Code of Conduct

Default Trumper's Eucris

OMG.
    This is a brand new territory for me. tremendously satisfying scent! Is it blackcurrant? Or is it vannila?I think my mouth is watering and I am starting to love it the second time around. only I am afraid it's one of those scents strictly reserved for people over 40. Do you think it's dated and is there anything remotely similar to Eucris? thanks!

Default Re: Trumper's Eucris

I have tried a sample of this and I did not like the opening a bit to funky for my tastes. It does though have a great dry peppery sandalwood drydown that I like.

Apparently this is James Bonds scent and there is a mention of it in Diamonds Are Forever so you are in good company. Imo it is a mature business man type of cologne that would go well with wearing a suit.

I like Eucris, I consider it to be a warm spicy-wood sort of scent. There are many in that category, but Eucris is distinctive. I find that on me, the blackcurrant is subdued, and softens some of the dry spice. And I have a real dislike of gobs of vanilla, so the fact that I like Eucris means that the vanilla (for me) is under control. There is a Trumpers social group here at BN, with lots of good discussion.
    http://community.basenotes.net/group...oupid=55&pp=10

PS -- glad you like it.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 17th October 2009 at 02:01 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I just read a review, that mentioned a similarity to L'Artisan's Mure et Musc. Anyone smell any similarities? Hell, a more masculine version of Mure et Musc sounds great to me!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Eucris is distinctive. Not sure if I like it, but definitely give it credit for being different.

I'd say that the berry note is very background in Eucris, and quite foreground in Mure et Musc.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Mure et Musc is a blackberry scent.
    Eucris has a blackcurrant note - this shares aspects with mint. It is dry and has no sweetness about it. Blackcurrant has a slightly urinous, animalic quality about it too. In Eucris, it is integrated into a complex mixture of accords including cumin (which picks up on the animalic theme), a very nice floral heart of lilly and jasmine with a little indolic twist, some moss, pepper, cumin and some sandalwood and musk at its base.

It is probably my most worn scent and I find it works very well as a "smart-casual" rather than formal. Its longevity and sillage are excellent.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 18th October 2009 at 12:11 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I don't like Eucris at all, but I have to admit that it is a very high quality scent made with excellent materials. It's just totally not my style. Although to me Eucris smells like something from the classic British school of men's perfumery, I can't say that I've smelled anything else like it. To me, it does smell like something from about 200 years ago. I also agree that it would definitely best suit a man over 40 years old, but that's not to say a younger guy couldn't pull it off. I think if you like Eucris an awful lot and you wear it OFTEN enough, people around you will become accustomed to you wearing it, it will become "part" of you, and you''l be able to wear it convincingly. Although I don't like Eucris, it is a distinguished fragrance, and you may impress people with the fact that you're not wearing another faceless clone fragrance from Macy's.

It smelled like dirt and wood or perhaps dirty wood with some Victorian musk. I don't really like many Trumper fragrances unfortunately. I do love their shaving creams though!

There is nothing to link Eucris to Mure et Musc. I'm a big fan of the Trumper line but Eucris is a bit too funky for me
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Eucris is wonderful cologne!
    While I think it`s from 60-70`s (Basenotes directory gives a date in the beginning of XX century), as one could conclude from some definite features.
    1) blackcurrant buds abs came into production in 1960`s.
    2) too much spices to load - alike are Macassar Rochas, Derby Guerlain, etc.

There were a lot of cheaper copycats of Eucris in 80-90`s - and I`ve met those scents almost everyday in transport.

If you like Eucris, try Jean-Louis Scherrer - femimine green chypre with galbanum, blackcurrant buds, and great animalistic musks in sillage. It`s cheap and excellent.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Eucris is wonderful cologne!
    While I think it`s from 60-70`s (Basenotes directory gives a date in the beginning of XX century), as one could conclude from some definite features.
    1) blackcurrant buds abs came into production in 1960`s.
    2) too much spices to load - alike are Macassar Rochas, Derby Guerlain, etc.

There were a lot of cheaper copycats of Eucris in 80-90`s - and I`ve met those scents almost everyday in transport.

If you like Eucris, try Jean-Louis Scherrer - femimine green chypre with galbanum, blackcurrant buds, and great animalistic musks in sillage. It`s cheap and excellent.
    There was a Eucris back in the early XXth but I'm pretty sure it was a hair dressing (possibly with a muguet fragrance).
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    There was a Eucris back in the early XXth but I'm pretty sure it was a hair dressing (possibly with a muguet fragrance).
    Thanks, Hirch_D,
    That`s makes a perfect sense.
    I found Eucris mentioned in James Bond forum, and people were discussing some body products named Eucris in some bathroom.
    I haven`t any chance to find or try Eucris hair dressing stuff due to Iron Curtain...

So Basenotes needs to be corrected in Fragrance Directory.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Hate to bump up an old thread, but I wanted to note that Eucris has existed in hairdressing form at least since the 1950s. I've not sample it...yet, but it appears to have a light lily/jasmine fragrance. There is apparently a disconnect between the cologne and the hairdressing. I would suspect the cologne takes takes the lily/jasmine heart and imposes with lavender, loads of moss, cumin, coriander, sandalwood, musk, etc.

I will try to get some of the and see how it compares to the cologne. Reviewers on other forums have described it as similar to the GFT Violets, which I thought smelled like bubble gum

What's the etymology of the word eucris? It looks a little Greek, but I couldn't find anything online to verify that hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollen Head View Post
    What's the etymology of the word eucris? It looks a little Greek, but I couldn't find anything online to verify that hunch.
    Actually it's not Greek as such, but an abbreviation of the Classical Greek word 'Eucharis', which IIRC has a range of meanings along the lines of 'pleasing', 'charming', etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollen Head View Post
    It could come from the word Εύχρηστον ['efxristos, 'efxristi, 'efxristo] meaning 'to make more useful' or 'to make better use of'.

Quote Originally Posted by whitefort View Post
    Actually it's not Greek as such, but an abbreviation of the Classical Greek word 'Eucharis', which IIRC has a range of meanings along the lines of 'pleasing', 'charming', etc.
    Actually, 'Eucharis' is the Anglicised version the Greek word meaning 'to be thankful'

This is a strong, distinctive but strange scent. Does not smell elegant or attractive to me. Wouldn't want to be standing in the elevator next to a person wearing this.

I wore this exclusively for about a year back in the 90's. It's the only Trumper scent I like; it comes in a great splash bottle, it has real character, it's brilliantly composed and has tremendous gravitas... and it's delightfully untrendy and old-fashioned which means you can get hip quick by wearing it now.

This stuff is a masterpiece, imo. I enjoy it most in the fall and winter. Very natural-smelling, dry and makes its presence known without drawing attention to itself. Classic, masculine, gorgeous stuff here.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe