact, this aspect reminds me of Pacifica’s Mexican Cocoa, though this is less synthetic and of obvious higher quality. As the scent settles down, more of an ambery sweetness is apparent with the spicy rose and cocoa. The rose is lighter, like rose water, and there is an herbal sharpness, perhaps tea. As it develops more, a slightly dirty cumin note joins the rose, and there is also a green floral element balancing the cumin. A bit of a pineapple like aroma is surprising, perhaps the fruit and pine sap from the opening are melding to create this new and improved “hybrid” aroma. The drydown is very much a warm, chocolatey-spicy rose that grows more candy like with time, but a soapy musk keeps it from being too sweet. Interestingly, last winter, I had been layering different perfumes for fun , and one favorite combo of mine( and my bf) was comprised of a very tiny spray of Tea Rose with a spray of Mexican Cocoa, plus two or three big sprays of Au The Vert--- this mix immediately came to mind when I smelled Rose Praline! The product of my layering was crude and unrefined, but had a somewhat similar feel.

I really like the tea note with rose… Kalli, your review makes me want to get a sample of Un Zest de Rose to try! Can I join your tea party, ladies? Just tell me what to bring--I have the gamut ranging from herbals fresh from the garden to dark, cave aged pu-erh. I can also bring the samovar, though I suspect Whitefluffy has one too!

Cn! Fantastic job! See, this is why I love sampling groups- I get to read all these different styles of writing about fragrance.
    Cestrum, I love the way the scents take hold of you and seem to cram thoughts into your head; almost like an out-of-body-experience! I agree with you; writing helps to process what we smell. Never too long for me, my dear! And you're right, tonka and labdanum in particular can seem vanillic.

I love Kalli's conversational and friendly style! You needn't question yourself so much, you're doing great (saw how you sniffed out Souk earlier)! Cacio, I have long admired your concise, cut-right-to-the-bone manner of assessing perfumes. You make me want to edit myself carefully. And Whitefluffy has a wonderful way of drawing parallels between fragrances and well, just about anything. Art, music, colors- she sees and hears them all when she sniffs. If not for sampling groups, I wouldn't know all this about you lot!

We have so many more great sniffers coming up, too! Can't wait to read more!

Cestrum Nocturnum - I love that you like my favourite, Rose Praline, too. If you like the tea with rose note, you would have loved Rosine's Poussiere de Rose. It is tea, rose, and a gorgeous incense. Lovely review! Makes me feel bad about my terrible fashion of writing; I'm still so new at this.

Clair Martin-

Very fresh, green floral scent. I get like a Marc Jacobs Daisy vibe but it's not as sweet as MJ. This one is actually much fresher smelling, less stuffy if that makes sense. On the top, I get very bright, a little sweet, green grassy notes. I detect it's lemon or lemongrass and bergamot. And something perhaps adding to the sweetness, like a fruit, not a lot of fruit but I get fruit. A juicy fruit, a red fruit maybe. Was going to say strawberry but don't think it's strawberry. Remains bright and clean, grassy notes. The fume turns warmer, more spicy as that rose enters. I get a watery note..like a lotus..but not sure. I still get something sweet, not sure of the fruit. There are more flowers than rose here..green and clean like violet and something a little creamy but not tuberose/gardenia creamy. A little lighter on the cream. Not jasmine. The rose smells like a sugared rose which I really like. And something woody..like a sandalwood note under the rose. Now, it's lemon, rose, violet and sandalwood. Maybe another wood in there, not sure. And I get musk..musk emerges from under the rose..drying out all the other notes, if that makes sense. Darn musk, lol. Still get sharp, lemony notes, the rose isn't as strong and I get lemon, a wood and musk. Starts to become more woody and musky. The lemon seems to never give up, lol. Then lemon+musk..the wood starts to make an exit..it was only a tinge of wood I think..but musk is more prominent. Then the lemon exits more and it's all about musk. Like I said, darn musk. Lol.

If one wants a very fresh, green and clean floral for spring...Clair Martin would be one worth checking out.
    Last edited by kalli; 24th July 2012 at 12:04 PM.

Sorry to sound like a broken record -- but it is my job, I thought! -- I have just checked Whitefluffy iTrader profile and was extremely upset for the lack of positive feedback. You guys go there right away and leave her a line or two, pretty please?

Once again, there are no rules set in stone about it, but I have been in a few passes, both as the OP and the middle-woman, that's how it has been done in the past: you receive the package, you leave the positive feedback for the both, one for the original sender who had initiated the pass and another one for the person who sent the samples on to you. It will make YOU look better and people will be more willing to send stuff to you knowing their efforts, time and money are being appreciated. Let's keep the good thing rolling, shall we?

Will do Twolf. Thanks for pointing that out..I didn't think of it!. duncecap!

Sorry Whitefluffy!
    Last edited by kalli; 24th July 2012 at 01:07 PM.