Code of Conduct

Question Best Combo with Shaving Scents?

I was thinking about buying some "classic" shaving cream, with a badger hair brush and the whole bit. However, these creams come in, basically, three scents: Sandalwood, Lavender, and Lemon - I am particularly interested in Sandalwood, though I have only smelled it once and have no recollection of it.

I have, or am (thinking about buying) the following scents along with [frequency]:

-Burberry London [often]
    -Polo Blue [often]
    -D&G The One [rarely]
    -(Green Irish Tweed)
    -(Polo Black)
    -(Varvatos Artisan)
    -(Varvatos Original)

Would any of the three shaving scents jive well with any of my current or possible future colognes? Also, if any of you guys use one of these shaving scents and has a corresponding scent that works really well with it, could you let me know?

Thanks!

Default Re: Best Combo with Shaving Scents?

Sandalwood would be fine IMO.

Shaving stuff is usually very fleeting, it goes away quickly, so it won't interfere with any cologne you put on after. Just choose the one you prefer.

I remember an excellent description of shaving sticks (apparently the preferred form of shaving soap), either in a thread or linked from a thread, but cannot find the link anymore. Perhaps somebody else has it.

cacio

I agree with Cacio - the scents from shaving soaps are very fleeting and won't interfere with any fragrance you choose to wear.

I usually use Taylor of Old Bond Street's sandalwood soap with my DE. I also have their Eton Street cream, and the two lather very differently. Badger and Blade is a great source of information on shaving creams and soaps if you're looking for it.
    Last edited by Indaco; 8th July 2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: BN wanted to post my text twice.

I've been a traditional wet shaver for a number of years now. Above posters are correct. The scent of the creams or soaps themselves really isn't a factor to worry about mixing with your SOTD. That said, use some caution with your choice in aftershaves as that can interfere with your scent if not matched up well.

I assume you are referring to AoS products above which are great products no doubt. They offer an unscented AS balm when in doubt. You can even pump a blob of unscented balm in your hand, then spritz your hand with a scent of your choice. Rub hands together for a custom scented balm which will of course match SOTD!

Banned

Go with the unscented version as the above poster suggests. I used to use The Art of Shaving Sandalwood after shave balm and its scent would stick around for a LONG time.

i actually prefer the smell of shaving soap over and against cologne smells. In fact I buy colognes with one single thought in mind "what fragrance will smell like I have freshly shaved all day". The answer to this question is two pronged "pinaud clubman and rive gauche" #
    Buy Green Irish Tweed it's what cool water should have been.

Chanel Platinum Egoiste does it for me.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

I find just using a dull rusty knife and no shaving cream is the best way to avoid scent problems.

yeah, if you like the smell of blood and tetanus grrrr.