Code of Conduct

Default Avon, Jafra, Jeanne Arthes: The New NICHE???

One of my biggest pet peeves is being around someone wearing the same fragrance as I. call it shallow, call it ego, but I like to stand alone in my scent. That turned me on to the niche market initially, but pretentious prices turned me off. The jus was usually pretty good, but it did not justify the expense. So Istarted searching for oldies but goodies, Paco Rabanne's Tenere for example...but even then, the rarity often cast the prices stratospheric.

So what now?

One day. I bought Les Lions d'Arthes by Jeanne Arthes. I paid about $15 on eBay. I had no information about this brand or particular frag, not even on BN. Blind buy it is. Some lite resaerch netted me the following info: Parisienne cosmetic line, not that much different from Avon.

When my purchase arrived, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the packaging and the bottle. Even more surprising was the quality of the jus. It was very light though I could not stop smelling it. It is still the best vetiver I have ever sampled. Ever.

A few months later, I decided to purchase some Avon fragrances for men. I have tried a few Avon products from many years ago, (Trailblazer, Mesmerize, etc) and I got a bottle of Feraud, never heard of it, but I liked it a lot. It was marketed by Avon for the house of Louis Feraud.

So I started thinking...could the likes of Patrick Dempsey be good then? It is marketed by Avon as well. So I took the plunge. I bought True Force, also for dirt cheap on eBay and I love it! It is very much like Ralph Lauren's Polo Crest, one of my all time faves.

Fast forward to a few days ago, I bought Navigo by Jafra, essentially Mexican Avon. And as scary as that might sound, to my surprise it is also well done. It is giving me what I have always wanted: something unique. Because many have turned a blind eye to these houses (little to no reviews on BN) assuming the jus can't be worth it, there is a virtual plethora of undiscovered goodness out there...much like the niche houses would have you believe.

Let me be clear: I am not dissing the niche houses, in fact I think they produce some very good jus.

But these 3 houses offer the same experience at a fraction of the cost. Anyone know of other fragrance houses like these?
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Default Re: Avon, Jafra, Jeanne Arthes: The New NICHE???

Lomani
    Remy LaTour
    Paris Bleu

And there are still many more mass-market French houses along the lines of Jeanne Arthes.

Ever heard of perfume snobbery? Don't expect too many replies to your post... By my part, keep an open mind and enjoy!
    Last edited by Pollux; 14th July 2012 at 09:39 PM.

I could not agree with you more.....I recently bought a bottle of Patrick Dempsey II on ebay and I love it! I get compliments almost every time I wear it! Consequently, I have been curious about others in the Avon line-up most notably your purchase of Feraud and the other Dempsey offerings...Another cosmetic/fragrance line you might check out is Oriflame....I have been looking @ their Voyager scent....as the olfactory pyramid suggests that it would be something that I would like......Also like you, I have been curious about the Jafra line as well.....I am far from being a snob when it comes to fragrance....I approach it the same way I do my love of audio and wine....it is not about what something costs, but rather the quality and performance it delivers....

Banned

I too love patrick demspey 2. Avon does put out some pretty quality juice. I am right there with you. I am tired of paying up into the 60 dollar mark for cologne and be dissapointed by projection and longevity issues when you can buy from the avon line for 30 to 40 dollars cheaper and sometimes more.