Code of Conduct

Default Looking for an old brand

Hello, I'm new here. I first got into perfume making when I was a teenager, and now I'm thinking of taking it up again.

Back in the 80's and 90's, there was this one brand of essential oils that all the health food stores carried. They were short fat bottles with gold labels and wooden caps. Most of the oils I used were from that brand, but I can't remember the name. They don't seem to be around anymore.

The main reason I want to know is because that brand made an ambergris oil (obviously not real ambergris, because it wasn't crazy expensive), and it was my favorite scent. Warm and slightly pungent, not at all sweet. I would love to find something like it, but it seems like there's a million different scents all called 'ambergris,' and since I'm doing most of my shopping by mail order I don't want to buy every one of them in the off chance of finding something like what I remember.

If anyone can remember the brand I'm talking about, that might give me something to start with. Failing that, does anyone know of any brick-and-mortar stores in Los Angeles where I could actually go and smell before I buy? The only place I've found so far is Whole Foods.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Looking for an old brand

Could this be the brand you are thinking of? I've had this in my collection for eons! The company is Sunshine Products. It's the only one I remember with a wood top. They are perfume oils, not essential oils though. There have been numerous labels over the years also. Look on eBay.

VintageMskPfO.jpg
    Last edited by Nymphaea; 9th July 2012 at 10:10 PM.

That looks like the right kind of bottle, I seem to remember the label being different, but it's been so long I don't know. I also can't remember if they called it essential oil or perfume oil.

It appears that the company is still around, but if it's the one I remember then they don't make the ambergris oil anymore. But thanks anyway!

Possibly the Amway products. Have a look here.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...mway-253086713

They had big lids and squat bottles and did an ambergris.

If you want a typical and inexpensive ambergris synthetic which would give you a good idea of the right smell, then I suggest you just buy some ambroxan from the perfumers apprentice and dilute it to 10% in either fractionated coconut oil or everclear if you preferred an alcohol base. It is very pleasant. Juliette has a gun is the perfume of this.

I think I have bought this before and it smelled extremely nice (but I suspect it is something like the above - no disrespect meant).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ambergris-...#ht_2352wt_982
    Currently wearing: Charisma by Avon

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind as an alternative. I don't know whether the ambergris I remember was typical or not, since I've never smelled any other and I can't find anything in the stores around here. I may end up having to order a few and hope for the best, but I'm on a budget right now so it will have to wait. But I appreciate the suggestions!