Code of Conduct

Thread: Sables..

Default Sables..

IMO, the better, and more wearable Chergui. At first spray.. lust. Then I start to dislike it because of this strange sand accord.. but once it is gone.. it is creme brulee all the way.

Here's my biggest problem though. A lot of people love fragrances that last forever.. Well I don't. I don't mind if it lasts 10 hours or so, but typically, I like to apply at least 2 frags a day.. or else my massive collection will never see the light of day. This is another reason I tend to keep away from niche.. some of the stuff just lasts TOO long. Sables being one of them. I put it on 2 nights ago.. showered twice between then, and can still smell it.

Does Sables last too long on anybody else? And are there any other stand out fragrances from Annick Goutal that I should try? No florals or musks please

Default Re: Sables..

Annick Goutal Sables do you mean ?

I tend to wear 2 or more fragrances a day too so I spray only on fabric most of the time. Sables does last an incredibly long time and I find that if there is immortelle in a fragrance, the longevity is usual outstanding.

I'm a big fan of Annick Goutal. Other stand out fragrances for me:

Les Nuits d'Hadrien A citrus: Citrus, amber (Bergamot, icy Sicilian lemon, green Mandarin, tangerine, cypress, basil, cumin, juniper bay, ylan-ylang, vanilla, sandalwood, patchouli, amber, white musk)

Mandragore Pourpre An aromatic: Cyprus, spicy (bergamot, mint, star anis, rosemary from Spain, geranium, black pepper, patchouli leaf, myrtle from Morocco, incense, heliotrope). There is *nothing* else like this.

Duel A Leather (which I actually think has a very strong tea note): Green Maté absolute, Paraguay petitgrain, iris root, absinth, gaiac wood, leather, musk

Ambre Fétiche Amber, Vanilla, Leather (Frankincense, labdanum, styrax - Benzoin, absolute of iris - Vanilla, geranium, patchouli, Russian leather)
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 4th November 2011 at 10:16 PM.

Sables is incredibly tenacious because it's made out of two of the longer lasting elements in perfumery: Amber and Helichrysum (Immortal). Immortal is also extremely recognizable and tend to become overpowering in most fragrances where it plays the main role (Fareb, 1740, Immortelle Marilyn)...Most of the other Goutal fragrances are famous to have a poor longevity (with some due exceptions)...

Are you looking for something similar to Sables but less intense or something completely different?

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I think you're right, Sables lasts for freakin' ever and is really strong to boot, but I like the scent. I found Goutal's Eau de Monsieur a suitable, less intense substitute. It has some of the immortelle note but not as powerful, along with citrus, woods, amber and such. Very dry. I think it's discontinued....I sampled from The Perfumed Court then found a bottle on ebay, not bad.

I agree....something that lasts and lasts can get tiresome after a while. I had that experience today with Ted (Lapidus).

edit to add: Chergui is much sweeter than Sables or EdM in my opinion...

Sur la Plage

One of my all-time favorite fragrances. It was love at first sniff.

Sables lingers for days. One must plan ahead, and not get any on your jacket. Like Alfarom writes, AG has many fragrances that lack of longevity.
    Another Goutal that I love, but is next to impossible to find, is Eau de Fier. Smoke, citrus and leather over a black tea base. Nice stuff - good longevity.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th November 2011 at 01:49 PM.

Had the same experience as you, 48hrs and 2 showers later and I could still smell it on my arm, and I usually get terrible longevity.

Smells quite nice though, I'm tempted to call it a gourmand because it smells like maple syrup to me. Anybody else get this?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Does Sables last too long on anybody else? And are there any other stand out fragrances from Annick Goutal that I should try?
    Doesn't last too long on me. Everything else in their line is good IMO.

Yes you will have issues with the longevity of Sables!

(Aplogies The_Cologneist if this is seen as hijacking your thread) Your right of course you do not have to longevity just to enjoy a scent. Traditional mens colognes were for the most part, fleeting frags. It seems that especially with "niche" and their accompaning higher price structure the consumer is expecting a longer performance from niche a norm.
    Which has started me thinking that maybe I shouldnt write off any frags that are fleeting performers but revisit them for what they are including Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Sables is incredibly tenacious because it's made out of two of the longer lasting elements in perfumery: Amber and Helichrysum (Immortal). Immortal is also extremely recognizable and tend to become overpowering in most fragrances where it plays the main role (Fareb, 1740, Immortelle Marilyn)...Most of the other Goutal fragrances are famous to have a poor longevity (with some due exceptions)...

Are you looking for something similar to Sables but less intense or something completely different?
    Doesn't really matter. My skin tends to hold fragrances well, so longevity usually isn't a problem. Actually something with less longevity, and of the same quality would be great. Preferably something more available for sampling too. As Sables is available in samples. I am not gonna go and buy any bottle blind. I am just wondering which I should check out for those with similar noses and tastes to mine.

This was probably one of the first Annick Goutal scents I purchased and you're right The_Cologneist, it is the crème brûlée of scents. I get a great deal of longevity out of Sables
    - Expect the unexpected

This is one I've had my eye on for awhile now.
    Just blind bought a 3.4 tester off eBay for $56
    including shipping. If this is as good as I think
    it will be, that's a steal.

Don't think I've ever sampled a fragrance with
    Immortelle, but if it smells like maple syrup--as many
    seem to say--then I'll be ecstatic.

Doesn't really matter. My skin tends to hold fragrances well, so longevity usually isn't a problem. Actually something with less longevity, and of the same quality would be great. Preferably something more available for sampling too. As Sables is available in samples. I am not gonna go and buy any bottle blind. I am just wondering which I should check out for those with similar noses and tastes to mine.
    If you want to explore other Goutals You should go with Dr_Rudi's suggestions with the addition of L'Eau Du Fier. Otherwise for other Immortal based compositions you could check the following:

Histoires De Parfums 1740
    Huitieme Art Fareb
    Dior Eau Noir
    ELDO Like This
    Nez a Nez Immortelle Marilyn

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

For immortelle, an easier to find (though not as good as those in alfarom's list) is the recent Immortelle de Corse by l'Occitane; it is however more streamlined and more honey-gourmand, especially up top. I tried it only once on my hand and I don't think it has the longevity of the others.

cacio

Eau Noire is probably what you are looking for.

Any other frags in general with immortelle, so I know to avoid them.

LOL.. I mean.. props to its longevity, but jesus!

Sables was too much for my delicate constitution too. My favourite Goutal is Eau du Sud, a strong, dense citrus with good longevity.

Thumbs up Re: Sables..

SABLES is heavenly, IMHO. A must have of mine
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

My favorite Annick Goutal is Ninfeo Mio. I also like Sables (same problem as you though - its a 2 day commitment and if you get any on your clothes you have to wash them!) I've not yet smelled an Annick Goutal that I disliked, but these are my top two

Sables and Ambre Fetiche are the only AG scents that appeal to me.

LOL.. I mean.. props to its longevity, but jesus!
    1740 by Histoires de Parfums
    Cuir Beluga by Guerlain
    Eau Noire by Christian Dior

It is semi-gourmandish as it has that "maple" feel someone else noted, but also vanilla in the base which always has an edible feel to it (though I find the scent in general quite linear).

Eau Noir is probably the closest thing I've tried to it, but Divine has a few scents with immortelle in them, L'Homme Sage and L'etre aime (I find it more present in the Sage, however).

Back to Sables: it's one of the few I'm self-consious of wearing at times because it's just... different, but I have had positive comments when wearing it and never regretted buying a bottle.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

double post....
    Last edited by The Bark; 5th November 2011 at 02:38 PM.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Sables would last for three of four days if one didn't wash. That said, it's not a strong long lasting scent like Joop Homme say - it is there but it doesn't really project. I can ony really smell two day old Sables by sticking my nose against where it was sprayed. I don't think it would have any significant effect on any scent sprayed over it.

I've got the Goutal Monsieur scent. That only lasts about 4 hours.

Funny how no one's mentioned Eau De Hadrian - that used to be much loved around here, but seems to have fallen on hard times.
    Regards,
    Renato

I bought Immortelle de Corse, really like it. But I find the immortelle in 1740 & Eau Noir too much, frankly.

Where does Sables sit in relation to the new l'Occitane?

I like Goutals work - own Duel, Madragore - and given Sables is often cited as her piece de resistance I'm intrigued now after falling so hard for Immortelle de Corse . . .

Mr reasonable:

Sables is definitely rich and intense, more 1740 than l'occitane.

cacio

Thanks, cacio

Maybe this new one will lead me to appreciate immortelle more, I'm up for 'acquiring new tastes' - wouldn't be the first time. Will dust off the 1740 and give it another shot. Sables isn't available here, altho about half of the Goutals are, I really like the new one.

Basenotes Plus

1740 is probably a more complex version of Sables & lasts just as long if not longer. Huitieme Art FAREB imo is a much drier & more agreeable take on the immortelle.

Other than Sables, other AGs I enjoy is Ambre Fetiche, & the Mandragores. Duel smells really good but doesn't stay beyond 2-3 hours on me. But you don't seem to have such issues so give this one a shot.

Thanks guys.. I remember Annick Goutal was more talked about when I first joined BN, but not so much anymore.. I totally forgot about them. Anyways.. gonna try to get my hands on samples of Duel, Eau du Sud, and the Amber one.. looks interesting.

Just on Sables, one of my favourite Basenotes posts of all time, courtesy of DustB

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/275...=1#post2148919

Sables in the USA! I guess it must have been obvious from the thread, but I didn't get it. I stopped at Nordstrom today (Pentagon city, DC), and I finally saw it in their Goutal lineup. I celebrated by buying a bottle ($120).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    I'm a big fan of Annick Goutal. Other stand out fragrances for me:

Les Nuits d'Hadrien A citrus: Citrus, amber (Bergamot, icy Sicilian lemon, green Mandarin, tangerine, cypress, basil, cumin, juniper bay, ylan-ylang, vanilla, sandalwood, patchouli, amber, white musk)

Mandragore Pourpre An aromatic: Cyprus, spicy (bergamot, mint, star anis, rosemary from Spain, geranium, black pepper, patchouli leaf, myrtle from Morocco, incense, heliotrope). There is *nothing* else like this.

Duel A Leather (which I actually think has a very strong tea note): Green Maté absolute, Paraguay petitgrain, iris root, absinth, gaiac wood, leather, musk

Ambre Fétiche Amber, Vanilla, Leather (Frankincense, labdanum, styrax - Benzoin, absolute of iris - Vanilla, geranium, patchouli, Russian leather)
    for me too!!
    totally recommended
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

EAU NOIRE , though is greener than sables.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I bought a bottle yesterday. I tested several of the Goutal fragrances, but Sables was love at first sniff! This is a fragrance after my taste. Strong, spicy, powerful, yet sweet and smooth with excellent sillage and longevity. One word can describe this legend: UNIQUE!

To me Sables is a masterpiece, if you like Imortelle of course!
    I will buy a refill in my next trip to Paris!
    Nice stuff!